Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

I think the ability you're thinking of was the Gemini Effect, and that just created a temporary temporal copy of an allied ship.

Fwoosh boom pew pew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2LbEQbnFNM&t=220s

When I was 15 that opening was the coolest poo poo ever. Although even then I was slightly philosophically disturbed by the temporal copy idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the problem with holodeck Inception is that you have to have the power from somewhere, and the antimatter and dilithium and poo poo probably have to be real. Like at some point something has to be putting energy into the system.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Nothus Infelix posted:

I remember it. There are a couple references in Google Books. Here's one from Sexual Generations: Star Trek The Next Generation and Gender. It's quoting Jeff Greenwald's book Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth, but the Google Books preview of Sexual Generations had a fuller quote.

The split infinitive at the end gives a very Star Trekky feel to Mr. Braga's mission statement.

The full quote is a lot worse:

quote:

"Look," he says, "I’m very adventurous, experimental person striving to live out whatever fantasies I might have. I’m not into bondage and S/M. I’m not into voyeurism in the traditional sense of the word. I am something of an amateur gynecologist. I’ve been known to utilize a speculum now and again. The female body, as a functional instrument, obsesses me. If I were on the Enterprise´s holodeck…" He grins. "My greatest fantasy is to be with that fifty-foot woman from those 1950s sci-fi films. That would be the ultimate: To actually crawl up into a vagina."

:stonk: and I thought Roddenberry was the creepy one

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The internet has broken me to the point that nothing surprises me any more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jeri Ryan sure knows how to pick em

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bolian Blues posted:

Star Trek: I am something of an amateur gynecologist.

^I hope to gently caress someone remembers this when it comes time for the next thread.

1st AD posted:

Jeri Ryan sure knows how to pick em

You think I have a shot?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

You think I have a shot?

Dilbert says "no."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Tonight I will attempt to watch "Parturition", a Voyager episode where Tom Paris and Neelix raise an alien baby on Planet Hell. If I never post again you'll know why.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Amateur gynecologist" is a phrase that will haunt my nightmares.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

McSpanky posted:

"Amateur gynecologist" is a phrase that will haunt my nightmares.

The phrase doesn't actually bother me. It sounds like something that a guy who's overconfident about his sexual prowess might say to mean "Hell yeah I looooooooooove pussy."

No, the terror part is that he takes it seriously enough to... use a speculum. The closest male equivalent that I could imagine would be an amateur 1800s STD doctor. "Now let's put some linseed oil up your urethra!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skeesix posted:

The phrase doesn't actually bother me. It sounds like something that a guy who's overconfident about his sexual prowess might say to mean "Hell yeah I looooooooooove pussy."

No, the terror part is that he takes it seriously enough to... use a speculum. The closest male equivalent that I could imagine would be an amateur 1800s STD doctor. "Now let's put some linseed oil up your urethra!"

That was the vibe I got from it too. It's the kind of euphemism a sleazy gently caress at a singles bar would say. It's still creepy but for wholly different reasons.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Echo Chamber posted:

Don't forget FlashForward.

"I was loaded... OKAY?!?!?!"

(Okay, Braga actually wasn't responsible for that part. Just the show's premise and pilot.

I never watched an episode, but wasn't that based on a book?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bolian Blues posted:

I presume he is on some kind of sex offenders register, right?
"Brannon what are you doing down there?"
"Oh, just warming my speculum, Jeri"

Roddenberry was just a good old fashioned cheating horn dog who like to complain to co-workers when he couldnt manage to gently caress more than three times a day.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not usually in a hurry to defend Brannon but, keep in mind you're talking about a second hand account that was written in something called "Sexual Generations" that is available (presumably) only on Google Books. That sounds about as reliable as fanfiction. Sorry to crap on your fun though.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek: I am something of an amateur gynecologist.

^I hope to gently caress someone remembers this when it comes time for the next thread.

Remind me, if I end up doing it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not usually in a hurry to defend Brannon but, keep in mind you're talking about a second hand account that was written in something called "Sexual Generations" that is available (presumably) only on Google Books. That sounds about as reliable as fanfiction. Sorry to crap on your fun though.

As I said, I couldn't remember where I had originally read it, but I promise it wasn't on Google Books in ~1998.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

counterfeitsaint posted:

Fine, if he was drunk because the book-writers boozed him up and he was just making poo poo up he gets a pass. Even then maybe not though. Referring to a woman's body as a "functional instrument" is something that even Data's programming would tell him is creepy as poo poo. Without shuddering, try to take a second look at the sentence, "The female body, as a functional instrument, obsesses me."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Dark One posted:

I never watched an episode, but wasn't that based on a book?

Yep, and the tv show is far and away superior to the book in pretty much every regard. The book is about the charming British widower scientist who is, like, a tertiary character on the show. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Skeesix posted:

Fine, if he was drunk because the book-writers boozed him up and he was just making poo poo up he gets a pass. Even then maybe not though. Referring to a woman's body as a "functional instrument" is something that even Data's programming would tell him is creepy as poo poo. Without shuddering, try to take a second look at the sentence, "The female body, as a functional instrument, obsesses me."

"If you are referring to sexuality, I am... fully functional, programmed in... multiple techniques. "

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How did this thread get creepier than the last one?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Grand Fromage posted:

They gotta make up for Aatrek not being around. :v:

Also, the words "amateur" and "gynecologist" should never be used together in a sentence. :wtc:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nobody's posted a single link to Trekcore, dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course now I'm reminded of that guy in E/N who was going to make millions by running a site hosting leeched videos that taught women how to do vagina exercises.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nobody's posted a single link to Trekcore, dude.

Oh no! Where am I going to read my interviews with the brother of the best friend of the guy who wrote an episode of TAS...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Grand Fromage posted:

And yet none of us have raped a child. Yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you die on balloon Enterprise Holodeck, you die in real life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

If you die on balloon Enterprise Holodeck, you die in real life.

Because real life, statistically, IS a balloon hologram.

YOU have holographic lungs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Those of us that posted here on SA over a decade ago know the truth.

Only you are a real person.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You can order Sexual Generations from the University of Illinois Press here. I'm not sure how reliable Greenwald's account is, but it has the ring of truth. Don't Braga's episodes have a lot of body horror and transformation and stuff like that? That all seems connected to the idea of the human body as an "instrument."

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Sash! posted:

I am so close to my exaltation in the Celestial Forum.

Oh crap, I thought this was the BSG thread.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sash! posted:

Computer, end program Sash!-001.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nothus Infelix posted:

You can order Sexual Generations from the University of Illinois Press here. I'm not sure how reliable Greenwald's account is, but it has the ring of truth. Don't Braga's episodes have a lot of body horror and transformation and stuff like that? That all seems connected to the idea of the human body as an "instrument."

His credits list on Memory Alpha might as well read body horror and transformation (everything to do with it).

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
So, what ever became of Moriarty's box?

Edit: Holy poo poo, I past a decade... Thanks for making me feel old Sash!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Balloon Enterprise's one weakness is some guy in a spacesuit holding a sewing needle.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yep, and the tv show is far and away superior to the book in pretty much every regard. The book is about the charming British widower scientist who is, like, a tertiary character on the show. :v:
This is probably the case, but the show sucks anyway. It's quite clear they didn't have any real story plans and most (but not all) of the characters are bland or annoying. The premise was interesting, Dominic Monaghan was cool, and the show gave us sethmacfarlane.gif.

Ultimately, I've never seen Lost, but I'm sure FlashForward is a dictionary definition of how NOT to make a Lost clone. And they somehow were able to throw Nazis into it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Throwdown posted:

Destroyed when Troi crashed the ship in Generations?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sexual Generations isn't the source, it's quoting Jeff Greenwald's book Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth. I haven't read the book but supposedly it's from a conversation Greenwald had with Braga at a party at his house.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Binary Badger posted:

Balloon Enterprise's one weakness is some guy in a spacesuit holding a sewing needle.

Its Bussard balloon ramjets are able to funnel such small objects. :smug:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Throwdown posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, I past a decade... Thanks for making me feel old Sash!

You know what's even more insane? I'm pretty sure no one has had that "Everyone is Lowtax except you" title for 12 years. Hell, its been so long I can't even remember what it actually said.

I feel like Kor right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Kingdom posted:

Destroyed when Troi crashed the ship in Generations?

Hopefully Barclay saved it and it now resides on his mantle. Along with every other holodeck fetishy thing he owns.

• Locked thread