Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Aexo posted:

Actually, the only IP on the switches is assigned to the vlan used for in-band management.

It's a bit of a complicated story, but basically if I can get this to work, I'm trying to get F10's switch stacking technology, VLT, to detect what they call the heartbeat of the other switch through that port. Currently the heartbeat is detected (and I suspect all the secondary switch's traffic travels) across the port channel between them.

But to answer your question, yes, I have tried sourcing from the local port's currently assigned IP and I'm getting no response. I can't specify the management ethernet port, so maybe it's just a false negative that it can't ping the other side?

I am a little confused on what you are doing here, if you stack the S4810 both switches act as one logical switch. No heartbeat traffic should be passed over the management links. Typically what we did was stack two switches with the 40GbE QSFP+ ports. You use the stack-unit command to assign the interface that is in the stack-group. Note that "stack ports" are a little funky. For the 10GbE ports, a group of four is considered one stack port, while a 40GbE port is considered one stack port. Refer to the manual for a diagram of which stack ports correspond to each physical interface. All heartbeat traffic will then be passed though the stack port interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Bluecobra posted:

I am a little confused on what you are doing here, if you stack the S4810 both switches act as one logical switch. No heartbeat traffic should be passed over the management links. Typically what we did was stack two switches with the 40GbE QSFP+ ports. You use the stack-unit command to assign the interface that is in the stack-group. Note that "stack ports" are a little funky. For the 10GbE ports, a group of four is considered one stack port, while a 40GbE port is considered one stack port. Refer to the manual for a diagram of which stack ports correspond to each physical interface. All heartbeat traffic will then be passed though the stack port interface.

Right... So F10's VLT technology is a bit different from other switch stacks in that the control plane and configuration for each switch remains independent. You create a VLT domain which can span however many switches you want, and anything within that domain is considered one logical device, and you can have more than one VLT domain.

I do have two QSFPs between the switches. This is supposed to act as a load balancer and local frame relay from what I understand. This 80GE port channel should also come up as a VLTi (Virtual Link Trunking interconnect). One thing noted in their configuration guide is that vlan tagging on the VLTi link is not needed. But I was unable to get the heartbeat up (and unable to reach the secondary switch) unless I tagged the management vlan on the interconnect.

The heartbeat is needed to determine if there's a network failure, and how to handle it. So if a switch goes down, the heartbeat should fail, and tell the other switch(es) that they've lost a primary/secondary/other. If the interconnect goes down, the heartbeat should still be able to reach both switches and they'll just act as one a stand-alone. From my understanding, the heartbeat should be on the "backup" link, which is most commonly the management interface. Since I don't have an OOB in place, and using one SFP port on each switch (and two on my router) is quite wasteful for a backup/heartbeat link, I'm just trying to get the management interfaces to talk to each other.

The setup is 4x10GE between *each* switch going to my single router. Those 8x10GE is one dynamic/LACP LAG on a VLT domain. My customer connects various high performance servers to the switches on two different vlans.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Odom's CCNA book lists the following subnet IDs as overlapping (VLSM chapter):

Subnet ID: 10.1.0.0, Broadcast Address: 10.1.15.255
Subnet ID: 10.1.16.0, Broadcast Address: 10.1.23.255

Is this a mistake or what?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

jane came by posted:

Indeed, those don't overlap.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
There's usually an errata section on the Cisco Press site for those books. Probably worth a look.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I know the discussion was a few pages back, but I really can't say enough about the Ubiquity Edgerouters. $100/ea, and I get a feature set and performance level that I would expect to pay around $2k to cisco for (2901 w/ security). If all you need is ethernet routing and VPN functionality, these things are awesome. I've got them in around 30 branches, with multiple branches doing a backup link via OSPF over GRE over IPSEC. Honestly if ubiquity made a model that had a few FXO and FXS ports, I would probably never buy another cisco router.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

jane came by posted:

The new Odom CCNA book and supplement materials are rife with mistakes.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
^That's actually from the last edition for the now expired tests.

Are Lammle's new books better than Odom's new books?

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
Looking for a quick consult on the best way to achieve the PAT'ing of an allocated subnet of 8 addresses to multiple servers behind a Cisco Router on a few different subnets.

We currently have a Cisco 1921 connected to the internet on one Ethernet interface, with an allocated public IP from the DSLAM on the other end, and a subnet of 8 public IP addresses.

We have an internal interface with an IP on an internal subnet, connected into a switch that has servers and client devices connected to it across multiple VLANS. The VLAN routing happens on the switch and the router is only used as a route out onto the internet.

We've defined our inside and outside interfaces on the router and using static PAT rules are able to RDP into the servers from external sources by using the external subnet IP's that have been allocated in a one to one static mapping. I now want to extend this to a mail server on a different internal subnet. We will use a unique external IP for this from the existing pool. Before I make any changes I just want to make sure this will work? I've done some reading around using network object maps and other solutions but am unsure if this is only required to do multiple internal subnets to one external IP. This needs to be relatively simple.

Can someone give me a sanity check on the above? I don't have access to the config right now but can eventually post if necessary.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For you guys who work at carriers: what do you use for interior routing, IS-IS? Or have people been transitioning to OSPF?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

For you guys who work at carriers: what do you use for interior routing, IS-IS? Or have people been transitioning to OSPF?

Moved from OSPF years back to IS-IS in the core, BGP to customers.

EDIT: To be clear, IS-IS for IGP, but MPLS over top.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 2, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
OSPF for everything other than the VoIP network which is IS-IS

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

ruro posted:

I'm having trouble copying a new image to a 6500, and I can't figure out why. I've verified there is sufficient free space and checked that the file is readable on the scp server, and also tried tftp.

code:
6500-sup2t#copy scp://user@10.3.164.98/s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY.bin bootdisk:
Destination filename [s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY.bin]?

Password:
!
%Error opening bootdisk:/s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY.bin (File not found)
6500-sup2t#
It's currently running s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.150-1.SY1.bin and I'm hoping not to have to go install a flash card so I can use disk0... Am I just missing something really obvious here?

on a 6500 it's sup-bootdisk: when IOS is loaded

also don't use "bootflash" on a 6500 supervisor... that's for the route processor and has a default space of 64Mb.. Use bootdisk: (sup-bootdisk: which is on the switch processor and typically has 1G of space on the newer sups)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Moved from OSPF years back to IS-IS in the core, BGP to customers.

EDIT: To be clear, IS-IS for IGP, but MPLS over top.

I'm guessing the reason for this was because it's protocol independent?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I'm guessing the reason for this was because it's protocol independent?

It was more about the future abilities it offered that were built in for the MPLS/services we were looking at offering later on. Plus the nice things such as no forced area 0. Which was big because we are a global provider for DoD. It was just easier in the end.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Flash z0rdon posted:

on a 6500 it's sup-bootdisk: when IOS is loaded

also don't use "bootflash" on a 6500 supervisor... that's for the route processor and has a default space of 64Mb.. Use bootdisk: (sup-bootdisk: which is on the switch processor and typically has 1G of space on the newer sups)
Not the case on Sup 2Ts. They are bootdisk: and slavebootdisk: respectively (in my case, as they're running VSS) and are 1GB internal flash cards by default.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

Oh yeah... the 2T did away with SP and RP?

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Flash z0rdon posted:

Oh yeah... the 2T did away with SP and RP?

Yeah, they did away with separate RP and SP and replaced them with a single dual core CPU that handles both.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks and god bless.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I think it's ironic (tragic?) that I don't even have any IGPs running anymore. Especially considering all the work I had done with them formerly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm currently on a network that is using public IP addresses for internal addressing. :lol:

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 3, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm currently on a network that is using public IP addresses for internal addressing. :lol:

What, you want to use NAT?

jwh posted:

I think it's ironic (tragic?) that I don't even have any IGPs running anymore. Especially considering all the work I had done with them formerly.

No IGPs and no RFC1918...is this the future?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

What, you want to use NAT?

It's just not something you see very much, even with government agencies that own large blocks of private address space.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
It's very common in .edu space, since most got their addresses before ARIN existed. It makes routing/firewalling soooo easy.

Comedy answer: So what? Any modern IPv6 network is all public. What rock do you live under? :smaug:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

psydude posted:

It's just not something you see very much, even with government agencies that own large blocks of private address space.

I work for a college and someone was wise enough to get us a class B back in the day.

They were also wise enough to get us a class C. Students were demolishing our address space with wireless gadgets, so all of them had to go private with NAT. :v:

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Aexo posted:

Right... So F10's VLT technology is a bit different from other switch stacks in that the control plane and configuration for each switch remains independent. You create a VLT domain which can span however many switches you want, and anything within that domain is considered one logical device, and you can have more than one VLT domain.

I do have two QSFPs between the switches. This is supposed to act as a load balancer and local frame relay from what I understand. This 80GE port channel should also come up as a VLTi (Virtual Link Trunking interconnect). One thing noted in their configuration guide is that vlan tagging on the VLTi link is not needed. But I was unable to get the heartbeat up (and unable to reach the secondary switch) unless I tagged the management vlan on the interconnect.

The heartbeat is needed to determine if there's a network failure, and how to handle it. So if a switch goes down, the heartbeat should fail, and tell the other switch(es) that they've lost a primary/secondary/other. If the interconnect goes down, the heartbeat should still be able to reach both switches and they'll just act as one a stand-alone. From my understanding, the heartbeat should be on the "backup" link, which is most commonly the management interface. Since I don't have an OOB in place, and using one SFP port on each switch (and two on my router) is quite wasteful for a backup/heartbeat link, I'm just trying to get the management interfaces to talk to each other.

The setup is 4x10GE between *each* switch going to my single router. Those 8x10GE is one dynamic/LACP LAG on a VLT domain. My customer connects various high performance servers to the switches on two different vlans.

I took a look at VLT and that's their newer stacking technology that recently came out. Sorry I can be much help since I'm more accustomed to the older stacking method (which has a maximum of 3 S4810 switches). I am pretty sure the VLT stuff is on a different software train so you will have to download a different branch if you want the older-style stacking. In our experience, this has worked pretty well but of course you have the risk of split brain if both switches go wonky. This is how we hooked up a typical server:

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

I have a customer that's using someone else's public IP addresses for internal addressing.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

1000101 posted:

I have a customer that's using someone else's public IP addresses for internal addressing.
I am ashamed to admit that we do this. It's a legacy thing and it's pretty dumb. We've been working to get off of this scheme but with remote branch offices that will need a physical visit for things like alarm panels and DVRs, it's a long, drawn out process.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Bluecobra posted:

I took a look at VLT and that's their newer stacking technology that recently came out. Sorry I can be much help since I'm more accustomed to the older stacking method (which has a maximum of 3 S4810 switches). I am pretty sure the VLT stuff is on a different software train so you will have to download a different branch if you want the older-style stacking. In our experience, this has worked pretty well but of course you have the risk of split brain if both switches go wonky. This is how we hooked up a typical server:

Thanks for looking in to it. This researcher's proposal explicitly mentioned VLT several times, so my hands are tied in that we have to use this technology.

I thought maybe throwing a dummy switch and assigning a /31 to each management interface might trick it in to working, but I was unsuccessful. Next up I'm going to try private addressing it through their other switch stack, which is eventually going to live behind this VLT stack.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

psydude posted:

OSPF holds my loopbacks, iBGP for customer prefixes. If I was rolling again from the start right now I'd likely use IS-IS for the better handling of dual stack networks.

e:
Just opened a new POP in 56 Marietta, what a shithole. Security is the worst I've ever seen at a data center.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

FatCow posted:

OSPF holds my loopbacks, iBGP for customer prefixes. If I was rolling again from the start right now I'd likely use IS-IS for the better handling of dual stack networks.

e:
Just opened a new POP in 56 Marietta, what a shithole. Security is the worst I've ever seen at a data center.

I read this and wondered if someone makes rack intrusion detectors similar to those you can get for PC cases, and it turns out they exist! Learn something new every day...

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
OSPFv3 has multi-AF support. Other than the flexibility that TLVs afford ISIS both IGPs are a pretty much a wash.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Internap's security is pretty wild: bsn2 innerbelt in Somerville, MA, requires 13 security doors, two badges, and biometrics, to get from the parking lot to a customer cage. And even then, a desk agent has to unlock the cage.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
I was wondering about how Cisco uses it's hashes.
For example, when I use a SHA-256 hash online on a word, across multiple websites, I always get

"E73B79A0B10F8CDB6AC7DBE4C0A5E25776E1148784B86CF98F7D6719D472AF69"

Whereas when I stick the same word in IOS to get hashed, I get

username test privilege 15
secret 4 tnhtc92DXBhelxjYk8LWJrPV36S2i4ntXrpb4RFmfqY

where I'm pretty sure "secret 4" indicates SHA-256 hashing.

Does anyone know why the two would be different, or how I'd be able to get the original hashing?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
The former is base 16 (Hex) and latter is base 64?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
As long as the IOS is compatible across both, can I stack a 3750x into a 3750g stack?

The 3750g stack as it exists now is running c3750-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE1.bin. I believe the base IOS compatibility for a 3750x is 12.2(53)SE2. No problems there?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I thought that SHA-256 hash for secret passwords was a broken implementation.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Indeed, here's the PSIRT:

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityResponse/cisco-sr-20130318-type4

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

inignot posted:

I thought that SHA-256 hash for secret passwords was a broken implementation.

Yes. But also realize that all cisco hashes are salted. It's not a sha-256(string) = hash. It's sha-256(salt+string) = hash.

Although apparently in the broken type-4 implementation it doesn't even salt it, so I don't know what you wouldn't get matching hashes for the same input values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Aexo posted:

The former is base 16 (Hex) and latter is base 64?

Tried converting it, seems like they don't come out as one another after converting.