Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octag
Sep 16, 2012
Rotom-W is about as close to a perfect counter as you're going to get: it resists Flare Blitz/Brave Bird, takes almost no damage from coverage moves like U-Turn, and Rotom-W can put Talonflame in a lose-lose situation by using Volt Switch: if Talonflame stays in it gets KOed, if Talonflame switches or U-Turns, you Volt Switch after him and can switch to an appropriate counter to their new Pokémon.

Rotom-W is amazing.

Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Heatran (when it's released) are also pretty much perfect counters: they take nothing from any of its attacks and can 1HKO or even set up in Talonflame's face with Stealth Rock/Substitute/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

I hate how many of those gen 4 evolutions are downright unusable, Yanmega and Togekiss stand out as being really great, but they absolutely refuse to give Magnezone Levitate because Gamefreak loves holding otherwise great pokemon back. That is unless your name is Tyranitar, then you increasingly ridiculous buffs every generation.

Tangrowth has gotten better every gen since its introduction and looks baller as gently caress. :colbert:
Magnezone doesn't need Levitate because it traps and kills steels like it ain't nothing. I'm looking at a list of the evolutions and I cannot name a single one of these that doesn't do well in its respective tier.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I guess this is the only place to ask, I've seen a couple of people throughout the years that have cartoonishly drawn pokemon with the :v: face as their avatars, and I seem to recall there being a series of drawings of many pokemon in this style. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I would love to find that again if I could.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I wouldn't need to use Talonflame online if it wasn't for the fact that people on Battle Spot use Legendaries. Gale Wings saved my rear end more times than it probably ever should.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

notthegoatseguy posted:

EV reducing berries can't be used if a Pokemon doesn't have any EVs

They'll still become more friendly though, right? If it isn't clear by now, EVs, IVs, etc. are a giant black hole in my Pokemon knowledge.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BougieBitch posted:

I included the 10%. The reason the difference isn't extremely noticeable in this case is because I choose those two spreads to demonstrate a case where every stat would be equal or higher. In actuality, the best spread for the Calm-natured Goodra would move several of those points from HP to Sp D. Additionally, because these builds had to invest fairly heavily into speed (for no particular reason other than to give a specific example), there were fewer EVs available to invest in defensive stats. The effect becomes more noticeable the more points you have available.

Hey, just to bring this up again, were you saying that I shouldn't invest 252 in SpA if I have a Calm Goodra? I understand the spread of HP and SpD since it would make more sense to push more towards HP to withstand physical attacks while SpD is already monstrous.

I just don't get why I shouldn't put the remaining (of the split 252 in HP and SpD) in to SpA.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
I'm trying to make a team for the Battle Maison but I'm not sure who to use as a third. I'd like to use Kangaskhan and Azumarill if possible or in the worst situation at least one of the two.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LightningKimba posted:

I wouldn't need to use Talonflame online if it wasn't for the fact that people on Battle Spot use Legendaries. Gale Wings saved my rear end more times than it probably ever should.

Play ranked then. Alternatively, realize that the vast majority of people that use legendaries are bad and you can easily outplay them.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Just fought a guy with a Claydol in the Battle Maison and I am super disappointed that its head doesn't rotate at a constant slow pace.

Related; all the recommendations of protean Greninja are totally justified, the matchmaker doesn't seem to know how to deal with it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Rahonavis posted:

They'll still become more friendly though, right? If it isn't clear by now, EVs, IVs, etc. are a giant black hole in my Pokemon knowledge.

An easy trick to increasing friendship is giving a pokemon one Vitamin then using the respective berry to reduce it to zero again :eng101:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a point where the NPC trainers will begin using more than 3 Pokemon? The game feels like it has no challenge at all. I mean, I know I could probably just battle online but at this point I'm probably the equivalent of that lovely fisherman that sends out six magikarps.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Each of the Elite 4 only has 4 pokemon, though the champion has 6. It really is kind of ridiculous.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
On the Dugtrio wagon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I played W2. Trainers don't seem to have nearly as many pokemon as they did in the old games.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
So apparently Project Pokemon found pictures of Volcanion, Hoopa, and Diancie.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Yeah, here they are (spoilered for people who don't want to see them yet):

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rahonavis posted:

They do. The berries only do nothing if they're at 0 EV and Max Friendship.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ruggington posted:

Tangrowth has gotten better every gen since its introduction and looks baller as gently caress. :colbert:
Magnezone doesn't need Levitate because it traps and kills steels like it ain't nothing. I'm looking at a list of the evolutions and I cannot name a single one of these that doesn't do well in its respective tier.
No mention of Gliscor or Mamoswine either. Mamo is a fragile anti-metagame superstar and Gliscor is one of the hardiest, most annoying pokemon around (he pretty much walls anything but Ice/Water). And as you mentioned, Magnezone is a pretty amazing anti-Steel and having Levitate would be ridiculous, Earthquake is a necessary check on something that strong.

Magmortar/Electivire could stand to be a little better though. Did they get anything good this gen?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

It wasn't them, it was the french coder who made Portal DS, Smealum.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Brett824 posted:

Yeah, here they are (spoilered for people who don't want to see them yet):

... But I looked back and they weren't posted yet?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I played W2. Trainers don't seem to have nearly as many pokemon as they did in the old games.

At least with BW2 there was the challenge mode (that was amazing, even if it was implemented in the worst way possible).

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey guys I'm thinking of a battle maison team, but I can't think of a third for MMawile and Gyarados. You guys got any ideas?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Magmortar/Electivire could stand to be a little better though. Did they get anything good this gen?

Electivire got Power-up Punch and Ion Deluge if you like kind of gimmicky bullshit.

Magmortar got a resist and not much else

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apparently some guy who played the game got a bad egg to appear on Oct 13. Despite Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia collectively lighting their hair on fire and shouting "WONDER TRADING BAD EGGS CAN CAUSE ALL YOUR POKEMON TO BE ERASED!!! HACKERS :argh: :argh: ", what actually happened was this guy just somehow managed to get Bad Eggs to appear in his PC box after capturing a Pokemon.

According to him, he caught a Pokemon and several bad eggs appeared throughout his PC Boxes. Most of them appeared in empty slots but those that didn't erased the Pokemon that were there.

Since it happened on Oct 13, there was no advancement at the time for hacking and there's only a handful of people capable of hacking the game (and as far as I know, directly modding the game still isn't possible, but fake GTSing Pokemon kind of sort of is but isn't publicly available at this time). He says the Bad Eggs can't be normally traded, traded via GTS, or Wonder Trade and are just sitting there in his PC box. The rumor that the Bad Eggs multiply and overtake an entire PC box is completely false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjsySmLeBS0

I personally am kind of doubting that this is actually a thing. While in theory Bad Eggs can appear in prior generations in normal gameplay, it is extremely hard to even make it purposely happen outside of hacking and most times the hacking means a botched AR code. Maybe there's some shenanigans where the internals of his 3ds are hosed up but since there's really only one report of this glitch happening, I'm guessing there's something hosed up about this guy's system rather than a glitch that can occur in anyone's game.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
The PKX editor and what work has been done with Wonder Trade packets has absolutely no bearing on this "bad egg" thing and it's all just weird sensationalism. If people had a way of injecting anything into anything, you'd hear about a lot more than just bad eggs.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

For those of you worried about Talonflame, just use any Pokemon with good defense that isn't weak to his STABs, or pretty much any Rock-type ever. Gale Force is a good ability, but Talonflame gets pretty much no coverage moves whatsoever.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Talonflame is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, by the way.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Constable Lemon posted:

For those of you worried about Talonflame, just use any Pokemon with good defense that isn't weak to his STABs, or pretty much any Rock-type ever. Gale Force is a good ability, but Talonflame gets pretty much no coverage moves whatsoever.

Oh no, Gale Force would certainly be broken. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taunt combined with shadow tag is hilarious against status abusers.

Z4QW-WWWW-WWW2-ELUJ

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Constable Lemon posted:

I'm just past the 5th gym and I'm liking Talonflame generally but I'm kind of disappointing that the first physical fire move it learns is Flame Charge, a move that I've really only seen Fire Pokemon get when they're fairly low in levels like Tepig in Gen 5.

I guess in competitive mons its Hidden Ability could be useful as a priority revenge killer but it is so loving fast already I don't know how useful it'd be.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm just past the 5th gym and I'm liking Talonflame generally but I'm kind of disappointing that the first physical fire move it learns is Flame Charge, a move that I've really only seen Fire Pokemon get when they're fairly low in levels like Tepig in Gen 5.

Head to the Move Relearner, use a Heart Scale to teach it Flare Blitz.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

notthegoatseguy posted:

I guess in competitive mons its Hidden Ability could be useful as a priority revenge killer but it is so loving fast already I don't know how useful it'd be.

Boy are you in for a surprise. It doesn't learn any other Fire moves via level-up after Flame Charge.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I just learned that Pancham's German name is Pam-Pam :3:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

These pokemon have had their pictures circulated for almost a week now back when Smealum revealed them, it's nothing special and you're really late to report on it.

Here are the actual pictures since that guy who posted after you is a derp :siren: spoilers i guess if you care about poo poo that wont be in the game for literally two years :siren:

Hoopa: http://i.imgur.com/5FoxJuI.png
Volcanion: http://i.imgur.com/YmR49de.png http://i.imgur.com/SDb7dqZ.png
Diancie: http://i.imgur.com/Sirjtar.png http://i.imgur.com/PRbQxpE.png

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Emalde posted:

These pokemon have had their pictures circulated for almost a week now back when Smealum revealed them, it's nothing special and you're really late to report on it.

Here are the actual pictures since that guy who posted after you is a derp :siren: spoilers i guess if you care about poo poo that wont be in the game for literally two years :siren:

Hoopa: http://i.imgur.com/5FoxJuI.png
Volcanion: http://i.imgur.com/YmR49de.png http://i.imgur.com/SDb7dqZ.png
Diancie: http://i.imgur.com/Sirjtar.png http://i.imgur.com/PRbQxpE.png

Why two years? And I guess that last one is Fairy/Rock? Interesting typing, at least.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Two years because he's being very negative about how Game Freak/Nintendo are going to distribute them in their events. Which is fair considering how far apart so many event pokemon are.

In any case Hoopa looks cool as gently caress.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Diancie almost looks like a Carbink evolution.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Calaveron posted:

And I guess that last one is Fairy/Rock? Interesting typing, at least.

Psychic/Ghost
Fire/Water
Fairy/Rock

Calaveron posted:

Why two years?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Two years because he's being very negative about how Game Freak/Nintendo are going to distribute them in their events. Which is fair considering how far apart so many event pokemon are.

Arceus, Shaymin, and Meloetta took literally three years to be distributed to their respective games. Darkrai, Genesect, and Keldeo took two years to theirs. "very negative" my rear end. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's ghost/psychic
Fire/Water
and yes Fairy/rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Emalde posted:

Arceus, Shaymin, and Meloetta took literally three years to be distributed to their respective games. Darkrai, Genesect, and Keldeo took two years to theirs. "very negative" my rear end. :colbert:

Nah you're definitely justified. It's pretty ridiculous.

• Locked thread