Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

uPen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP-29LL5tGs

Everybody laughs like crazy people for a few minutes and the guy slowly realizes how close that shark came.

According to someone's comments someone on Reddit pointed out that it's not dangerous, not sure out they figured that with the lovely video quality but gently caress that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, I'm sure the gigantic shark was coming in to see if he was all right. After all, Great Whites have been know to help swimmers in distress and even aid them in reaching shore. In fact, some sharks have been known to fend off attacking, uh, no wait. I've got that backwards, haven't I?

(cheerfully stolen from Terry Pratchett and horribly mangled*)

*Just like someone being eating by a huge shark.

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

I like that the horror movie cliche of people stumbling and falling over while being chased by a monster is real.

Speaking of horror...

It's a basking shark. It's harmless.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

mcstanb posted:

It's a basking shark. It's harmless.

I don't care whether it's basking, napping, or getting its hair done. You can't trust sharks.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What if it's just busking and want some change, man?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Even if it is just a basking shark...

gently caress being in the water near that thing.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Stiggs posted:

Jesus christ is that thinks mouth a stargate?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Nope, just a big-rear end filter.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm glad you included the hyphen in that sentence because without it your post would have changed entirely.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Say Nothing posted:

I like that the horror movie cliche of people stumbling and falling over while being chased by a monster is real.

Speaking of horror...

I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't managed to hold on to the boat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

theflyingorc posted:

Why are they laughing at almost accidentally killing their friend.

Ghostlight posted:

Laughter is a very effective coping mechanism for almost everything, including being a giant shitheel.

Reminds me of this Cracked Article:

quote:

Before we laughed at fart jokes, droll puns or adorable kitties playing peekaboo, we laughed in relief that the noise in the bushes wasn't a saber-tooth tiger ready to rip our throats out.

To understand the origin of laughter we have to first define "humor." The most popular definition of humor is "incongruity" -- the state where something isn't quite right. It can be anything from a difference of expectations between a joke's build-up and the result (the punchline) or just general absurdity (an armadillo riding a scooter made out of dildos).

OK, but how about this: a guy marries his high school sweetheart and the next day he tortures her to death. That's definitely incongruous, but it's not really funny (unless he did it while wearing a Big Bird costume). So there's definitely something missing in this theory, and according to psychology professor Peter McGraw, that something is the key to laughter itself: safety.

According to McGraw and other researchers of humor (which is apparently a thing and no one loving told us about it), if people don't feel safe and secure, then they won't laugh. And back during the early days of man, that is exactly what laughing was used for: to signal that the situation was under control.

Say our ancestors heard a rustle from the nearby bushes and one of them checked it out, only to find out it was just the wind. He would then laugh to tell everyone, "There are no tigers there, man, so chill." If he just said (or sang) it with a straight face, everyone would assume that he's lying to get a head start for the jungle as it feasted on the rest of the tribe. But with a "Ha ha ha, it was only Enlil, the wind god, loving with us," everyone could relax and go back to lice picking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cracked posted:

Say our ancestors heard a rustle from the nearby bushes and one of them checked it out, only to find out it was just the wind. He would then laugh to tell everyone, "There are no tigers there, man, so chill." If he just said (or sang) it with a straight face, everyone would assume that he's lying to get a head start for the jungle as it feasted on the rest of the tribe. But with a "Ha ha ha, it was only Enlil, the wind god, loving with us," everyone could relax and go back to lice picking.

That kinda sounds like complete "Here's my theory and therefore I now believe it's a fact" BS.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey I don't know about that guy but when I'm really scared I laugh my rear end off in fear. So :colbert:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Say Nothing posted:

Speaking of horror...

They're gonna need a bigger inflatable.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That kinda sounds like complete "Here's my theory and therefore I now believe it's a fact" BS.

Yeah it smacks of reaching a conclusion after the fact, but it's about the best you can do till we locate the laughter center of the brain or the laughter neurotransmitter. I will say the thing that separates funny from tragedy tends to be whether someone died/seriously injured (and even then, enough time seems to mitigate it).

Like, if I didn't know all the AFVs with kids getting catapulted over their bikes ended with the kids being okay, I don't think it would be as palatable a thing.

Perhaps I am underestimating the malice and spite out there though.

e: I guess whether it's someone's own drat fault affects it to. I.e. Darwin Awards.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Quack posted:

e: I guess whether it's someone's own drat fault affects it to. I.e. Darwin Awards.

An interesting case, I was loafing around online browsing the Darwins, when one comes up with some guy who thought it would be a good idea to disconnect mains power from his house with just a wrench. He fries to a crisp, gets a Darwin Award... but the page has a link to a chatlog where his family breaks the news to everyone. There's crying, wailing, 'it can't be true's, etc, and it's heartbreaking.

poo poo went from :buddy: to :smith: in a HUGE hurry.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Senator from Eternal Champions, one of Sega's best 16 bit era games that ended up dying off because of Virtua Fighter (a third game was planned for the Saturn then canceled, and a sequel and 2 spinoffs were made, the latter of which are probably not worth your while ESPECIALLY X-Perts)

Zeether has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Nov 3, 2013

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Zeether posted:

Senator from Eternal Champions, one of Sega's best 16 bit era games that ended up dying off because of Virtua Fighter (a third game was planned for the Saturn then canceled, and a sequel and 2 spinoffs were made, the latter of which are probably not worth your while ESPECIALLY X-Perts)

Eternal Champions CD had some of the best fatalities in gaming, loved that poo poo. No idea if they were included in the Cart version though.

Edit - jesus christ I checked out X-Perts, that looks abysmal

Forti
May 5, 2009

:scotland:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

outstanding

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Weird how the car's shadow doesn't move when it's hit.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Male Man posted:

Whoa.......... good eyes!

Here is my atonement:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Male Man posted:

These days, who knows if it's fake or if it's gif optimization.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Otacon posted:

Whoa.......... good eyes!

Here is my atonement:

This guy doesn't even have a shadow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stiggs posted:

Everyone likes Whale Sharks, but Basking Sharks and Megamouths always get the shaft even though they are just as peaceful :smith:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

achillesforever6 posted:

Everyone likes Whale Sharks, but Basking Sharks and Megamouths always get the shaft even though they are just as peaceful :smith:

Its because they still have the pointy bit on the front of their faces, whale sharks just look so much friendlier.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

First off, Grei Skuring, your gifs are awesome as hell, please keep making them.

Second, could some kind person who understands how to do anything remotely image altering make this into an av?

Decided the baby needs to go and I really like that gif

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Balobam posted:

First off, Grei Skuring, your gifs are awesome as hell, please keep making them.

Second, could some kind person who understands how to do anything remotely image altering make this into an av?

Decided the baby needs to go and I really like that gif

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

They're both great man, but someone got one that was slightly more centered that just appealed to me more. Thanks all the same!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks to WrasslorMonkey in the Punchsport gif thread!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

CobiWann posted:

Thanks to WrasslorMonkey in the Punchsport gif thread!

Please tell me there are more of these in this style.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

crime fighting hog posted:

Please tell me there are more of these in this style.

Couldn't find that last one without a shitload of watermarks.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

poo poo, I just realised that the above post contains nearly 20 megabits of data, my bad guys.

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Nov 4, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ok, what about a priest a city worker and a white car is causing this 3/4 second loop of a violent eye roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Gyges posted:

Ok, what about a priest a city worker and a white car is causing this 3/4 second loop of a violent eye roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGV4smFWeGA

• Locked thread