Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think my favorite part of this strip is how even the alt-text gets in on the "bust on Teodor" action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for indulging this old man :shobon:

Teodor likes The Cure? Well that's just silly, The Cure is silly.

I never noticed it before but Teodor seems to appreciate the driftwood with "The Cure" written on it. It must remind him about eternity.

edit: I can't believe he's not following Tony Bourdain.

tacoman165 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 2, 2013

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'm reading from the beginning -- when do the alt-text jokes start?

Edit: never mind, it's pretty early. Just after the first Christmas strips.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 2, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that there's no @-=rAy=- but I take it to mean that he's maybe discovering LiveJournal at this point.
Didn't Onstad mention moving the Ray-in-Rehab plotline to the blogs because it didn't really fit with the return to a gag strip? I'm guessing he's too busy sitting around watching Lindsey Lohan's upteenth escape attempt to ramble into a computer.

Actually, just checking back, Ray hasn't been in the strip since gently caress You Friday. I wonder if that's an intentional thing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Kins posted:

Actually, just checking back, Ray hasn't been in the strip since gently caress You Friday. I wonder if that's an intentional thing.

Onstad's probably holding him in reserve until he figures out how to finish the high-school rehab arc.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I realized something.

I'm willing to put money on the idea that Onstad was inspired for things for Molly to do, say, how to act by his ex-wife. Seeing as they got a divorce, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't ever see Molly again, or she left Beef.

If we DO see Molly, it's probably gonna be a loooooooong fuckin' time from now.

Edit: In a meaningful, say-something-and-do-things way. Although she DID leave a nice-ish note for Beef in September, so I might just be talkin' out my rear end entirely.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

rotinaj posted:

I realized something.

I'm willing to put money on the idea that Onstad was inspired for things for Molly to do, say, how to act by his ex-wife. Seeing as they got a divorce, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't ever see Molly again, or she left Beef.

Edit: In a meaningful, say-something-and-do-things way. Although she DID leave a nice-ish note for Beef in September, so I might just be talkin' out my rear end entirely.

You mean like how we lost Baby from Overcompensating once that WHORE Talahassee Econolodge came along?!?

Just kidding. Even if Onstad drew from things his wife said and did trashing Molly as a character would be pretty drastic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't know how I would feel writing something that could be construed as ex-wife fanfic.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rotinaj posted:

I realized something.

While all creators draw immediately and essentially upon their life experiences I highly doubt he would dress his wife in purple pumps to fuel his not-having-much-money fantasies.

I'm sure that elements of the sweetness and resentment of a long relationship play into his depiction of Molly/Beef's long relationship, but it's not autobiographical.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I always felt that Beef and Molly's relationship was more an illustration of what it's like when decent but damaged people find love with one another and try to make a go of it. There may be some similarities because of how much Chris relates to Beef, but ultimately, I don't think it's supposed to reflect his relationship with his ex-wife closely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sigma-X posted:

While all creators draw immediately and essentially upon their life experiences I highly doubt he would dress his wife in purple pumps to fuel his not-having-much-money fantasies.

I will take any excuse to repost DRACULA DON'T GOT MUCH MONEY THIS WEEK MWWWAH-HA-HA :haw:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Téodor is positively pissed that Beef's getting some while he isn't.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

MMAgCh posted:

Pretty sure he's also decided he wants nothing to do with their sex lamp.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OOOH YEAH BABY SHINE THAT LAMP

SHINE THAT LAMP ON THIS SAD, SAD MAN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

Teodor is a "nice guy"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Not really, he's just trying to ignore that he's attracted to her because he doesn't want to gently caress things up for Beef. That's "not a horrible person" behavior, not "Nice Guy" behavior.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think guys half-considering getting it on with someone they know they really, really shouldn't must be a near universal experience.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well yeah. We're still operating on the whole "hmm, I should bash his head in with a rock, and take his mate" bits. The Whole Societal Construct is still a pretty thin veneer.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ok, answer me this. In your head, does Roast Beef do those Dracula lines in a Bela Lugosi voice?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Dodgeball posted:

Ok, answer me this. In your head, does Roast Beef do those Dracula lines in a Bela Lugosi voice?

He's dead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

Haha, honestly it's always struck me more as Roast Beef sounding (unusually) boisterous and loud and enthusiastic, not so much putting on an accent (after all, HE is not Dracula, it's what is under the covers :)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, honestly it's always struck me more as Roast Beef sounding (unusually) boisterous and loud and enthusiastic, not so much putting on an accent (after all, HE is not Dracula, it's what is under the covers :)

Same here, I just wonder how other people experience different scenes in Achewood, especially the read voice aspect.

Edit: I can't find the strip. Does anyone know which strip it is or what I should type into the robot to search? It's the future of achewood's characters, and Phillipe is always 5.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
This one's the one you want. Sadly/thankfully none of those predictions have come true yet.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

Same here, I just wonder how other people experience different scenes in Achewood, especially the read voice aspect.

Edit: I can't find the strip. Does anyone know which strip it is or what I should type into the robot to search? It's the future of achewood's characters, and Phillipe is always 5.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10022007

e: dang

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I wanted to confirm if that was Molly in Beef's portion.

Yuuuup.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Teodor needs special lamps to be in society. :smith:

On a side note, I went on a date a few weeks ago with a woman wearing cheap purple pumps, and couldn't get this comic out of my head.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fell down the Achewood hole after this, and ended up on this strip.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112007

Ray pays attention.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I've been reading through from the beginning again, and just got to "ah, marriage. The Great Indoor Fight." The internal consistency of this is lovely.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
If I ever get sad/bored enough to do a personals ad, it will be this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat, this dude can't even eat lunch without destroyin' men and declarin' the death of God

Every single Ramses line in this is incredible.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Jet Jaguar posted:

Fell down the Achewood hole after this, and ended up on this strip.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112007

Ray pays attention.

I've always wanted to strut into a room and announce that I've just had a completely trashy orgasm.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

chunkles posted:

I've always wanted to strut into a room and announce that I've just had a completely trashy orgasm.
Something like this?

Here are some more, courtesy of our own Gavok

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jerusalem posted:

roast beef is Renfield to his own ding-dong :(

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Smoke posted:

This one's the one you want. Sadly/thankfully none of those predictions have come true yet.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that one of those 2008 panels was featured in a strip in 2008 but I can't recall which one and damned if I'm going to look for it.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that one of those 2008 panels was featured in a strip in 2008 but I can't recall which one and damned if I'm going to look for it.

Roast Beef in panel 8, possibly more when I get further through.

Also, thank you for the trip down the Achewood hole. The Shrovis-Bishopthorpe was a particular highlight so far.

e: Superpenis Testicles

e²: Jumped straight to 2012 out of curiosity over those panels, and oh man the "off"-ness of the voices is jarring.

JessKay fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 4, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penis Ouija posted:

Also, thank you for the trip down the Achewood hole.

I'm reminded of such wonderful things while I'm down there:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hi, Achewood thread! Just caught up on all the strips since the last Ray/Beef flashback one, and this thread has like 700 more replies, so I'm just gonna ask here: Onstad got divorced? What happened? And do we know anything else about anything other than "there are new strips sometimes now and they're pretty good"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

gently caress typing out Ted's list, so:
That is perhaps too close to what my Twitter list would be than is entirely confortable.

Last two panels are among the best Achewood moments, and I even dare say comics moments, of all time. Teodor's vague panic and utter incomprehension at Ray handing him THE CURE wood, perfectly rendered only through timing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I love that I'm a big fan of Tom Waits, that quote really sounds like it could be Tom Waits lyrics, and I can't find it anywhere because I'm kind of sure it's made up.

https://twitter.com/Philippe_Hugs/status/396234185360154624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bown posted:

Hi, Achewood thread! Just caught up on all the strips since the last Ray/Beef flashback one, and this thread has like 700 more replies, so I'm just gonna ask here: Onstad got divorced? What happened? And do we know anything else about anything other than "there are new strips sometimes now and they're pretty good"?

In short: yes, we dunno for sure but he basically blamed the grind of producing and running Achewood 24/7 for ruining most everything in his life, and besides the new strips he also tried to get an Achewood cartoon series going (including making a demo, with Ray voiced by Toby Huss) but no TV networks were interested.