Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Guinness posted:

That's why I'm far more excited by the 2-series than the 3/4-series now. My E46 coupe is tiny compared to an F30/F32, but it's just about the perfect size for an urban DD.

My neighbor's brand new Civic that parks next to me dwarfs my E46. One time walking back to my place, I couldn't see my car behind the Civic and briefly panicked, thinking it'd been stolen, before I got closer and realized it was just hiding behind the other car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
I have an e46 too, and I've won many bets with friends about its size compared to other cars. I describe it as a compact civic sized car, and people tell me I'm delusional.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
So I'm in the middle of replacing my CCV on my 2000 323ci and I've never taken the throttle cable off, and it doesn't seem to want to budge. Am I just being a pussy about it or is there a trick to getting this off that I don't know? Also am I going to need to adjust it when I put this poo poo back together?

Pic for reference (Click for huge):

Also am I the only person who does this for multi-day projects? My friend came over as I was packing up for the day and laughed at my organization method.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Viper_3000 posted:

So I'm in the middle of replacing my CCV on my 2000 323ci and I've never taken the throttle cable off, and it doesn't seem to want to budge. Am I just being a pussy about it or is there a trick to getting this off that I don't know? Also am I going to need to adjust it when I put this poo poo back together?

Pull up first, then out. I'm not sure if it needs adjusting, however.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Viper_3000 posted:

Also am I the only person who does this for multi-day projects? My friend came over as I was packing up for the day and laughed at my organization method.

People who don't do this are bad people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Not at all. It's the smart way to do things, even if they aren't multi-day. I have a stack of old egg cartons in the shop for the same purpose.

Also, pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. It's saved my bacon many times.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Pull up first, then out. I'm not sure if it needs adjusting, however.

I'll give that a shot first thing tomorrow. I think the only things left in my way are that, the ICV, and Throttle Body. This project sucks a lot, but only because of how much poo poo you have to pull off to get to the CCV.

Motronic posted:

Also, pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. It's saved my bacon many times.

If I didn't wear nitrite gloves to protect my soft girly hands I'd take pictures. But so far this is mostly logical and I'm following a DIY with pictures.

EDIT: Last question, is there a way to check the DISA for proper operation while I have it out other than hooking it up to 12v? I'm basically looking to make sure the flap still has significant tension and that the pin isn't protruding/about to get sucked into my intake, yes?

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 2, 2013

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Size comparo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The 135i is the best thing to happen to anything.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Keyser S0ze posted:

Everything is bigger now.....even Camry.

Only thing that weighs less than my Panzer tank E34 on that list is the Camry and the E46 :stare:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

DISA is busted. Do I go with a $100 working part pulled from a car of unknown mileage or drop the $250 on a new one? Either way, I'll probably upgrade the internals with that GAS kit, but if I drop $250, it'll have to wait.

Also I managed to pull the throttle body today and am trying to coerce the CCV out. Any tips on getting it out besides cutting the hoses?

Since everyone likes pictures, here's where I stand at the end of today:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ugh I hate working in that region. Bonus my car has it's fuel filter down in that area.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

Ugh I hate working in that region. Bonus my car has it's fuel filter down in that area.

I have to give it to BMW, anything I've run into that really needs to be serviced regularly is SUPER easy to get to. It's when you start replacing the parts that go after 10-12 years that you run into poo poo like this. And it sucks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If you're buying one of the new BMWs is there a particular model you guys would recommend as a sporty option that you can live with in all seasons? I know nothing about BMWs and I somehow need to advise someone I know on their purchase.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

If you're buying one of the new BMWs is there a particular model you guys would recommend as a sporty option that you can live with in all seasons? I know nothing about BMWs and I somehow need to advise someone I know on their purchase.

The 1 or 2 series is probably the more sporty option now, the 4 is on the way and has x-drive which is BMW's AWD system. Honestly, most people in this thread drive RWD BMWs in the snow just fine. The difference is most of us put actual snow/winter tires on our cars and adjust our driving style. If you try and throw it around on all seasons when it's a winter wonderland outside, you're going to have a bad time and wind up in a tree or a ditch. I don't live in a place with real winter right now, but I know some other people in this thread do, so maybe they can chime in with their experiences.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If "all seasons" includes the expectation of having to drive on unplowed or badly plowed snow, make sure winter tires are in the plan. Not all seasons, but real winter tires that you switch on and off every year.

Beyond that, "sporty" is usually taken as a 1-4 series these days, with each generation getting a bit larger than the last. Some would argue that the 3/4 is too big and the 1/2 is where it's at now.

BMW's AWD system is not set up for performance, so if they insist on AWD and really want "sporty" I'd point them at another brand.

I find my RWD snow-tired E46 to be a great winter car and wouldn't hesitate to assume the same about current models, again when properly tired for the conditions.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 3, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I drove (scrapped now, thanks rust!) an e36 328is with non-functional traction control and ABS for 3 atlantic canada winters, no real issues.

But I may be the minority. Bring on the snow!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My traction control suddenly decided to start working. It slipped the first time, the light flashed, and when it finished slipping the DSC light went out and stayed out, and the system now works perfectly.

I only drove it around the block in the snow on the summers, and all the throttle pedal did was made the fuel economy gauge jump. I was hoping to get my winters plastidipped while it was warm enough but ended up working a little too hard to find the time/energy to do it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

wolrah posted:

I find my RWD snow-tired E46 to be a great winter car and wouldn't hesitate to assume the same about current models, again when properly tired for the conditions.

Both my E39 and my E60 had proper winter tires and were beasts in the snow. Well until the snow got about the front air drat then it was questionable (but that's every car).

If you don't get mega storms or ice a lot and maybe an inch or two is your heavy snow, some prudent driving and planning your route.. all seasons will be fine.

Speaking of winters - Any one interested in a set of winter wheels? Off my E60. The rubber is pretty much.... no nonexistent. 500 for the wheels?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Only thing that weighs less than my Panzer tank E34 on that list is the Camry and the E46 :stare:

GM says they benchmarked the E46 when they designed the ATS. They got pretty close and still has better crash safety ratings than the F30.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Size comparo

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but the 2002 STILL looks ten times better, has four doors and fits four non-fat-fucks quite nicely.

It's sad to see that this size car is considered nearly a novelty by today's standards.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is it really that surprising? If any other car hits the 2002 all four of those non-fat fucks are probably dead. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing car but lamenting about how we don't make them like that any more is kind of silly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Also that is a 2002 coupe and it only has 2 doors and it only fits 4 non fat fucks nicely if they're all under 5'8" or so.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Also, it's able to fit those 4 non-fat fucks by having a really tall, vertical greenhouse to achieve adequate headroom, which is terrible for aerodynamics, hampering both top speed and fuel efficiency.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
4 people are going to ride in the Tahoe....or just 3 of them and I'll meet them there in one of the other cars. :devil:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

Also that is a 2002 coupe and it only has 2 doors and it only fits 4 non fat fucks nicely if they're all under 5'8" or so.

Seriously. 4 people isn't even that comfortable a fit in an e36. An e30, e21 or 02 is just going to be uncomfortable. I used to carpool with my e30 and despite everyone being 5'7 or shorter the backseat still sucked.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Can you option a fully locking diff like the M cars have in the standard models? I would have no problem driving in the snow on winters with a diff that can pull this off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BKLn9yK-o&t=150s

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I put some much-needed 8x17" Styling 42's on my E39. :whatup: IMO, they're the best E39 wheels, perhaps along the M5 ones.

The Touring look has really grown on me, probably biased since I own one, but the "long look" with the tinted windows looks really cool. Add the sharp white light from the Xenon and it's like :whatup: gangster.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Can you option a fully locking diff like the M cars have in the standard models? I would have no problem driving in the snow on winters with a diff that can pull this off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BKLn9yK-o&t=150s

You can swap an e60 M5 diff in an e82 as long as you have the driveshaft from the M5 and the axles from an e9X m3 :v:

(Also the e9X m3 diff with the same bits)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

You can swap an e60 M5 diff in an e82 as long as you have the driveshaft from the M5 and the axles from an e9X m3 :v:

BMWs: Like Legos for Grownups

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Was the M variable only an option on the M6 platform? Why did the first model struggle and fail?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That was a regular peg-leg open diff 645, I believe. Only the M's now have real LSD.'

EDIT: oh it was an M6 as well just didn't have the diff locking.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 4, 2013

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Das Volk posted:

BMW is offering locking diffs now on the 2, 3, and 4 series, but they are performance parts not a regular build options.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

Was the M variable only an option on the M6 platform? Why did the first model struggle and fail?

"ohne differenzialsperre" means "without differential lock(ing)" and the second one they tested is one of the older 25% lock units. They're just using the M6 as a test platform for the 3 comparisons.

edit: That diff design has prevented me from crashing at least twice.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 4, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Party Alarm posted:

How does the 'active' part of it work? Are the brains self contained?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

wolrah posted:

BMW's AWD system is not set up for performance

Not sure what you mean about this, the xDrive system on current BMWs is pretty sweet actually. It's rear-biased and sends up to 100% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Not sure what you mean about this, the xDrive system on current BMWs is pretty sweet actually. It's rear-biased and sends up to 100% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Generally, the AWD versions of BMW cars are unable to be had with the sport suspension - even if you get the sport package, it only gives you the sport seats, but not the sport suspension. They also ride higher than the RWD versions of the car.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Generally, the AWD versions of BMW cars are unable to be had with the sport suspension - even if you get the sport package, it only gives you the sport seats, but not the sport suspension. They also ride higher than the RWD versions of the car.

I know this was true back in the days of the fully-mechanical AWD systems (e.g. E46 xi models), but is it still true now that they offer X-drive on basically everything?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Guinness posted:

I know this was true back in the days of the fully-mechanical AWD systems (e.g. E46 xi models), but is it still true now that they offer X-drive on basically everything?

Just went to the BMW website and looked at the new 4 series and it appears to still be the case:
428i-

428xi -

First pic is a screenshot for the details of the M-sport package for a 428i, second pic is the M-sport pack on a 428i x-drive. Notice the second shot is missing the M-sport suspension/M-sport adaptive suspension, the package is purepy cosmetic if you get it on an x-drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wow that is super lovely. Guess my next BMW won't be an X-drive after all.