Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Oh thank God. Tracking down copies in a city with 3 comic shops is a pain in the rear end. Though I was lucky enough to get 1-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Awesome Welles posted:

Were they rips from iTunes\Amazon? Because the series definitely hasn't had a full release in North America, only the first volume.

Pretty sure it was this one or one similar to it: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Season-1-Complete-Collection/dp/B0003JAK6C

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:ssh: We were talking about Monster.

coathat
May 21, 2007

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-03/berserk-manga-to-resume-after-miura-runs-6-chapter-mini-series

Well it's good if he really does start working on berserk again.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
He must be really tired of working on berserk

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Relin posted:

He must be really tired of working on berserk
I would be too after 25 years.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's been years and years since he produced anything like a meaningful side-project. This is wholly positive, and I'm p excited.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Urdnot Fire posted:

It doesn't stop Hirohiko Araki from doing Jojo's for over 25 years.

Miura needs to step it up!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oh, cool. I'm actually more interested in seeing Miura write a complete, self-contained story than I am with the next chapter of Berserk (unless it suddenly starts moving at several times the current pace), so that's great news.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

lyricaldanichan posted:

It doesn't stop Hirohiko Araki from doing Jojo's for over 25 years.

Miura needs to step it up!

Jojo's is a little different, since it's really more like 8 different series that are all connected than one continuous series like Berserk. It's also incredibly well-known in Japan, whereas my impression is that Berserk is a tad more niche.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd be cooler with this news if I didn't wait through a year of nothing to get it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

I'd be cooler with this news if I didn't wait through a year of nothing to get it.

I'm sorry your entertainment options are so limited. May I suggest One Piece? I get the feeling you may find that series updates considerably more often and is comparable in quality, if not maturity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm sorry your entertainment options are so limited. May I suggest One Piece? I get the feeling you may find that series updates considerably more often and is comparable in quality, if not maturity.

Why would you recommend One Piece to someone traumatized by Berserk?

The entire manga is "we're on a boat going to a magical island we haven't reached yet," you monster! :argh:

one piece is actually pretty good

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Phew, at least we know why he hasn't updated Berserk in past almost year. Good to know he's not dead.

Anyway I'm excited to read this short comic! And to see how Miura handles subject matter different than Berserk.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Awesome Welles posted:

:ssh: We were talking about Monster.

Oh. Whoops. Thought we were talking about Berserk in the Berserk thread :P. Missed the change in series hah. Yeah afaik only the Monster manga is here in the states.

Art style of the new series looks neat.. We'll see how it is. I just want Berserk to be finished before anything health related happens to Miura.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I just wish they'd put the series up for electronic purchase and reading. As much as I'd like the physical volumes it'll be pretty expensive to get them here in Sweden, and I'd really love to read a professional translation of the series.

VVV I don't think that was meant as a reference to you being immature so much as it's taking your "a year of nothing" at face value.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 4, 2013

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm sorry that you're so beaten down by Berserk that this news causes no reaction from you. Look, I'm looking forward to the new project, since I agree that something new will probably be good for Miura. Even so, a whole year with no news, no nothing, until finally news breaks out that Miura is working on something completely different is a let down.

But you're totally right, me being disappointed that this series still hasn't gone anywhere in over 365 days is a sign of immaturity. gently caress off.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
T'was a joke, you see.

Besides, they released the second movie in English back in August, and the third came out in February in Japan, so saying the year has had nothing is ignoring what we have gotten. No new chapters, but not nothing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SatansBestBuddy posted:

T'was a joke, you see.

Besides, they released the second movie in English back in August, and the third came out in February in Japan, so saying the year has had nothing is ignoring what we have gotten. No new chapters, but not nothing.

Right over my head, then.

I guess I didn't really think about the movies. My interest in them was pretty low though, so that probably explains that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

Right over my head, then.

I thought, with you having a One Piece avatar, it would have been obvious :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a failure in every conceivable way. I can never make amends for my transgressions.:smith:

So since you brought it up, did the movies get better after the first one? I remember it not being bad, but the retread didn't really move the needle for me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yes.

The second movie is pretty good. Much better than the first. There's still a lot of stuff cut from the manga, but mostly stuff that's either redundant or doesn't advance the story as quickly as other scenes do. Or politics. Basically all the political intrigue and drama is gone. This is mostly for the better, since all that stuff accomplished was showing how forward thinking and brutal Griffith is, which is a moot point since he's ultimately the architect of his own downfall anyway.

Third movie suffers the least from missing material from the book, and the improvements in animation made this one a treat for the eyes, so much so that you won't even want to watch since it's so loving gruesome by the end. You can tell this is where most of the budget for these movies went, it's basically the reason you want to watch these movies to begin with.

What I like about the movies is that they know when to directly adapt and they know when to cut poo poo so they can keep things moving and if that means making poo poo up then they'll make poo poo up. So the scenes they take directly from the manga are pitch perfect, but the scenes they decide to cut or change can occasionally irk people if you're familiar with the manga already, which most of us are. A lot of people prefer the original TV anime but personally I can't stand it, it moves so slowly and everything they cut or changed was really awkward and didn't fit the material, so I prefer the movies.

Neither of them can outdo the manga at it's own story, but one's a really low budget, low effort adaptation that took liberties that harmed the material, while the other is considerably higher budget, high effort adaptation that took liberties that mostly just made things move a lot faster and likely has a very different understanding of what "Key Scenes" they needed to show than what any given fan will say.

So yeah, watch these movies with the understanding that they aren't 100% perfect reproductions of the manga and you'll enjoy them fine. They're pretty drat good movies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

As a counterpoint, the Berserk TV series mostly cuts material that would have fallen outside the length of the show -- characters that never would have shown up in the first place given their constraints, etc. So there's no Puck, no Skull Knight, etc, but it does well by the characters who do get screen time.

The movies consistently cut or shorten character development scenes to spend more time on battles (which, as a rule, don't even look especially good. I'm a huge defender of CGI in film and animation and even I don't care for it much here.) So it's more "accurate," but it's also more like a cliffnotes retelling of Berserk than a proper adaptation.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 4, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes! Anything Miura is going to be quality.

Also: It isn't fair comparing Araki and Miura. While working for 25 years on Berserk has taken a good part of Miura's life, for the being known as Araki it is meaningless.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I generally enjoy the Berserk movies, even though some omissions/changes still bug me.

Third movie spoilers: I don't get why they show Griffith at the start of the movie. One of the biggest teeth in the TV series for me was this feeling of hope you get when you see Guts come back to rescue the Hawks. Then you find out they're going to rescue Griffith and you can just imagine him battered, but he'll recover and together he and Guts will lead a revitalized Hawks and be heroes again. Then you find just how mutilated and broken in spirit he is and it's such a kick in the teeth. He can't even be a general advising Guts or anything without a tongue... his dignity is completely broken.

In the movie it's apparent from the beginning that he's pretty hosed up.

Or is my memory of the TV series playing tricks on me?

Also, does anyone have any ideas what the hell the torturer did to Griffith under the helmet that is so bad that Guts doesn't want Casca see? Is it to do with his pretty hair? :ohdear:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

He was left in an iron helmet for months, at least. You can't even imagine the hat hair. :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

rapeface posted:

Also, does anyone have any ideas what the hell the torturer did to Griffith under the helmet that is so bad that Guts doesn't want Casca see?

Mohawk.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

rapeface posted:

Also, does anyone have any ideas what the hell the torturer did to Griffith under the helmet that is so bad that Guts doesn't want Casca see? Is it to do with his pretty hair? :ohdear:

Cut his tongue out and horribly mutilated (possibly burned, given the helmet?) the poo poo out of his face.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
It's not just that, they know he's got no tongue. Thought it was an eye in the TV series but you clearly see two in the movie.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
It was because this guy that was once regularly called beautiful even by males has been mutilated for I-forget-how-many years by the little jailer. The jailer says that he's scaled him with boiling water, sliced up his muscles and torn ligaments so it's all up to your imagination about what he's done to his face.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also it's at least partially implied that he was raped.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Maybe I've been reading too much G.R.R.M. but that was pretty much a given, I think.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Maybe the jailer was eating a sausage in front of Griffith.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LuisX posted:

Maybe the jailer was eating a sausage in front of Griffith.

If you think this story has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

If you think this story has an ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Made this a little more accurate.

:smith:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

You say that as if hes been doing much work at all on it for the past 5 years.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Hey, it takes months to draw all the Sea God's teeth and every bit of fish stuck to them and the plankton stuck to the fish and the one-celled organisms stuck to the plankton and

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I look forward to the smash-hit HBO series Berserk that turns the manga fans instantly into bitter old men. I will be right among them, angrily hunched over my walking frame. But I'm joking, of course.

All Berserk fans are bitter old men already

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Wrap it up Miura, nobody cares about elf island anymore, or tentacle pirates, we really don't care if Casca goes back to normal, we cried for her, she's dead to us, we moved on. Guts will cut a huge heart that controls fate and Griffith will kiss and make up and make a speech about how it all his plan from the beginning that Guts would survive the eclipse, raping Casca to make a toxic avenger baby was all coordinated so that he could have super rape-baby mind magic. We saw white people murder brown people, goat rape, horse rape, murder fairies, demon pope, we've seen it all. It's been 13 years since I first started reading Berserk, I remember when I first saw the anime, then read the manga's and thought how cool it would be in a few years when Guts killed Griffith. What the gently caress Miura. Wrap it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I just started reading this series randomly, and I think I've experienced every emotion possible. I just hit the Eclipse and am kinda unmotivated and too burned out to keep going. It's just such a gigantic amazing moment I've been waiting for, constantly wandering what the big fall will be. And it was handled brutally and tremendously. And with a little too much gratuitous rape. Griffith's story up till this was probably one of the most compelling and complex character plots I've ever seen or read. I really, really loved it. Really amazing and brutal and just... beyond the wildest expectations I had when you first see Griffith at the start of Gut's origin and know what had to happen. Also, never would have expected a well written love triangle(square?) to be one of the most interesting things in the plot.

I still really really loved it. This is a really, really great series. I hope it gets the ending it deserves, whatever that might be. I picked it up after enjoying Claymore for the monsters/action and not the story, and came out of this loving the story and not caring too much about the monsters or designs or action.