Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, LoS's plot is an amazing mess for something that has only had two games. Shoving the entire "turns into Dracula" thing into DLC was ridiculous and it was clearly half-assed and forced to justify it after the ending to the first game made it make no sense. Then MoF made the plot even goofier and gave us "Why is he called Alucard?! Because... um... I saw him in a mirror and didn't know his name."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

ImpAtom posted:

Bloodlines is fun as hell. At least part of why I didn't enjoy PoR that much

Oh what? I must have blanked that part out because yeah, that's around the same part of the timeline. Great. It's a shame how much PoR is a decent game, but just has all these bad design choices, reused layouts, animu art, messing with other characters, etc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

blackguy32 posted:

Gabriel had a son named Trevor before he left for his Lords of Shadow venture. Trevor in turn had a son named Simon. Trevor eventually sets out to kill Dracula and gets beaten, Dracula then realizes that Trevor is his son and he gives him his blood to drink to save his life. Gabriel names him Alucard.

Its kind of confusing but I felt it was a interesting change.

I preferred the old continuity, where the Belmont clan was basically born after this badass vampire hunter named Sonia got mad rutty with Alucard. I felt that was a better familial link to Dracula than what you described in your spoiler.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Calaveron posted:

I preferred the old continuity, where the Belmont clan was basically born after this badass vampire hunter named Sonia got mad rutty with Alucard. I felt that was a better familial link to Dracula than what you described in your spoiler.

That didn't count. IGA removed that from the timeline. What we got instead was the awful mess that was in Lament of Innocence.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Dracula has always been the most interesting character in Castlevania, and it's interesting to see how he grows into a more sympathetic character before he's "killed" for realsies and just becomes a dark god of evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know. Regardless of the setting it becomes a case of 'telling too much.' In both the Iga and LoS games it basically amounts to "man, Dracula is kind of a whiny rear end in a top hat."

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, really, that's his whole thing: angst.

In LoI it's angst against God for taking his wife away due to disease.

Around SoTN he isn't pissed at God anymore because the Big Man threw up His hands and said "OK here I'll give her back you whiny baby" and reincarnated her. Except that humans decide to burn her as a witch, so now he's pissed at them.

In LoS, it's, uh... well I haven't played that yet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'll add C. Goofass St. Germain. A story that is perfectly aware of how little it will matter in THE CANON and just has fun with it.

IGA was building some sort of time-travel related background details with St. Germain and Aeon. I have no idea what, but since he always talked about the 1999 game, and they had the cancelled game where Sonia came from the past, I wager it was going to be some sort of time-travel all-Belmont magic that sealed Dracula forever.

And now that idea is lost forever. Oh well.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, LoS's plot is an amazing mess for something that has only had two games. Shoving the entire "turns into Dracula" thing into DLC was ridiculous and it was clearly half-assed and forced to justify it after the ending to the first game made it make no sense. Then MoF made the plot even goofier and gave us "Why is he called Alucard?! Because... um... I saw him in a mirror and didn't know his name."

Nah, it was all there prior to the DLC. The DLC was just bullshit that added in that Gabriel absorbed the power of a super demon who existed before the birth of creation & strikes fear into the heart of God himself, by beating the living poo poo out of him with a metal chain (yet ol Dracul is still afraid of Satan kicking his rear end if he returns, for some reason...). At the very end, after beating Satan and using the mask, you see Gabriel's soul leave his body, ie, he's basically repeated the actions of the founders of his order and is now one of the two remaining Lords of Shadow. The post credits cutscene affirms it. They didn't give him cool vampire powers in the DLC because that would that would have required putting in too much work and thought into some lovely cash grab DLC.

If it isn't obvious, I really hate that DLC, haha.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Anatharon posted:

It's not Vietnam but..

Castlevania: Snake Eater. :aaaaa:

Dracula is able to live forever because of nanomachines.

Bought with the war economy.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mister Roboto posted:

IGA was building some sort of time-travel related background details with St. Germain and Aeon. I have no idea what, but since he always talked about the 1999 game, and they had the cancelled game where Sonia came from the past, I wager it was going to be some sort of time-travel all-Belmont magic that sealed Dracula forever.

And now that idea is lost forever. Oh well.

I doubt it. Germain's just saying he's helping out with 1999. His implication is that everything is predestined and not even he can alter it.

The way Dawn tells it, you cannot seal Dracula (or rather, the thing he is, the Dark Lord) forever, because for vague Japanese-centric mystical reasons God can only be who He is if there is an opposite evil force.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 4, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Nah, it was all there prior to the DLC. The DLC was just bullshit that added in that Gabriel absorbed the power of a super demon who existed before the birth of creation & strikes fear into the heart of God himself, by beating the living poo poo out of him with a metal chain (yet ol Dracul is still afraid of Satan kicking his rear end if he returns, for some reason...). At the very end, after beating Satan and using the mask, you see Gabriel's soul leave his body, ie, he's basically repeated the actions of the founders of his order and is now one of the two remaining Lords of Shadow. The post credits cutscene affirms it. They didn't give him cool vampire powers in the DLC because that would that would have required putting in too much work and thought into some lovely cash grab DLC.

If it isn't obvious, I really hate that DLC, haha.

The DLC shows that isn't what happened though. I mean you may hate it and have interpreted the story a different (and more sensible) way but the DLC shows that, nope, Gabe just drank some vampire blood, even though "Dracula is Gabriel's Lord of Shadow" makes infinitely more sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished Lords of Shadow and didn't hate it as much as I expected too. As far as God of War clones going it's probably the next best thing to one of the good GoW games. That story though. I went into it knowing that Gabriel was Dracula and expected it to be way more of a thing, especially since you spend the entire game gathering the necessary stuff for being Dracul (mastery of werwolves, mastery of vampires, mastery of Death). And then the whole thing is revealed in a post credits epilogue. Sigh.
I actually preferred Lament's version of events, and I never thought I'd say that.

Also that loving music box stage may have ruined Vampire Killer for me forever.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Calaveron posted:

Honestly that entire thing was incredibly dumb and terrible. Legends was awful and I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to obsess over it so much.

I like the original continuity where Trevor Belmont and his friends were the first to defeat Dracula.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Circle of the Moon. Its more fulfilling and doesn't sound like rear end.

HoD's not a terrible game, but the music is so bad. I really wanted to like it but it's terrible. Graphics are alright though, and Juste is pretty awesome. The way you lose all momentum after dashing when you jump is disconcerting though.

MarsDragon posted:

Honestly that entire thing was incredibly dumb and terrible. Legends was awful and I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to obsess over it so much.

I like the original continuity where Trevor Belmont and his friends were the first to defeat Dracula.

Maybe because there was a female Belmont.

But we got Shanoa later anyways, so who cares.

blackguy32 posted:

That didn't count. IGA removed that from the timeline. What we got instead was the awful mess that was in Lament of Innocence.

Lament was playable which is more then can be said for CV64.

Tallgeese posted:

I doubt it. Germain's just saying he's helping out with 1999. His implication is that everything is predestined and not even he can alter it.

The way Dawn tells it, you cannot seal Dracula (or rather, the thing he is, the Dark Lord) forever, because for vague Japanese-centric mystical reasons God can only be who He is if there is an opposite evil force.

Isn't the whole deal that as long as there is evil there is a Dracula type dude?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 4, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Anatharon posted:

Isn't the whole deal that as long as there is evil there is a Dracula type dude?

Yeah, IGA went for this religious balance angle and said that as long as there's a good God, there will be something just as evil, and Dracula fills that role. Not really sure where ol' Satan fits in this mythology.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Lament was playable which is more then can be said for CV64.

CV64 was very playable, it is probably one of my favorite Castlevanias. I really liked that game. It oozed atmosphere. But gently caress that magical nitro section.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tallgeese posted:

Pretty sure it's just straight up Gnostic Good Evil mirror thing and not japanese centric at all?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, IGA went for this religious balance angle and said that as long as there's a good God, there will be something just as evil, and Dracula fills that role. Not really sure where ol' Satan fits in this mythology.

He's a relatively minor enemy in one of them, I think.

LoS seemed alright to me until I got to the first boss you had to climb around on. I kept getting swatted off and wasn't having any fun, so I've yet to touch it again. That, and Castlevania, to me, is not a game wherein I run around brightly lit jungle areas. It's about castles and goblins and skeletons, dammit!

I liked mirror of fate though. It's not classic Castlevania by any means but they nailed the aesthetic along with good to great character designs (The MoF Simon is probably my favorite incarnation next to the Castlevania Chronicles version). I actually found the combat to be good as well, but more towards the end when you have access to the whole move set. The story is a serviceable re-telling of CV1/3. I 100&'ed the game and am playing through it again. I think it has a free demo on the PSN as well, so if you think you might dig it you can try it. Seems like most people did not, though, and it's release on console was with little to no fanfare and it was buried at the bottom of the 'new game' list. Seems like a lost opportunity to sell a game in time for halloween.

All that being said I really hate the idea of a Belmont being Dracula. I thought it was cool that Bram Stoker's novel was kinda sorta part of the timeline. I didn't care for LoI's justification, either.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

He's a relatively minor enemy in one of them, I think.

In the Proper CV timeline (:colbert:) Satan was supposed to be another dark lord. The Big Top Evil Doggity Dog is Chaos, which is and always was the personification of evil and being an all around jerk.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ImpAtom posted:

The DLC shows that isn't what happened though. I mean you may hate it and have interpreted the story a different (and more sensible) way but the DLC shows that, nope, Gabe just drank some vampire blood, even though "Dracula is Gabriel's Lord of Shadow" makes infinitely more sense.

Oh crud, totally forgot about the whole "vampirism needed to enter the land before time" thing. I think my mind is just slowly repurposing all the parts of my brain that were previously used to store memories of the DLC plot and I'm just going to let it, because the way the main game tied everything together in this tragic and ironic way is much more satisfying than the DLC bullshit about how Gabriel became a vampire so that he could whip Sauron to death and steal his superpowers.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I liked mirror of fate though. It's not classic Castlevania by any means but they nailed the aesthetic along with good to great character designs (The MoF Simon is probably my favorite incarnation next to the Castlevania Chronicles version). I actually found the combat to be good as well, but more towards the end when you have access to the whole move set. The story is a serviceable re-telling of CV1/3. I 100&'ed the game and am playing through it again. I think it has a free demo on the PSN as well, so if you think you might dig it you can try it. Seems like most people did not, though, and it's release on console was with little to no fanfare and it was buried at the bottom of the 'new game' list. Seems like a lost opportunity to sell a game in time for halloween.

Based on what I've played so far, it's a decent game, although it'd be nice if they bothered to differentiate between characters slightly more. The combat doesn't feel as much of a mess as it is in LoS either since it's easier to pay attention to enemies with 1 less dimension.

One thing that doesn't work as well is the combination of GoW-style platforming and Metroidvania-style exploration: since falling from too high either damages or kills you, it's pretty vague exactly where you're allowed to take shortcuts when backtracking and where you need to follow the intended path as much as possible or you die instantly. The long load times (at least in the HD version) don't help much either.

I'd also prefer it if the map wasn't so ridiculously vague, I assume that's why they expect you to use notes so much since they couldn't be bothered to make it any more distinct considering the number of predefined routes they force you to take that go all over the place.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tallgeese posted:

That's what the cult believes but I don't remember it being validated.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

CV64 was very playable, it is probably one of my favorite Castlevanias. I really liked that game. It oozed atmosphere. But gently caress that magical nitro section.

Yeah, I went back and played through Legacy of Darkness last week and was kinda surprised at how good it actually was. That clocktower stage is fun as poo poo.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Pope Guilty posted:

That's what the cult believes but I don't remember it being validated.

I think the closest we get to anyone besides the cult backing that up is Arikado going "well, maybe, but don't worry about it" to Soma in the ending. But it's been forever since I beat DoS.

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
Arikado first uses that "For god to be good" line during AoS's best ending. In DoS's ending he assures Soma that some other dark lord will turn up eventually so it doesn't have to be him.

I also love both versions of CV64, but every time I think about replaying it I remember the magical nitro section and decide to play a different CV game instead. Henry mode is great though, CV needs more gun-toting dudes. Swords are boring. Whips, guns, and crazy magic glyph arms are where it's at.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure that either Dracula has basically ascended to take the direct role of Satan, or he's such a badass that Satan is just a boss fight in his castle, like Death and Beelzebub.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MarsDragon posted:

I think the closest we get to anyone besides the cult backing that up is Arikado going "well, maybe, but don't worry about it" to Soma in the ending. But it's been forever since I beat DoS.

I love "Arikado" as an alias because I always remember that clip of the guy moving his finger over the name "ALUCARD" and spelling out "D-R-A-C-U-". It barely even counts as an alias!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty sure that either Dracula has basically ascended to take the direct role of Satan, or he's such a badass that Satan is just a boss fight in his castle, like Death and Beelzebub.

Yeah I'm less than halfway through DoS and I can kill the devil in one shot. Pretty underwhelming dude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pope Guilty posted:

I love "Arikado" as an alias because I always remember that clip of the guy moving his finger over the name "ALUCARD" and spelling out "D-R-A-C-U-". It barely even counts as an alias!

I like how his disguise is just a nice suit and some hair dye.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Alias posted:

Arikado first uses that "For god to be good" line during AoS's best ending. In DoS's ending he assures Soma that some other dark lord will turn up eventually so it doesn't have to be him.

I also love both versions of CV64, but every time I think about replaying it I remember the magical nitro section and decide to play a different CV game instead. Henry mode is great though, CV needs more gun-toting dudes. Swords are boring. Whips, guns, and crazy magic glyph arms are where it's at.

The music kinda sucked too. I don't even remember any of the music, in fact.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Internet Alias posted:

Yeah, and it's subtly hinted Alucard would be willing to make that 'sacrifice' and fill the role so no one else would.

Another IGA plotline that's gone forever now.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
So I just read a fan translation of this Castlevania light novel that takes place after Dawn of Sorrow and I'm wondering if anyone else has read it. It features two next generation vampire hunters that remind me of Jonathan and Charlotte, except instead of a witch the girl is somehow a descendant of Grant, which is weird because in Judgment he had a thing for Trevor's wife and dies alone and unloved but since I'm a fan of Grant I'm okay with this.

Anyway I bring it up because I'm not sure about the ending, is it deliberately ambiguous as to whether Curtis is alive or just Death impersonating him or am I just dumb and can't figure out which it is myself. It's too bad there's no way a game will come out based on this because a Portrait of Ruin style game where you can play as Death the same way Dawn of Sorrow let you play as Dracula would be pretty neat actually.

Other than that thought it was a pretty dumb story that adds nothing to the Castlevania series, probably because there's not much more story left to tell after Dawn of Sorrow, unless Soma or Alucard turn evil or a legit successor to Dracula appears that is. In fact considering Dracula only revives every 100 years or something and no Belmonts can fight him in between Richter and Julius no new castlevania games can really be made except 'stricken from history' secret non-Belmont Dracula fights or the battle of 1999, which will almost certainly never happen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

macfam posted:

Other than that thought it was a pretty dumb story that adds nothing to the Castlevania series, probably because there's not much more story left to tell after Dawn of Sorrow, unless Soma or Alucard turn evil or a legit successor to Dracula appears that is. In fact considering Dracula only revives every 100 years or something and no Belmonts can fight him in between Richter and Julius no new castlevania games can really be made except 'stricken from history' secret non-Belmont Dracula fights or the battle of 1999, which will almost certainly never happen.

Galamoth hasn't really been properly dealt with. He was a bonus boss in the inverted castle but he's also from a billion years in the future where he's the dopest thing since sliced bread.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is Mirror of Fate HD getting a PC release?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So what are the two kinds of Castlevania games? Metroidvanias (SotN, AoS etc) and classic style ( Dracula X, Castlevania 1-4)?

Cyra posted:

Is Mirror of Fate HD getting a PC release?

They said yes but not when.

MoF HD seems ok but drat is the jumping floaty. It reminds me of the jumping in like Trine 2 and Shadow Complex and other small time 3-D sidescrollers. Are jump physics just better in 2D games?

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 5, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Uncle Wemus posted:

So what are the two kinds of Castlevania games? Metroidvanias (SotN, AoS etc) and classic style ( Dracula X, Castlevania 1-4)?

Yep, and the 3d ones.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I finally got around to beating LoS, I amend my earlier statements calling it a lovely GoW clone and upgrade it to a pretty good GoW clone. It starts off really weak and has a huge number of flaws, but now that I decided to power through the entire game I found it was pretty decent. It's a shame that they decided to reboot the continuity though, with a few tweaks they could have easily made the game about the origin of Dracula in the original timeline. The game kind of turned to poo poo right at the end and the DLC boss was incredibly bad and tedious, but that happens to a lot of games. I don't know if I'll bother with MoF and I'm not particularly excited for LoS 2 but at least I can see that MercurySteam has the potential to make a really good game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

I finally got around to beating LoS, I amend my earlier statements calling it a lovely GoW clone and upgrade it to a pretty good GoW clone. It starts off really weak and has a huge number of flaws, but now that I decided to power through the entire game I found it was pretty decent. It's a shame that they decided to reboot the continuity though, with a few tweaks they could have easily made the game about the origin of Dracula in the original timeline. The game kind of turned to poo poo right at the end and the DLC boss was incredibly bad and tedious, but that happens to a lot of games. I don't know if I'll bother with MoF and I'm not particularly excited for LoS 2 but at least I can see that MercurySteam has the potential to make a really good game.

LoS really front-loads its terribleness, but the ending where Gabriel goes SSJ and has a fight with naked Satan is amazing. You're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anatharon posted:

The music kinda sucked too. I don't even remember any of the music, in fact.

Its probably because it is been a while. CV64 has some pretty good tracks in it. I really like the Castle Wall track, the Castle Center track, The boss music track, also the title screen track of bloodlines on a violin owns.