Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
There's no way that Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Hamilton are appreciably better places to live than Columbus.

If you Canada goons want cheap houses and rents plus excellent job markets, move to St. Paul-Minneapolis.

edit: I can't spell

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I would imagine that people factor their social and familial networks into any calculation of where they'd prefer to live.

Also, as lovely as America is, I don't think people who can otherwise avoid it particularly enjoy living in a country that seemingly treats anyone who isn't born there like a criminal.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

People in Vancouver should consider moving to Seattle especially if they're in the tech industry.
Salaries for fresh grads start at 100K for tech flagships like MSFT and cost of living is pretty low with the added bonus of no state tax.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

There's no way that Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Hamilton are appreciably better places to live than Columbus.

If you Canada goins want cheap houses and rents plus excellent job marjets, move to St. Paul-Minneapolis.
Can I marry you for a green card?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Helsing posted:

I would imagine that people factor their social and familial networks into any calculation of where they'd prefer to live.

Also, as lovely as America is, I don't think people who can otherwise avoid it particularly enjoy living in a country that seemingly treats anyone who isn't born there like a criminal.

It is simply not possible for the USA to be mentioned among Canadians without the sniping starting shortly thereafter.

Also, as an ex-resident of two states, I disagree with your reductive characterization as some sort of universal principle of the plight of naturalized persons there.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lexicon posted:

It is simply not possible for the USA to be mentioned among Canadians without the sniping starting shortly thereafter.

Also, as an ex-resident of two states, I disagree with your reductive characterization as some sort of universal principle of the plight of naturalized persons there.

I've lived in America and it was a great experience, one I'd love to repeat in the future, but there are a lot of hassles involved in moving to the USA, especially if you're planning to work. Also the way that the boarder guards dealt at various points with my sister, my parents and in particular with my aunt (born in Iran) did put a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe you had a different experience but for most of the people I know including myself crossing the American boarder - especially if you're going there to take a job - is a huge and thankless hassle.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Helsing posted:

I've lived in America and it was a great experience, one I'd love to repeat in the future, but there are a lot of hassles involved in moving to the USA, especially if you're planning to work. Also the way that the boarder guards dealt at various points with my sister, my parents and in particular with my aunt (born in Iran) did put a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe you had a different experience but for most of the people I know including myself crossing the American boarder - especially if you're going there to take a job - is a huge and thankless hassle.

I totally agree that the CBP can be, shall we say, unsympathetic (though admittedly, never in my personal experience - I always get way more unnecessary hassle by CBSA, if anything).

I was objecting to what seemed like an extension of the CBP attitude to the whole country/society, which, as far as I've ever seen, is manifestly not true as a general rule. Your second post implies that you did not mean this, however.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I totally agree that the CBP can be, shall we say, unsympathetic (though admittedly, never in my personal experience - I always get way more unnecessary hassle by CBSA, if anything).

I was objecting to what seemed like an extension of the CBP attitude to the whole country/society, which, as far as I've ever seen, is manifestly not true as a general rule. Your second post implies that you did not mean this, however.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that at all. I've always found Americans to be extremely friendly and personable when I'm in the USA. When I lost my wallet in Manhattan somebody who overheard my plight immediately gave me their subway pass and the concierge who eventually found the wallet lying on the street went to a great deal of trouble to get it back to me with all my credit cards, ID and money.

It left me wondering whether Manhattan is a friendlier town than some people think, or whether Toronto is just so cold and unfeeling that my standard expectation about the kindness of strangers is overly cynical.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Helsing posted:

It left me wondering whether Manhattan is a friendlier town than some people think, or whether Toronto is just so cold and unfeeling that my standard expectation about the kindness of strangers is overly cynical.

I think both things are probably true. That's how I've always felt, at least.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Comparing CBP and CBSA, I get way more bullshit from loving CBSA. Especially female South Asian CBSA agents. Those bitches are loving cunts with chips on their shoulders the size of gibraltar.

TSA, DHS, CBP, those motherfuckers are awesome and can be a real hoot. No joke.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Helsing posted:

I dropped my wallet at Bay and College and within an hour someone had called me to return it. If we're judging solely by anecdotes here, Manhattan and Toronto are neck and neck..

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

Comparing CBP and CBSA, I get way more bullshit from loving CBSA. Especially female South Asian CBSA agents. Those bitches are loving cunts with chips on their shoulders the size of gibraltar.

Congrats on being horribly racist?

"Watch out for those South Asian cab drivers. They have chips on their shoulders the size of the Yukon. Get some whites instead."

edit:

And sexist. Those women with those sloppy vaginas, wont they ever learn?

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

haha holy poo poo what is your sample size

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

You've been saying borderline racist/sexist things all thread, I'm glad you finally decided to just take the leap and come out of the bigot closet. So brave etc :allears:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'm all for criticizing CBSA, but their cultural problems and general demeanour are unrelated to either the gender or national origin of their agents.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/hotel-construction-gets-city-ok-1.680865

Better buy into Nanaimo now. ASIAN MONEY is coming. Also who the gently caress builds a skyscraper hotel and convention centre in Nanaimo??

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So to confirm, the thinking is that thousands of wealthy Chinese tourists are going to visit this hotel in Nanaimo, fall in love with the city, and then buy up all the real estate?

Because Nanaimo makes more sense than anywhere else on the mainland...?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

spacemost posted:

So to confirm, the thinking is that thousands of wealthy Chinese tourists are going to visit this hotel in Nanaimo, fall in love with the city, and then buy up all the real estate?

Because Nanaimo makes more sense than anywhere else on the mainland...?

The Nanaimo bars have done all their good will and marketing for them!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Whiteycar posted:

The Nanaimo bars have done all their good will and marketing for them!

I was in Naniamo once for the BC Paralympics and the Nanaimo bars we got weren't even made in Nanaimo. What the hell!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would build a hyperhotel in Nanaimo just to house all the pilgrims who make the holy journey to the birthplace of Nanaimo Bars.

And with it, I would control the world. :stare:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey, don't hate on Nanaimo, they have an airport now!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nanaimo really isn't that bad, I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. It's just an above-average city of about 120k. I wouldn't really want to live there but if I had to live on the island and couldn't live in Victoria I can't think of better 2nd place city.

I mean I literally can't think of another city, they're all such garbage I can't even remember their names. Duncan? Courtney/comox? Mother loving Port Alberni? I've lived here all my life and I'm having to google maps this poo poo. Compared to anywhere other than Victoria Nanaimo is pretty ok. Hell compared to most cities of its size in north america it's pretty ok.

But it's "ok" not "Build a mega-hotel in anticipation for the flood of chinese money!" ok.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Courtney is at least near Mt. Washington. And since I moved away it's grown huge, I actually would live there a thousand times over before I'd live in Nanaimo.

Nanaimo feels like it should be a suburb of something, but there's no actual city near it, it's like a completely isolated suburb of nothing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Obviously you're too young to remember Nanaimo in the 80s when the only thing of note was the hells angels bar just off of the ferry terminal.

What a shithole.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would build a hyperhotel in Nanaimo just to house all the pilgrims who make the holy journey to the birthplace of Nanaimo Bars.

And with it, I would control the world. :stare:

does this pilgrimage involve inadvertently picking up some of the sacred crabs?

shrike82 posted:

People in Vancouver should consider moving to Seattle especially if they're in the tech industry.
Salaries for fresh grads start at 100K for tech flagships like MSFT and cost of living is pretty low with the added bonus of no state tax.

It does have really high sales tax as part of the wonky funding plan.

Rents are still somewhat reasonable even though obviously not affordable as places such as the US south or exciting rust belt cities such as Cincinnati:
http://www.seattle.gov/oir/datasheet/quality.htm

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 5, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

It does have really high sales tax as part of the wonky funding plan.

Rents are still somewhat reasonable even though obviously not affordable as places such as the US south or exciting rust belt cities such as Cincinnati:
http://www.seattle.gov/oir/datasheet/quality.htm

The worst part about the sales tax is internet purchases, since so many companies actually have headquarters in WA. But actually the sales tax is deductable on your federal taxes, according to a schedule given your AGI. So if you're saving at all, the rebate is way over what you actually payed in sales taxes.

So what I'm saying, is shrike is right and as a dink in Seattle my life is pretty great. Every one of my Canadian friends who has made it down is happier.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The worst part about the sales tax is internet purchases, since so many companies actually have headquarters in WA. But actually the sales tax is deductable on your federal taxes, according to a schedule given your AGI. So if you're saving at all, the rebate is way over what you actually payed in sales taxes.

So what I'm saying, is shrike is right and as a dink in Seattle my life is pretty great. Every one of my Canadian friends who has made it down is happier.

Plus from a stat perspective the rental costs seem much more reasonable compared inflated places such as Vancouver or the Bay Area.

Was pretty fun visiting the inflated housing market a few weeks ago and being able see all the housing cost whining over the Bay Area in person.

For comparison a $1800-$2200 studio/cramped 1 bedroom could get you this in Seattle:

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 5, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can confirm! Friend moving to Seattle as his first "real" career job and starting at nearly 100k. Rents seem about on par with Victoria and cheaper than Vancouver, except you know, actual jobs and an economy exists there.

So we have a house buying thread and a Canadian bubble thread but is there a good thread on renting? I'm about to get my lease and I'd love to know some of the ins and outs or at least bullshit to be wary of. It seems like the standard 1y lease most places make you sign.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder how Seattle managed to avoid the Vancouver/SF housing cost problems, even though they have similar geography problems?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

I wonder how Seattle managed to avoid the Vancouver/SF housing cost problems, even though they have similar geography problems?

SF is perfectly reasonable on a price:income basis.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lexicon posted:

SF is perfectly reasonable on a price:income basis.

Eh?
http://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=San+Francisco%2C+CA

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh god I bought....

In Calgary, rent situation is still hosed, super hosed if you have pets.

At least I locked in my rate for 7 years?

We bought an infill in an area of the city that seems to be in the process of being redeveloped (shacks turning into 2 million dollar 4 plexes)

4 bedroom 4 bathroom with renting the basement the place is going to be less than 2100 a month which is far less than we would pay renting a place of the same quality.

Still get to customize some aspects so trying not to go crazy on that, everyone I've told seems to cream themselves on the idea of the resale value.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 5, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

SF income distribution is massively fat tailed at the right side, in a way that's not really captured by P:I for the city as a whole.

That ain't true of Vancouver.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whiteycar posted:

Oh god I bought....

In Calgary, rent situation is still hosed, super hosed if you have pets.

At least I locked in my rate for 7 years?

Did you get a intentional or unintentional waterfront property?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

etalian posted:

Did you get a intentional or unintentional waterfront property?

I think the only problem right now would be the amount of hobo urination that flooded into my property not the rivers.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

etalian posted:

Plus from a stat perspective the rental costs seem much more reasonable compared inflated places such as Vancouver or the Bay Area.

Was pretty fun visiting the inflated housing market a few weeks ago and being able see all the housing cost whining over the Bay Area in person.

For comparison a $1800-$2200 studio/cramped 1 bedroom could get you this in Seattle:

I used to pay that for one floor (private entrance) of a house in Kits. For what I paid in Vancouver + $200/month (and a proper down payment), I now own a 2600 sq. ft and an acre and half of land 10 minutes outside of Redmond.

Why the hell didn't I move here years ago?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Pixelboy posted:

I used to pay that for one floor (private entrance) of a house in Kits. For what I paid in Vancouver + $200/month (and a proper down payment), I now own a 2600 sq. ft and an acre and half of land 10 minutes outside of Redmond.

Why the hell didn't I move here years ago?

Why would you ever want to leave The Best Place On Earth?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Number Two Stunna posted:

Why would you ever want to leave The Best Place On Earth?

Doubled my salary, no state income tax, and it would take 1.8m to get this kind of house in Vancouver or area.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rents in SF are pretty unreal, I live in a 'luxury' building with pretty crazy amenities but I pay about 2700/mo for 600 sq ft and I've seen even more ridiculous numbers. I'm pretty sure that tech salaries in the Bay Area are better than Washington (I'm making substantially more than 100k fresh out of my Ph.D at least) but state income tax and general cost of living eats up a lot of that. On the other hand I think that job perks are generally better here (3 meals a day, shuttles/transportation paid for, etc) and SF is definitely a more fun place to live than, say, Redmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

blah_blah posted:

I'm pretty sure that tech salaries in the Bay Area are better than Washington (I'm making substantially more than 100k fresh out of my Ph.D at least) but state income tax and general cost of living eats up a lot of that. On the other hand I think that job perks are generally better here (3 meals a day, shuttles/transportation paid for, etc) and SF is definitely a more fun place to live than, say, Redmond.

I have less than half a PhD... and make... considerably more than that.

Edit: I've been hiring BSc. graduates for more than that... what was your degree in?

Pixelboy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 5, 2013