Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP97S posted:

Movie fans dressed as Ghostbusters, in 2011.
i'm the dreamy gauze over the lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its filth

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

deadweight is a good song tho

Deadweight tonnage (also known as deadweight abbreviated to DWT, D.W.T., d.w.t., or dwt) is a measure of how much weight a ship is carrying or can safely carry.[1][2][3] It is the sum of the weights of cargo, fuel, fresh water, ballast water, provisions, passengers, and crew.[1] The term is often used to specify a ship's maximum permissible deadweight, the DWT when the ship is fully loaded so that its Plimsoll line is at the point of submersion, although it may also denote the actual DWT of a ship not loaded to capacity.

Deadweight tonnage was historically expressed in long tons but is now usually given internationally in tonnes.[4] Deadweight tonnage is not a measure of the ship's displacement and should not be confused with gross tonnage or net tonnage (or their more archaic forms gross register tonnage or net register tonnage).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP

oh, okay, an aritcle about NeXTSTEP and reading through seems to credit NeXT(Apple/Jobs) for development of the web in general... okay the facts at least are true, wait what's this?

oh, yes popular culture. weird in pop culture i have not yet heard of that anime, but i sure am sure its pop culture.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yea if u use a mac ur using anime sorry bro

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
who in an encyclopaedic sense would care even about things inspired by the article unless it was especially relevant to the topic? why is that poo poo in there?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sniep posted:

who in an encyclopaedic sense would care even about things inspired by the article unless it was especially relevant to the topic? why is that poo poo in there?
i'm as serious as cancer when i say anime is cancer

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
btw what is it with anime and horrible loving titles? and don't tell me that it's because they're originally japanese because this poo poo would be incoherent in any language

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it just seems to me that the reference to (thing) belongs in the article about (anime) instead of the article about (thing) since its only relevant, possibly, if you were reading up on the specific anime, and has zero relevance to the thing in question

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

btw what is it with anime and horrible loving titles? and don't tell me that it's because they're originally japanese because this poo poo would be incoherent in any language

90% of them are bad puns or references to japanese idioms or both at once.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

it just seems to me that the reference to (thing) belongs in the article about (anime) instead of the article about (thing) since its only relevant, possibly, if you were reading up on the specific anime, and has zero relevance to the thing in question

you were reading about one terrible thing for nerds (nextstep) and shouldn't be surprised anime came up there.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
like i think i went to a birthday party when i was in middle school that played Nevermind over and over cuz kurt cobain died. if there was an article about that birthday party, that would be something to note. but it doesnt belong on the page for nirvana's album, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

like i think i went to a birthday party when i was in middle school that played Nevermind over and over cuz kurt cobain died. if there was an article about that birthday party, that would be something to note. but it doesnt belong on the page for nirvana's album, right?

im being serious here: there are unironically probably way more people who watched that anime then people who have ever used nextstep.

iirc there were under 80,000 next computers of all models sold and even though these would tend to be shared among multiple end users the probably total userbase of the os by the time it died was probably under 300,000

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 4, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

theres so many that all the good titles were used up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
(a double exclamation mark) may refer to:
  • A brilliant move in chess notation
  • The double factorial operator in mathematics
  • A "convert to Boolean" pseudo-operator in some computer languages
    • This is through a computer type of double negative, where its Boolean value is negated, then negated again, converting the value to either true or false
  • An operator for fetching list elements in the programming language Haskell
  • A retroflex click, a family of click consonants found only in Juu languages of southern Africa and in the Damin ritual jargon of Australia

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sniep posted:

iirc 'in popular culture' sections are actually frowned on & discouraged by the actual wiki admins

but idiot nerds love their anime

so

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think there's a template banner for "remove this fancruft poo poo" you can put at the top of popular culture sections. which owns really hard for an official wiki policy

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Wikipedia nails it again,

Wikipedia/Pork And Beans posted:

Pork and beans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pork and beans is a culinary dish that uses beans and pork as its main ingredients.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

[citation needed]

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words

quote:

Kurt Russell.
Who: Walt Disney
Note: Scrawled on a piece of paper. To this day, nobody knows what he meant by it, not even Kurt Russell, who was 15 at the time.

:catstare:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Install Windows posted:

im being serious here: there are unironically probably way more people who watched that anime then people who have ever used nextstep.

iirc there were under 80,000 next computers of all models sold and even though these would tend to be shared among multiple end users the probably total userbase of the os by the time it died was probably under 300,000

and as i am being serious as well, the only people who would care about the NextStep reference in the anime would be people who already watched, were studying, or were interested in / curious about the anime. Nobody who on their own choice went to the Nextstep article about Nextstep for the topic of Nextstep would want to learn about an anime's inside references to the OS. It's spam. The anime had 0 influence, bearing on or connection to the OS in any way.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

and as i am being serious as well, the only people who would care about the NextStep reference in the anime would be people who already watched, were studying, or were interested in / curious about the anime. Nobody who on their own choice went to the Nextstep article about Nextstep for the topic of Nextstep would want to learn about an anime's inside references to the OS. It's spam. The anime had 0 influence, bearing on or connection to the OS in any way.

it's literally better known from being the subject of the anime then from being used. im sorry but this is like the only article on wikipedia where the anime reference thing actually makes sense.

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Install Windows posted:

it's literally better known from being the subject of the anime then from being used. im sorry but this is like the only article on wikipedia where the anime reference thing actually makes sense.

that's presuming that no one would have heard about next if it weren't for serial experiments lain. somehow i doubt that this is the case. there are people interested in the moon landing that were not alive when it happened not because the simpsons spoofed it, but because of broader cultural relevance.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
heres a fictional pop culture reference example that would add value to an article:

Article: Apple

===in pop culture===
"In 2015, robin thicke released the EP album titled "I love titties and apple products", the two music videos displaying big titty women dancing around apple products, which quickly rose to become an internet sensation. Promptly after the videos rise in popularity, president obama released a social media retort video titled "i, as president of the united states, fully endorse apple products."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bream posted:

that's presuming that no one would have heard about next if it weren't for serial experiments lain. somehow i doubt that this is the case. there are people interested in the moon landing that were not alive when it happened not because the simpsons spoofed it, but because of broader cultural relevance.

nextstep was a failed operating system and lain was literally one of the most popular animes ever.

nextstep has no broader cultural relevance. trash os that sold like poo poo.

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Install Windows posted:

nextstep was a failed operating system and lain was literally one of the most popular animes ever.

i see you haven't heard of a little thing called QUAKE. also i'm glad you specified that you weren't being figurative about the popularity of an anime. i would present that the ubiquity of the NS prefix in OS X and iOS libraries speaks to the continuing cultural relevance of the legacy of nextstep.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bream posted:

libraries

Bream posted:

cultural relevance
lol

fishmech's right btw

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Install Windows posted:

i've never heard of it before.

pokemon is an anime i've heard of. it was popular. not whatever lain.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sniep posted:

i've never heard of it before.

pokemon is an anime i've heard of. it was popular. not whatever lain.
i heard of lain

from wikipedia

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
fishmech's still right though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bream posted:

i see you haven't heard of a little thing called QUAKE. also i'm glad you specified that you weren't being figurative about the popularity of an anime. i would present that the ubiquity of the NS prefix in OS X and iOS libraries speaks to the continuing cultural relevance of the legacy of nextstep.

mac os and ios: two distant second place operating systems.

you just keep digging nextstep's grave even further bro

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Mmm love a good fishmeching right before bed

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Fishmechy

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
ban all y'all for talkin about anime

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
except for you, forku-chan

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Install Windows posted:

mac os and ios: two distant second place operating systems.

you just keep digging nextstep's grave even further bro

so history is written by the victors, is it? i would be willing to bet cash money that more people have used osx or ios than have seen serial experiments lain. if you disagree, i would contend that perhaps your sampling is not as representative of the population as you suspect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bream posted:

so history is written by the victors, is it? i would be willing to bet cash money that more people have used osx or ios than have seen serial experiments lain. if you disagree, i would contend that perhaps your sampling is not as representative of the population as you suspect.

os x is at least 2 steps removed from nextstep and ios and even further removed from it. a fair comparison ont hat level would involve people who have used os x or ios versus people who have watched pokemon or dragonball z and there's over 1.5 billion people who've done that so that wins.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Install Windows posted:

os x is at least 2 steps removed from nextstep and ios and even further removed from it. a fair comparison ont hat level would involve people who have used os x or ios versus people who have watched pokemon or dragonball z and there's over 1.5 billion people who've done that so that wins.
1.5 billion? source??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

1.5 billion? source??

listen pal maybe you dont know but youre talking to the smartest kid in america. he is the source.