Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Since last night, incognito mode hardlocks my desktop (Win7) for 1-2 minutes at a time if I have more than one tab open or after browsing image-intensive content with it. Same thing on my laptop. Once it starts it persists even after force-closing Chrome.

Some googling suggests that it's solved by updating the audio driver (???) but it hasn't fixed the issue for me. Reinstalling Chrome didn't do anything either. Anyone else encountered something remotely similar to this? I'm baffled and amazed that this is even a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Zalakwe posted:

Got a windows 8 problem too.

Running Chrome (stable version) as a full screen app, but whenever I launch a video the sound either comes in a few seconds late, or the video starts without sound then pauses and waits for the sound stream to catch up. Tried turning plugins on and off and a reinstall. Anyone encountered this? Have a fix? Any help appreciated, it's always the small things that really do your head in.

Managed to "fix" this by disabling this plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\30.0.1599.101\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll and reinstalling flash.

Only disadvantage is normal flash doesn't work in windows 8 full screen mode but I never use it anyway.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I have some sort of weird thing that whenever I mouse over a picture it brings up this janky looking product searcher that looks to compare similar products or something but it looks like a piece of low-rent spyware. It's on both my mac and win7 machines on chrome. I can't tell if it's an extension doing this or a piece of spyware. This isn't a chrome feature is it?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

metachronos posted:

I have some sort of weird thing that whenever I mouse over a picture it brings up this janky looking product searcher that looks to compare similar products or something but it looks like a piece of low-rent spyware. It's on both my mac and win7 machines on chrome. I can't tell if it's an extension doing this or a piece of spyware. This isn't a chrome feature is it?

You have Smooth Gestures installed? I started getting this yesterday, that extension updated itself and thought it'd be cute to enable ads without telling people along the way. Disable them in the extension's setting and send a nastygram to the developer for not telling people like I did.

But if it's not that, it's likely *some* extension you have installed.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

metachronos posted:

I just discovered this today as well. Traced it to the SmoothScroll addon, which recently silently upgraded to include this. Uninstalled.

Edit: Looks like both SmoothGestures and SmoothScroll come from the same company.

Casyl fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2013

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
No it was smooth gestures. Thanks guys! Nastygram is in the works right now.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Just noticed a problem with embedded YouTube videos. Only a black rectangle appears where the video should be. Google showed that clearing the browser cache could fix the problem and it didn't work for me. Anyone run into this problem and know how to fix it?

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on latest Chrome stable on OSX 10.9.

Dennis Kucinich
Apr 28, 2013
Anyone have any suggestions for extensions or methods for managing a bunch of tabs at once? I just started a tech support job, and often I will be handling three live chats and a phone call at the same time. My tab bar quickly fills up and becomes impossible to manage, and I lose track of the "must-have" tabs that are opened constantly.

I looked into TooManyTabs, but I'm not entirely convinced it would be all that helpful, and I don't want to use anything buggy. Maybe it's just a matter of getting better at closing tabs I'm not using anymore and using Chrome's built-in features more efficiently. A facility to label tabs with unhelpful/indistinguishable titles might be useful too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dennis Kucinich posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for extensions or methods for managing a bunch of tabs at once? I just started a tech support job, and often I will be handling three live chats and a phone call at the same time. My tab bar quickly fills up and becomes impossible to manage, and I lose track of the "must-have" tabs that are opened constantly.

I looked into TooManyTabs, but I'm not entirely convinced it would be all that helpful, and I don't want to use anything buggy. Maybe it's just a matter of getting better at closing tabs I'm not using anymore and using Chrome's built-in features more efficiently. A facility to label tabs with unhelpful/indistinguishable titles might be useful too.

Use multiple windows and put tabs for related tasks in each window. Simple to drag tabs between windows.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is there an inherent problem with Chrome that makes Youtube videos buffer forever and then spit out an "Error occurred while playing video" message? If I use a user-agent spoof it seems to work more consistently, and if I actually switch to IE all the videos work no problem. I've tried emptying the cache and deleting all the YouTube cookies and that seems to be a temporary fix which allows me to watch maybe one or two videos before it starts giving me errors again.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Anyone who've upgraded to OS X Mavericks: Do you also feel that scrolling in Chrome feels "different" now? It's not as smooth as before in some odd way.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Eight Is Legend posted:

Anyone who've upgraded to OS X Mavericks: Do you also feel that scrolling in Chrome feels "different" now? It's not as smooth as before in some odd way.

Yes, and it has been mildly irritating me since I upgraded. I've tried playing around with the scroll sensitivity and inertia settings but I haven't been able to make it feel right again.

Maybe after a couple of days of adjustment it will just feel normal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having trouble with forum tabs crashing on occasion?

I'm positive it's some ad on the forums locking up Chrome (as reloading works fine and it's happening on different threads) but is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having trouble with forum tabs crashing on occasion?

I'm positive it's some ad on the forums locking up Chrome (as reloading works fine and it's happening on different threads) but is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Yes, I've been getting this occasionally.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

wattershed posted:

You have Smooth Gestures installed? I started getting this yesterday, that extension updated itself and thought it'd be cute to enable ads without telling people along the way. Disable them in the extension's setting and send a nastygram to the developer for not telling people like I did.

But if it's not that, it's likely *some* extension you have installed.

I came in because of this. I had smoothgestures, and it gave me that pop up bull poo poo. I looked back a few pages, but didn't see any recomendations for a new gestures extension. I mostly just use back/forward/close.

Just a quick search in the store, the first 2 (SmoothGestures, Gestures for Chrome) both seem to have this loving spearfish ad poo poo. Then the next 2 on the list don't work in Linux (I'm using stable chrome).

Any suggestions? I miss my gestures.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
For those Mavericks users for Chrome. Has anyone else experienced an issue where they will shut the lid on their laptop, come back later, and then find the Chrome window sort of "stuck" in a mostly-minimized state in the upper left corner of the screen? It's very strange - requires me to quit Chrome and restart it.

I'm not running any completely bizarre extensions, so if it's not an issue with Chrome, I suspect it's an issue with a third-party utility I have for resizing windows called Cinch, but even disabling that doesn't seem to resolve it.

Any ideas?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know it's been around for a bit now, but I just figured out how to remove the notification icon from my mac desktop notification bar, really annoyed they just put that in without even telling me, or making it easy to remove.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

actionjackson posted:

I know it's been around for a bit now, but I just figured out how to remove the notification icon from my mac desktop notification bar, really annoyed they just put that in without even telling me, or making it easy to remove.

Why would you post this without telling us how you removed it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Michael Scott posted:

Why would you post this without telling us how you removed it?

Clearly he wanted to bask in the torment of your damnation.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's been a while since the change, but is there any apps to get the old tab functionality back? I missed the tab page letting you browse all closed tabs or opening a tab from another PC. Now all the tab page has is just the eight recent pages and a useless Google search bar that doesn't even work on the page and instead types it in your address bar.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm having some weird problems with Chrome lately. Was on the dev build, stuff like my Gmail Checker and Adblock couldn't show context menus (only had a white box), but that went away in an update. Now, when I have two windows open, performance is horrible and choppy. Also, Youtube feels choppy and has tearing issues. Downloading a video and playing it in MPC is fine, but on the site performance is awful. Downgrading to beta Chrome didn't help either.

Edit: Huh, disabling hardware acceleration made everything better. Even the browser itself feels snappier. :confuoot:

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 4, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Rirse posted:

It's been a while since the change, but is there any apps to get the old tab functionality back? I missed the tab page letting you browse all closed tabs or opening a tab from another PC. Now all the tab page has is just the eight recent pages and a useless Google search bar that doesn't even work on the page and instead types it in your address bar.
= menu -> Recent Tabs

I agree, though, on the new tab page was better.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Google has announced that, starting in January, they will require that all Chrome extensions be hosted in the Chrome Web Store.

See this blog post.

What do you think of the announcement?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It means the wonderful developers hijacking Chrome are really persistent despite Googles attempts to block simple install drops.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Google has announced that, starting in January, they will require that all Chrome extensions be hosted in the Chrome Web Store.

See this blog post.

What do you think of the announcement?
I was mad for a minute but then I went and looked and my extensions and realized I don't have anything from outside of the Chrome Web Store anymore other than userscripts and I can just install Tampermonkey for those.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Seems like a slippery slope, the next logical step with this quest for control over the extension ecosystem is having a blacklist/kill-switches for app store applications.

They better at least have a flag to allow third party apps or this may be the final straw for me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

For those Mavericks users for Chrome. Has anyone else experienced an issue where they will shut the lid on their laptop, come back later, and then find the Chrome window sort of "stuck" in a mostly-minimized state in the upper left corner of the screen? It's very strange - requires me to quit Chrome and restart it.

Any ideas?
I get this with Chrome and other apps but only when I'm using more than one screen. I don't have the link but it's a known bug and one workaround is to lock and unlock your computer again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sholin posted:

Seems like a slippery slope, the next logical step with this quest for control over the extension ecosystem is having a blacklist/kill-switches for app store applications.

Not even news. Although it's been used around a dozen times and on nothing you care about. (Even AdAway (on Android) was merely de-listed.)

quote:

They better at least have a flag to allow third party apps or this may be the final straw for me.

Well, apps are extensions.

RE: Other Google Products: Considering AT&T nearly got taken to war for this poo poo on Android and CyanogenMod has proven resilient against attempts to quash it, this isn't an immediate concern.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not even news. Although it's been used around a dozen times and on nothing you care about. (Even AdAway (on Android) was merely de-listed.)

They've removed stuff from the extension store, sure, but have they been able to actually uninstall it from peoples computers?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Extensions can still be installed through Group Policy. On Windows, all you have to do is import one value into the registry; on Linux, you create a three-line file in a directory in /etc. The extension's developer would tell you what to put in there. If you don't want to bother with that, you can unzip the crx file (you may have to hex edit the header off up to and excluding the "PK") and click "Load Unpacked Extension" with developer mode enabled, but you'll lose auto-updates that way.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
YouTube comments are horrible now (as if they ever were better). How come clicking "in reply to xxxx" simply reloads the page instead of showing the replied-to comment like it used to? It seems broken..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

YouTube comments are horrible now (as if they ever were better). How come clicking "in reply to xxxx" simply reloads the page instead of showing the replied-to comment like it used to? It seems broken..

I just watched a decent video on this. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMWTAeBtrk

I don't agree with all of the points (especially the "Facebook clone" part) but whatever. He's got some good points none the less.

tssentry
Aug 23, 2012

You looked, JUNKER!
Does anyone know of a way to stop Chrome from recording history without going into Incognito Mode? It would be convenient to not keep history while still having search bar suggestions and cookies and the like.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

tssentry posted:

Does anyone know of a way to stop Chrome from recording history without going into Incognito Mode? It would be convenient to not keep history while still having search bar suggestions and cookies and the like.

What about deleting your history for the last hour, once you're done?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

gmq posted:

I get this with Chrome and other apps but only when I'm using more than one screen. I don't have the link but it's a known bug and one workaround is to lock and unlock your computer again.

Strange, I've only got the one screen. I wonder if it has something to do with Spaces, though, since I do use that. Good to know it's at least on someone's radar.

tssentry posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that it isn't a function of most mainstream browsers to simply turn off the history function. I can't think of the last time I've actually used it for anything.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 10, 2013

tssentry
Aug 23, 2012

You looked, JUNKER!

GigaFuzz posted:

What about deleting your history for the last hour, once you're done?

It's really more a matter of convenience than anything, I was just surprised considering it's a pretty simple feature and Firefox (and if I remember correctly, Opera before it changed into a Chrome fork) has been able to do it for a while now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chrome's history 'functionality' is a pile of wank, so I wouldn't be too surprised

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're having any sort of problems with Chrome's history, just install better history and watch as the history function magically becomes reasonably useful! All your history-related worries will just melt away.

I can't even remember what chrome's default interface looks like.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That looks like it helps with some things, like making search actually useful, but I've had sites I've visited straight-up not appear in my history at all. No incognito mode, no other browser, just not there. This doesn't actually change how history is stored, right?

Also does it affect the omnibar? That's really what I want to work better, I don't want to have to go into history at all if I can help it. The default behaviour is pretty great at giving me everything but what I'm looking for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like tabs that make noise now get a little blinking speaker icon next to their title so when some rear end in a top hat website autoplays a loud video in a background tab then you can kill it ASAP.