Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh, I see. Well, is there an in-game explanation for why it's no longer used?

Dark Age of the Law? v:v:v It's never directly addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Let's be honest here, Case 2-4 is probably one of the best cases in the series, and I say JFA is worth going through just for that case.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh, I see. Well, is there an in-game explanation for why it's no longer used?
It was just an experiment in-universe, wasn't it? If so, it's probably safe to assume that the court system decided against it, or they're still working on it or something.

Snix fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There's also the whole matter of the entire thing being set up for the explicit purpose of convicting someone. Even if Gavin was guilty as hell, he still wasn't getting a fair, impartial trial.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
So, this track was found in the Dual Destinies public demo, but it's not actually used in-game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, I'm going to ask.

Why do people like Case 3?

I just finished it, and that may have been the most eyeroll worthy thing in an Ace Attorney game of all time. Immediately the game tries to convince you that it was one of three people, and it's incredibly obvious that none of them did it, because INDOMITABLE FRIENDSHIP. Nobody thought the bracelets were contrived and annoying? Hugh is insufferable and dull, Myriam is funny a couple times when it's sort of a Metal Gear joke, but she feels spread too thin, Robin is annoying before the reveal (Which is also terrible and out of loving nowhere) and even more so afterwards, and Means couldn't be a more obvious villain if you slapped a false moustache on him and had him channel Snidely Whiplash. Also, I feel Athena is easily the weakest of the three main characters.

I will admit, it's pretty cool to see Klavier return (Although I'm sure everyone was expecting Edgeworth/Fransizka), his theme song is still awesome, and the murder itself has enough twists in it to stay interesting, but the writing just feels so much weaker in this case for some reason, I don't know. Is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT: Okay, I will admit, "ALL I SEE BEFORE ME IST THE PINK SPECTRE OF A MAN!" is a brilliant line.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 4, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

A lot of people actually did think it was Hugh for a while. With that being said, the case is anime as hell, but I found it rather sweet. I really like Athena too. And while I thought Means being the killer was pretty obvious myself, I really enjoyed him as a villain. Also, I can't say I know what you mean about Robin's reveal or the writing being bad, but eh. Personally, I'd say it's my second favorite case 3, with case 3-3 topping it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also Scuttlebutt owns and the villain breakdown in 3 might just be the best in the entire series.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, addendum to the previous post complaining about Case 3.

I made that post as I was finishing the case and hadn't seen the breakdown animation yet, that is the best thing. I still didn't like the case, but Means is kind of fun in a similar way to Damon Gant.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

That's totally okay, man. But yeah, the breakdown was absolutely beautiful.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It was dragging on until Means turned his hair into a mohawk and started throwing chalk at people.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Waffleman_ posted:

Dark Age of the Law? v:v:v

They never mention it explicitly, but I'm pretty sure it's got to be this. I mean, hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jurist System itself played a part in instigating it because the timeline presented as-is doesn't make a lick of sense.

Repeated King of Prosecutors Manfred von Karma convicted of the murder of Defence Attorney Gregory Edgeworth? Eh, whatever.
Damon Gant, the Chief of Police, convicted of the murder of Detective Bruce Goodman (and presumably all that fuckery with SL-9)? Pssh, no big deal.
Diego "Godot" Armando, convicted of the murder of famous author Elise Deuxnim? Stuff happens, I guess.

Defence Attorney Phoenix Wright forging evidence and getting disbarred? Yeah, that's a big deal so it makes sense they make a huge issue of it.
Prosecutor Simon Blackquill convicted of the murder of Metis Cykes? Well, that's the final straw. Dark Age of the Law, in... 7 years? Sure, sounds good.

Officer Daryan Crescend found guilty of the murder of Interpol Agent Roman le Tousse and blackmailing the current chief of police (and probably an accessory to the smuggling that not-blind kid did too)? Meh. Didn't play a part in the slightest, despite being 6 years after both of the above two incidents, mere months before the Jurist System's trial run and 1 year prior to the "start" of the Dark Age.

I'm sure the real issue is that they just wrote themselves into a corner with setting AA4 so far ahead of the original trilogy, but you'd think they'd have at least compensated for it by not making it seem like people were content with Nick and Blackquill for 6 years before things randomly went to poo poo and it was somehow their fault.

e; I probably put way too much thought into it, but the more I think about the ~*Dark Age of the Law*~ the less sense and relevance it seems to make.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 4, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Fulbright reveal actually didn't surprise me because I actually went through the list of people related to the case who possibly could have been there both seven years ago and during the recent bombing and he was the only one who fit the profile. I figured out it was him due to process of elimination, not because of any suspicion about how he was acting. I almost bought his spiel about being blackmailed by the real phantom though, because when Phoenix accuses him it really is on tenuous grounds.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The best anime scene is in Case 5
"I guess you wont be needing that eyepatch anymore."
"RIGHT! BECAUSE IM FINE NOW!"

All bandages come off. Pose.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Waffleman_ posted:

Dark Age of the Law? v:v:v It's never directly addressed.

Yeah, agreeing with what Dragonatrix said, I think they could write it off like this. (case 5 spoilers) About not only the Dark Age of the Law, but just the fact that people cannot trust the legal system, not just Aura, though she is a bit of an exception. The general idea I figured is "If both prosecutors and lawyers lie and cheat in order to get what they want, what can a group of jurors do to contribute to that? Why bother? They'd be manipulated just as easily as evidence or testimony. Granted, it could just be a bit of an issue with the writing, but if it isn't, that's what I'd say.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The Dark Age isn't something recent. It's been going on for roughly seven years by the time the game starts.

Von Karma getting arrested probably didn't do much because he has the voice of Satan, so him being evil is hardly a surprise. More seriously, Edgeworth had a lovely reputation when Phoenix started his career, already being infamous for forging evidence and doing whatever he could to win (even though he didn't actually do the former). It would be small leap to go from there to assuming the public had an equally poor opinion of his mentor.

As for Godot, he's a nobody. He'd taken roughly two-and-a-half cases across his career, all against Phoenix, so when people hear he was convicted of murder, most people would just go "Who?" Defense Attorney Armando's not much different, since he'd disappeared from the public eye years beforehand.

I've got no justifications for Gant, though.

Gutcruncher posted:

The best anime scene is in Case 5
"I guess you wont be needing that eyepatch anymore."
"RIGHT! BECAUSE IM FINE NOW!"

All bandages come off. Pose.

I thought that was stupidly comical, because he took off the bandages on his arms. You know, the ones that should have been covering actual injuries.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 4, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Perhaps the reason the ~\Dark Age of the Law/~ was so easily spurred from Nick losing his attorney's badge was because he's was a well-known attorney with a nearly perfect record, with all of his victories being truthful ones. And having someone with a status like his suddenly be accused of forging evidence would be rather shocking to the general public. I'd say that Blackquill being accused of murdering his mentor just happened way too close to Wright's loss. And with people seeing those two "evils" being done by people in the field of law probably opened everyone's eyes to the corruption that was already there. The ~\Dark Age of the Law/~ was probably something that already existed, but it took Phoenix losing his attorney's badge for people to even notice. Of course, that's just baseless speculation. The real reason is probably because the writers needed a central theme, and the ~\Dark Age of the Law/~ sounded cool, whether it made sense or not. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The playing card he has Apollo present in 4-1 is forged, isn't it? Using false evidence to convict a guilty man is pretty much the definition of ends-justifying-means.

It's never really presented as evidence, though. Here's how it goes down:

The Judge asks Apollo to provide a reason as to why the killer would remove a card from the scene. Apollo then shows a card with blood on it. The Judge is shocked and questions if this is the actual fifth ace, and Phoenix says "Yeah I picked it up after the murder and gave it to my daughter". Kristoph goes 'bullshit' and says the court can't accept it as evidence because it's a fraud, and Phoenix agrees, and says that the only person who could claim it was a fraud was the killer. The Judge never goes "the court accepts this into evidence", and neither is the card USED as evidence. It's just one of Phoenix's bluffs, but as an object. The possibility of the card with blood on it existing, and the possibility of that being the reason a card was removed from the scene, was enough for the court to consider that something was wrong with the crime scene, which leads into the whole recreating the scene part, specifically, that the position Kristoph was in was impossible. It's all a huge bluff, as Kristoph says. "So this is the legendary attorney's famed tactic of misdirection." Kristoph's mistake in all this was that, despite calling out his bluffing, he just went "well what about this bottle" which was stupid, because Phoenix never had any actual proof that Kristoph did it.

It's a pretty dirty tactic, and it could have easily fallen apart if Kristoph just stopped to think for a second, but it was entirely legal.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CandyCrazy posted:

As for Godot, he's a nobody. He'd taken roughly two-and-a-half cases across his career, all against Phoenix, so when people hear he was convicted of murder, most people would just go "Who?" Defense Attorney Armando's not much different, since he'd disappeared from the public eye years beforehand.

He was probably never famous, but he did do a lot more than just take cases against Phoenix. Gumshoe mentions offhand that the other prosecutors at the office admire him and that he's usually handling two or three other cases at a time when he's not going against Phoenix. Being the AA universe, he's probably winning all of those cases, too.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Terper posted:

It's never really presented as evidence, though. Here's how it goes down
The thing that gets me is that Wright's clients are just assumed guilty until proven innocent, whereas no matter how suspicious a witness' behavior is, or if the witness commits perjury multiple times, they get the benefit of the doubt. You can destroy their credibility, but the Judge just lets them explain away contradictions until Nick cracks them.

Sure, it's satisfying for gameplay, but it's no wonder that the heroes have resorted to some... underhanded methods on occasion.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's supposedly an allegory of the japanese courts, which has a very strong bias toward the prosecution. Regarding the dark age of the law, I don't really see the problem here: I mean it's never said that Blackquill and Wright's trials were the only responsible elements for it. Hell, it actually makes more sense if it's only the straw that broke the camel's back. The public opinion could chalk off a law enforcement type or two being corrupt but when there is a legal scandal every year for a while people are bound to lose trust in the system. Finally, it's also stated that both of those cases were highly emphatised in the press, which might have helped.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 4, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kajeesus posted:

He was probably never famous, but he did do a lot more than just take cases against Phoenix. Gumshoe mentions offhand that the other prosecutors at the office admire him and that he's usually handling two or three other cases at a time when he's not going against Phoenix. Being the AA universe, he's probably winning all of those cases, too.

It's Luke Atmey who bigs Godot up as this fearsome and revered prosecutor, but when you actually meet Godot he offhandedly comments that he's never prosecuted before. He got his badge just to take on Phoenix, after all. I don't recall anyone else talking about how great he is at prosecuting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

3-2 was explicitly the first case Godot ever prosecuted. Luke Atmey was deliberately bullshitting and Gumshoe is clueless.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm talking about the time between 3-2 and 3-5, which is a good couple months. If you present his profile to Gumshoe (in particular) in 3-3 and 3-5, he talks about Godot being very successful outside of the in-game trials, and explicitly mentions that Godot dropped his other two cases to focus on prosecuting Maggey.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kajeesus posted:

I'm talking about the time between 3-2 and 3-5, which is a good couple months. If you present his profile to Gumshoe (in particular) in 3-3 and 3-5, he talks about Godot being very successful outside of the in-game trials, and explicitly mentions that Godot dropped his other two cases to focus on prosecuting Maggey.

I imagine it's him doing other poo poo and not really caring, then just hoping to gently caress with Phoenix every chance he gets. I mean, he's gotta eat and stuff and even when he's not trying, Godot is a really talented lawyer. What's the deal with the name btw?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

CandyCrazy posted:

I thought that was stupidly comical, because he took off the bandages on his arms. You know, the ones that should have been covering actual injuries.
Yeah, that made me laugh. But hey, he's fine! HE'S FINE!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Austrian mook posted:

What's the deal with the name btw?

I'm not sure. I think we're all waiting for an explanation.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Waffleman_ posted:

:downsrim:
Man, he was a great character. I hope they bring him back some day.

Am I correct in assuming that Investigations 2 has never been fully translated? I tried finding the thread for the fan patch but I guess whoever works on it doesn't update all that frequently.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it a waiting for Godot reference? Is it?

I doubt he comes back though, there's no way he'd live up the second time and his arc was finished. One of the few characters I'd be happy not to see again, nothing he could do and he's just so rad.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

CandyCrazy posted:

My favorite bit is that flowing shonen head-scarf bandaged Apollo overrides whatever costume you have set for him, so in my game he took off the bandages covering his actual wounds and then immediately changed into his street clothes in the middle of the courtroom.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

And More posted:

He's probably dead. He was pretty unwell by the end of T&T anyway, even he admits it, and in the ending his portrait appears with all the other dead people, Mia and Misty I think?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

eating only apples posted:

He's probably dead. He was pretty unwell by the end of T&T anyway, even he admits it, and in the ending his portrait appears with all the other dead people, Mia and Misty I think?

So did he die in jail

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster

Austrian mook posted:

I imagine it's him doing other poo poo and not really caring, then just hoping to gently caress with Phoenix every chance he gets. I mean, he's gotta eat and stuff and even when he's not trying, Godot is a really talented lawyer. What's the deal with the name btw?

Diego Armando

Austrian mook posted:

So did he die in jail

That's whats implied, but nothing's ever stated outright.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Why the T then?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And More posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Investigations 2 has never been fully translated? I tried finding the thread for the fan patch but I guess whoever works on it doesn't update all that frequently.

There's an existing patch for the first two cases, but I think it'll be a while before we see more than that. They were hoping to have the first two cases out LAST year and it wasn't until August that it was released. And I'm sure that, like its predecessors, cases 3 and 4 are huge monstrosities that will take much longer than 1 and 2.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Austrian mook posted:

Why the T then?

'Cause he's pretentious and wants people to think he's read Samuel Beckett. Who knows. It's a cool name.

Austrian mook posted:

So did he die in jail

Ya or just keeled over right after the trial, again who knows.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wright's status as a heroic lawyer may have been the only thing stopping the public from freaking out about 3 prosecutors being found guilty of murder within the span of a few years. With him discredited and a fourth murderous prosecutor the public just gave up on the whole thing.

Terper posted:

It's never really presented as evidence, though. Here's how it goes down:
I guess it's just about legal within the context of the AA universe then, but it's still pretty sketchy.

And More posted:

I thought he was already on his last legs during T&T, and having his face explode can't have helped. He's probably dead by now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I 3D printed Apollo's bracelet last night. Still trying to pin down a good size so it's not too loose while still fitting over my hand :v: I'm not the best at 3D modeling so I haven't been able to make a good attorney's badge yet.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kazy posted:

I 3D printed Apollo's bracelet last night. Still trying to pin down a good size so it's not too loose while still fitting over my hand :v: I'm not the best at 3D modeling so I haven't been able to make a good attorney's badge yet.

That is rad as all hell.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kazy posted:

Oh wow that's awesome. Get it down, start selling 'em, make a buck! I'd buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So I just found the best thing ever: a bunch of the AA5 characters as Fire Emblem units. :getin:

Linked for possible spoilers (I'm covering my rear end, ok):

http://imgur.com/a/2OzmB
Now that I've beaten the game I can go back and fully appreciate these. And they are absolutely wonderful. :buddy:

Aura as a Falcoknight fits hilariously well. Simon is obviously a Swordmaster but I really like that they made Metis one as well (and classy to boot)! Jinxie being a Shaman next to Pearl's Sorceror is adorable :3: Juniper as a cleric is obvious but Scuttlebutt the wooden box assassin had me laughing pretty hard! I also really like how they used weapon ranks as a way to show just how accomplished and competent each character is - a lot of the younger and newer characters have Cs and Ds - and you'll note that Edgeworth is the only one with more than one A rank. There's so much detail crammed into these, I love it.

But who are the ones in the final picture? I don't recognize them. Are they from the DLC case, maybe? Or...is the one on the left Courte?

• Locked thread