Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
There is only one multi-lane roundabout I know of in my area (or at least that I've run across). I think someone figured Ohioans would screw it up, so there's a ton of signage, wide lanes, lots of markings that you can actually see in that Google maps image that direct traffic around. Still doesn't prevent a few idiots from being in the inside lane cutting over to the outside lane, traffic be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How about sharing the road with dogs?

Is there any real interest in a dashcam thread, or at least a "I caught this stupid poo poo on a dashcam" thread? It seems like several of us are either in the process of obtaining a dashcam, or already obtained one.

I found an odd bug in mine - it decided to reset itself to 00:00 / 1/1/2013 last night. No obvious reason, it just went "gently caress you". I only noticed it when I glanced at it and saw that it was recording a 00:03 timestamp at 9pm (I can't even see it from the drivers seat, since it's behind my rearview mirror, I just happened to glance at it while trying to grab something off the passenger seat) . Sort of makes me wonder if it has a DST bug of some sort.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

In Washington State, right-on-red across traffic (if clear) was legal, at least when I moved out here. (It was even covered in the driver's license handbook.) Not sure if it's still kosher, but I'm sure some other WaGoons can verify.

However, IMO, gently caress that. People are driving stupid enough without giving them *another* chance to "judge" the situation like that. "Oh, it was clear for me to go!" <45mph cross traffic a half block out as they crept into the intersection>

drat, it's probably a good thing I'm not driving at this time. (Van died, but budgetary issues = public transit. :smithicide:)

I actually meant to bitch about the left-on-red across traffic. :downs:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

some texas redneck posted:

Is there any real interest in a dashcam thread, or at least a "I caught this stupid poo poo on a dashcam" thread? It seems like several of us are either in the process of obtaining a dashcam, or already obtained one.

I'd be happy just seeing youtube or whatever links to anything capture-worthy posted in this thread. Or if it's not about terrible drivers you encounter just the AI youtube thread?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

davebo posted:

I'd be happy just seeing youtube or whatever links to anything capture-worthy posted in this thread. Or if it's not about terrible drivers you encounter just the AI youtube thread?

Yeah, let's try not to make too many threads about the same thing. The mods got angry when AI was approaching something like two dozen separate threads about car photos. I agree , stupid driver videos here, youtube worthy stuff in that thread.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

8ender posted:

We usually have police directing traffic is that not a thing in the USA?

I live near a major, weirdly shaped intersection with 2 merging lanes that you can't see from the main road that's a main route for emergency vehicles and there wasn't anyone directing traffic, even after multiple collisions happened in that exact spot. Down the road there were 2 cops hiding in a parking lot writing tickets for people running the intersections that didn't have lights, rather than getting out and directing traffic. It's all about that bottom line.

e: Just consider yourself lucky there aren't like 50 of those multi lane roundabouts around you. There's one really bad one I have to go through to get to my girlfriend's house that has a lane on the side of it to avoid the roundabout, but like clockwork a semi truck gets stuck in it every week despite all of the signs saying no trucks.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 4, 2013

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought all states had these. Hmmm, more you know.

This area has a problem with messy intersections that likely derived from horsepaths, with endless deviations from T or cross shapes that inevitably confuse people. Example:

Now this intersection is a mess for a variety of reasons (there's an awful five-way that feeds into it not far to the east, it combines two fairly high speed roads then runs through a college, etc) but what I wanted to show is this. Look at how many carlengths a southbound car has to move to get through the intersection. What isn't immediately obvious from the sat shot is that the east side is up a big hill, blocking all visibility of oncoming traffic, and making westbound panic braking a crapshoot - that truck heading west is probably at the crest. So people turning heading S-W and turning right have a huge distance to go with extremely poor view of whether there's oncoming traffic.

Or would, except it's not a right turn. It's a straight. You can kind of tell by the visible painted arrows, and there's signage next to the line indicating straight - which people blow past to make their 'right'. There's no 'no right turn on red' signs, because it's not a right turn. None of these keep people from blundering into the intersection.

I always try to avoid going through this intersection from the West. It's fairly easy from the way I normally come from. Just take some back roads right around it that also lets me skip three lights.

How could you not post that awful five-way?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

some texas redneck posted:

How about sharing the road with dogs?

I mount my GoPro in the Rover every day. Last week I forgot to charge it so it died 3 minutes into a rainy commute. That's the same morning some lady yakking on the phone driving a Suburban pulled out of a driveway and hammered the gas. The freshly moistened tarmac hastened her turn into a spin. She broadsided an innocent F150 in front of me and then proceeded to stay on the gas up over the curb and into a parking lot before coming to a jolting halt.

And I caught none of it on video. :doh:

I stopped to make sure everyone was uninjured then went on my way. If I'd been 3 seconds earlier leaving home it could have been me instead of the F150.

If a thread gets started I'll post there, otherwise they'll go here. I see stupid things nearly daily. I'll most likely mute my swear laced reactions though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Snowdens Secret posted:

We have far, far more intersections than we have police.

We also don't do the police auxiliaries or whatever y'all call deputies / volunteers on anything like the same scale.

If we're lucky, when the power to half the traffic lights goes out, the cops go direct traffic at the major ones, and you're on your own at the less-major ones. People seem to deal with it alright.

I've also seen a traffic light at a fairly major intersection (two five-lane roads) go into flashing-red safe mode on a Friday afternoon; rather than pay the electricians overtime, the city sent a guy out to put up temporary stop signs as a reminder. It got fixed around ten days later. Once while I was waiting my turn at it during the outage, a motorcycle cop pulled up and righted one of the stop signs that had blown over.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

YF19pilot posted:

There is only one multi-lane roundabout I know of in my area (or at least that I've run across). I think someone figured Ohioans would screw it up, so there's a ton of signage, wide lanes, lots of markings that you can actually see in that Google maps image that direct traffic around. Still doesn't prevent a few idiots from being in the inside lane cutting over to the outside lane, traffic be damned.

I knew that's the one you posted, it's actually getting removed even though it just went in not long ago. I eat at Pancho's down the road a few times a month. I used to hang out with the owner and his sons years ago, even bartended at the one that used to be in Canton. That roundabout is dangerous as hell because the people that live around there have no idea how it works. I'm always waiting to get hit in it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yeah, that's about 10 minutes from where I live...always a bit of pucker factor going through it.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I was through there last weekend and nearly got taken out. It's not a difficult concept but it is foreign to the locals i guess. I'm always in the outside lane since i'm going to Pancho's and nearly get ran over by people on the inside who realize last minute they need out of the circle. Plus people don't realize they have to yield to cars in the circle so that's a whole other clusterfuck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dear rear end in a top hat in a suburban with tires so big the top of your steering wheel is easily six feet off the ground: I applied my brakes because the car in front of me applied their brakes, because the guy in front of him was slowing down for a turn. My roof tops out at maybe five feet so I know drat well you could see the brake lights in front of me, if not two cars in front because I could see all of this just loving fine.

So please do not flash your high beams several times in succession telling me to go faster. This does not aid me in violating law of physics to phase through traffic that violates your opinion of how everyone on the road should stay out of your dumb rear end.

I hope my brake check spilled your coffee. :colbert:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've been in Ohio for 3 years now, and I've come to the realization that between Stark, Tuscarawas and Coshocton counties, people in this state can't drive for poo poo on a multi-lane highway.

Want to ride 10 miles under the speed limit in the left hand lane? Check.
Want to ride in someone's blind spot for miles on end without speeding up or slowing down? Check.
Want to pass in the right hand lane? Check.
Want to sit in the blind spot of a truck when it's trapped in the left hand lane? Check.
Want to not move over for miles on end when someone comes up on you like a bat out of hell? Why the gently caress not!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I've been in Ohio for 3 years now, and I've come to the realization that between Stark, Tuscarawas and Coshocton counties, people in this state can't drive for poo poo on a multi-lane highway.

Want to ride in someone's blind spot for miles on end without speeding up or slowing down? Check.
Want to sit in the blind spot of a truck when it's trapped in the left hand lane? Check.
Want to not move over for miles on end when someone comes up on you like a bat out of hell? Why the gently caress not!

Add to that "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE poo poo FALLING FROM THE SKY AND SOMETIMES STICKING TO THE ROAD?!? IT DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YEAR! I'M GOING TO DRIVE 30 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT TO BE SAFE!!! :derp:"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Geoj posted:

Add to that "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE poo poo FALLING FROM THE SKY AND SOMETIMES STICKING TO THE ROAD?!? IT DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YEAR! I'M GOING TO DRIVE 30 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT TO BE SAFE!!! :derp:"
I had a coworker that tried to get up a hill at 5mph in the snow. You can imagine this went really well. Eventually I ended up driving my car up the hill, got out, went down the hill and got in her car to get that up too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

It gets worse the closer you get to the lake. Unfortunately, I must say I am guilty of passing on the right, but that's because of the idiots who ride the left. They're like the Rock of Gibraltar when it comes to getting them to move over. Though that bad habit seems to disappear in favor of other bad habits once you get North of I270/I80, but Clevelanders will turn the Interstates up there into a racetrack, even in blizzard conditions.

Right now, locally, they've repaved Lake between Amherst and Wales, but haven't completely remarked the street, and it's like people who have been driving on this stretch of pavement for years have suddenly forgotten how to drive down it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Ever since the first freeze, the railroad crossing gates in my area haven't worked right. The one outside my office was down and signalling for about 36 hours, the cops left an unattended car with the lights going in front of it, and after not very long people were driving around the cruiser and snaking through the gates to get by. Apparently it was enough of a mess that the solution was to disable the gates entirely, at least for a few days. I had the joy of riding the train this weekend, and got to see the workaround: the train stops at every crossing, one conductor gets out and walks into the street trying to wave down the cars, and once it looks clear, the train pulls out. They're not given a vest, a flag, a sign, little flashlights with glowy cones, nothing.

On one intersection someone came peeling around the corner just as the train had started moving, and had the nerve to honk at the moving train as they sped in front of it. drat near hit the conductor, too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ever since the first freeze, the railroad crossing gates in my area haven't worked right. The one outside my office was down and signalling for about 36 hours, the cops left an unattended car with the lights going in front of it, and after not very long people were driving around the cruiser and snaking through the gates to get by. Apparently it was enough of a mess that the solution was to disable the gates entirely, at least for a few days. I had the joy of riding the train this weekend, and got to see the workaround: the train stops at every crossing, one conductor gets out and walks into the street trying to wave down the cars, and once it looks clear, the train pulls out. They're not given a vest, a flag, a sign, little flashlights with glowy cones, nothing.

On one intersection someone came peeling around the corner just as the train had started moving, and had the nerve to honk at the moving train as they sped in front of it. drat near hit the conductor, too.

Are people in your area mentally handicapped or something? Also, does the train have a horn or are they not allowed to use it in the city limits? Though considering how willingly the traffic seems to take themselves out of the gene pool that would probably be a futile effort anyways.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Haha goddamn. I saw this happening the other day and I couldn't tell what was going on, didn't see the conductor. I did not realize it was more gates than the few near my house.

YF19pilot posted:

Are people in your area mentally handicapped or something?

yes

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
In the case of a reported crossing malfunction, it'll be noted on the engineer's dispatch form with the milepost location and the engineer should be familiar enough with the territory to prepare to stop for it. Operating rules (on CSX territory) state that all trains have to stop before the crossing and have the conductor get out to block traffic before the train can enter it. Hopefully he'll light a red flare, hopefully he'll have his vest on. Hopefully the signal maintainer can get out there before this goes on for too much longer.
As far as the horn, engineers are allowed to blow it whenever they drat well please, quiet zones are for courtesy and only if the crossings in them have full gates, lane delineators etc. approved by the railroad/FRA.

And yeah, I'll cruise the right lane of the Ohio Turnpike for my entire trip and still pass 75% of the traffic on the road. No, I'm not swooping from behind someone not giving them time to change lanes, it's usually me coming up on them from a mile out with the right lane clear for them the whole time. It's gotten to the point where I'm actually a little annoyed by slow traffic using the right lane, as backwards as that is.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The only thing I miss about owning the Corvette is the "Moses effect" because the profile of the car seems to trigger all but the tiniest minority of people to move out of the way. Although even then there were situations where that was limited, and it got me far more attention from the police than I get in my gray 3 series (or any color, for that matter.)

There's another way to do this, and it's basically timing your braking so that you're more likely to appear to be approaching someone in the passing lane at high speed. Frequently this is the case anyway, but it's walking a fine line between causing people to panic and yank their car out of the lane vs waking them up by tripping the driver's Reichardt detectors so they react to your presence. Anyone else do this to "wake up" someone going 10 under in the left lane?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Anyone else do this to "wake up" someone going 10 under in the left lane?

Yep.. well I've tried. For much of the mid-west it's not gonna buy me anything. People who have chosen to cruise in the left lane don't give a poo poo what's happening in their mirrors.

Proper left lane usage doesn't really seem to become the norm until I get west of the Mississippi.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

8ender posted:

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe.

At least in Germany, flashing your brights on the autobahn is illegal. Don't want to rush someone into changing lanes when traffic is doing an average of 150 km/h best to a lane of semis doing 95 with salesmen bearing down at 220 in the fast lane.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

I will do this prior to passing on the right. I'll come up behind, wait a few seconds to see if they're going to think about moving over, if not I flick my brights a few times, and if they still don't move over I'll pass on the right.

No one seems to care about it around here, hasn't gotten me in any road rage incidents, and people tend to move over. I'm in Brockville though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Passing on the right is legal here in WA :smug:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

I had a coworker that tried to get up a hill at 5mph in the snow. You can imagine this went really well. Eventually I ended up driving my car up the hill, got out, went down the hill and got in her car to get that up too.

Me in FWD, coworker in AWD SUV. Both on studded winter tyres (as almost everyone here has). When the time came to go home, the parking lot had turned into an ice rink. It's also at a 10 degree slope at the far end (where we'd parked this day). I slipped and sat on my rear end once (almost twice) while walking to my car. Once in the car, I got up by careful moderation of clutch and throttle, but just loving barely (I had to back up and gather some speed).

My coworker gets in her car, backs out, and stomps the gas. Four wheel spin. And again. And again. After the fifth try, she got out and called to me, asking if I could drag her up with my towrope. After telling her there's no chance in hell that'll work she starts going on about how her AWD is broken. I try to coach her a bit about how maybe not stomping on the gas could help, but she's having none of that. So she calls a tow truck. I go home. The end.

This is a 56 year old women who has driven cars for 35 years in a country that gets snow 5 months of the year. :downs:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

And on the east side we just got the start of winter: snow is still dropping, and every fucktard on the road is all :downs: and driving just like yesterday when it was clear. :suicide: Saw this during the 2008 Snowmageddon, where people were still barreling along and drifting through the mess... on the freeway... while passing the State Patrol cars responding to a pre-existing accident. At least six times in the ten miles from work to where the bus finally went to surface streets. (It'd been almost entirely clear and dry up until just after noon, that day. And not only did we get record-breaking fucktons of snow, the poo poo kept coming down for about a month.)

Of course, back in Montana was the wonderful one: blowing, drifting snow - visability maybe half a block - residential side street. I'm driving *maybe* 20 in a '75 Chevy van, and all of a sudden *VROOOM* little import sedan whips past me going 35+ in the oncoming lane.

Of course, he was running out-of-state tags and a sticker for the Air Force base, but it was only about six weeks after the first snow had hit, and stayed, so dipshit should have had *some* experience by that point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Frank Dillinger posted:

At least in Germany, flashing your brights on the autobahn is illegal. Don't want to rush someone into changing lanes when traffic is doing an average of 150 km/h best to a lane of semis doing 95 with salesmen bearing down at 220 in the fast lane.

Doesn't stop the 200+ km/h VERY IMPORTANT BUSINESSMEN from flashing their brights like there's no tomorrow at anyone they deem to be impeding their VERY IMPORTANT DRIVING.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Geoj posted:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

Unless they're looking for a reason to pull you over.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

NoWake posted:

In the case of a reported crossing malfunction, it'll be noted on the engineer's dispatch form with the milepost location and the engineer should be familiar enough with the territory to prepare to stop for it. Operating rules (on CSX territory) state that all trains have to stop before the crossing and have the conductor get out to block traffic before the train can enter it. Hopefully he'll light a red flare, hopefully he'll have his vest on. Hopefully the signal maintainer can get out there before this goes on for too much longer.
As far as the horn, engineers are allowed to blow it whenever they drat well please, quiet zones are for courtesy and only if the crossings in them have full gates, lane delineators etc. approved by the railroad/FRA.

And yeah, I'll cruise the right lane of the Ohio Turnpike for my entire trip and still pass 75% of the traffic on the road. No, I'm not swooping from behind someone not giving them time to change lanes, it's usually me coming up on them from a mile out with the right lane clear for them the whole time. It's gotten to the point where I'm actually a little annoyed by slow traffic using the right lane, as backwards as that is.

Okay, this makes sense. I mean, I wasn't expecting rail operators to have a devil-may-care attitude about malfunctioning signals, but the anecdote made it seem like the death-wish drivers of that area were going out of their way to make a bad situation worse.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

According to my driving record they also write tickets for failure to inspect. :(

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

8ender posted:

I'm originally from Ontario, and I'd do it more if I wasn't afraid of getting shot by some hillbilly. I usually save it for the idiots who have NO loving IDEA what a right-hand-turn-on-a-red is.

Oh yeah, you guys loving LOVE to creep out into an intersection right as someone's going through.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

According to my driving record they also write tickets for failure to inspect. :(

Hahaha, inspections. This is basically the only perk that living in Alabama gets you. Well, that and some damned good college football teams.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Geoj posted:

Try it on the Schuylkill Expressway sometime. :pcgaming:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

And on the east side we just got the start of winter: snow is still dropping, and every fucktard on the road is all :downs: and driving just like yesterday when it was clear. :suicide: Saw this during the 2008 Snowmageddon, where people were still barreling along and drifting through the mess... on the freeway... while passing the State Patrol cars responding to a pre-existing accident. At least six times in the ten miles from work to where the bus finally went to surface streets. (It'd been almost entirely clear and dry up until just after noon, that day. And not only did we get record-breaking fucktons of snow, the poo poo kept coming down for about a month.)

There were so many remains of tire chains on the freeway that time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

YF19pilot posted:

Okay, this makes sense. I mean, I wasn't expecting rail operators to have a devil-may-care attitude about malfunctioning signals, but the anecdote made it seem like the death-wish drivers of that area were going out of their way to make a bad situation worse.

The rail operators were about to park the train and walk, they were so furious. They'd been calling the cops, but it's been like this apparently for almost two weeks now. We passed a crew working on another signal. I wasn't trying to impugn the conductors in any way, I was pointing out the drivers that thought somehow if the bars weren't down the train didn't have the right of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was pointing out the drivers that thought somehow if the bars weren't down the train didn't have the right of way.
And really the bars are irrelevant. The train always has the right of way.