Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, the virt-manager UI is awful. Not sure how that's a tiling WM's fault.

It's not a tiling WM's fault, per-se. I used virt-manager as an example of an application which assumes it can continue opening new windows, which Pycharm does, parts of Libreoffice do, Firefox used to do, etc. You can write a lot of rules so those classes behave basically like you expect them to (and they expect to), but it's a non-trivial effort, and many of the advantages of a tiling WM can be gained simply by using a terminal multiplexer effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

evol262 posted:

If you notice, I also posted Awesome configs. I've used Awesome.
Sorry, I didn't notice as that post showed up after I had loaded the page but before I hit reply. However, I see it now. I'm going to go digging through there and see if I see any good ideas though :cool:

evol262 posted:

Which says absolutely nothing, really. You can resize, swap, and move panes around in tmux, vim, or irssi just as readily. But when something throws an error in a popup that suddenly takes up half your screen automatically, it's an annoyance, and one that only gets worse in applications which are written with a traditional workflow in mind. Open virt-manager. Then open a VM. Go into the add hardware wizard. Create a new storage domain. Add a disk inside that domain. This sucks on a tiling WM.
Haven't ran into any of that, but I spend most of my time in terminals so my error messages don't "popup" cause gently caress that Windows-style "traditional workflow" bullshit.

evol262 posted:

Look. I'm a Python developer, and I spent years as a sysadmin. I get exactly what you mean. And if your workflow boils down to "have all my terminals visible at all times and add new terminals as easily as possible, rearranging their layouts without taking my hands of the screen", there's not much better than Xmonad or Awesome. But that's a minority of the population, even of the Linux-using population.
It sounded like the OP was pretty close to this workflow.

To be honest, it may not be the OPs cup of tea, but it's so easy to switch between window managers there isn't a good reason to give it a week or so and see if you like it. I was trying to curtail this:

DreadCthulhu posted:

Interesting explanation, thanks for taking the time there. It sounds like that'd not be extremely beneficial, and I do encounter a lot of the scenarios that you list in the "horror story" case, so what I have now feels like a better fit.

EDIT: I don't want to start a wm religous war or anything - other than the resizing of windows (and maybe I just haven't seen it yet) nothing you said struck me as wrong. So far I like it because it does what I want, and you didn't like it because it doesn't do what you want. Fair enough :unsmith:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 1, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I like Awesome for:
- Efficiently using space on my tiny laptop screen.
- Keeping all my terminals visible when I want to use one. Yes, you can also do this with screen and vim, but I'm more used to using Awesome for it.
- With Shifty, dynamic tag spawning/destruction is the best implementation of multiple desktops that I've found.
- Apps that don't play nice with tiling are easy, just create a floating layout workspace.

I hate it for:
- Breaking half the config with every single release

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone have much experience of compiling/installing from source with yum?

Currently running fedora f19 on an ARM chromebook and it seems chromium needs building from srpms rather than directly installing, but I have little clue how. Any advice on the basic process?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Don't get me wrong. I like tiling WMs. And I swap between Awesome and Xmonad on my laptop (usually using Xmonad until Awesome unfucks itself whenver it breaks). I just hate the idea that they're a "killer app" instead of a hassle for the average user.

Experto Crede posted:

Currently running fedora f19 on an ARM chromebook and it seems chromium needs building from srpms rather than directly installing, but I have little clue how. Any advice on the basic process?

yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools" && yum -y install rpmbuild && rpmbuild -bb package.srpm && ls ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/${arch}

If they built it right, the srpm will have a bunch of buildrequires (libwhatever-devel) that it'll pull in, but you may have to go through some painful bits yourself to build it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

If your dependacies aren't too complex and you don't want to want to pollute your system with dev packages, I would recommend mock.

It creates a chroot folder with all build tools. As long as the SRPM and spec file are sane it should be good.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

Edit: Building Chromium for ARM from SRPM packages only used to build for Intel processors might be a problem because Javascript engine v8 uses a lot of x86 assembly for optimization.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 2, 2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is it permitted to modify a packet in an xtables module? If not, what's the better way to modify each outgoing packet? Do I need to write a (fake) ethernet driver?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ninja Rope posted:

Is it permitted to modify a packet in an xtables module? If not, what's the better way to modify each outgoing packet? Do I need to write a (fake) ethernet driver?

What kind of modifications? Dummynet may already do what you want...

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

evol262 posted:

What kind of modifications? Dummynet may already do what you want...

Dummynet won't do what I want but while reading up on that I did find the skb_make_writable() function which will was enough to get me started. Thanks.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I love XUbuntu's alt-left click and drag to move anything, and alt-right click anywhere to resize windows. It solve's Ubuntu's silly problem with resizing a window with those 1-pixel grab areas.

Does anyone know of a good resource where I can read lots of random tips and good ideas for using Xubuntu and linux in general? I'm at the point where I feel really comfortable with it and just want to get better at whatever (bash scripting, improving usability, and capacities I might not know about yet).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

reading posted:

I love XUbuntu's alt-left click and drag to move anything, and alt-right click anywhere to resize windows. It solve's Ubuntu's silly problem with resizing a window with those 1-pixel grab areas.

Does anyone know of a good resource where I can read lots of random tips and good ideas for using Xubuntu and linux in general? I'm at the point where I feel really comfortable with it and just want to get better at whatever (bash scripting, improving usability, and capacities I might not know about yet).

You can do the exact same thing in regular Ubuntu. That is a feature of the window manager or X, I'm not sure which, but it's been in every Linux windowing GUI environment I've tried.

I like it so much that I use AltDrag on Windows to emulate it.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
edit: Thanks.

The Gay Bean fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 4, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know the specifics but that sounds like something I would check squid out for. Not sure if you could do it on demand but maybe per domain basis. Or at the least the proxy can cache content to speed things up. Have squid use the secondary connection and then anything not going through the proxy can just act normally.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Transparent proxying squid is exactly the right answer. But it's going to take significant setup. Alternatively, you could harass someone in another thread about writing a browser extension which forwards through a local proxy that goes through the VPN if and only if you get a 302. But because the problem presented is somewhat difficult and there's no tool to install that handles it all for you, I'd recommend just doing everything across the VPN.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd just use foxyproxy and tell it to proxy the blocked site

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
I'm trying to Google tutorials for setting up a private CA so my browser/computers will stop freaking out when I use self signed certs, I'm having trouble finding a thorough one, can anyone help?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

Transparent proxying squid is exactly the right answer. But it's going to take significant setup. Alternatively, you could harass someone in another thread about writing a browser extension which forwards through a local proxy that goes through the VPN if and only if you get a 302. But because the problem presented is somewhat difficult and there's no tool to install that handles it all for you, I'd recommend just doing everything across the VPN.

Just set the metrics on the adapter properly. It will use the primary connection unless it can't route to the address, them it will try to route through the VPN adapter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tallian posted:

Just set the metrics on the adapter properly. It will use the primary connection unless it can't route to the address, them it will try to route through the VPN adapter.

The address will be routable through the regular internet though.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
Sometimes I feel really unqualified for my job. Here's my latest problem.

I need a way to flip a pin on a pci-e slot. Specifically, I want to toggle the reset pin (A11). Either that, or just power cycle the whole slot. Most of the stuff I've found says to echo 1 into /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:xx.x/reset however this device doesn't actually identify itself to the system (doesn't show up in lspci or /sys/devices/). I can 100% guarantee there is no driver for this thing. If I designed it, it wouldn't be a loving pci-e card but I didn't and it is.

How can I do this? Do I need to write some kind of skeleton of a driver with just the ability to power cycle? Is this even possible?

edit to add a little detail: This device draws power from the pci-e slot, but as far as I know doesn't communicate at all. According to the manufacturer, it should honor a signal on the reset pin.

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 5, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Sometimes I feel really unqualified for my job. Here's my latest problem.

I need a way to flip a pin on a pci-e slot. Specifically, I want to toggle the reset pin (A11). Either that, or just power cycle the whole slot. Most of the stuff I've found says to echo 1 into /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:xx.x/reset however this device doesn't actually identify itself to the system (doesn't show up in lspci or /sys/devices/). I can 100% guarantee there is no driver for this thing. If I designed it, it wouldn't be a loving pci-e card but I didn't and it is.

How can I do this? Do I need to write some kind of skeleton of a driver with just the ability to power cycle? Is this even possible?

edit to add a little detail: This device draws power from the pci-e slot, but as far as I know doesn't communicate at all. According to the manufacturer, it should honor a signal on the reset pin.

First off, you arent the unqualified idiot, this hardware device manufacturer is. Tell them to provide a kernel module. What the hell is it?
If you REALLY want to power cycle this thing, get it the gently caress out of your computer, and wire up a pegboard with a pci-express slot on it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'd be surprised if there is any way to talk to a PCI slot if the card doesn't respond to the init signal. You certainly won't be able to make a driver for it if doesn't show up on the bus.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a way to install toilet on CentOS 5?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

Is there a way to install toilet on CentOS 5?

Probably.

What have you tried and where did you get stuck?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Probably.

What have you tried and where did you get stuck?

- I have been unable to find a good result through Google with "Centos 5" and "toilet".
- I have found no RPM file or mention of anyone ever installing it in CentOS 5. :(
- I have tried "yum install toilet". (EPEL/RPMForge)

The toilet project page has the source code available. I am only an infant when it comes to building source on Linux, but I may download it and give "make" a go. I was just curious if there was an obvious repository or RPM somewhere that I am not seeing. I wanna make sweet BBS-Banner text in my terminal!

edit: It's also fun to type "toilet".

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 6, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes you'll have to build it from source by the looks of it. Grab the tar.gz file, extract it and start by reading the README and/or INSTALL.

You will need to install things like make and gcc if you don't have them already, easiest way is to do yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

Then it's usually a simple case of ./configure, make, make install depending on how toilet's build system is set up but it's possible you will need extra libraries and development headers for those libraries. Usually the configure step will point this out to you.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just installed Fedora on my PC on a partition alongside Windows 8. The boot manager (grubs, I think it's called) automatically boots to Linux on startup after a timeout. How can I reconfigure it to auto-boot to Windows instead? Windows is still my preferred OS.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I just installed Fedora on my PC on a partition alongside Windows 8. The boot manager (grubs, I think it's called) automatically boots to Linux on startup after a timeout. How can I reconfigure it to auto-boot to Windows instead? Windows is still my preferred OS.

Nice troll.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I have two hard drives on my computer, and the second is sitting there doing nothing. I want to install Linux on that drive, in such a way that I can run it in a VM in Windows 7 normally, but I'd be able to boot into it directly if I needed. Is this possible?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Not easily, no.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

tractor fanatic posted:

I have two hard drives on my computer, and the second is sitting there doing nothing. I want to install Linux on that drive, in such a way that I can run it in a VM in Windows 7 normally, but I'd be able to boot into it directly if I needed. Is this possible?

Cursory google search shows it is in the manual.
Manual for VirtualBox.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Baron Bifford posted:

Does this do the job? https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Setting_default_entry

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

nescience posted:

I'm trying to Google tutorials for setting up a private CA so my browser/computers will stop freaking out when I use self signed certs, I'm having trouble finding a thorough one, can anyone help?

Try these out to configure your openssl.cnf
https://jamielinux.com/blog/category/CA/
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~zmiller/ca-howto/

Then to make it even easier I use this Makefile so that when I copy the .csr files I can just type
code:
make sign
and have a signed cert without having to remember all of the openssl voodoo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hard NOP Life posted:

Try these out to configure your openssl.cnf
https://jamielinux.com/blog/category/CA/
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~zmiller/ca-howto/

Then to make it even easier I use this Makefile so that when I copy the .csr files I can just type
code:
make sign
and have a signed cert without having to remember all of the openssl voodoo.

These are good (except that Debian distros keep their keys in /usr/share/ca-certificates, I think), but do nothing to solve the browser problem.

You'll need to add the certificates to your browser one by one, or use certutils and schlep out a new cert db (which is per-profile in Firefox, annoyingly)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have a problem with Fedora's terminal.

When I want to change to a certain directory, I always have to type out the full path, ie:

cd /home/bifford/Downloads

From the tutorials I read online, I ought to be able to get to a subdirectory within the active one without typing out the full path, ie

cd Downloads

This does not work and I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What's the error message?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Is GParted still the go-to live CD for utilities? I'm swapping out my laptop's SSD for a larger one. Win 7 Pro.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Is GParted still the go-to live CD for utilities? I'm swapping out my laptop's SSD for a larger one. Win 7 Pro.

Parted Magic is pretty good as well. Or if you use CLI for everything RIP Linux used to be my go-to for recovery.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

JHVH-1 posted:

Parted Magic is pretty good as well. Or if you use CLI for everything RIP Linux used to be my go-to for recovery.
Thanks, I'll check those out, too.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
A few pages back in this thread I posted a problem I had with my old PC where I reported that the grubs boot manager was operating extremely slowly. It was suggested that I had a hardware fault. I think it may have been my CPU. When I took apart my old PC I noticed the fan was faulty and I think that the CPU had been overheated for quite some time. Is my hunch correct? I think 60 degrees is a bit hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Sometimes after a convergence on chef, nginx starts throwing 502 errors. ps shows the emperor and worker threads are still running. service uwsgi status returns uwsgi start/running, process 28743. One of the last things the convergence on chef does is:

code:
service "uwsgi" do
	provider Chef::Provider::Service::Upstart
	action :restart
end
And yet the 502 errors don't stop until I login to the box and do a [fixed]service uwsgi restart[/uwsgi]. Any suggestions for how to figure out why this is happening?

The error from the nginx log was:
code:
2013/11/07 23:07:34 [error] 28736#0: *5 upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream, client: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, server: test.mycoolsite.com, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "uwsgi://unix:///var/www/mycoolsite/virtualenv/run/uwsgi.sock:", host: "test.mycoolsite.com"