Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tag those and you are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

I just picked this up, and I'm up to Saudi Arabia. I'm playing as Recruit, for some reason (partly due to misreading the Before I Play entry) and I'm not sure how to pick my 3 tag skills. I'm thinking Sabotage and Stealth and Pistols?

So far, I got through Saudi Arabia by running, gunning, and beating people up (already got the Achievement for 50 melee kills), but I expected a typical Obsidian talk-fest (that's why I bought AP). Does it get more open/talkier as things go on?

Sabotage isn't great, though you always want at least two points in it. I'd take Toughness or Martial Arts for the third skill.

And keep playing, once you get out of Saudi Arabia it opens up and becomes the best game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
How's Technical Aptitude? I pretty much plan on shooting and hacking and talking my way through the game, but since I suck at stealth I'm thinking maybe pick Stealth I can use those skills to bypass stealth sections.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

How's Technical Aptitude? I pretty much plan on shooting and hacking and talking my way through the game, but since I suck at stealth I'm thinking maybe pick Stealth I can use those skills to bypass stealth sections.

The game doesn't really have stealth sections - it's more "sneak around so you can get a good angle when you shoot everyone in the head" stealth rather than "avoid the enemies and get a game over screen if someone sees you."

Technical Aptitude is a decent third skill, the extra inventory means you can carry more gadgets, some of which are useful to avoid hacking minigames (EMP grenades.) It also gives you a little bonus dialog in one of the missions.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
You'll definitely want to upgrade Stealth until you get whatever ability gives a few seconds of invisibility when enemies. Not only can it give you a few seconds of coverage to let you line up a shot, but it also alerts you when an enemy has spotted you so you can get to cover before they become hostile. Other than that, upgrade Pistol until you get the awesome version of Chain-Shot and you'll say good-bye to bosses. If you upgrade whatever ability lets you have more items (or maybe it's an armor, I can't remember), then you can just bring a ton of EMP grenades to missions and not have to worry about putting points into tech skills. I'd say just split the remaining points between Toughness and Martial Arts.

Though, that's just my playstyle, and it's a build I'd recommend for your first play-through. There's a ton of different builds you can try. Shotgun-rear end in a top hat Thorton is a popular one. Just enjoy playing through the game however you want, and then on subsequent playthroughs change things up.

Also, you gotta post your reactions to follow-up playthroughs. It's a rite of passage.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pistols is literally the best skill in the game. Get it if you don't care that combat will never ever be hard again.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

"Oh, a boss? Hold on two seconds while I fire six critical shots directly into your face."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dauntasa posted:

Pistols is literally the best skill in the game. Get it if you don't care that combat will never ever be hard again.
Which you should, because the combat is acceptable but certainly nothing more and the faster it goes by the better.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

monster on a stick posted:

And keep playing, once you get out of Saudi Arabia it opens up and becomes the best game.

Pretty much this. Saudia Arabia is a bit of a slag but it's so worth it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One of the best moments in the AP saga is when you've already done a completionist run and so you don't really care about being thorough anymore, so you can just blow through Saudi as fast as possible. I got through Saudi in about half an hour once by just running through all the missions as fast as I could, and then got to enjoy the actual game without delay.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Stealth is also similarly broken at high levels because you can get a minute of invisibility to just run up and knife/choke everyone in a room without problems. Then you pistol-headshot everyone who remains. But yeah, pistols are some seriously broken poo poo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's bad enough that the pistol tree has Chain Shot, but that skill that lines you line up perfect head shots without ever leaving cover is almost as broken. I mean, c'mon, assault rifles and SMGs may as well not exist.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

It's bad enough that the pistol tree has Chain Shot, but that skill that lines you line up perfect head shots without ever leaving cover is almost as broken. I mean, c'mon, assault rifles and SMGs may as well not exist.

Which reminds me, your second weapon should be rifles because they are good long-range weapons for when you need to reach out and touch someone far away, and the level designer or Steven Heck didn't leave you a sniper rifle.

Also one fun tip during the Saudi Arabia mission where Darcy is your handler: towards the end you have to hack a terminal in an enclosed space, after which the thugs come after you. This is an important time to learn that the "incendiary grenade" can also be used as a trap by attaching it to a wall - get close to a surface, and when you try to throw, you'll see the grenade appear to 'stick' to the wall. As soon as enemies get close, it goes off and everyone nearby catches on fire. This never ever gets old. :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah you should always have an assault rifle as a secondary weapon, it makes the helicopter boss at the Greybox laughably easy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm honestly not sure why people ever had problems with that fight, there are missile launchers all over the place and I think you can even hit it with chain shot.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

orcane posted:

I'm honestly not sure why people ever had problems with that fight, there are missile launchers all over the place and I think you can even hit it with chain shot.

It's because it's hard to dodge helicopter fire that ignores cover and also take out a bunch of dudes in awkward positions and also hunt around for one-shot missile launchers that just barely do the job if you don't miss any of them, when there has never been any fight in the game prior that couldn't be won by ducking in a corner.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tempo 119 posted:

It's because it's hard to dodge helicopter fire that ignores cover and also take out a bunch of dudes in awkward positions and also hunt around for one-shot missile launchers that just barely do the job if you don't miss any of them, when there has never been any fight in the game prior that couldn't be won by ducking in a corner.

There is that one spot you can stand and shoot the helicopter and it can't hit you. That sweet cheesy spot. Love that spot.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Chain Shot isn't super-broken yet, but I've only got it on level 3. That and my default assault rifle (plus too much time playing Gears of War) make combat pretty easy. It does feel like most of the time I'm playing a cover shooter, with a bit of Deus Ex mixed in. I finished with Moscow and I still want some of the genius dialogue Obsidian put in FO: New Vegas. Still, its an addictive game. I've let everybody live so far; I won't do that in future playthroughs but I'm a big softy. I kinda feel the characters aren't crazy enough - they're on the line between realistic and over the top.

The 'Alpha' in the name and the apparent ability to seduce every female character makes me think of a Pick Up Artist training game. Somebody photoshop a 'neg' conversation stance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think you should go to Taiwan.

Dec 26, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I kinda feel the characters aren't crazy enough - they're on the line between realistic and over the top.

Oh boy. :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You've met SIE and Brayko and you don't think the characters are crazy enough?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Count Chocula posted:

Chain Shot isn't super-broken yet, but I've only got it on level 3. That and my default assault rifle (plus too much time playing Gears of War) make combat pretty easy. It does feel like most of the time I'm playing a cover shooter, with a bit of Deus Ex mixed in. I finished with Moscow and I still want some of the genius dialogue Obsidian put in FO: New Vegas. Still, its an addictive game. I've let everybody live so far; I won't do that in future playthroughs but I'm a big softy. I kinda feel the characters aren't crazy enough - they're on the line between realistic and over the top.

The 'Alpha' in the name and the apparent ability to seduce every female character makes me think of a Pick Up Artist training game. Somebody photoshop a 'neg' conversation stance.

You already met the woman you can "neg" successfully; aggressive stance is usually pretty mean, when not violent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I don't know that it counts as negging if it's SIE you're talking about. She just gets off on being yelled at.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Unreal_One posted:

You already met the woman you can "neg" successfully; aggressive stance is usually pretty mean, when not violent.

Now I want to play AP again just to relive that scene with rear end in a top hat Thorton meeting Grigori... :allears:

God I love this game.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Count Chocula posted:

Keep in mind that the dialogue isn't really brilliant...the first time you play. It's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times. I've done 7 playthroughs so far and there are two major events in the game that I don't even know how you approach, much less seeing any of their payoffs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You also haven't met the best villain in the game yet. I'd say he's one the best video game villains in general because he's the only one I can think of that really puts your player input into account.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Riven posted:

Keep in mind that the dialogue isn't really brilliant...the first time you play. It's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times. I've done 7 playthroughs so far and there are two major events in the game that I don't even know how you approach, much less seeing any of their payoffs.

It takes more than one playthrough to see just what sets AP apart from other games. I'll agree with New Vegas having better dialogue, but it's all relatively static. With a game that big, that has so many variables, there's only so much that the NPC's can react to. AP makes you feel like every character knows what you've been doing; in NV, you can have a conversation with someone and they won't have a clue that you've slaughtered every single person you talked to before them.

Alpha Protocol has a way of ruining the replay value of just about every other game with dialogue choices. Walking Dead is the only game I've played that's come close, but I haven't gotten through all 5 episodes yet so I'm not sure if it'll hold up as well the 4th time around.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Alpha Protocol has a way of ruining the replay value of just about every other game with dialogue choices. Walking Dead is the only game I've played that's come close, but I haven't gotten through all 5 episodes yet so I'm not sure if it'll hold up as well the 4th time around.
Haha, no. If Alpha Protocol is the current king of meaningful choices, Walking Dead is the current king of pretending to have choices. You can't really affect how anything turns out, so multiple playthroughs are pretty pointless unless you really want to hear slightly different versions of the same conversations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Walking Dead and Alpha Protocol are all about choice but in very different ways. Alpha Protocol is all about making sure the game reacts to your choices and tells you a really interesting story that adeptly accounts for a massive amount of player freedom. The Walking Dead is all about giving you very tough decisions and forcing you to live with the consequences. Alpha Protocol is a game you can play 5 times and get something different each time. The Walking Dead is a game you can only play once, because when you play through, that's what Lee's story is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

About the only thing Alpha Protocol and The Walking Dead have in common is the timed conversation system.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've not played The Walking dead but it's been interesting to hear about. The first episode or two, all the buzz was "best choice in a game ever" and I heard a good few "if Alpha Protocol was actually good" comments- I guess the similar conversation systems put the association in people's minds; by the time all the episodes were out the comments had shifted to "well it's no Alpha Protocol, but..."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

2house2fly posted:

I've not played The Walking dead but it's been interesting to hear about. The first episode or two, all the buzz was "best choice in a game ever" and I heard a good few "if Alpha Protocol was actually good" comments- I guess the similar conversation systems put the association in people's minds; by the time all the episodes were out the comments had shifted to "well it's no Alpha Protocol, but..."
You get the same story every time in The Walking Dead just the details change, and by god you care to the bone about those details.

You can really feel the 'funneling' that goes on unfortunately. There's no denying that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played the first episode of Walking Dead and got excited that someone (FINALLY) had just stolen AP's conversation mechanics unashamedly.

Then I talked to my friend and found out that even though we had chosen almost every decision differently, everything happened the same way. Haven't played it since.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, in TWD it's less about the individual plot beats and more about your relationships and motivations with other characters. It's a great system but sells itself on the wrong thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This thread just does not want to die, I love it :shobon:

monster on a stick posted:

Which reminds me, your second weapon should be rifles because they are good long-range weapons for when you need to reach out and touch someone far away, and the level designer or Steven Heck didn't leave you a sniper rifle.

Honestly, once you upgrade the pistol, the range for critical shots does go up quite a bit and you can actually shoot sniper without ever leaving cover.

Regarding the Walking Dead chat, I really think that it's more of an interactive movie as dumb as that sounds. I mean the puzzles are easy, the plot is pretty restrictive apart from a few key choices... Don't get me wrong though, it's still really great and I love it, the atmosphere and the way it gets you to care about your video game choices.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, in TWD it's less about the individual plot beats and more about your relationships and motivations with other characters. It's a great system but sells itself on the wrong thing.

Exactly. The story in TWD is already planned out, and you're playing the story that already is in place, but you're free to decide how Lee reacts to things. Character X will always die, but Lee can react to that death with anger, sadness, or unconcerned silence. The group will always fall into crisis at point Y, but people will remember if Lee was a dick or not to them. It's a great story, but I think a lot of people were expecting a Choose Your Own Adventure, when it just isn't that. It's like watching a movie, except with the occasional QTE to kill a zombie and the ability to choose how much of a dick or a saint the protagonist is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Wolf Among Us seems to be going the same route as the walking dead - basically choose how much of an rear end in a top hat your character is. Episode 1 is pretty good and I'm really looking forward to the rest... still no Alpha Protocol though.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

2house2fly posted:

That's because TWD is very good at making you think you're making choices that will have a big impact down the line. But it's all smoke and mirrors. You can't affect the story in any way, outside of the obvious "who do you save" choices, and that became apparent once Season 1 was done.

The whole thing left me kind of jaded and disappointed after I had played AP, where whole plotlines open and close based on what you said, what you've done, and what you know. Don't get me wrong, TWD is a great story, but its "choice" system is pathetic compared to AP's.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ceyton posted:

That's because TWD is very good at making you think you're making choices that will have a big impact down the line. But it's all smoke and mirrors. You can't affect the story in any way, outside of the obvious "who do you save" choices, and that became apparent once Season 1 was done.

The whole thing left me kind of jaded and disappointed after I had played AP, where whole plotlines open and close based on what you said, what you've done, and what you know. Don't get me wrong, TWD is a great story, but its "choice" system is pathetic compared to AP's.
The choice system is only pathetic in terms of being able to shape the outcome of the overall plot. But that's not the point of the choices in TWD. The point of the choices in TWD is to shape what kind of character Lee is and what kind of person Clementine sees him as. There's no way you can argue that your choices don't have a huge impact on that. They do! That the overall plot plays out in broadly the same way no matter what hardly changes the fact that who Lee is changes vastly based on what you decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
When I first bought this game during a Steam sale a year or three ago, I almost immediately quit after I fell through the world most of the way through the tutorial. I never had any interest in picking it back up again, but reading through these comments makes it sound good enough for another shot. Here goes.

• Locked thread