Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Raphus C posted:

I think you have your bikers a bit wonky. Give them a painboy and Cybork bodies. 5++ is invaluable in CC, FnP is also handy.

Also, Trukk Boyz are a dodgy unit. They will die quickly and 10 bodies is not enough. If you want trukks, put Mega-Nobz in them. A dangerous unit that your opponent will choose to shoot at over your biker nobz. 3 Manz is small but killy.

If you want trukk boyz, you should make them units of 12.

I was planning on having 10 boyz, a nob and an HQ in each of the trukks, thus bringing it up to 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The general consensus seems to be Eldar. Have a hastily repainted Biel-Tan Farseer that I really should've stripped the three undercoats off of first.

I'm still tempted to do Iyanden though.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd suggest going off the beaten track and do one of the more obscure Craftworlds, or a bake your own. The standard colour schemes for Eldar have all been done to death at varying levels of quality, and a lot of them seem to lack a cohesion (Mostly because reversing the colours for aspects/vehicles appears to be the norm)

I'm really keen on reversing the angle done with the bone Dark Eldar we've seen in the thread before (are these yours, I can't remember richyp?) and do Craftworld Eldar in DE schemes - Lots of 'offblack' and iridescent shades for armour, a real chitin look. There's the semi-famous Eldar army of the guy who does H.R.Giger inspired painting, and it always looks astounding on them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Woop woop! Visions of Heresy get!

Maybe. Black Library's website is making GBS threads itself and my payment never showed the confirmation step, but I see the book in my order tab :tinfoil:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
All this talk of Wraithguard has reignited my interest in a pure Wraith Eldar army. Please stop talking about them.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shockeh posted:

I'd suggest going off the beaten track and do one of the more obscure Craftworlds, or a bake your own. The standard colour schemes for Eldar have all been done to death at varying levels of quality, and a lot of them seem to lack a cohesion (Mostly because reversing the colours for aspects/vehicles appears to be the norm)

I'm really keen on reversing the angle done with the bone Dark Eldar we've seen in the thread before (are these yours, I can't remember richyp?) and do Craftworld Eldar in DE schemes - Lots of 'offblack' and iridescent shades for armour, a real chitin look. There's the semi-famous Eldar army of the guy who does H.R.Giger inspired painting, and it always looks astounding on them.

Yeah the Bone Eldar were an earlier project of mine (along with the Bone Necrons, and the Bone Deathwing).

I could try out a black, white and purple scheme on some of my old Dire Avengers. Maybe black armour, purple cloth, gems and helmets and white symbols. Once the little guy's gone down for his afternoon nap, I'll break out the spray paint.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I went for the slightly obscure, though now mentioned in the codex yme-Loc craftworld. Supposed to be a medium grey and a reddy-orange, but I dialed it up to dark grey and dayglo (plus nightglow) orange. I think the contrast works well, even if I'm doing it pretty simply at the moment.

Edit: By which I mean, I think Eldar and Deldar above all others are complemented most by using two starkly contrasting primary colours

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 4, 2013

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Yeah the Bone Eldar were an earlier project of mine (along with the Bone Necrons, and the Bone Deathwing).

I could try out a black, white and purple scheme on some of my old Dire Avengers. Maybe black armour, purple cloth, gems and helmets and white symbols. Once the little guy's gone down for his afternoon nap, I'll break out the spray paint.

Really should strip these before repriming. Not happy with the dark colours, way too grimdark. Tried various colours on the helmet (green, blue, red, bone, and purple). Bone looked ok, but then it's pretty much Ulthwé. I could try flipping the scheme and having purple and black helmets, with a third colour for the gems (probably yellow).

EDIT: In fact it looks like I had the same idea a few years ago. Here's an Autarch I painted ages ago (and butchered with badly painted, incorrect icons)

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 4, 2013

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd do black, but accent the secondary colour onto the armour as the highlights. Like the old studio Dark Eldar scheme, give the impression it's actually green/purple/even a bronze colour, but so dark it's like glossy chitin.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I've said before that I've been helping my friend out with his first 40k army. Well, I got my hands on a set of Defiler legs and the Lord of Skulls torso and well...

...I think I did a pretty good job of combining the two :toot:

He went and build a Herald of Nurgle on a Palanquin and these are the results:

A Herald surfing atop a writhing pile of zombies is pretty :black101: He really 'gets' 40k, in my opinion.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Since you left the head off the Lord of Skulls, all I can see now is the stomach-mouth and the two circles under the shoulder pads as the face of some horrific fish and I can't unsee it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Slimnoid posted:

A Herald surfing atop a writhing pile of zombies is pretty :black101: He really 'gets' 40k, in my opinion.

He certainly does.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll let you guys know how it goes, I know ultramega's dying to field his IG. As for my list, I'm pretty attached to this 1000 point list I've made up:

code:
Necrons 6th Ed (2011) (Primary Detachment) Selections (1000pts/1000pts):
HQ (185pts)
Necron Overlord (on foot with the immortals) (185pts)
-Resurrection Orb (30pts), Staff of Light
Royal Court (65pts)
Harbinger of Despair (in scythe w/deathmarks) (40pts)
-Abyssal Staff (Shroud of Despair), Nightmare Shroud (10pts)
Harbinger of the Storm (riding in the ark with the warriors) (25pts)
-Voltaic Staff (Haywire)

Elites (233pts)
7x Deathmark (133pts)
Night Scythe (100pts)

Troops (402pts)
10x Necron Immortal (170pts)
10x Gauss Blaster
9x Necron Warrior (117pts)
9x Gauss Flayer
Ghost Ark (115pts)
2x Gauss Flayer Array 

Heavy Support (180pts)
Annihilation Bargex2 (180pts total)
Living Metal, Quantum Shielding
Gauss Cannon, Twin-Linked Tesla Destructor 
Basic idea is that the overlord hq and the immortals camp an objective, while all the vehicles play aggresively by bumrushing things and dropping the deathmarks onto whatever group looks like they're going to score or have an easily picked off HQ.

I'm sure a necron player will tell me why I'm wrong but it seems like you're pretty light on troops. 2 squads of 10 sounds like you can lose all your scoring in a round or two of good shooting. Can necrons still resurrect if the whole squad is killed? Last I remember you needed at least one standing model to roll.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Fuegan posted:

Since you left the head off the Lord of Skulls, all I can see now is the stomach-mouth and the two circles under the shoulder pads as the face of some horrific fish and I can't unsee it.

Dammit. That's so much better an image than "I forgot to glue it on."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mmj posted:

I'm sure a necron player will tell me why I'm wrong but it seems like you're pretty light on troops. 2 squads of 10 sounds like you can lose all your scoring in a round or two of good shooting. Can necrons still resurrect if the whole squad is killed? Last I remember you needed at least one standing model to roll.

At 1000, that's fine, I think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

At 1000, that's fine, I think.

Also my prospective 1500 list is pretty much that but with a kitted out destroyer lord riding with 6 wraiths, a bunch of scarabs, and a few other min-maxed things like probably a few more warriors. The whole goal is to make a well balanced list to not be too dickish for the casual beerhammer games. I haven't decided what to run but in the coming months I'll pick based on what I can afford, but I'm not going to do something dickish like running 6 night scythes. Though I do think it'd be hilarious to put trazyn and 10 sword&board lychguards into my night scythe and drop them onto an opposing point. That might be the only dickish thing I'd ever consider running though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also my prospective 1500 list is pretty much that but with a kitted out destroyer lord riding with 6 wraiths, a bunch of scarabs, and a few other min-maxed things like probably a few more warriors. The whole goal is to make a well balanced list to not be too dickish for the casual beerhammer games. I haven't decided what to run but in the coming months I'll pick based on what I can afford, but I'm not going to do something dickish like running 6 night scythes. Though I do think it'd be hilarious to put trazyn and 10 sword&board lychguards into my night scythe and drop them onto an opposing point. That might be the only dickish thing I'd ever consider running though.

It's not really all that dickish, considering that one unit and transport is 725pts (815pts with a properly kitted Necron Lord [MSS, RO, Warscythe]). That's insanely costly for a single purpose scoring unit in a non-Apocalypse game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PierreTheMime posted:

It's not really all that dickish, considering that one unit and transport is 725pts (815pts with a properly kitted Necron Lord [MSS, RO, Warscythe]). That's insanely costly for a single purpose scoring unit in a non-Apocalypse game.

But totally worth it. Seriously though it's probably not worth it but still funny.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

nurgle stuff

I was really impressed with his "Baron von Shoulderpads" bike but all the pictures I can find are pretty low quality and low light. Do you have any better pix of that?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I was really impressed with his "Baron von Shoulderpads" bike but all the pictures I can find are pretty low quality and low light. Do you have any better pix of that?

It was a couple shots I took at his place, which has some pretty bad lighting for taking photos. It was the best I could do given the situation.

Eventually I'll drag a light box over and take some proper shots.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
3 Dire Avengers and a Farseer later, I've found a colour combo that I kind of like.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ooh, I really like that, but I think it could use a warm accent color like red or orange to make it really pop.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A pastel orange would be really great.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Yes, yeeees. The closer we can get to your kickin rad Dark Eldar the better. I was excited to see what you could put out with their craftworld cousins.

Might I suggest a nice pink as an accent :haw:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
If you ever do grab some Tau richyp, it'd be awesome to see you try some dazzle camo on one. Those flat square sides would work well with it and I get the feeling you're one of the people that could make that look great on the tabletop.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Pacheeco posted:

BA can field 11 Dreads in a single FoC. 3 Elite slot Furiosos, 3 Heavy slot dreads and 5 Troop slot DC dreads. All you need is an HQ and a 25 man DC squad.

A Big Mek can only make ONE Deff Dread a Troop. In a single FoC list you could get 2 Troop Deff Dreads and 3 squads of 3 Killa Kans in the Heavy slots.

Dread Mob from Imperial Apocalypse 8 can field Killa Kans as FA, and iirc, a Big Mek can take a Mega Dread or Meka Dread as a dedicated transport, thus opening up 3 dreads plus 1 as a troop choice for a total of: 1 "big" dread, 9 killa kans, and 4 deff dreads. With Dizzy's low-troop list, the max of 20 boyz on a spanna mob won't bother him at all.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Question for anyone who's read The Fall of Orpheus, what are the big features they included with krieg assault brigades?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ultramega posted:

Question for anyone who's read The Fall of Orpheus, what are the big features they included with krieg assault brigades?

A lot of models got +1 WS
don't take morale checks for 25% casualties in shooting
regroups on Ld (instead of snakeeyes) if within 6" of officer
senior orders:
- Duty unto death: until next shooting phase: may re-roll any failed leadership test, and if rolls double 1 on a leadership test, gains Fearless
- Bring it Down: as per IG
- Get Back into the Fight: as per IG

Junior orders:
- Dispersed Advance: gains Move Through Cover until next Shooting
- FRFSRF: as per IG
- Without Mercy: lasguns and laspistols are assault 2, 12" and gains Crusader for remainder of player turn

No veterans, buncha cool poo poo in elites (griffon squadron, a leman russ that you can draw LoS from for any other unit in detachment for barrage weapons, hydras, rapier laser destroyer battery), platoons are PCS/infantry only, storm troopers are troops, chimera has an autocannon, death riders are platoons in fast attack, HWTs are platoons in heavy support, no vendettas, but thunderbolt/lightning/avenger squadrons

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Dread Mob from Imperial Apocalypse 8 can field Killa Kans as FA, and iirc, a Big Mek can take a Mega Dread or Meka Dread as a dedicated transport, thus opening up 3 dreads plus 1 as a troop choice for a total of: 1 "big" dread, 9 killa kans, and 4 deff dreads. With Dizzy's low-troop list, the max of 20 boyz on a spanna mob won't bother him at all.

You have a big muddle of Codex Orks and IA8 rules there, Dread Mobs don't have any of the FOC fiddling codex lists do.

In a Dread Mob:
A Kustom Meka-Dread is an HQ choice not a transport.
All Deff-Dreads are troop choices, in mobs of 1-3 dreads (taking one unit of Spanna boyz is compulsory so you can't have all dreads for troops).
Kans are FA in mobs of 3-5.
Mega-Dreads are HS, 1 per slot.

Plus various Codex units are missing/different. Spanna boyz for instance can't take Nobs or special weapons, they can take one Mek with special weapons instead. No battlewagons either. It's a flavourful list but not great unless you don't really care about anything other than an excuse to convert loads of mekboy junkas, looted wagons, scrap trukks and grot tanks.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks baruch.
Also shallow I love your avatar a lot.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

So what's the current rumor as far as this month's new codex goes? Is it a 40k race? If so, which? I really want tyranid updates but orkz deserve it more right now.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Tyranids supposedly this month. Imperial Guard in january. Or march. Depends I guess.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Ultramega posted:

Tyranids supposedly this month. Imperial Guard in january. Or march. Depends I guess.

Negative - Tyranids in Jan.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

richyp posted:

3 Dire Avengers and a Farseer later, I've found a colour combo that I kind of like.

I actually really like it how it is. I see what people mean about a splash of color - but this is a unique and cool look imho.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

richyp posted:

Don't listen to 'em, keep orange off that hotness. It's so basic at this point to stick orange on blue stuff every time, but you've got a visually distinct thing going on. Just put some contrasting warmth into your bases (some lava or slime channels) and you'll be golden.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks for clearing that up, carl. I'd heard a couple different places saying tyranids this month, another was saying orcs, etc. I just want the new IG dex to come out pronto so I don't have to wait around trying to finalize what I want to order from forge world.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

mmj posted:

So what's the current rumor as far as this month's new codex goes? Is it a 40k race? If so, which? I really want tyranid updates but orkz deserve it more right now.

*Supposedly*

2nd Wave of WHFB Dark Elves in November.

Expansions for 40k in December. Basically an Apoc Lite expansion (rumored to be adding Super Heavies/Gargantuan MC slot into the standard game) and an expansion for new Fortifications.

Tyranids not in November. Slated for January.

IG after Tyranids. No word on what month exactly.

This is all based off various rumor sites so take it with a lot of salt.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 5, 2013

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get rid of some eldar and IG I had when I was ~15. Prices negotiable, I'm just trying to get some money so I can paint more tau.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581406

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Well I guess the best way to ring in the new year is getting rid of the old Tyranid codex. I know it can still field one or two competitive builds but I really want to see how they bring Tyranids into 6th ed. It seems like they need a major upgrade to ranged combat before they can really be a decent army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

*Supposedly*

2nd Wave of WHFB Dark Elves in November.

Expansions for 40k in December. Basically an Apoc Lite expansion (rumored to be adding Super Heavies/Gargantuan MC slot into the standard game) and an expansion for new Fortifications.

Tyranids definitely not in November. Slated for January.

IG after Tyranids. No word on what month exactly.

This is all based off various rumor sites so take it with a lot of salt.

Well, the 2nd wave of Dark Elves is not supposedly, it's already out: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440005a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

Also, I get almost literally sick to my stomach when I think about how hard they'll nerf veterans. I mean, I can understand it if they do it, but I just paid so much money for my Death Korps engineers, and spent so much time and effort converting them to be vetd, I don't think I can handle it if they nerf them to uselessnes.
I really want to paint them, since I'm on a roll and am finally finishing up my inf. blob, but I don't want to go to all that trouble if I can only use them until Feb/March. Oh the ham-agony! :(

• Locked thread