Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Found in San Francisco of course. I bet the driver is so proud.

Maybe this one should go in (future) Mechanical Failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

some texas redneck posted:

Mobil 1 is dexos 1 certified. :v: No way in hell will Mobil 1 work into any reasonably priced oil change though, and at the moment, it looks like only traditional Mobil 1 is dexos 1 certified (so no long life or high mileage stuff).

5 qt jug + filter is about $30 (before tax) if my car used a common spin-on filter, at Wal-Mart, for me to DIY. I don't know how this worked out, but Wal-Mart carries the OEM filter for my car (for about :10bux: ) - so with tax, I'm sitting around $37. For DIY on an economy car. :smith:

Look around online. I found a case of 12 Wix filters for my car for like $45.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

aventari posted:

I don't really want to start a whole thing but... I will.

I totally respect your knowledge, but 5w30 is not really going to be "bad for the engine" when the manufacturer recommends 5w20. Especially in a hot climate it could be the better choice. If someone told me it would be bad in real likfe it would probably set me off a bit.

However they are so close that in reality you'll never notice a difference either way so arguing about it is pointless.

I may be wrong (it does happen, a lot more than I'd like, probably at least a few times a day) but I could swear I read somewhere that Ford vehicles that spec 5W20 tend to croak if you put 5W30 in them. Could be bullshit, could be right, could be my faulty memory, not sure. I'll have to see if I can remember where I heard it or read it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Doesn't work so well on road trips, but I often find a few cars hauling rear end when I'm on a trip. I just try to avoid being the lead or tail in those groups.
I find it hilarious how when you do a nice pull to 160-170mph after getting some clear road people will be right up behind you by the time you slow back to 80mph.
(Liter bikes, I love you but you're not good for my health)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Toucan Sam posted:

Now try managing a garage that's main job is oil changes. Let's see how many times you can explain their Gm vehicle requires Dexos approved oil, cheapest oil change available is $30 plus tax, and getting the you shot my dog look. I get raged on regularly about that and how much the tires on their lovely car cost because they bought the appearance package with the 17,18,19 inch wheels. Look, you bought the car you should have checked the tire price because that is the most expensive guaranteed wear and tear part. Yell at me about how im ripping you off, storm out and then come back because i'm the cheapest in the area.
God dammit you're giving me PTSD, I work at one of those shops and fuuuuuuuck all that noise.

That's when I can convince the salesmen/manager that yes, this spec sheet does require 0W-20 full synthetic and no, we can't put 5W-20 blend in and call it good enough. One time we ran out of 5W-20 synthetic and I was strongarmed into mixing 0W-20 and 5W-30 because "it averages out so it's fine". :suicide:

"These 18 inch tires are too expensive, just gimme those 16s that are $70 cheaper a tire and put those on. I'm in a hurry!"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mobil 1 is dexos 1 certified. :v: No way in hell will Mobil 1 work into any reasonably priced oil change though, and at the moment, it looks like only traditional Mobil 1 is dexos 1 certified (so no long life or high mileage stuff).

5 qt jug + filter is about $30 (before tax) if my car used a common spin-on filter, at Wal-Mart, for me to DIY. I don't know how this worked out, but Wal-Mart carries the OEM filter for my car (for about :10bux: ) - so with tax, I'm sitting around $37. For DIY on an economy car. :smith:

I can barely buy 4L of the shittiest oil from the supermarket for $30. Cheap lovely Ryco filters that don't seem to have a non return valve any more usually range from $15 - $30. If I do an oil change with something a little better than bottom of the barrel items it comes to the best part of $100. But then Ferremit weighed in a while back about oil prices. Filter prices are because of what's essentially a parts monopoly by Ryco, which are usually poo poo. If I want to do it right I have to spend quite a while watching out for any chains that have the oil I want on special, then go shopping at dealerships or online for a suitable filter.

Then there's the problem of getting rid of old fluids. I have a big stockpile built up again. I think I may be able to get rid of it in the next town, maybe. But no way in hell am I putting all that poo poo inside a vehicle to transport it. That's trailer only.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

"These 18 inch tires are too expensive, just gimme those 16s that are $70 cheaper a tire and put those on. I'm in a hurry!"

I hope someday I'm in line behind that person so I can just laaaaaugh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're on the right side of the planet and can plan your oil changes two days in advance, Amazon is usually the way to go, especially for filters or you need unusual oil.

If you're on the flipside trying to save your hard-earned koaladollars then I dunno

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're on the right side of the planet and can plan your oil changes two days in advance, Amazon is usually the way to go, especially for filters or you need unusual oil.

If you're on the flipside trying to save your hard-earned koaladollars then I dunno

Yeah We're one of the majority countries that Amazon says a big "gently caress you!" to. They don't even like us using their Android store which sucks because I've wanted a few of their daily freebies.

Can't speak for others but the oil I use is pretty normal stuff. Usually just 20W50 but the quality and additives make the difference.
Filters can be a pain. I'm lucky enough to have a Ford dealership nearby so I can use OE filters. The Ryco ones used to be acceptable but they are beyond lovely now. I still need to do a Lada parts order so I might chuck a couple of filters in for that. Apparently the universal response with Ryco filters on them now is "DON'T DO IT!". Unfortunately that's what it has.

I want to see someone get 16" tyres onto 18" rims. It might barely be possible. Maybe. It'd be a hell of a gently caress you to the customer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

Pretty terrible.

It had the obligatory illest and shocker decals on the back mirror as well.

I would drive a wagon donk everywhere.

Everywhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The worst thing about that Roadmaster is that it's not tubbed and bagged

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlackMK4 posted:

I find it hilarious how when you do a nice pull to 160-170mph after getting some clear road people will be right up behind you by the time you slow back to 80mph.
(Liter bikes, I love you but you're not good for my health)

Maybe if you'd stop being a squid they wouldn't be so bad for you?

Edit: Okay that was harsh. But seriously slow down.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 3, 2013

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

This is my favorite thing about owning lovely vehicles. I need to make sure there is oil in the engine. What kind? The kind that hasn't leaked out yet (never ever buy a car or motorcycle from a tech).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bugdrvr posted:

This is my favorite thing about owning lovely vehicles. I need to make sure there is oil in the engine. What kind? The kind that hasn't leaked out yet (never ever buy a car or motorcycle from a tech).

This was my old Saturn. I didn't change the oil for like 3 years just put in a quart of whatever was lying around when it was low.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

8th-snype posted:

This was my old Saturn. I didn't change the oil for like 3 years just put in a quart of whatever was lying around when it was low.

I've been considering this, with the addition of changing the filter when it gets below the dipstick and I can hear it rattle. I mean, rattle more than normal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Done that before, I replaced the filter after 23k miles when I happened to remember while at the parts store :v:

Gained 10psi hot running oil pressure.

The oil was always pretty drat clean over that whole time period because I was dumping at least a few quarts a week into it. It had a horrible rear main seal leak as well as leaks from everywhere else, then the valve cover gasket came out along the back of the head and I thought it was the rear main getting worse and drove it for a while like that, just kept pouring oil in. Not one of my finer moments.

It did ensure that every bolt along the center of the vehicle behind the back of the engine was covered in oil and easy to remove, though. Things like the trans crossmember bolts that have absolutely no business simply spinning out by hand (after being broken loose with a ratchet) instead of instantly breaking in half on a 220k mile rust belt vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

8th-snype posted:

That's my old F-150.

Except instead of "a quart when it was low" was "a quart every morning". I used to buy 60W oil by the case for it. When I moved to DFW, I think I blew through about 7-8 quarts.... over 650 miles.

Rear main seal? What seal? Oh, you mean my rolling EPA Superfund Site?

General_Failure posted:

I can barely buy 4L of the shittiest oil from the supermarket for $30. Cheap lovely Ryco filters that don't seem to have a non return valve any more usually range from $15 - $30.

Then there's the problem of getting rid of old fluids. I have a big stockpile built up again. I think I may be able to get rid of it in the next town, maybe. But no way in hell am I putting all that poo poo inside a vehicle to transport it. That's trailer only.

A 5 qt bottle (~4.73 litres?) of synthetic at Wal Mart.... $25. Though if you bought it by the quart, it'd be at least double. Mobil 1 (and a lot of other oil makers) sell 5 or 5.5 qt bottles; Mobil 1's version is 5 qts, and my engine holds 5 qts.

Oddly enough, even though my car uses a very simple cartridge filter (no can, not even a bypass valve; it's the filter media, a plastic support structure, and an o-ring), that filter is :10bux: or more at most places.

At least where I'm at, the majority of parts stores accept used oil and filters. Some quick lube places do as well. The city I'm in also runs a curbside pickup for "household hazardous chemicals"; they accept everything from old paint to used oil to used coolant, even brake fluid (and chemicals deemed to be in good shape are resold at their reuse center). You have to call the trash department to schedule a pickup, and they usually give you a date 1-4 weeks in the future for it, but they do accept up to 50 lbs or 15 gallons (whichever is lower) per pickup.

Godholio posted:

Look around online. I found a case of 12 Wix filters for my car for like $45.

Rockauto stocks a case of Wix filters for about the same, but at the moment, I'm following the instructions of the GM OIL LIFE MONITOR. I'm sending a sample to Blackstone, and I'm sure they'll probably tell me "uh, you need to change that poo poo a little more often", but given the synthetic + modern engine combo, I don't really see myself doing more than 2, MAYBE 3 oil changes a year.

Kind of hard to justify keeping a case of oil filters around when they'd probably rot and fall apart before I used the entire case.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 3, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Stack of sadness

That poor Audi :qq:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

I can barely buy 4L of the shittiest oil from the supermarket for $30. Cheap lovely Ryco filters that don't seem to have a non return valve any more usually range from $15 - $30. If I do an oil change with something a little better than bottom of the barrel items it comes to the best part of $100. But then Ferremit weighed in a while back about oil prices. Filter prices are because of what's essentially a parts monopoly by Ryco, which are usually poo poo. If I want to do it right I have to spend quite a while watching out for any chains that have the oil I want on special, then go shopping at dealerships or online for a suitable filter.

Castrol 5W-30 Full synthetic is $60 for 5L, oil prices in Australia are loving stupid- Its actually financially viable to replace a rear main seal when its pissing out at Kasteins rate because it will send you broke with the oil bill. 20L of Shell Rimulla X R3 (basically the equivilent of Rotella T3 is $125.

I buy mine by the 205L drum (mostly because between the 3 diesel cars and tractor we go through a stack of it) and even buying in bulk its still $5.50 a litre

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It was financially feasible in my case too ($45 in parts) but I wanted nothing to do with it because it involves dropping the oil pan and getting the rock hard old seal out (two piece seal) and even dropping the pan is a bastard on the 4.0, unless the front axle is removed or tipped forward for the project.

I was short on time and motivation and making good money so I just kept pouring oil in it and pretending the problem didn't exist.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

8th-snype posted:

I think I owned the only Saturn in existence that didn't gobble oil like $5 liquor.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Heh all your oil problems.

Let me tell you about the rotary. :shepicide:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

treizebee posted:

Heh all your oil problems.

Let me tell you about the rotary. :shepicide:

Rotary engines are the original hybrid.

They burn gasoline and oil by design. :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Castrol 5W-30 Full synthetic is $60 for 5L, oil prices in Australia are loving stupid- Its actually financially viable to replace a rear main seal when its pissing out at Kasteins rate because it will send you broke with the oil bill. 20L of Shell Rimulla X R3 (basically the equivilent of Rotella T3 is $125.

I buy mine by the 205L drum (mostly because between the 3 diesel cars and tractor we go through a stack of it) and even buying in bulk its still $5.50 a litre

Pfft, as if you don't have a trade account to get the stuff cheaper, like what I do :smug:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
710 CHAT!!!!

And one awesome, if impractical, thing.

(totally a taxi)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 3, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PCOS Bill posted:

Maybe if you'd stop being a squid they wouldn't be so bad for you?

Edit: Okay that was harsh. But seriously slow down.

No, they are bad for me because eventually I'll flick myself to the moon at a trackday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A new category of safety gear: you just bounce off and roll away.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Times are hard for the Michelin Man.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Godholio posted:

I hope someday I'm in line behind that person so I can just laaaaaugh.

It happens, more than i care to see.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kenny Rogers posted:

And one awesome, if impractical, thing.

(totally a taxi)

Dick Tracy?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

That's my old F-150.

Except instead of "a quart when it was low" was "a quart every morning". I used to buy 60W oil by the case for it. When I moved to DFW, I think I blew through about 7-8 quarts.... over 650 miles.

Rear main seal? What seal? Oh, you mean my rolling EPA Superfund Site?
My dad's work truck at one point was an F-250 that had a 351 with a blown rear main seal. Apparently the exhaust crossover passed under the exact point where the oil dripped out. It looked a lot like this:

I'm not exaggerating, if anything there was more smoke than in that picture.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Kenny Rogers posted:

710 CHAT!!!!

I've done this, with two tires. It's not uncommon (with two tires, not four.) Had full gear on underneath, though. On a bigger motorcycle the problem is the tires rub the paint, so be sure to wrap the contact area with a nice soft towel.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Spotted an interesting repair job on the way back from class.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Doctor Zaius posted:

Spotted an interesting repair job on the way back from class.

The auto version of less is more.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Terrible yet fantastic.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea I cant hate that that much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Terrible yet fantastic. Fabulous :gay:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I tend to give art cars a pass. Generally because they are usually batshit insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I tend to give art cars a pass. Generally because they are usually batshit insane.
Yeah, don't race that guy. It's a Taurus, so he's super easy to beat, but the artcar bits might come flying off if he goes too fast, and that'd definitely make him a Thor loser.