Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I feel kind of bummed we didn't get a Mirror TNG episode. Would mirror Riker just have bitchin' mutron chops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Otisburg posted:

I feel kind of bummed we didn't get a Mirror TNG episode. Would mirror Riker just have bitchin' mutron chops?

Mirror Riker would be bald as hell, and Mirror Picard would have a rad pompadour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

We already saw the writers' solution to that; evil Riker pulls off his sideburns to reveal his secret evil goatee hiding in plain sight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
A mirror TNG movie would've been cool; instead of Nemesis they could've done something where they retread the DS9 mirror universe and have a plucky full-haired Picard lead the Terran resistance in their hopeless fight against the Alliance. They could have a mirror Galaxy Class Enterprise that basically looks like a kitbash of the Defiant with an Excelsior or whatever the best starship was before the fall of the Empire. Desperate and outgunned, Picard must help free Mirror Q from Q-jail in order to put an end to the war once and for all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Otisburg posted:

Too easy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

It always amuses me that with the Federation destroyed, the Borg everywhere and all shaving supplies seemingly rations, Riker's uniform is still perfectly proper.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Writer Cath posted:

It always amuses me that with the Federation destroyed, the Borg everywhere and all shaving supplies seemingly rations, Riker's uniform is still perfectly proper.

We're only seeing the front. The back looks like Dr Rockso's jumpsuit.

But the style had nothing to do with that particular universe.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Otisburg posted:

I think there was a novel that explored the mirror TNG universe. It predated the DS9 episode, so the evil Federation was still around.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, Dark Mirror. One of the three TNG books I read, from the early 90s. It was pretty good, or at least 10 year old me thought so. I especially liked the really evil, mind-invading Mirror Troi, who made a lot of sense as an evil mirror duplicate. (EDIT as much as an evil mirror duplicate can, I suppose)

Also, in the mirror universe, Picard killed his former captain, Jack Crusher, so that he could take Beverly as his captain's woman. Wesley keeps trying to kill him to get revenge, with predictable results.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Vagabundo posted:

Wallabies destroyed or Australia's Ashes chances destroyed?

please stop

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He makes cricket posts, we fall back. He makes more cricket posts, we fall back. No more. The line must be drawn here, this far, no further!

*gets down on knees*

Marc Messier, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good posters or bad. Why we made creepy innuendo about Geordi, or why we were probated for supporting child-rapist mods. All that matters is that two stood against many posts about cricket. That's what's important! Potato chips please you, Messier... so grant me one request. Crosscheck Vagabundo! And if you do not listen, then to Winnipeg with you!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He makes cricket posts, we fall back. He makes more cricket posts, we fall back. No more. The line must be drawn here, this far, no further!

*gets down on knees*

Marc Messier, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good posters or bad. Why we made creepy innuendo about Geordi, or why we were probated for supporting child-rapist mods. All that matters is that two stood against many posts about cricket. That's what's important! Potato chips please you, Messier... so grant me one request. Crosscheck Vagabundo! And if you do not listen, then to Winnipeg with you!

Nurse!Nurse!He's out of bed again!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

As I'm working my way through the Bij that is Voyager, I'm now at Before and After.

Remember, in the Year of Hell future, Harry Kim accomplished something. He married Paris and Kes' daughter. That is a thing that is canon.

:edit: and it ends with a "No time like the present" joke. Seriously Biller, do better.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 4, 2013

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

*gets down on knees*

For a minute I was wondering why I understood that nonsense. Then I realized it was written in Canadian, a language I thought I'd long since forgotten.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I read this thread for the detailed analysis of action figure production errors. Not cricket lingo, you jerk. :mad:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I read this thread for the detailed analysis of action figure production errors. Not cricket lingo, you jerk. :mad:

Not this thread, dammit. We're free!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trickjaw posted:

Nurse!Nurse!He's out of bed again!

I have to get to the bridge

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You know, it might actually have been vaguely interesting as a single post paragraph about it.

BUT TEASER TRAILER GUYS. SPECKLED DATA COCK INCOMING, STAY TUNED!

Now, we will never know the truth behind etc.. :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nutsngum posted:

You know, it might actually have been vaguely interesting as a single post paragraph about it.

BUT TEASER TRAILER GUYS. SPECKLED DATA COCK INCOMING, STAY TUNED!

Now, we will never know the truth behind etc.. :(
Was all that poo poo some kind of clickbait habit of his or whatever?

As for Riker's uniform not being hosed up, he is a command officer and presumably clothes are cheap to replicate, so it is... logical for his togs to be intact. Probably smelled like a gym bag though

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

please stop

Star Trek: Space Cricket Thread 2013/14

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nessus posted:

Was all that poo poo some kind of clickbait habit of his or whatever?

The TV IV > Star Trek: From Jailbait to Clickbait, the Aatrek Story

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Space Cricket

So is this Hoverball or Springball?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Starfleet jumpers are probably made of some kind of highly resilient space fabric. The pinnacle of textile sciences, the Starfleet uniform is stain resistant, odor resistant, wrinkle resistant, doesn't get all catted-up by the weird pale dude's pet cat, and don't catch on fire unlike my gym shirt, jesus christ, I'm never wearing that thing to the bar and having a smoke again :stare:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Worf confirms in the episode of DS9 that I just watched last night (Let He Who Is Without Sin...) that the uniforms are designed to be comfortable in all circumstances and weather, which is funny given how uncomfortable the uniforms were for the TNG cast.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Starfleet jumpers are probably made of some kind of highly resilient space fabric. The pinnacle of textile sciences, the Starfleet uniform is stain resistant, odor resistant, wrinkle resistant, doesn't get all catted-up by the weird pale dude's pet cat, and don't catch on fire unlike my gym shirt, jesus christ, I'm never wearing that thing to the bar and having a smoke again :stare:

Unless you crash land your what ever. Then they lose their ability to stay clean.

And somehow O'Brien tore his pants. (We all know why).

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Don't forget that dying Marine who sent Jake on a dissociative break.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

Worf confirms in the episode of DS9 that I just watched last night (Let He Who Is Without Sin...) that the uniforms are designed to be comfortable in all circumstances and weather, which is funny given how uncomfortable the uniforms were for the TNG cast.

But... but how can that be? Everything's supposed to suck in the future!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sounds like anti-federation clothing commentary to me, Farmer Maquis!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The only possible conclusion is that all replicated clothes are impregnated with potent and addictive opiates, much like in the anime "Pumpkin Scissors." This explains the Federation complaisance with not having a society built on military conquest or economic dominance, a post-modern take upon the "opiate of the masses" if you will.

An opiate... of the asses.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, Dark Mirror. One of the three TNG books I read, from the early 90s. It was pretty good, or at least 10 year old me thought so. I especially liked the really evil, mind-invading Mirror Troi, who made a lot of sense as an evil mirror duplicate. (EDIT as much as an evil mirror duplicate can, I suppose)

Also, in the mirror universe, Picard killed his former captain, Jack Crusher, so that he could take Beverly as his captain's woman. Wesley keeps trying to kill him to get revenge, with predictable results.

It's also about the only mirror universe that tried to come up with a rationale for why the Terran Empire was so violent and conquest-hungry. To summarize briefly, it's a combination of something (never precisely revealed) going much differently in the history of human thought sometime around the first millenium AD and a deep cultural fear of extinction that is expressed as the desire to expand and colonize the universe by any means necessary. It also had a pretty cool idea for why the empire was ultimately screwed that, sadly, rested on some dodgy astrophysics. (Basically, the arm of the galaxy the all the major Trek species dwelt in had separated from the rest of the galaxy, leaving a island of stars surrounded by starless voids that would take years to cross at maximum warp, and the empire's expansion was so ravenous that they were going to run out of space to conquer in short order, and they wouldn't be able to crack transwarp before the empire tore itself apart. Of course, we now know the dark spaces between spiral arms are full of dimmer stars rather than being starless voids. But it's a cool idea, even so.)

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I watched "A Fist Full of Datas" (best episode name) and now I would kill for a series of Datas roaming the wild west. I'd even settle for Data carrying on his twangy attitude for the rest of the series. Worf's smile at the end was also priceless. 8/10 would definitely watch again.

Also, what's up with Ro showing up every other episode at most? And when the Q shows up in True Q to take Amanda Rodgers away, what happened to his new GF he took with him the last time he appeared? I need some answers here.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 4, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

President Kucinich posted:

I watched "A Fist Full of Datas" (best episode name) and now I would kill for a series of Datas roaming the wild west. I'd even settle for Data carrying on his twangy attitude for the rest of the series. Worf's smile at the end was also priceless. 8/10 would definitely watch again.

Also, what's up with Ro showing up every other episode at most? And when the Q shows up in True Q to take Amanda Rodgers away, what happened to his new GF he took with him the last time he appeared? I need some answers here.

For Vash watch Deep Space 9.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Michelle Forbes was smart enough to be choosy in her roles and used TNG to get out of soaps and onto scripted TV drama.

If she went on to do DS9 I don't think she would've had much of a career past 2000.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

1st AD posted:

Michelle Forbes was smart enough to be choosy in her roles and used TNG to get out of soaps and onto scripted TV drama.

If she went on to do DS9 I don't think she would've had much of a career past 2000.

Very wise of her, so it's hard to fault her for that. But she was one of my favourite characters from TNG, so I would've loved to see her character pop up again, particularly in DS9 (although Nana Visitor did a great job in her place).

Seeing Forbes pop up in BSG was an unexpected joy.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine asked me to show her some TNG since she's getting into Trek. Her only exposure to the franchise is Wrath of Khan thru The Final Frontier and Into Darkness, with WoK being her favorite. I'm planning on starting her off with three episodes, but I only have the first 3 seasons right now. So far my choices are Q Who, and The Measure of A Man.

I'm struggling on a third to show. I kind of want a lighter episode like Manhunt because she like the comedic nature of Voyage Home, but there's more classic episodes as well. Any suggestions?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

1st AD posted:

I am pretty sure she went from TNG to Homicide which is a huge career jump

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, she went from TNG to a bit part in Escape from LA.

Then, later, she went to Homicide. Then she went to 24 where he got pushed down some stairs and I think died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

No, she went from TNG to a bit part in Escape from LA.

Then, later, she went to Homicide. Then she went to 24 where he got pushed down some stairs and I think died.

She is hanging out with Behrooz Araz.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish she'd showed up in DS9, like, at all.

Something I've long wished they could have done with DS9, and I'm certain they thought of it but knew the budget wasn't there...I'd have loved to see the interior of the station slowly turning into Federation styling. Smooth gray wall paneling replacing Cardassian design, LCARs panels going in and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sash! posted:

I wish she'd showed up in DS9, like, at all.

Something I've long wished they could have done with DS9, and I'm certain they thought of it but knew the budget wasn't there...I'd have loved to see the interior of the station slowly turning into Federation styling. Smooth gray wall paneling replacing Cardassian design, LCARs panels going in and so on.

I think they alluded to that once, when they mentioned the trouble of fitting triply-redundant Federation equipment inside the existing infrastructure.

• Locked thread