Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hey, a steak thread. Just the place to share my recent find:

I buy non-graded halal strip loin at my local restaurant depot for a long-running lunch special because it's almost always better marbled than even the choice grade stuff and is cheaper than the select. But holy loving poo poo did I strike gold yesterday. This was all had for $4.16/lb. I ended up going back, buying another for the special and keeping this for myself. I gave away most of them to fellow employees but I kept six.

Now I just need to wait for an afternoon with no rain so I can grill them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hooooooooooly poo poo, that goes beyond a "steal". That's practically like them paying you to take that beautiful meat off their hands. Great find, I'm extremely jealous.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Republicans posted:

I buy non-graded halal strip loin at my local restaurant depot for a long-running lunch special because it's almost always better marbled than even the choice grade stuff and is cheaper than the select. But holy loving poo poo did I strike gold yesterday. This was all had for $4.16/lb. I ended up going back, buying another for the special and keeping this for myself. I gave away most of them to fellow employees but I kept six.

wtf? That looks like high prime. I mean, drat, that looks like loving washugyu. God dammmit!!!!! (i'm jelly)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Republicans posted:

Those steaks look horrible, you shouldn't even waste your time on them. Don't worry I'm a nice guy, just send them to me and I'll take them off your hands.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Republicans posted:

You are an amazing amazing employer just giving that gorgeous meat out. If I were that nice I'd probably do a staff lunch with those beauties.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ShadowCatboy posted:

You are an amazing amazing employer just giving that gorgeous meat out. If I were that nice I'd probably do a staff lunch with those beauties.

I was tempted to horde them all for myself but I'd have to freeze most of it and that's something I try to avoid doing with even substandard meat, let alone stuff this good. Besides, it's easy to be generous with easily hundreds of dollars worth of something when you paid a mere fraction for it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jesus Christ that is incredible meat for an insane price.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

In retrospect I wish I used a different plate. It's like taking a picture of a woman spread eagle on your grandma's old afghan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Republicans posted:

In retrospect I wish I used a different plate. It's like taking a picture of a woman spread eagle on your grandma's old afghan.

I honestly had the exact same thought, BEFORE I read your caption.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Guys, I need some help:

A friend of mine has some steaks, but he wants to eat burgers. He's telling me he is going to try to grate the steaks with a box grater. He won't even consider using a food processor. I keep telling him that it isn't going to work and that I think it's insane but he won't listen and I don't know how to stop him. What should I do?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

twoday posted:

Guys, I need some help:

A friend of mine has some steaks, but he wants to eat burgers. He's telling me he is going to try to grate the steaks with a box grater. He won't even consider using a food processor. I keep telling him that it isn't going to work and that I think it's insane but he won't listen and I don't know how to stop him. What should I do?

Sit back and laugh when it fails miserably? Take his steaks away from him and tell him he's lost his steak privileges thanks to his irresponsible use of steak? Google "how to make ground beef from steak" and show him that not even the fetid depths of Yahoo Answers suggests a loving box grater because jesus loving christ a box grater are you kidding me?

Alternatively, queue up a bunch of cooking shows and articles that illustrate the correct method of creating ground meat, i.e. with a meat grinder.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 6, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A meat grinder is ideal, but in a pinch, you can do it with a good sharp knife and some patience.

A box grater is just dumb, though.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

twoday posted:

Guys, I need some help:

Go over to his place and slap him in the face with said steaks before he begins to smack some sense into him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make sure there is photo evidence of it all

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Theoretically if you froze the meat beforehand, you could use a box grater to make a burger. Remember this if you're stuck somewhere with only a box grater and a freezer.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Ok, ok, update:

So we did a trial burger. The box grater was a microplane, and he used the biggest holes. Added some Worcestershire and mustard for flavor. Here's a trick I wasn't expecting: he corrected the fat imbalance by adding :siren: goose fat :siren: and frying it in the runoff from some bacon made a few hours earlier. The texture experiment was alright, it could use some bread crumbs, but I cooked the thing to perfection, and it turned out to be a rich flavor experience. Overall, surprisingly excellent.

Returning to the store now and getting more steaks, will tweak and retry.

(Served with margaritas)

*madman in question is karmaconfetti

twoday fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2013

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.
Haters gonna hate, yo. Also, I don't eat nearly enough burgers to warrant the purchase of a meat grinder. :smug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really get the objection beyond feasibility. It's not like you're ruining the god-given texture of... ground beef.

Definitely makes me want to try it out with the grater blade... thing on my food processor. We may be entering a new era.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How... how the gently caress is that possible? :psyduck:

EDIT: How long did grating all that steak take anyways? Like, an hour?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Awesome thread, I'm so jealous of you American goons. Large cuts of quality beef from Costco is so much more affordable than what I can get in Asia. Everyone just wants to buy wagyu :japan: I just settle for some steak house like BLT, Ruth Chris's, Morton's, Craft Steak, etc...

I tried cooking steaks a few times with my gas grill but it's just not as good as the ones eating out. Do you guys have any tips to turn so-so cuts into something better? Wet aging (but the OP said it was bad idea right... :ohdear:)

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

caberham posted:

Awesome thread, I'm so jealous of you American goons. Large cuts of quality beef from Costco is so much more affordable than what I can get in Asia. Everyone just wants to buy wagyu :japan: I just settle for some steak house like BLT, Ruth Chris's, Morton's, Craft Steak, etc...

I tried cooking steaks a few times with my gas grill but it's just not as good as the ones eating out. Do you guys have any tips to turn so-so cuts into something better? Wet aging (but the OP said it was bad idea right... :ohdear:)

Ridiculous heat, and resting. Nothing else matters - you can do all sorts of crap to a steak, but if your pan isn't hot enough, it's going to suck. If you take it off the heat and immediately cut it, it's going to suck.

If you're gas-grilling, move the grate as low as possible, and turn it all the way up. Be judicious, and pull the steak when it's about a stage below where you'd like it (blue-rare for rare, medium-rare for medium, medium-rare for well medium (don't eat steak well-done)) - carry over will take it the rest of the way. Rest it for 5+ minutes. Eat.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Sometimes you just feel like having a steak.

Yesterday I felt like having some steak.

I messaged the old lady asking her if we had any plans for dinner knowing full well that I was going to go out and buy a steak anyways. She reminded me that we were going to have pasta with some of the sauce she made last sunday. Sweet, spaghetti and steak it is.

I ran out after work to our local (german) meat market to pick up a filet. A bacon wrapped filet. A thick cut house cured bacon wrapped filet.

A house cured thick cut bacon wrapped 3 inch filet!

Seasoned it with a bit of cracked black pepper and kosher salt on each side

I set my oven to 500degF and put my cast iron pan in there and let it sit for awhile. Once the oven was warmed up and the pan was decently hot, I removed it from the oven and put it on one of my stronger burners on high.

Below you can see what the temp of the pan right after I took it out and put it on the burner.

Time to throw down on some meat!

I used a small amount of canola oil on both sides for the sear.

Once I plopped the steak on the pan, I didn't touch, poke, peak or move the steak till I flipped it after about 1-2 minutes.

As you can see the pan got hotter the longer it sat on the burner.

After another minute or two I flipped the steak back over to the original seared side and put the pan in the 500degF oven.

When the internal temp got to about 105 I opened up the oven and flipped it one last time

Once the steak hit 119degF I pulled it from the oven and placed it on a plate and covered with some tin foil.

Due to the massive thickness of this steak, it cooled off pretty quickly so I knew i was dealing with a pretty rare steak.

Yessssssss

This is probably the rarest I've ever made a steak as it was definitely cooler in the center than I'm used to but I loved it anyways.

Oh and the old lady's sauce was pretty good too.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

With my gas grill, I take a large cast-iron pan and put it on the grill to preheat for at least 15-20 minutes. By the time I put the steak on there, it's around 700 degrees. I find the pan works much better than the grates, because even though they're cast-iron also, they're relatively thin and don't retain heat as well as a 12" pan.

Instead of greasing the pan, I just start the steak on the fat side and let it render/crisp up before doing each side.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Did some rib eyes in the cast iron since the weather's cooled a bit. They turned out a bit more done than I wanted, but it's still a nice pink center.

EDIT: Woopsy broke then fixed the link.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 8, 2014

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Yup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sweet Jesus, I forgot about this thread. It's so good.

:911:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Drifter posted:

Sweet Jesus, I forgot about this thread. It's so good.

:911:

Glad I could resurrect it after 2.5 months!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Assuming you can puddle and sear a steak, which really seems completely idiot proof, is there any point in eating an expensive steak at a fancy steak restaurant? The topic of steaks came up at lunch today and my coworkers started talking about [insert expensive steak restaurant] and how their steaks were expensive but worth it. None of my coworkers cook though. I didn't say much but I just kept thinking I could easily go buy a prime grade cut of meat, dry it out in my fridge, and sv it for a fraction of the cost.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Assuming you can puddle and sear a steak, which really seems completely idiot proof, is there any point in eating an expensive steak at a fancy steak restaurant? The topic of steaks came up at lunch today and my coworkers started talking about [insert expensive steak restaurant] and how their steaks were expensive but worth it. None of my coworkers cook though. I didn't say much but I just kept thinking I could easily go buy a prime grade cut of meat, dry it out in my fridge, and sv it for a fraction of the cost.
If it's a really good steak restaurant (like the good NYC steakhouses like Sparks) the char that they can get with their broilers is better than anything a home cook with standard equipment can get. They get extremely hot.

Outside of the absolutely best ones, though, no, probably not.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Quality of meat can play a factor. I can get better meat at work than you can at home, for example. Unless you're going to dry age a whole prime or wagyu striploin at home, then more power to ya.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I had dinner with my mom and didn't feel like using her grill outside so while we got a soup and potato/apple/cranberry thing going I reverse-seared our steaks and they turned out a rather lovely shade of rare with a pretty okay crust.

I found out later that I had only had the stovetop flame up to medium high instead of fuckoff high (She has a weird high tech stove I never really use), so I could have gotten that crust even more crusty and delicious. All things considered the reverse sear is a pretty cool little method, especially when you're trying to finish up other things and don't want to hover. Normally I like to just flip a steak every fifteen or twenty seconds over a cast iron pan for about 3-4 minutes.

When you drop butter into the pan to spoon over the steak, how do you keep it from burning? Or is that not an issue because you're only spooning for 30 seconds at the very end?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think using oil for the first part of the sear works better. You can add butter at the end to spoon over it but it will burn a lot less if you've already added some sort of oil first.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

I think using oil for the first part of the sear works better. You can add butter at the end to spoon over it but it will burn a lot less if you've already added some sort of oil first.

Isn't the temperature still hot as poo poo, wouldn't the oil still burn the milk solids? Or do you WANT them to ~kinda~ burn (toasty) anyway? I guess that's the thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Drifter posted:

Isn't the temperature still hot as poo poo, wouldn't the oil still burn the milk solids? Or do you WANT them to ~kinda~ burn (toasty) anyway? I guess that's the thing.
Generally you start the sear on a piece of beef at ultra-high heat, then turn it down once you're maillarding.

My issue is that using any oil at super-high heat leads to smoking which everyone tells me is bad. If the steak's thick enough it doesn't matter. I like using clarified butter these days... it just seems like the obvious thing to do (and you can buy it in the grocery store as "ghee")

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

Generally you start the sear on a piece of beef at ultra-high heat, then turn it down once you're maillarding.

My issue is that using any oil at super-high heat leads to smoking which everyone tells me is bad. If the steak's thick enough it doesn't matter. I like using clarified butter these days... it just seems like the obvious thing to do (and you can buy it in the grocery store as "ghee")

I actually like to make my own ghee. It's super quick, and the toasty milk bits skimmed out before I bottle the actual ghee part go really nice on bread or rice.

I don't think I've used oil to start out with a steak before, on my cast iron, specifically because of the smoking. If it's hot enough, after ten or twenty seconds, the meat unsticks from the pan anyway. Thanks, though, I'll try to experiment with when I can take the heat from supernova down to medium to do the additional browning.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Funny, I gave ghee a shot just last week. The steaks tasted loving awesome but if it was the ghee or the fact that I splurged on some really nice dry-aged ribeye (or both) I couldn't say.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Funny, I gave ghee a shot just last week. The steaks tasted loving awesome but if it was the ghee or the fact that I splurged on some really nice dry-aged ribeye (or both) I couldn't say.
It was the nice dry-aged rib-eye. Ghee's a plus, but the meat's what matters

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
That's too bad... Ghee isn't $28 per pound. I'm going to have to start dry aging meat myself.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I make ghee, just warm up some butter in a pan until it foams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I make ghee, just warm up some butter in a pan until it foams?

Basically. Making clarified butter is just simmering the butter and removing the foaming stuff (milk bits and evaporating water) as it shows up.

Ghee is basically the same thing, but instead of removing the milk/foamy bits, you're going to let them stay in and toast. Eventually the foaming will stop (that's the water evaporating) and the milk bits will sink to the bottom/turn any shade of golden brown you want them to be, and then you just strain out those bits. That strained liquid is ghee. It's good slightly salted. And you can also put in some bay leaves or something while it's cooking.

http://www.veggiebelly.com/2012/01/how-to-make-ghee.html that's the first recipe that pulled up from google for me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 8, 2014

• Locked thread