Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Aniki posted:

I know that there are some officials that post here. I'd like to know what contact to the head of the goalie is considered a penalty? I've had situations where I've taken stick and body contact to the head and while I get that contact in some situations like bending over to cover the puck may be deemed incidental, I'd like to know what contact you would deem worthy of a penalty? I know that there is an emphasis this year to penalize players for hits to the head, but from what I've noticed so far, I haven't seen this protection being extended to goalies.

I'm an official for an adult safe hockey league and it varies wildly depending on situation and game flow.

If its a guy who I can tell has been looking for something all night I tend to have very little patience and anything even borderline to accidental I'll call as something.

In our league head contact (face washing, pushing the face, or punching his head) is 2 and 10 and body checking is 5 and a game so it has to be pretty deliberate, or as I said before coming from somebody I know is a poo poo disturber, to be called as such. If a goalie is going down and sprawling out and gets a stick to the mask in the chaos that isn't a penalty. If a guy skates by the net and gives you a shot, especially to the head, then that's a penalty every time I see it.

In all honesty though the goalie is one of the last players I look at on the ice unless the puck is right there. We use a 2 man system so my eye has to be on the puck nearly all the time because I'm also the linesman. So between that and making sure the rest of the players are doing things properly I rarely look at the goalie since typically they are all alone. Also one thing I get complaints about every single game, including all 3 I did tonight, is goalie interference or crease violations but what the goalie can't see is his own defence men pushing him there. That isn't a penalty and I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt in most cases when he is pushed in.

I hope that answers your question in one way or another.

CMvan46 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sellouts posted:

Game before ours was a forfeit last night. Yellow team has a diving penalty called against them (lol). Team is upset, a player gets an additional 2 minutes for mouthing off. Unsure if it was the same player, but kinda irrelevant. Puck is iced by power play team. Yellow goalie stops the puck but won't pass it to the official and leaves it behind the net. As the official skates back (he's fat) the yellow goalie says "Looks like you could use the extra skating". Goalie thrown out, entire yellow team leaves the ice. Forfeit.

Absolutely incredible. I felt bad for the other team who didn't get to play because of it.

Goalie got 3 game suspension (rest of regular season) and will likely cause his team to miss playoffs. I think another player got something similar.

Apparently it's for using a slur against the official which good, I'm glad to hear they called that. I guess another guy cornered the official and wouldn't let him leave the ice by blocking the door?

The whole situation is really stupid and pathetic. That official isn't the best but drat, way to ruin it for the rest of your team and the team you were playing against.

I kind of wish that the league did a bond system and X number of penalties or a forfeit caused them to take money from the team bond. I would hope it would further encourage everyone to knock this poo poo out.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

Goalie got 3 game suspension (rest of regular season) and will likely cause his team to miss playoffs. I think another player got something similar.

Apparently it's for using a slur against the official which good, I'm glad to hear they called that. I guess another guy cornered the official and wouldn't let him leave the ice by blocking the door?

The whole situation is really stupid and pathetic. That official isn't the best but drat, way to ruin it for the rest of your team and the team you were playing against.

I kind of wish that the league did a bond system and X number of penalties or a forfeit caused them to take money from the team bond. I would hope it would further encourage everyone to knock this poo poo out.
I'm with you on everything else, but a 3 game suspension for calling somebody fat seems excessive.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We had a little bit of a short bench last night, but at least we were able to juggle things to have nearly 3 lines of forwards. Still, tired as hell. I was sort of happy that for once, it was my legs that gave out and not my breath.

I'm rear end at trying to control/track passes from behind as I'm trying to break out of the zone. Hopefully we work on that in practice. Any good drills for that?

Other than that, we played a team that got moved down a division, and they won their first game this year 11-1. We felt pretty good only losing 6-2. Would have been even better if we had more guys show up.

Second to last shift, somehow got a huge cut on one of my hockey socks. These things have taken a lot of abuse and I hate trying to stitch this yarny material back together.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Doctor Butts posted:

We had a little bit of a short bench last night, but at least we were able to juggle things to have nearly 3 lines of forwards. Still, tired as hell. I was sort of happy that for once, it was my legs that gave out and not my breath.

When I hear "short bench" I think 7-8 players total, not 7-8 forwards. drat.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

By short bench he means Topo came out and between him and her the avg height was 5'6". 3 lines of forwards is the worst.

Butts try turning your body towards the incoming pass instead of just sprinting forward.

coldwind posted:

I'm with you on everything else, but a 3 game suspension for calling somebody fat seems excessive.

He also apparently called him a fag. That's the slur I was talking about.

It's also possible that the same player was the one blocking the exit, I can't tell from the scoresheet.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 4, 2013

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Pinky Artichoke posted:

When I hear "short bench" I think 7-8 players total, not 7-8 forwards. drat.

Yeah, I would be pretty mad if a short bench for my team was still three lines of forwards. I hate it when I have to sit multiple shifts off in a row.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm rear end at trying to control/track passes from behind as I'm trying to break out of the zone. Hopefully we work on that in practice. Any good drills for that?

Passes from directly-ish behind are always going to be hard to catch so you might want to focus on positioning yourself in a way that faces the puck more.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The ideal way to be is with your heels on the boards to catch the breakout pass. Somewhere between the hashmarks and the blue-line. In front of the opposing dman.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also not turning to get the puck and skating forwards while looking back is a great way to get your clock cleaned, at least that's what I am told because I can't remember when it has happened to me.

If you can't do that it'll take some touch from the passer to chip it up the boards in front of you or keep your stick on the ice in front of you for them to have a target to pass to.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

42 shots, 1 goal in a 3-1 loss. Brutal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

The ideal way to be is with your heels on the boards to catch the breakout pass. Somewhere between the hashmarks and the blue-line. In front of the opposing dman.

We actually did a drill on this a few weeks ago.. demonstrated a "trick" where you put the heel of your forward skate up against the boards and angle the blade just a few degrees off perpendicular. Your trailing heel is far enough from the dasher that the puck won't hit it. Then when the puck comes, it deflects off your angled skate and either goes straight to your stick, or is easy to scoop up by the center who's hopefully already picked up a bunch of speed.

I've found it pretty hard to pull off in a game situation so far but it's pretty awesome when it works.

Typically I've found that I don't have time to post up like that.. I'm usually moving when the puck comes. So I just keep my stick on the ice ready to catch a pass just in case it comes my way.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

That's what I usually try to do but their positioning made this impossible.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Also not turning to get the puck and skating forwards while looking back is a great way to get your clock cleaned, at least that's what I am told because I can't remember when it has happened to me.

Thats because of the concussion.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

That's what I usually try to do but their positioning made this impossible.

How so?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They a D on the boards near the blue line and a forward about 6 feet away from boards and blue line. Our D would have passed to me and I would have two guys on me and not much room to make a pass.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

D C posted:

Thats because of the concussion.

Sellouts doesn't use a cage :confused:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

They a D on the boards near the blue line and a forward about 6 feet away from boards and blue line. Our D would have passed to me and I would have two guys on me and not much room to make a pass.

In that case, your D shouldn't be passing to you. You are still in the right position. They should wing it around or go d-to-d to try the other wing, or try and chip it off the glass into the neutral zone

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

CMvan46 posted:

I'm an official for an adult safe hockey league and it varies wildly depending on situation and game flow.

If its a guy who I can tell has been looking for something all night I tend to have very little patience and anything even borderline to accidental I'll call as something.

In our league head contact (face washing, pushing the face, or punching his head) is 2 and 10 and body checking is 5 and a game so it has to be pretty deliberate, or as I said before coming from somebody I know is a poo poo disturber, to be called as such. If a goalie is going down and sprawling out and gets a stick to the mask in the chaos that isn't a penalty. If a guy skates by the net and gives you a shot, especially to the head, then that's a penalty every time I see it.

In all honesty though the goalie is one of the last players I look at on the ice unless the puck is right there. We use a 2 man system so my eye has to be on the puck nearly all the time because I'm also the linesman. So between that and making sure the rest of the players are doing things properly I rarely look at the goalie since typically they are all alone. Also one thing I get complaints about every single game, including all 3 I did tonight, is goalie interference or crease violations but what the goalie can't see is his own defence men pushing him there. That isn't a penalty and I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt in most cases when he is pushed in.

I hope that answers your question in one way or another.

Thanks for your response. That sort of confirms what I feared. I wouldn't expect a call on contact to the head when I'm sprawled out, unless it was deemed excessive (e.g. hacking at the back of the goalie's head after the puck is covered, it's not going to dislodge the puck and is just a dangerous play). I've also dealt with the issue of having teammates push guys into me, which is a really dangerous play and honestly, I wouldn't mind if my teammate would be penalized in those situations. What I've noticed a lot are guys doing excessive follow-throughs on shots near the net and guys trying to sneak in stick or elbow contact if they are in close to the crease. There have been some other instances too, but I'd need to think back to those specific situations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

In that case, your D shouldn't be passing to you. You are still in the right position. They should wing it around or go d-to-d to try the other wing, or try and chip it off the glass into the neutral zone

Yea for some reason I was still the more open guy, believe it or not.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

Sellouts doesn't use a cage :confused:

I do sometimes tbh but the concussions are from bantams and midgets growing up. Those suicide passes killed me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea for some reason I was still the more open guy, believe it or not.

Then you give it to the supposedly curling centerman or just get it out of the zone.

We have a new guy on our team this year, real nice guy, okay skater, but hes maybe the weakest guy on the puck maybe Ive ever seen. Cant clear the zone to save his life, or forcheck, or do anything basically with the puck, other teams get so much offensive pressure when he's out there.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The big leap you have to make from a positional perspective is that, even if other guys are out of position, you should still be in $whatever_proper_position because it's usually still the best place to be. Newer players get in trouble when they try too hard to "cover" for their teammates' crappy positioning. All that does is create a cycle of out-of-position play. Often that's OK, because a similarly skilled opponent will probably be out of position too. But when you play better teams, they'll make you pay for it. When your teammates get out of position, it might inform where you go within the framework of your position. For example, maybe you shade towards the slot more when your defenseman gets beat off the boards. But that shouldn't change your primary responsibilities, which part of the ice you're supposed to protect, and how you're supposed to support the breakout.

So, let's assume you're the winger covering the half-boards (strong side) on the breakout. You still want to get on the boards even if you feel like your teammates are out of position, for three reasons: First, you're in the best position to make a break-out pass. Second, even if your center isn't curling like they're supposed to be, you can dish the puck up and out off the boards. Lastly, your presence on the half boards means that forecheckers have to respect you as an outlet. That creates time and space for the rest of your team — even if they're out of position.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
And it gives an option for the defensemen, he will expect you to be there and if you arent then thats another element on the decision he has to make to get rid of the puck.

If you arent there it raises the chances of a dangerous 'up the middle' pass or a long stretch pass to the far side, or even the defensemen trying to skate the puck himself.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

D C posted:

or even the defensemen trying to skate the puck himself.

I do this far too much, because maybe 4 people on my team know how to be positioned properly. 3 of us are on defense...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Hockles posted:

I do this far too much, because maybe 4 people on my team know how to be positioned properly. 3 of us are on defense...

Yeah welcome to my life.

Either skate the puck or try and thread the needle to one of our forwards hanging out around the redline. Leads to a lot of passes being picked off because I dont have the legs to rag the puck up the ice every shift.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

xzzy posted:

We actually did a drill on this a few weeks ago.. demonstrated a "trick" where you put the heel of your forward skate up against the boards and angle the blade just a few degrees off perpendicular. Your trailing heel is far enough from the dasher that the puck won't hit it. Then when the puck comes, it deflects off your angled skate and either goes straight to your stick, or is easy to scoop up by the center who's hopefully already picked up a bunch of speed.

I've found it pretty hard to pull off in a game situation so far but it's pretty awesome when it works.

Typically I've found that I don't have time to post up like that.. I'm usually moving when the puck comes. So I just keep my stick on the ice ready to catch a pass just in case it comes my way.

This is the proper way to do it. It takes a lot of practice to get the angle right because you really don't want it shooting into the middle of the ice because often in game scenario that is a prime scoring chance for the other team.

In games it just takes some anticipation to know when it's coming. It is the dman's responsibility to whenever possible make a tape to tape pass to you to prevent any of this.

You don't want to be moving vertically up the boards while looking behind you because that's every defencemen's wet dream to see.

Refereed 6 games over the weekend. Fairly eventful last game last night, had to make a penalty shot call, call a goal where the goalie actually made the save behind the goal line and had to call a gross for homophobic slur all in a 6-5 overtime A game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you do if you're the weak side winger, hustle to the boards to be ready for a pass, and then the play gets broken up on the other side? Obviously it's part of the job to bust rear end back to the high slot so you can cover your point, but my curiosity is how dutiful everyone is with this back and forth movement. Is it mandatory to go to the boards no matter what, or do you read the play a bit and if you decide there's no way the puck is coming your way, transition a little lazy?

Basically when I dutifully head to the boards I feel like I'm horribly out of position if the breakout gets gummed up (which happens a lot at my level).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

What do you do if you're the weak side winger, hustle to the boards to be ready for a pass, and then the play gets broken up on the other side? Obviously it's part of the job to bust rear end back to the high slot so you can cover your point, but my curiosity is how dutiful everyone is with this back and forth movement. Is it mandatory to go to the boards no matter what, or do you read the play a bit and if you decide there's no way the puck is coming your way, transition a little lazy?

Basically when I dutifully head to the boards I feel like I'm horribly out of position if the breakout gets gummed up (which happens a lot at my level).

If you're on the weak side and the puck is headed up the boards on the strong side you should be supporting in the center of the ice, not on the boards yourself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe I explained that bad then.. puck is behind the net or at least below the goal line. Both wingers should be setting up as an option for a breakout pass, right? That's what I've been told to do to date.

I guess I should have said "the guy who ends up being the weak side winger" but may not actually be that yet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I mean, there is strong side and weak side defensively too. I've never played on a coached team so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but if you are weak side defensively I don't think you need to immediately staple your butt to the boards if your D gains possession in the opposite corner. Probably at least float that way but it's a long trip for the puck, so you have some time to get there if he sends it around.

Like this

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Thought I'd poke my head in to say thanks to Bewbies for the OP. I'm just getting into hockey and I'm going to learn how to skate properly (only been on ice a couple times) with the hopes that I can play soon. I went to the Hockey Monkey in Irvine and tried on skates till I settled on these:

Got them for 199.98 off 329 originally. I'm assuming they're last years model but I'm pretty happy with them. Buying skates without ever wearing something that fit properly is like shooting in the dark but these seemed to give a pretty uniform pressure along the sides of my ankles without any pain.

Pretty sure I'm going to look pretty lame being 28 and just now learning, oh well.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nitramster posted:

Thought I'd poke my head in to say thanks to Bewbies for the OP. I'm just getting into hockey and I'm going to learn how to skate properly (only been on ice a couple times) with the hopes that I can play soon. I went to the Hockey Monkey in Irvine and tried on skates till I settled on these:

Got them for 199.98 off 329 originally. I'm assuming they're last years model but I'm pretty happy with them. Buying skates without ever wearing something that fit properly is like shooting in the dark but these seemed to give a pretty uniform pressure along the sides of my ankles without any pain.

Pretty sure I'm going to look pretty lame being 28 and just now learning, oh well.

I started when I was 27 and I run into tons of 30+ beginners. Don't worry about how you look or how much better than you all those 10 year-olds are, just have fun.

And I have the same skates, like them a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitramster posted:

Better than 35 and just now learning.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Getting old learning new things crew up in here!

Question: All I have are the skates, I don't really know what to wear to practice at the rink. Any other time I've skated was just at birthday parties over 8 years ago so I was just in jeans/street clothes. Is that considered scrubby or anything? What would you guys recommend?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nitramster posted:

Question: All I have are the skates, I don't really know what to wear to practice at the rink. Any other time I've skated was just at birthday parties over 8 years ago so I was just in jeans/street clothes. Is that considered scrubby or anything? What would you guys recommend?

If it's just open skate wear whatever, maybe some cheapo elbow pads because banging your elbow on the ice suuuucks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are you talking stick-and-puck or just public skate?

If you're at S&P, usually you can just get away with sweatpants + shin guards + a helmet + gloves. If you're at public skate, then I'd recommend just rockin' yer skates and knee pads depending on your level o'comfort.

Also, welcome to the hockey! :hfive:

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

Nitramster posted:

This might depend on the rink. And like one of the posters above said, what you are doing. Open skate you can wear anything but where I did a stick & puck it was required to wear gloves and a helmet. So I'd suggest checking the website.

If you end up doing a hockey specific learn to play class or whatever you will need the rest of the gear (except for the shoulder pads most likely)

e: also, welcome to hockey! and at 28 you will likely be one of the younger guys at the adult clinics and such

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm just talking public skate. Maybe I'll go down to sports chalet today and pick up some knee/elbow guards. Thanks for the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nitramster posted:

If you're new, just wear full gear to stick time/stick and puck/whatever you call it. If it's public skate, I just wear regular clothes. Shins and elbows if you're working on stopping or something.