Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The silver version doesn't do anything to me (lets face it Nikon doesn't have a lot of good looking panda bodies). Somebody photoshoped a F3 red line on the black version and it look a hell lot better.

I predict the kit price with be $3000 (2800+200 lens). But if Nikon sell it at 2000 they can make me come back to F mount.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Id take this camera over abortion sony is releasing. At least you know the lens lineup aint poo poo. IF this is 3k in price, nbd because its basically a smaller better looking D4 imo.

Buying one. Haters, keep hatin.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Photoshopped picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I guess they're trying to go for the old school FE look, but my black and beat up FE looks way cooler than this camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait, does Nikon has more in production FF bodies than APSC bodies now?

FF: D4 D3X D800 D800E D610 Df
APSC: D7100 D300s D5300 D90 D3200

:stare:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1st AD posted:

I guess they're trying to go for the old school FE look, but my black and beat up FE looks way cooler than this camera.

The real problem is that it's even smaller than consumer-sized bodies yet has just as many controls. Yeah, it's great that they're finally getting DSLRs back down to a reasonable size, they finally figured out that people do want manual controls on the top deck, but there's like fifteen loving buttons/controls crammed onto that back panel.

I'd really like to see it with the manual-style topdeck, with maybe the LCD and two or three buttons, with a primarily-touchscreen interface. Or just no LCD and no buttons and you have to go back home to see what you've got.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

whatever7 posted:

Wait, does Nikon has more in production FF bodies than APSC bodies now?

FF: D4 D3X D800 D800E D610 Df
APSC: D7100 D300s D5300 D90 D3200

:stare:

It's crazy that the D90 is still being sold. I assume they stopped producing it a while ago and are still selling the overstock. Wasn't it the best selling Nikon DSLR or all time?

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
$2,746 for the body only appeared on Amazon earlier, but it's been taken down since.

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/NikonRumors

It's light, looks retro, has external controls... but that seems like a lot of money for what it isn't. Nikon describes it as designed specifically for taking photos, but it's not like DSLRs aren't? :raise:

Outside of touching on some memories of film days, I can't see why I would spend this kind of money on it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Having watched the video ads it appears the target market is handsome unshaven guys with trust funds who take month long photo safaris. I'm surprised it's not $4k. I was faintly holding out hope for it to be under $2k but oh well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno man if I had a trust fund to blow I wouldn't be messing with anything less than a medium format body to separate myself from the plebes

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

1st AD posted:

I dunno man if I had a trust fund to blow I wouldn't be messing with anything less than a medium format body to separate myself from the plebes

Point but that dude seemed too well dressed to be a broke dude who takes long photo safaris. Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis and has sold off some investments.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Photoshopped picture

They really hosed up not having the red details. That looks sexy as gently caress.

e: People who have money and fond memories of old Nikon.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 4, 2013

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

Dren posted:

Point but that dude seemed too well dressed to be a broke dude who takes long photo safaris. Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis and has sold off some investments.

This picture tells me that they are marketing this to people with money to burn who care more about style than value/function. Maybe baby boomers who bought F bodies in college and their 30's.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

That photo is pure fedoracore.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Jimmy Thief posted:

This picture tells me that they are marketing this to people with money to burn who care more about style than value/function. Maybe baby boomers who bought F bodies in college and their 30's.

A camera is only as good as the marketing behind it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm shocked they didn't manage to toss in a sextant and a map of pre-Weimar Germany into that photo

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

I'm shocked they didn't manage to toss in a sextant and a map of pre-Weimar Germany into that photo

Check your motherfucking privilege please.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Phase One should release a camera styled like a 4x5 view camera.

Pure Photography

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mightaswell posted:

Pure Photography

Arca-Swiss 6x9 + back adapter + digital back + lens - only $37923 :unsmigghh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have to confess I had the exact same thought only it was a GX680. If you're going to do this, do it in style.

The problem with both ideas is that there aren't any full frame 6x8 or 6x9 backs. :smith:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have to confess I had the exact same thought only it was a GX680. If you're going to do this, do it in style.

The problem with both ideas is that there aren't any full frame 6x8 or 6x9 backs. :smith:

I am sure NASA and NSA have those. And Stanley Kubrick.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

404notfound posted:

If it's the same as the D7000, then the green dot marks one of the two buttons you can hold down to restore the camera's default settings.

It is, you can see the other one on the flash/playback-zoom button on the back view.

The big dials for shutter speed and ISO are so ridiculous, I love it. :v How do you set the aperture, though? Use an old/high-end lens, or is that what the knob on the front face does?

I agree, it kinda falls flat, but it's the thought that counts. They should do a mirrorless styled like a rangefinder. Maybe even a more modern retro DSLR that looks like the F5.

Oh, wait, they already did that last one.

I'd like to see a full-size digital twin-lens reflex though. Have the top lens be mostly fake over a tiny lens and sensor just to run an electronic viewfinder and shoot video, and the bottom lens be real with a full 6x6 sensor, stuff all the electronics in the mirror box.

Mightaswell posted:

Pure Photography
Digital Graflex. 4x5 DSLR. :getin: Though I guess that exists already, since the Graflex originated the standard mount that the digital backs for view cameras use.

Edit: adapter for MF digital backs for the old 2x3" Speed Graphic would be the cutest.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

The big dials for shutter speed and ISO are so ridiculous, I love it. :v How do you set the aperture, though? Use an old/high-end lens, or is that what the knob on the front face does?

The camera has the standard Nikon controls on the back including a command dial which I assume will be the aperture control since shutter speed already has it's own retro-style dial on top.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: adapter for MF digital backs for the old 2x3" Speed Graphic would be the cutest.

4x5 Graflex, but... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149263-REG/Linhof_001693_Hasselblad_Digital_Back_Adapter.html

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Delivery McGee posted:

Probably the thumb wheel on the back. The shutter speed dial seems kinda lovely, actually. I pretty much always change shutter speed with my face pressed to the viewfinder to dial in exposure. I imagine it would be a pain in the rear end to do that with the huge knob on top. I gotta guess that the blue "1/3 stop" setting switches the control to the thumb wheel. The ISO and exposure comp dials are cool tho.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The only thing I don't like about those dials is that they look so clunky.

Here's what the dials look like on the FE:

Much nicer looking.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

1st AD posted:

The only thing I don't like about those dials is that they look so clunky.

Here's what the dials look like on the FE:

Much nicer looking.

Eh, doesn't look that much different to me really. There's a little bit more stuff but its a modern DSLR. The layout is basically the same.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I pretty much always change shutter speed with my face pressed to the viewfinder to dial in exposure. I imagine it would be a pain in the rear end to do that with the huge knob on top.
That was the best thing abut my Olympus, shutter speed was a ring around the lensmount so you could do everything without taking your hands off it. I'm surprised that didn't catch on, Nikon film bodies always seemed super-clunky because of that. (Edit: another thing Olympus got right: no leatherette on the prism housing. :v )

I'm also surprised the Nikon style lasted as long as it did. The F5 has the same controls as the D1 because it's all-electronic, but they could've done that at least for the shutter speed with a fairly simple mechanical linkage. It would even be easy to show the setting -- have the thumbwheel geared to the shaft turned by the traditional knob, with numbers printed on the final gear and a window in the body to show the selection.

1st AD posted:

The camera has the standard Nikon controls on the back including a command dial which I assume will be the aperture control since shutter speed already has it's own retro-style dial on top.

Right, I didn't notice the thumbwheel at first. So what is the knob on the front? Self-timer?

Anybody else run their dials reversed, so shutter is on the front and aperture on the back? Back when the newspaper had three D1s, I shared with a guy who was a lifelong Canon user, so he had his flipped so they'd match his personal rig. When we upgraded and I got one of the previous-gen cameras to take home, it was his old one, because he was the only one that didn't beat the poo poo out of it. I haven't reversed them on my D7000 yet, but I'm considering it.

Edit: Kinda weird that that guy changed the dials, because he was the only one that could fix it when we pranked each other by changing the menu language of a camera left unattended to Japanese -- he could change it back without even looking. Or maybe he just read the manual the first time it happened to him.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

it's a nikon fe crossed with a pentax k-01.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I like the setting on the shutter dial that isn't auto mode but simply "ignore this dial let me use the command wheel" (1/3 step). Also a mildly redundant PASM dial.

Also enjoying the dedicated BKT, i, info, and QUAL buttons. Hmm, HDMI out yet no video (really?)

Ok it's not perfect. Ok it's sorta far from perfect. But it's a nice change from the norm. I was really hoping there would be something special in the viewfinder for manual lenses, but turns out that's not true either (standard d800 focusing screen).

At 2800 it's not for me. Wish it was less :(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
That's not exactly a unreserved endorsement over at dpreview. Looking more like it's marketing-style over substance.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It can't take a split screen. It's a major design flaw. I now think this body is a vanity project.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

whatever7 posted:

It can't take a split screen. It's a major design flaw. I now think this body is a vanity project.

Wait, really? That's insane. I thought the whole point of this thing was to be a more hybrid manual style camera. Without a split screen it's a dog, and at the price ranges being rumored it's an expensive dog.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm pretty sure the point is to look snazzy in still life photos with an antique watch and a map.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

whatever7 posted:

No removable focusing screen but a flip-up AI tab, that we haven't seen since what the F4? :psyduck:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Startyde posted:

No removable focusing screen but a flip-up AI tab, that we haven't seen since what the F4? :psyduck:

Yeah, I find this the most confusing. "Here's a camera that'll take pre-Ai lenses but good loving luck focusing them".

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Also, apparently you need to push the shutter selector lock every time you turn the dial, like a Canon 60D.

Christ what a mess.

At the very least, it's the D4 sensor in a tight little package, which isn't all bad. Needs to be sub-2000 though.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

Also, apparently you need to push the shutter selector lock every time you turn the dial, like a Canon 60D.

Christ what a mess.

At the very least, it's the D4 sensor in a tight little package, which isn't all bad. Needs to be sub-2000 though.

Shu tup. clearly the D4 sensor is poo poo because its only 16mp vs the D600 and D800 being clearly better. /internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

Mightaswell posted:

Christ what a mess.

Based on the DP First Impressions Review it sounds like the external controls are pretty tedious because of the locks on the dials. I love how I can quickly change the shutter speed on my FE. And having a lock on the ISO on the old manual cameras makes sense because of usually only changing it between rolls of film. But to put a lock on the ISO control of a digital camera? :psyduck:

Since some controls can be changed from the digital menu, I bet a lot of people will end up doing that in a hurry. Kinda defeats the purpose of a cool externally controlled camera, but I guess the shooter will still look distinguished.