Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

tsob posted:

It's weird to think that we might be only a few arcs (or mega-arcs) away from the end of the manga. Doflamingo/Dressrosa is currently in progress and seems set to lead in to Kaidou/Wano. At the end of which Luffy will be a Yonkou, presumably with a large fleet of allies. And which really kind of leaves one with the impression the following arc would be Blackbeard, either taking place on or ending with Raftel and then a (disputed) final arc at Mariajois against Akainu and possibly other Marine heads like Kong, the Gorosei etc. We might really only have 4 arcs left. Granted it'll still probably take near a decade, but it's still odd to think about considering how long most of us have probably been reading this.

1 mega-arc per yonkou. Shanks being the final one who Luffy allies with to defeat Blackbeard (who is most likely the major villain of the series). Seems the whole Gorosei thing has been completely abandoned. Maybe it will come back, but I can't really imagine how it will have much meaningful tie-in (unless they are somehow tied to a yonkou).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All the void century talk makes it seem like the World Government will be the final arc. After all, they're the ones most against Luffy's Pirate King dreams of freedom.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's also Madame Shirley's prophecy regarding Luffy and the fate of Fishman Island, along with the Arc, the revolutionaries, the summit of nobels (whatever it's called) and probably other stuff I'm forgetting that points to there being a post-Raftel arc where Luffy as Pirate King does what Roger couldn't and acts on the information contained on the Rio Poneglyph directly - instead of giving up his life to inspire others in death.

I honestly can't see how someone can remain convinced it'll end at Raftel personally.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Any plot points that have to be dropped for whatever reason will probably be made into Strong World-ish movies. Shiki was going to be part of the manga originally after all.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Luffy's blatant disregard for Newton's 3rd Law has me less and and less impressed by his mid-air moves. Both against Enel and now Cesaer, I find his moves too ridiculous to find cool anymore. Also the names are getting pretty terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tsob posted:

There's also Madame Shirley's prophecy regarding Luffy and the fate of Fishman Island, along with the Arc, the revolutionaries, the summit of nobels (whatever it's called) and probably other stuff I'm forgetting that points to there being a post-Raftel arc where Luffy as Pirate King does what Roger couldn't and acts on the information contained on the Rio Poneglyph directly - instead of giving up his life to inspire others in death.

I honestly can't see how someone can remain convinced it'll end at Raftel personally.

I hope so; I want to see the series get into a worldwide open rebellion against the World Government. Enies Lobby was the high point of the series for me, at least until the Whitebeard War and maybe even then. More of that would be spectacular.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

Luffy's blatant disregard for Newton's 3rd Law has me less and and less impressed by his mid-air moves. Both against Enel and now Cesaer, I find his moves too ridiculous to find cool anymore. Also the names are getting pretty terrible.

It wasn't like that in the manga. Luffy just double fist-palms Caesar, and that's it.

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/692/5

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="420765752"]
It wasn't like that in the manga. Luffy just double fist-palms Caesar, and that's it.

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/692/5

I will never understand why they feel the need to draw out these scenes and make it feel like Luffy is having a tough time against a guy like Caesar. He's not, that's the whole bloody point, characters like him are used to show being clever and using tricks to win is a way to take down strong guys like Luffy, rather than having to be strong outright.

One of the worst offenders was Luffy vs Hody Jones. Way to make it feel like those two years were completely worthless guys.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Asuron posted:

I will never understand why they feel the need to draw out these scenes and make it feel like Goku is having a tough time against a guy like Freeza.

It's Toei, padding it the gently caress out to save money and as a result missing the entire point of the fight is like, a tradition for them at this point. :v:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It is a common motif in anime (and it seems Japanese cinema as a whole from what little I've seen) for characters to use only just enough power to overcome their opponent and no more. The fair fight mentality. Sure Goku/luffy could go balls to the wall right off the bat, but that would not be honorable or sporting (not to mention being as gently caress to watch). Goku is a perfect example. Imagine if he went SS3/4/5 (depending on series/chronology) and obliterated every enemy he fought. It would be just stupid. Same with luffy. He could G3 falcon punch everyone, but that would be lame Thus we see this incremental power stepping as both parties one-up each other until one party is the victor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or you could construct your fight choreography in a way that's actually interesting and dynamic (and where both sides are desperate to win at all costs instead of some honorable feeling-out-the-opponent nonsense) instead of being based on super attacks and power levels -- like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I don't watch One Piece for the fights. At least, not for the punching; the looks of anger or indignation or surprise right before someone gets punched, maybe.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Crazyeyes posted:

It is a common motif in anime (and it seems Japanese cinema as a whole from what little I've seen) for characters to use only just enough power to overcome their opponent and no more. The fair fight mentality. Sure Goku/luffy could go balls to the wall right off the bat, but that would not be honorable or sporting (not to mention being as gently caress to watch). Goku is a perfect example. Imagine if he went SS3/4/5 (depending on series/chronology) and obliterated every enemy he fought. It would be just stupid. Same with luffy. He could G3 falcon punch everyone, but that would be lame Thus we see this incremental power stepping as both parties one-up each other until one party is the victor.

That's fine, and One Piece does occasionally have someone struggle and struggle, only to bust out some super move and grasp victory. But that's explicitly not what these fights were about, and changing that alters their entire place in the story. Luffy is supposed to utterly destroy Ceasar because just being a logia just isn't enough to cut it in the new world and Luffy has trained for two years and he is beyond that poo poo. It's exactly the same story beat as Zoro just loving punking hody with zero effort and completely destroying Monet's brain because she isn't even a threat to him. These guys would have been a nightmare to fight back before Shabody but now they are a stumbling point at best.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
The fights in the New World and Fishman Island remind me of Luffy's East Blue and early Grand Line fights. His opponents are no challenge at all strength-wise. So the only way to make it into a challenging fight, is to have the environtment and circumstances be completely against him, or his opponents using Jojo-level bullshit abilities. Once the hero actually gets to attacking though, it's over in seconds.

It's great that Oda is doing this and avoiding DBZ territory for a while (I'm sure we'll get back to long rear end power battles as they go deeper in the New World). Zwee fighting is great and all when done well, but gently caress Toei for inserting it where it's not appropriate i.e. Zoro vs Hody fight.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Spidder posted:

where it's not appropriate i.e. Zoro vs Hody fight.

You mean e.g.

I started noticing the pattern of villain is far off doing evil until Luffy can reach him, then Luffy fights him and then somehow gets separated and then we get a ton of episodes of him trying to rereach the villain while the villain does more evil, and then finally victory. Even Hordy. I wish we could just have a straight-forward fight once. I guess Foxy counts. Though it is a good way to get two fights out of each villain, if the fights are what you're into. They were more entertaining before.

Also, could someone please kill Brownbeard? I feel like he'd survive having his head chopped off.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shadow0 posted:

Also, could someone please kill Brownbeard? I feel like he'd survive having his head chopped off.

Hey if Wapol could pull it off....

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

You mean e.g.

I started noticing the pattern of villain is far off doing evil until Luffy can reach him, then Luffy fights him and then somehow gets separated and then we get a ton of episodes of him trying to rereach the villain while the villain does more evil, and then finally victory. Even Hordy. I wish we could just have a straight-forward fight once. I guess Foxy counts. Though it is a good way to get two fights out of each villain, if the fights are what you're into. They were more entertaining before.

Luffy vs Foxy is actually one of my favourite fights because you flatout know Foxy has no chance in a fair fight, so its really cool to see him pulling all these tricks on Luffy and manage to get ahead by being clever and using his environment to its fullest potential.Also Afro Luffy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Hey if Wapol could pull it off....

I still love the fact that in order to power up Wapol loving ate himself.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There are those episodes of One Piece you can watch in front of your non-anime friends, and then there are episodes like this one.

I feel like that airplane guy is supposed to be some kind of racial Asian stereotype.
But he's drawn by an Asian, so now I'm just confused.
And really ready for him to never speak or be shown again.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shadow0 posted:

There are those episodes of One Piece you can watch in front of your non-anime friends, and then there are episodes like this one.

The whole "River of Boobs" scene comes to mind

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like that airplane guy is supposed to be some kind of racial Asian stereotype.

I just watched the episode, could you elaborate? I didn't see any issues with it, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Asuron posted:

I just watched the episode, could you elaborate? I didn't see any issues with it, but maybe I'm missing something here.

I guess it's because he has buck teeth and those on a cartoon character are associated with asian caricatures? Though contextually it's pretty dumb to think that.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Next episode General Franky gets some action. Should be good was eagerly awaiting it this whole episode.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

I guess it's because he has buck teeth and those on a cartoon character are associated with asian caricatures? Though contextually it's pretty dumb to think that.

I mean I wasn't really all the serious.
This is what I was thinking though:

I mean, if I'm the only one seeing it, I guess I'll accept I'm wrong about it (I'd rather be wrong anyway). I guess statistically, with all the characters Oda draws, someone's gonna look like someone else's idea of racistish.

But whatever, can we all just agree that he's incredibly annoying?

Also, "Is Brownbeard okay?" "Yes. ...no wait, no."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His powers are cool, and his personality played well off Baby no. 5's and I think his design is pretty awesome too - so no, I don't think we can agree he was annoying.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

His powers are cool, and his personality played well off Baby no. 5's and I think his design is pretty awesome too - so no, I don't think we can agree he was annoying.

They picked a good voice if they wanted to make him annoying.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
FYI

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/31-1/crunchyroll-to-simulcast-one-piece-anime

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Funimation lose the rights or something?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

Did Funimation lose the rights or something?

I assume they are still doing the dub and putting out subs every week, it's just that Crunchyroll also gets to put out episodes.
Crunchyroll is loving killing it right now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Senor Candle posted:

I assume they are still doing the dub and putting out subs every week, it's just that Crunchyroll also gets to put out episodes.
Crunchyroll is loving killing it right now.

Meanwhile, in the UK, I use my crunchyroll account to watch Hunter x Hunter and.... uhh...

Oh! I can read Attack on Titan now too I guess.

Huh.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Meanwhile, in the UK, I use my crunchyroll account to watch Hunter x Hunter and.... uhh...

Oh! I can read Attack on Titan now too I guess.

Huh.

Sorry you don't live in the only country that matters, mate. :patriot:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Candle posted:

Sorry you don't live in the only country that matters, mate. :patriot:

:canada:

EDIT: Wait poo poo do I get Crunchyroll too? I haven't actually checked I just used Funi's site to watch One Piece.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 4, 2013

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Anyone know what the deal is with the OP? I was hoping Crunchyroll could get the current one

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, "Is Brownbeard okay?" "Yes. ...no wait, no."

That was one of the best parts of the episode. I've been starting to get annoyed by how many fake-executions Brownbeard is taking (it's a lot, even for One Piece) but lampshading it like that goes a long way to making me feel alright about it.

Also, curious what's going on with Franky. He says he's defending the Sunny, but it sure looks like he's defending the SAD hauler? Is he confused, or is there something tricky going on there? Both seem equally likely, hah. I hope he has to take on both of these guys by himself, we've yet to really see what General Franky's capable of.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shadow0 posted:

Why would Oda, a modern day japanese man, use american racist iconagraphy against his own race from the 40s when designing a character? Is he even aware of how Dr Seuss drew the Japanese?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah man, his wonky character design's so out of place next to the 15 foot sunglasses wearing cyborg in a speedo and the guy that's literally part egg.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah man, his wonky character design's so out of place next to the 15 foot sunglasses wearing cyborg in a speedo and the guy that's literally part egg.

Not sure who is part egg.

Also shouldn't baby no. 5 be dead since she turned herself into an explosive?

Also isn't that SAD tanker Franky is on the one everyone wants to get to? How did he get there?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Also isn't that SAD tanker Franky is on the one everyone wants to get to? How did he get there?

Baron Tamago from Big Mom's crew. Baby 5's fruit allows her to turn into weapons and oddly enough reform herself so I think it's just a unique property of hers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Baron Tamago from Big Mom's crew. Baby 5's fruit allows her to turn into weapons and oddly enough reform herself so I think it's just a unique property of hers.

Forgot that guy.

Also while her power may be too turn into weapons, explosives would still fragment the poo poo out of her.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crazyeyes posted:

Forgot that guy.

Also while her power may be too turn into weapons, explosives would still fragment the poo poo out of her.

Whats the fun of a missile-missile fruit if you can only use it once in a kamikaze attack?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Franky took off after Law got everyone out of the cage. Remember the fart rocket?

Crazyeyes posted:

Forgot that guy.

It's just one of those Logiaesque powers that Paramecia get sometimes.