Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I distinctly remember making a 40% scalp on Broadcom in the middle of meeting after an earnings report back in 2005. After hours trading, Level 2 quotes, and execution speed are probably the only reasons I'm sticking with Ameritrade's $9.99 comissions, though to be fair, those are pretty compelling reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
$FB today man...the past 24 hours have been a total mind gently caress, just wow. Goes to show that listening to the chatter will drive you crazy. I didn't even turn on the TV today. Feel bad for the options players who got hosed in the dump. I'm holding common stock long.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
jesus christ my order was in and I was the ask to close this position, then CNBC Said A Thing and the stock drops 1%

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I distinctly remember making a 40% scalp on Broadcom in the middle of meeting after an earnings report back in 2005. After hours trading, Level 2 quotes, and execution speed are probably the only reasons I'm sticking with Ameritrade's $9.99 comissions, though to be fair, those are pretty compelling reasons.
Don't forget about the client; Thinkorswim is miles ahead of any other trading platform and I'd definitely pay a subscription fee just because of how good it is with options, which has paid off while I was learning and then trading option spreads.

edit: FSLR just came out with earnings and halted trades after they absolutely shattered them: $2.28 EPS v. $1.00 EPS estimated :stare:

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 31, 2013

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Leviathan posted:

My current energy plays include TOT, STO, SU, APA, CVX, UGP, and XOM stock and calls (how could anyone not have bought these, when it hit 85ish there was a strong bounce off support going back to mid 2012). I'm pretty bullish on TOT and UGP in the days to weeks timeframe, but CVX and XOM are core holdings for me considering I've had some XOM common stock inheritance to my name since the mid 90s.

PBR is also looking very interesting with a breakout and nice closes above the 200d with volume...may initiate a position tomorrow.

Only took a quick glance at some of the stocks. CVX and XOM appeal to me because I'm trying to be a value investor over a long time frame. I know that over a long period of time it shouldn't matter, but at the moment I rather wait for a pull back before buying in. The same with Visa.

I agree that PBR looks very interesting - on google finance it says that the Brazilian government is a major shareholder. I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing. I have an emerging market ETF, but investing in individual stocks in emerging markets I feel is a bit risky. I just took a look and it looks like my ETF does have PBR in its holding - yay!

Is shale gas another name for oil? I just realized that I don't know the difference. Wouldn't the huge deposits found in the U.S and China lower the price of oil? If that's the case, I rather make a play on whatever is use to transport or refine this stuff.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

dogpower posted:

Only took a quick glance at some of the stocks. CVX and XOM appeal to me because I'm trying to be a value investor over a long time frame. I know that over a long period of time it shouldn't matter, but at the moment I rather wait for a pull back before buying in. The same with Visa.

I agree that PBR looks very interesting - on google finance it says that the Brazilian government is a major shareholder. I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing. I have an emerging market ETF, but investing in individual stocks in emerging markets I feel is a bit risky. I just took a look and it looks like my ETF does have PBR in its holding - yay!

Is shale gas another name for oil? I just realized that I don't know the difference. Wouldn't the huge deposits found in the U.S and China lower the price of oil? If that's the case, I rather make a play on whatever is use to transport or refine this stuff.
Shale gas is gas (i.e. natural gas). Oil is oil. Although fracking is used to extract both.

There are shitloads of gas reserves being unlocked by fracking, which is why the price of natural gas is so low now. Oil is still a much rarer and in-demand commodity.

Companies that built up their gas reserves while the price of gas was ramping up during the mid-2000s to the point that they became overexposed to it when it crashed ca. 2009 are now desperately trying to unload it in favor of oil reserves.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Acquilae posted:

Don't forget about the client; Thinkorswim is miles ahead of any other trading platform and I'd definitely pay a subscription fee just because of how good it is with options, which has paid off while I was learning and then trading option spreads.

Are you a tastytrader?

I use paper money on the TOS platform to set up trades and analyze them (love the "Analyze" tab). But I execute in IB since I can't justify 9.99 +1.25 per contract when IB charges a flat 70 cents per contract.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dogpower posted:

What the other person said, and also no, huge deposits found in a place don't necessarily lower the price. They might. But the oil market is complicated. Some oil might cost $120/barrel to extract and if oil is going for $100, ain't nobody gonna extract it. This kind of news comes up all the time and the news outlets never bother to mention if it's economically feasible to recover.

This is why the weird email forwards from your crazy relative saying "why aren't we seeing cheaper gas prices when Obama and the environmentalists are keeping this huge US oil deposit a secret" are horribly misguided.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a podcast for learning the basics? I can get some books, but I love me podcasts :)

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Seeking Alpha has an email list that, every morning around 7am, sends a short summary of the 10 big stories from the previous day/coming day, along with a list of companies releasing earnings. This is really nice, but I'd rather avoid Seeking Alpha whenever possible. Is there anything comparable?

Can you link that email list? I've been looking for a calendar of major upcoming earnings releases for a while. Right now I have sift through the entire list of releases day by day and it's annoying.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

alnilam posted:

What the other person said, and also no, huge deposits found in a place don't necessarily lower the price. They might. But the oil market is complicated. Some oil might cost $120/barrel to extract and if oil is going for $100, ain't nobody gonna extract it. This kind of news comes up all the time and the news outlets never bother to mention if it's economically feasible to recover.

Yeah seems complicated. I tried googling how shale gas would impact oil prices and there was no definitive answer. I think coal will continue to do badly in the future though and with the huge reserves of shale gas natural gas will continue to be cheap?

Put $1500 in my indexes for now. Thinking of buying F on the dip because interest rates are going to remain low and though they missed October estimates, there still doing very well.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

Gamesguy posted:

Can you link that email list? I've been looking for a calendar of major upcoming earnings releases for a while. Right now I have sift through the entire list of releases day by day and it's annoying.

quote:

Wall Street Breakfast, Seeking Alpha's flagship daily business news summary, is a one-page summary that gives you a rapid overview of the day's key financial news. It's designed for easy readability on the site or by email (including on mobile devices), and is published at 6:30 AM ET every market day.

Wall Street Breakfast readership of over 300,000 includes many from the investment-banking and fund-management industries.

Sign up here to receive the Wall Street Breakfast in your inbox every business day: http://seekingalpha.com/account/email_preferences

Here is a sample of today's email:

quote:

Top Stories
AT&T exploring Vodafone acquisition. AT&T (T) is reportedly preparing the groundwork for a takeover of Vodafone (VOD) next year in a deal that would create a company with a market cap in excess of $250B and over 500M wireless subscribers. Executives at the U.S. carrier are trying to identify which assets it would retain and who would buy businesses that would be spun off. Any deal, of course, would have to wait until Vodafone closes the sale of its Verizon Wireless stake.

RBS to create internal "bad" bank, losses narrow. RBS's (RBS) shares dropped 3.8% premarket after the U.K. company said it would create an internal "bad" bank that will ring fence £38B of toxic assets. RBS hopes the move will help free up £10-11B of capital, although the bank also expects to take £4-4.5B of impairment charges in Q4. RBS intends to accelerate the IPO of its U.S. Citizens unit and said it's involved with a sector-wide probe of possible forex manipulation. In Q3, RBS's pretax loss fell by more than half to £634M.

Chinese factory activity edges up. China's official manufacturing PMI increased to an 18-month high of 51.4 in October from 51.1 in September and surpassed consensus. However, the reading for big companies rose, while that for smaller ones dropped into contraction territory, highlighting the unbalanced nature of China's economy. HSBC's PMI data edged up to 50.9 from 50.2. Readings for South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam and Taiwan indicated that manufacturing grew in those countries, although India remained in contraction.

Top Stock News
Barrick Gold plans $3B capital raise, shares slide. Barrick Gold's (ABX) stock-price dived 5.2% premarket after the company unveiled plans for a bought-deal public offering of 163.5M common shares at $18.35 each, enabling the miner to raise a net $2.6B. Shares had already dropped 5.4% in regular trading after Barrick issued Q3 earnings and announced the suspension of construction at its Pascua-Lama project in South America.

AIG net profit climbs 17%. AIG's (AIG) Q3 net profit rose 17% to $2.17B and adjusted EPS of $0.96 beat forecasts, but premium revenue at the insurer's property-casualty business fell 3.7% to $8.43B and the unit continued to pay out more in claims than it took in. Separately, AIG said the sale of its ILFC aircraft leasing unit hadn't yet closed and could still be terminated. AIG's shares fell 3.2% in post-market trading.

Heavyweights square up over Nortel patents.The consortium that bought thousands of Nortel patents for $4.5B in 2011 has sued Google (GOOG), Samsung (SSNLF, SSNGY), HTC (OTC:HTCCY), Huawei and four other companies for infringing some of the IP. The group, called Rockstar, is owned by Apple (AAPL), Microsoft (MSFT), BlackBerry (BBRY), Ericsson (ERIC) and Sony (SNE). The patents cited in the suit cover technology that enables targeted advertising on Internet search results - the core of Google's money making machine.

iPad Air goes on sale, iPad mini to launch on November 21. Apple's (AAPL) iPad Air has gone on sale in stores across Asia and Europe, with countries in North America set to follow, although online orders began at midnight. Hundreds of people are reported to have queued up outside shops in Tokyo and Sydney, but the commencement of sales doesn't seem to have generated the media interest that previous Apple devices attracted. The launch date of the new iPad mini will apparently be on November 21.

Hilton hopes to go public in early December. Hilton Worldwide reportedly plans to launch its IPO in the week of December 2, assuming the hotel operator passes a regulatory review in time. Hilton, which is owned by Blackstone (BX), has filed to raise $1.25B in its listing. The IPO would be one of a number that companies in the private-equity firm's portfolio are carrying out. Earlier this week, shopping mall owner Brixmor (BRX) raised $825M.

Top Economic & Other News
Food-stamp payments set to drop. The amount that people can receive in food stamps is due to fall today following the expiration of a 13.6% increase in the program that the government introduced in 2009 as part of its stimulus plan. That increase, as well as the great recession, has helped send spending on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to a record $78.4B in the fiscal year ending September 30. Retailers who could feel the pinch include Wal-Mart (WMT), Target (TGT) and Kroger (KR).

Alpha-Rich Stock Movers and Great Calls
1) Parker Drilling (PKD) is +12.5% since October 14, when Stephen Simpson called out 25-40% upside. New management continues to perform, the company's rig segment keeps growing and its rental business is getting ready to turn a corner. Read article »
2) Bankers Petroluem (OTC:BNKJF) is +20% since August 16, after Devon Shire highlighted the company as undervalued. Read article »

Alpha-Rich Stocks To Watch
1) Financial compliance firm Issuer Direct (OTC:ISDR) has made a recent acquisition that the market hasn't registered yet. The pro forma finances suggest 70% upside for the shares. Read article »
2) Salamander Energy (OTC:SALDF) is trading cheaply due to misunderstanding over 2012's results. Value Digger sees triple-digit upside as production continues to grow. Read article »

Alpha-Rich articles are the best long and short ideas on Seeking Alpha. SA Pro subscribers receive early access to these Alpha-Rich articles, which often move markets. For more information about SA Pro and becoming a subscriber, click here.

Today's Markets:
In Asia, Japan -0.9% to 14202. Hong Kong +0.2% to 23250. China +0.4% to 2150. India +0.15% to 21197.
In Europe, at midday, London -0.1%. Paris -0.4%. Frankfurt -0.2%.
Futures at 6:20: Dow +0.2%. S&P +0.1%. Nasdaq +0.2%. Crude flat at $96.41. Gold -0.35% to $1318.90.
Ten-year Treasury Yield -1 bps to 2.57%.

Today's economic calendar:
Auto sales
8:58 PMI Manufacturing Index
10:00 ISM Manufacturing Index

Notable earnings before today's open: ACW, ALE, AXL, BPL, BRKR, CBOE, CHD, CVI, CVRR, CVX, GEL, GWR, IPGP, MSG, NCT, NEE, NRF, NVE, OAK, OMG, POR, RUTH, SPR, UAN, UPL,USM, WCG, XLS

Lazy Broker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 1, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Since today is my last day as a person who works in regulating natural gas utilities, I can tell you that it is a matter of when, not if, natural gas prices begin to rise. I wouldn't suggest making a timed play or anything, but as a buy and hold strategy, sure.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kal Torak posted:

Are you a tastytrader?

I use paper money on the TOS platform to set up trades and analyze them (love the "Analyze" tab). But I execute in IB since I can't justify 9.99 +1.25 per contract when IB charges a flat 70 cents per contract.
Yep and wish I had found out about them earlier than spring this year. I started to only watch Last Call for Tim Knight's analysis but after learning options their strategies make so much sense and the outlook on markets by SLM, Brad & Peter on Shadowtrader, and Tom is much more informative than CNBC/Bloomberg.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Fine-able Offense posted:

Since today is my last day as a person who works in regulating natural gas utilities, I can tell you that it is a matter of when, not if, natural gas prices begin to rise. I wouldn't suggest making a timed play or anything, but as a buy and hold strategy, sure.

Well sure, hydrocarbons in general will only go up in price over a long enough term (unless they get largely replaced by some other fuel/energy source) since they're a finite resource with relatively high/steady demand. But is there anything in particular that makes you feel like gas is going up?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Cranbe posted:

Well sure, hydrocarbons in general will only go up in price over a long enough term (unless they get largely replaced by some other fuel/energy source) since they're a finite resource with relatively high/steady demand. But is there anything in particular that makes you feel like gas is going up?

Demand is rising (and will further spike in the event that the government of British Columbia pushes head with liquefaction facilities on the coast aimed at exporting LNG to Japan/China), combined with a concerted effort in the U.S. to curb supply as much as possible. The only reason prices are where they are is all of the cheap shale gas came online all at the same time, and producers were selling it as cheaply as possible. U.S. production is finally stagnating and prices will begin to creep up accordingly.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Basically bought the all time high of NQ today and am going to get my hat handed to me :twisted: at least my position wasn't big.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
whew, my limit order on my FB calls just barely got filled on the little spike earlier before FB started sliding for the rest of the day. ended up not taking a loss, i am never playing earnings on FB again, ugh.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast for learning the basics? I can get some books, but I love me podcasts :)

Ok, like many trading forums the conversation here is currently unintelligible to me. But that's cool, that's why I want to learn!

I had a scout and found this podcast, which seems to have started ok. He starts off by explain options and how you can make an unlimited return with a per-defined maximum risk. Sounds good to me, time to read some more books, listen to some more stuff and start paper trading.

Anyone else at babby's first trade stage like me, you might wanna whack this on your player. First episode is a really nice kick in the nuts about how you can work your whole drat life and then retire and drop dead, for loving what?

http://markettradertraining.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

You can find it in iTunes under Market Trader Training.

p.s. I'm overseas and after watching FOREX for a while I was thinking, hrm, I kinda get how this is moving, 10k for the minimum trade with no fees.. I could kinda.. then a bit more research and it appears FOREX is basically the boss raiding of trading. Start out with options, bro, seems to the be consensus.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Tony Montana posted:

p.s. I'm overseas and after watching FOREX for a while I was thinking, hrm, I kinda get how this is moving, 10k for the minimum trade with no fees.. I could kinda.. then a bit more research and it appears FOREX is basically the boss raiding of trading. Start out with options, bro, seems to the be consensus.

My first piece of advice would be to get rid of debt, and max out your 401k or comparable retirement account. Then save up a significant cash reserve for emergencies (6+ months of living expenses) and THEN save up another significant chunk of trading capital - like over $10k at the very least.

If you can't do these simple things - if you don't have the stamina to at the very minimum get your own financial house in order - you will NEVER succeed as any kind of trader.

Assuming you've done all these things, my next piece of advice would be to not even think about forex, and to forget trading options until you've paper-traded them for at least 6 months and understand ALL of the parameters. It's not something you can learn in an afternoon. It's not a video game!

Even seasoned options traders can eat poo poo for a long stretch of time. I know a guy with over a dozen years of experience as a professional options trader and he lost his rear end for close to year when the VIX was in the toilet and took a 50%+ drawdown.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks.

All of what you recommend as financial 'clean up' is done. Makes good sense.

Get some books and listen to some more podcasts and fire up that paper-trade app, next, I guess :)

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
I am going to stick to index funds for now. Started investing in May and I'm only up 4% but I think my indexes are up in the double digits. I made some stupid gambles early on- I invested in PHM and NBG. I also invested a small amount in LSG hoping to get rich when starting out.

I learnt a lot about investing and it was fun researching about companies but the current environment I feel is not optimal for a newbie investor like me and its time consuming. When stocks reach an all time low like 2008-09 then Ill get back in but I feel like Ill make more money focusing on work, cutting down on costs, and spending more time on my hobbies.

Learning about investing has given me an appreciation for people who do this for a living. You must be pretty well rounded and knowledgeable about all sorts of things and since I've started investing, I've become more aware of the influence of companies and products around me.

So I'm writing this to make sure I stick to index investing, and also thanks to the people who helped me out.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

dogpower posted:

I am going to stick to index funds for now. Started investing in May and I'm only up 4% but I think my indexes are up in the double digits. I made some stupid gambles early on- I invested in PHM and NBG. I also invested a small amount in LSG hoping to get rich when starting out.

I learnt a lot about investing and it was fun researching about companies but the current environment I feel is not optimal for a newbie investor like me and its time consuming. When stocks reach an all time low like 2008-09 then Ill get back in but I feel like Ill make more money focusing on work, cutting down on costs, and spending more time on my hobbies.

Learning about investing has given me an appreciation for people who do this for a living. You must be pretty well rounded and knowledgeable about all sorts of things and since I've started investing, I've become more aware of the influence of companies and products around me.

So I'm writing this to make sure I stick to index investing, and also thanks to the people who helped me out.

Your post is setting off huge red flags...

You're clearly not learning anything if you think you're going to get another chance like 2008-2009... Seriously, don't hold your breath. Rule Number 1: don't think you can time the market. This is naive as hell. Most pros can't do it, why do you think you can?

I really suggest you don't put any more money in the market until you deflate your ego and perhaps get some more experience.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
Congrats to the guys who got in on Solars last month. I'm getting a boner just looking at FSLR and SCTY charts from OCT-NOV.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.. I keep having to roll my covered calls on csiq, I've been holding since 12. Like, another 8% today, what the hell.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What are your guys thoughts on using Google Finance for market watching or analysis? I opened a Tradeking account and I haven't gotten to play around with the tools much but the real-time updates and basic layout/tools on Google Finance seems pretty intuitive. I'm at the stage where I'm just watching and learning and it makes it easy to follow a few stocks throughout the day well at work.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Well I'll eat my words on the BBRY deal. Who was shorting this?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Popete posted:

What are your guys thoughts on using Google Finance for market watching or analysis? I opened a Tradeking account and I haven't gotten to play around with the tools much but the real-time updates and basic layout/tools on Google Finance seems pretty intuitive. I'm at the stage where I'm just watching and learning and it makes it easy to follow a few stocks throughout the day well at work.

It's adequate. Google Finance is my "every day" destination for a quick snapshot of how the overall market and my positions / watched stocks are performing. It's also nice to have it integrated with Google News so that relevant stories are shown right next to the graph. It helps that I'm always logged into my GMail account so all I have to do is load finance.google.com and get a quick impression within a few seconds.

It falls short in more powerful features, but hopefully your broker's site should provide those for when you need them.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Lelorox posted:

Your post is setting off huge red flags...

You're clearly not learning anything if you think you're going to get another chance like 2008-2009... Seriously, don't hold your breath. Rule Number 1: don't think you can time the market. This is naive as hell. Most pros can't do it, why do you think you can?

I really suggest you don't put any more money in the market until you deflate your ego and perhaps get some more experience.

I thought his post was the exact opposite of an inflated ego. He recognised that he was not prepared for trading and he's asking for help. You're right about some things in my opinion, i.e. 2008-2009, but you could have been a little more helpful rather than making GBS threads on him.

:shrug:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mills posted:

I thought his post was the exact opposite of an inflated ego. He recognised that he was not prepared for trading and he's asking for help. You're right about some things in my opinion, i.e. 2008-2009, but you could have been a little more helpful rather than making GBS threads on him.

:shrug:

dogpower posted:

Getting rich slowly is pretty much the first thing anyone worth listening to will tell you. Warren Buffet averaged 24% return p.a. over his entire career.

If you're a newbie investor, what do you know about what the market is optimal for? If you're new, you know nothing, so it's time consuming because you have to do the work and become not new. How can you tell at any point in time that it's the 'all time low'?.

Starting out where you're generally recommended to start out, rather than being Wall Street on day one. It's actually hard and complicated and you need experience and training. Not a video game as someone said to me earlier.

I'm just starting out too and learning, but I've learned enough to spot key indicators (geddit!) when I see them. For Something Awful and discussing such a serious subject Lelorox was pretty subdued.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If one thinks US natural gas prices are going to go up (like, the price per std cubic foot of the actual gas) in the medium/far term, what is a good proxy to play that without getting into futures? Like, an ETF that is always trading for, say, 10x the price of some unit of natural gas.

UNG seems to be what I'm describing, but I wanted to make sure I'm interpreting it right. I'm not familiar with ETFs meant to track a commodity's price movements.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

alnilam posted:

If one thinks US natural gas prices are going to go up (like, the price per std cubic foot of the actual gas) in the medium/far term, what is a good proxy to play that without getting into futures? Like, an ETF that is always trading for, say, 10x the price of some unit of natural gas.

UNG seems to be what I'm describing, but I wanted to make sure I'm interpreting it right. I'm not familiar with ETFs meant to track a commodity's price movements.

I urge you to read the UNG prospectus in detail. It seems to change drastically from time to time. A couple years ago it was holding something like 40% of its assets in short term treasury securities.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but it used to suffer heavily from contango loss because it was just rolling contracts every month. Selling the front month and buying the next month. Not a good way to make money unless there's some unexpected rally.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
hah, i just realized bbry and znga are almost the same market cap now. crazy.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
Wow why did I think TWTR IPO was next year? November 7th what the gently caress, no wonder $FB is in the toilet...I played that all wrong

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lightning Zwei posted:

Wow why did I think TWTR IPO was next year? November 7th what the gently caress, no wonder $FB is in the toilet...I played that all wrong
As far as I can tell, Twitter is crap from a financial perspective.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
I didn't go through the whole thing, but if you're looking for a long-term vehicle to trade/invest in natural gas prices, UNG's own prospectus (updated in May 2013) says,

quote:

It is not the intent of USNG to be operated in a fashion such that its NAV will reflect the percentage change of the price of any particular futures contract as measured over a time period greater than one day.

Maybe that explains why this etf has reverse split like 10 times in the past 5 years to avoid being delisted...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn't you hear? This is a new era, outdated notions like "positive cash flow" and "actually selling something" are meaningless compared to number of eyeballs and trendiness.

e: Actually, I probably shouldn't just be totally dismissive. I haven't looked into the company's IPO details at all; is there really anything there?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 4, 2013

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Tell that to the millions that sold off FB after the stock tanked after ER (even though they raped ER) to instead gamble on TWTR this week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lightning Zwei posted:

Tell that to the millions that sold off FB after the stock tanked after ER (even though they raped ER) to instead gamble on TWTR this week.
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Imaginary Profits Only

Graham is a wizard or a mage or something