Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a little crew of friends who are bored with vanilla. The Minecraft mod scene is rather...intimidating though. What's a good mod pack for us to get started? We mainly like the exploration and building elements of the game but we don't want to make rockets or something. I was hoping to find some survival/adventure mods but there are so many its kind of crazy and the compatibility stuff is scary.

If you guys are as new as you say to modding, it might be worth trying a pre-existing modpack, so compatibility is much less of a concern. (Assuming the pack compiler did their job correctly.)

You could try Hexxit? It's way more adventure than tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My first experience with mods was Tekkit and it was really good, so is agree that something like Hexxit would be exactly what you're looking for.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I've recently gotten back into MC and I've been noodling around with Big Dig and only just discovered that RP2 and IC2 aren't used anymore.

After reading up I know why they aren't included anymore, and with IC2 I don't mind since everything it included has been replaced ultimately, but I miss RP2s Frames and the redstone alloy cables, and the decorative lights. After using it so long, and experimenting with rednet cable, it just doesn't feel right. While I can get used to rednet cables (despite how ugly it looks) is there a mod that adds back lights like RP had? The Glowstone Illuminators are ridiculously expensive and faffy to make for what is essentially a slightly brighter and nicer-looking redstone lamp.

A lot of this has been addressed, but a couple more things: microblocks can cover pipes and cables from other mods, so you can hide those rednet cables. As for frames, there's a much less laggy/crashy replication that adds tons of functionality: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/1-6-x-1-5-x-redstone-in-motion-redpower-frames-2-3-0-0-october-8.47048/

It's extremely cool. I had a lot of fun engineering a weird mining machine with them recently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

If you guys are as new as you say to modding, it might be worth trying a pre-existing modpack, so compatibility is much less of a concern. (Assuming the pack compiler did their job correctly.)

You could try Hexxit? It's way more adventure than tech.

Ok thanks, we'll give that a shot. Hopefully it's compatible with the latest version of Minecraft but I guess I'll find out when I get home from work!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok thanks, we'll give that a shot. Hopefully it's compatible with the latest version of Minecraft but I guess I'll find out when I get home from work!

It's not, it's 1.5.2 - but the pack will download and configure everything for you in a few seconds, you don't have to worry about compatibility - it'll create an isolated instance of whatever version of MC it requires. And don't worry, it won't touch your regular install in any way.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I noticed that BigDig no longer contains IndustrialCraft. I was looking to learn how to dabble with AE and ICBM, but all the tutorials on youtube show them powering the systems with IC2 stuff (usually Solar Panels). What do I use in lieu of this? For some reason, I had thought that AE was the new power system, but it looks like more of a power and item management system? Or something?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So im having a problem with getting Tekkit to work!

And thats all that happens when i hit play, it goes right back to the first screen. :smith: Fresh install that's yet to have Tekkit played.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

E: ^^^^ Glad it's not just me, I'm trying to figure out the exact same issue. I made a thread here: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/pack-update-fails-to-download-modpack-zip.54150/

JerikTelorian posted:

I noticed that BigDig no longer contains IndustrialCraft. I was looking to learn how to dabble with AE and ICBM, but all the tutorials on youtube show them powering the systems with IC2 stuff (usually Solar Panels). What do I use in lieu of this? For some reason, I had thought that AE was the new power system, but it looks like more of a power and item management system? Or something?

AE will accept pretty much any kind of power you throw at it. Any BC or UE compatible mods will work (BC, TE, MFR, Mekanism, etc)

AE is item storage mainly. Removes the needs for chests, and adds lots of item routing/crafting stuff that works really well. Here's a spotlight that gives a good overview (outdated, but still covers all the basics accurately): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSVMeHhyYU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Shadowmorn posted:

So im having a problem with getting Tekkit to work!

And thats all that happens when i hit play, it goes right back to the first screen. :smith: Fresh install that's yet to have Tekkit played.

I had this problem with BigDig last night. I just deleted the whole folder and started again, then it worked.

Taffer posted:

AE will accept pretty much any kind of power you throw at it. Any BC or UE compatible mods will work (BC, TE, MFR, Mekanism, etc)

AE is item storage mainly. Removes the needs for chests, and adds lots of item routing/crafting stuff that works really well. Here's a spotlight that gives a good overview (outdated, but still covers all the basics accurately): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSVMeHhyYU

Thanks! Mekanism is in the pack, so that must be what I'm looking at for power generation.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
For power generation my go-to option is generally just buildcraft/thermal expansion, to be honest, since it's much more elegant than mekanism. In either event, I think AE's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Actually, you might have a more enjoyable experience starting with Buildcraft for your energy generation, then delving into Thermal Expansion, Railcraft and/or Mekanism after you step up from 'one engine powering my machines' to 'centralized power generation.'

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JerikTelorian posted:

I had this problem with BigDig last night. I just deleted the whole folder and started again, then it worked.

Excellent. :haw:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shadowmorn posted:

Excellent. :haw:

Doesn't work for me. :(

VVV New TE will have tiered energy cells! The question is, when will it come out? :v:

Taffer fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 4, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Actually, you might have a more enjoyable experience starting with Buildcraft for your energy generation, then delving into Thermal Expansion, Railcraft and/or Mekanism after you step up from 'one engine powering my machines' to 'centralized power generation.'

Basically this. Buildcraft/ThermEx both have pretty simple receipes/etc without the bullshit mekanism 200-parts-with-300-sub-parts-needed thing I hate so much about some tech mods. My only wish for ThermEx is a cheaper alternative to the redstone energy cell, because energy storage and buffering is so incredibly useful.

slight edit; throwing buildcraft in there with TE because of the similar power stuff. I think the TE engines are slightly better since they don't explode, and there's a lava one and a coal/wood/etc one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well sure, BC/TE is a good start but if you're looking for MOAR POWAR :byodood: then you're at a material baseline that can sustain experimentation. An array of magmatics powered from the Nether lava fields are all fine and dandy, but then you'll never know the glory that is MFR bio-reactors, giant steam boilers or...arrays of hydrogen/heat generators. :v:

Yeah, Mekanism isn't all that great for power generation. It's probably the closely associated to IC2 in terms of how power gets generated (solar, wind, etc), but to get to that point takes more machines than it really should with the base mod recipes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Someone really needs to make a mod that's eighty different ways of generating power. They don't all even need to be terribly practical, I'm just tired of my options being "magmatic generators" or "uh well :effort:" for power generation.

Engines that run on milk. Engines that run on experience that I put into it with syringes. Multiblock generators that don't work unless I shove a pig into it at which point it operates at terrifying efficiency for a long time. A multiblock generator which doesn't work unless I imprison a villager in it to run on a treadmill. An engine powered by things dying near it. An engine powered by bees. An engine powered by gunpowder which also sets things near it on fire.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Honestly my go-to lately has been a rubber tree farm that feeds into sawmills that then feed steam engines, just because it's relatively simple to setup and can be done manually for a bit until you're ready to automate. Also it's easy to scale and is renewable power.

President Ark posted:

Someone really needs to make a mod that's eighty different ways of generating power. They don't all even need to be terribly practical, I'm just tired of my options being "magmatic generators" or "uh well :effort:" for power generation.

Engines that run on milk. Engines that run on experience that I put into it with syringes. Multiblock generators that don't work unless I shove a pig into it at which point it operates at terrifying efficiency for a long time. A multiblock generator which doesn't work unless I imprison a villager in it to run on a treadmill. An engine powered by things dying near it. An engine powered by bees. An engine powered by gunpowder which also sets things near it on fire.

But yes this would be awesome. Someone do this.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

President Ark posted:

Yeah, that'd be neat. There are a bunch of cool methods out there, they're just all so dwarfed by easymode lava power. I always play with lava generation stuff disabled, because its just so boring, I feel like it takes the fun out of making a more creative or complex system.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

President Ark posted:

There was a mod a long time ago that died the death, but was neat: it was an infection block that gradually spread, Thaumcraft Taint style, across healthy blocks. It was more interesting than practical because if you left it for any length of time it would just take over everything and be impossible to stop unless you devoted all your time to upending it, but that, combined with IC2s terraforming devices, always made me want some kind of technological or magical device that generated something useful (like power or Vis for thaumcraft) by consuming living beings like Testificates or leeching life from the surroundings to create a barren or evil landscape. I vaguely remember Thaumcraft having some kind of crucible that worked like that, but it was taken out during the transition from Thaumcraft 2 to 3.

I can't wait till Big Dig for 1.6 comes out, I really want to use Resonant Induction to make an evil lair :devil:

e: also, just watched that tutorial for Applied Energistics. This is why I find the modpacks so daunting, I can spend ages on them and not realise just how powerful some of the mods are, from the sheer number of things I need to look up and familiarize myself with.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 4, 2013

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Mako Reactor mod, big multiblock generator Generates a fuckton of power but slow changes a 11x11 chunk area into desert or some other useless terrible biome.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Hagop posted:

Mako Reactor mod, big multiblock generator Generates a fuckton of power but slow changes a 11x11 chunk area into desert or some other useless terrible biome.

Then I would use those exclusively, since I like building in deserts. Maybe have it slowly remove ores?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Yeah, that'd be neat. There are a bunch of cool methods out there, they're just all so dwarfed by easymode lava power. I always play with lava generation stuff disabled, because its just so boring, I feel like it takes the fun out of making a more creative or complex system.

See, I don't have or use IC2, and I'm on 1.6 - my only power right now is BC, RC, Forestry, and EnderIO - I don't have any lava power generation at all. It proves to be a bit more interesting trying to figure out how I want to handle all my centralized power generation this way, at least early on. Later, it'll be a lot more simplified.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Could someone tell me what the name of the Goon mod that lets you make power bridges and forcefield walls is? Its not MFFS.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Here you go, PiCroft.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Here you go, PiCroft.

Fantastic, thanks!

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

mechanicalFactory posted:

Then I would use those exclusively, since I like building in deserts. Maybe have it slowly remove ores?

Deserts are likely not sufficiently lovely, and yes it should total delete ores.

If run until it can't produce anymore power the area around it should be devoid of anything potentially useful and cause all negative status effects to hit the player if they try to travel through.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

President Ark posted:

I love the way you think. There's not an idea in there I didn't like. Someone hire this man.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Those are all fantastic ideas and I would use the poo poo out of them all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
An engine that runs on ghast tears. On dirt but produces deadly smog for being a cheap bastard. That only works in The End and is fantastic but attracts endermen swarms. A potato based engine that byproducts vodka somehow. A engine that uses cooked food and another that requires to be built on the line between a snow and sand biome that uses the radical heat difference (thanks mmochampion/Dark Legacy!) to produce heat. A kinetic engine that needs you to wind it up, AE crank style.

And of course.

A diamond Nether Star powered engine. :unsmigghh:

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Shadowmorn posted:

A kinetic engine that needs you to wind it up, AE crank style.

Isn't there one of those in Railcraft?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

An engine that produces .000000001MJ and requires you to constantly replace failing parts with components that have 5 layers of intermediate components, and need to be installed with a unique, single-use multitool.

That also requires a Nether Star.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Carados posted:

Probably thinkin of the Clockwork Engine from Forestry.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
This mod needs a name, may i suggest Enginecraft? Powercraft? NetherStarCraft? Gotta jam a Craft in there somewhere or its not a real mod! :argh:

Carados posted:

I think theres a forestry one, but im more into the idea that it has a little crank ontop that can break from overuse. :3:

PiCroft posted:

An engine that produces .000000001MJ and requires you to constantly replace failing parts with components that have 5 layers of intermediate components, and need to be installed with a unique, single-use multitool.

That also requires a Nether Star.

I like you.

Edit: Fear powered engine. Only works in proximity to fleeing animals or ocelots. Alternatively put a cat and a creeper in it.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 5, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

A very large multiblock structure that attracts villagers into the entrance at the start of every day, and lets them go home sooty as all get-out at night. Causes the village to get kinda filthy, which can be mitigated by employing young villager chimneysweeps.

An alternative version of the above which doesn't release its workers, and outputs porkchops. :unsmigghh:

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
An engine which generates power when it's moved by a vanilla piston.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

President Ark posted:

A friend of mine had a milk-cooled liquid force engine going for a while, so, go get DartCraft I guess.

mechanicalFactory posted:

A reactor that slowly increases the spawn rate of deadly mobs in the surrounding area would be an interesting option. A reactor with a chance to create a resonance cascade that starts zapping in Xen fauna, maybe?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Hostile mobs, including nether mobs, while the biome slowly shifts to the nether biome, replacing things with netherrack and soulsand

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I never realized how much I wanted this mod and now I'm kind of sad it doesn't exist yet.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Anticheese posted:

A very large multiblock structure that attracts villagers into the entrance at the start of every day, and lets them go home sooty as all get-out at night. Causes the village to get kinda filthy, which can be mitigated by employing young villager chimneysweeps.

An alternative version of the above which doesn't release its workers, and outputs porkchops. :unsmigghh:

Ohhh gently caress I posted too soon. I like the way you think, buddy. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Broand posted:

An engine which generates power when it's moved by a vanilla piston.

Yesssss this exactly. An engine where you have to setup some crazy 3D block puzzle to keep it outputting.

• Locked thread