Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it's better in the long run for it to be bad so that the current leadership hopefully gets shitcanned. No more Nomura and Toriyama is what I call progress.

But every single game Nomura has been directly in charge of has been really fun?

Are you really saying the one of the few guys there who seems to know how to make a fun games should be fired because you don't like his character designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Doesn't 14:ARR basically prove that, though?

(And ARR was free of meddling from Nomura and Toriyama, IIRC, which is part of why)

Well, yeah. This whole exaggerated accelerationist death-cult attitude is just silly. FFXIII was not the new Hitler, Square-Enix does not need to be purged with salutary terror so that a purer and stronger people may arise from the ashes of the old order.

Nomura is quite capable of making good and successful games, too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

But every single game Nomura has been directly in charge of has been really fun?

Are you really saying the one of the few guys there who seems to know how to make a fun games should be fired because you don't like his character designs?

I am not a fan of his output. KH's idiotic focus on the ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL makes the thing a loving slog.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I don't see how ARR is a huge point in their favor when it took the biggest embarrassment since Spirits Within before they decided to give a high profile project to someone actually competent. Bear in mind the original FFXIV was so bad Square had to make a public apology to the people who bought it and they were basically driven into a corner to make that call.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

I am not a fan of his output. KH's idiotic focus on the ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL makes the thing a loving slog.
Wasn't The World Ends With You supposed to be really good or was he not involved with that outside of character designs?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The World Ends With You owned and gives the KH team a lot of goodwill they haven't really squandered with their later games.

I want Nomura to work on another urban fantasy game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BioMe posted:

I don't see how ARR is a huge point in their favor when it took the biggest embarrassment since Spirits Within before they decided to give a high profile project to someone actually competent. Bear in mind the original FFXIV was so bad Square had to make a public apology to the people who bought it and they were basically driven into a corner to make that call.

Honestly, I think it's a point in their favor because they really have made such a huge change to something that was originally that bad. It went from something that was horrendously god-awful to something that's a Legit Good Game now. Yeah, it's dumb that it had to go through a period as a pile of garbage but that's because of lovely people that need to be shitcanned (but won't because of corporate culture).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Wasn't The World Ends With You supposed to be really good or was he not involved with that outside of character designs?

Nomura wasn't involved beyond character designs. I'm pretty sure he did none of the writing for it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just because you don't like the story doesn't make the game itself not fun to play.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Mhahaha! I have returned! I will being Enuo back from the Void! You've played the part of a puppet very well! Soon my convoluted and ill-explained plan, will come to fruition!"

"No Exdeath! We were being tricked all along. Now I'm depressed for five hours. Lenna, let's talk about me being depressed about it for five hours, in a passive-agressive way."

"Bartz...I...I...I care about- I mean I don't give a poo poo! *punches Bartz*"

UNLOCKED:
Enuo's Codex VII Sub-section B:
"The Hero of Wind was depressed :words:

Put this man in charge of ARR, and Final Fantasy 13-4: You think this is over? Justin WONG

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr Pepper posted:

Just because you don't like the story doesn't make the game itself not fun to play.

But KH games aren't very fun to play. Kingdom Hearts 2 simplified the combat to the point of obsolesence, and never offered any substantial challenge outside of the boss battles, which were themselves either big spectacles with no real challenge to them or else endless exercises in frustration, stymied further by uneven challenges or bullshit deaths (DANCE WATER DANCE). Ignoring the storyline, the level designs are almost entirely garbage, consisting of unremarkable rooms stuffed with cannon fodder enemies, whom you must kill by tapping one button or sometimes tapping another button without much concern or challenge involved.

Removed from the game is the platforming elements of KH1, the exploration, levels with actual layers and vertical movement, a wide variety of enemies that require varied means of attack, and added in are QTEs and a loving MUSICAL.

From what I've seen of the mobile KH games, none of that seems to have been changed.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think you need to get up on the hydra's back, son.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BottledBodhisvata posted:

From what I've seen of the mobile KH games, none of that seems to have been changed.

The handheld KH games are the best though. Birth by Sleep is one of the funnest action RPGs made.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Plus people (not me) seem to love Re:Coded

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I dunno about Re:Coded, but after playing DDD I know I want(ed) more games to have Flowmotion.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Nomura hit gold with KH, and with action games like that it's hard to say if the gameplay really works because of the directors input or the programmers' hard work (or both). How smoothly things control is definitely a major reason for why KH is good, which seems more of a technical aspect.

Either way, just don't try to tell me the series proves Nomura has great skills in any other areas. (As a character designer at least he really needs a ton of restraint instead of being in charge of the everything)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The handheld KH games are the best though. Birth by Sleep is one of the funnest action RPGs made.

Birth by Sleep is amazing, and so is Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix if you play it on Proud or Critical.

Are we done with the whole Final Mix business? Dream Drop Distance doesn't seem to be getting one, especially since Kingdom Hearts III has started development, and we'll be getting the Final Mixes for II and Birth by Sleep in the next HD collection. It really sucks when they release massively improved versions of these games but keep them exclusive to Japan, especially when Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 both got their special editions released here. Kingdom Hearts III shouldn't ever need a new version, since it's possible to patch the game, but that never stopped Capcom from releasing Super Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, and Resident Evil 5 Gold.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With regards to TWEWY, didn't Nomura only handle the character designs for Neku and Shiki (which explains why Neku's pretty much another Sora clone and Shiki's Kairi after Nomura hits full :psyduck: on character designs)?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No he did all the characters. In anything else his style is way overdone but for a game who's entire agenda was Streets and Style he's excellent.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Barudak posted:

He's... ok? I mean his voice is fine for him up until the farplane realization but after that it just doesn't work at all. Auron is pitch-perfect though.

FFX also lucks out in being the Final Fantasy where the story and what would be major plot revelations in other games are are dealt with early on or made to feel unimportant because the heavy telegraphing exists to tell you that, in fact, this is how it works and everybody knows this. It's also the best portrayal of a death cult and culture obsessed with death in videogames so the side-villains goal of "kill the planet" makes some semblance of sense.

Doesn't hurt that Auron is awesome and that Yunalesca is a total push-over can not lose fight if you know the trick.

The voice actors had to match their voice overs to the pre-programmed animations. I thought James Arnold Taylor did a good job with this limitation and even made his voice sound more somber as the story progressed. You can tell he's much more comfortable narrating the story than he is during animated cutscenes.

That loving Sned posted:

Birth by Sleep is amazing, and so is Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix if you play it on Proud or Critical.

Are we done with the whole Final Mix business? Dream Drop Distance doesn't seem to be getting one, especially since Kingdom Hearts III has started development, and we'll be getting the Final Mixes for II and Birth by Sleep in the next HD collection. It really sucks when they release massively improved versions of these games but keep them exclusive to Japan, especially when Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 both got their special editions released here. Kingdom Hearts III shouldn't ever need a new version, since it's possible to patch the game, but that never stopped Capcom from releasing Super Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, and Resident Evil 5 Gold.

We'll probably see more HD ports of PS2 games. Kingdom Hearts 1 HD sold very well and provided HD development experience for programmers at SE Osaka. I read that it was more involved than a usual HD port since they lost the original assets for KH1. It's not too unusual for that to happen to a game company due to mergers or office relocation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunning posted:

The voice actors had to match their voice overs to the pre-programmed animations. I thought James Arnold Taylor did a good job with this limitation and even made his voice sound more somber as the story progressed. You can tell he's much more comfortable narrating the story than he is during animated cutscenes.

I just meant timbre and the confidence behind it. Like, pretty much everyone else sounds great with Jecht and Auron being standouts to me. That said for all the care they put into the lipsynching for the main cast they just didn't give a drat about NPCs. I'm looking at you Maester Relka whose mouth keeps moving for close to 2 or 3 seconds after his dialog finishes.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I kind of want to revisit the world of The Bouncer. That game was loving dumb in a way I can really appreciate.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I kind of want to revisit the world of The Bouncer. That game was loving dumb in a way I can really appreciate.

The Bouncer was pretty fun, yeah. It still had the dumb anime stylistic flourishes but I don't remember the game taking itself very seriously at all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

But KH games aren't very fun to play. Kingdom Hearts 2 simplified the combat to the point of obsolesence, and never offered any substantial challenge outside of the boss battles, which were themselves either big spectacles with no real challenge to them or else endless exercises in frustration, stymied further by uneven challenges or bullshit deaths (DANCE WATER DANCE). Ignoring the storyline, the level designs are almost entirely garbage, consisting of unremarkable rooms stuffed with cannon fodder enemies, whom you must kill by tapping one button or sometimes tapping another button without much concern or challenge involved.

Removed from the game is the platforming elements of KH1, the exploration, levels with actual layers and vertical movement, a wide variety of enemies that require varied means of attack, and added in are QTEs and a loving MUSICAL.

hmm yes Kingdom Hearts II isn't fun therefore the five games that have been released since (that you have never played) must be awful.

KHII Final Mix is amazing, Birth By Sleep is amazing, 3D is also pretty great. Re:coded is fun as hell but the plot is pretty much non-existant.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The best part of the Bouncer is all the rag-dolling everyone does, when they take a punch - like their limbs have suddenly jellified or something.

That loving Sned posted:

I don't even know any more. Most of the trailers never even got English subtitles, so it could be about Noctis and his friends trying to get to Paris to model the newest line of clothing from Roen, while escaping from the empire of the Etro fashion designers.

I blame you for giving me this idea That loving Sned;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ1q5UFKimI

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

But KH games aren't very fun to play. Kingdom Hearts 2 simplified the combat to the point of obsolesence,

You really should actually play KH games that came out afterward because they're all better than KH1 and got better iwth every game since. 3D and BBS are legit great action games on their own.

RequiemDream
Nov 2, 2013
Hi, I'm Azure_Horizon and I'm literally a rapist.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

It was a pretty awesome tech demo for the PS2, and honestly still looks pretty good. It's just got terribad gameplay.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Pesky Splinter posted:

This can't get quoted enough.

Re-watching the trailer, I'm getting a Metal Gear Rising vibe. Which is definitely a good thing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'll be cool with powered-up Noctis acting like Ripper Mode Raiden.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

RequiemDream posted:

It was a pretty awesome tech demo for the PS2, and honestly still looks pretty good. It's just got terribad gameplay.

I'm pretty sure it was possible to air juggle a dude with uppercuts until he died, no way can a game like this be bad.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Never stop being amazing :allears:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

Can we get Enoch as a DLC character?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mr. Maltose posted:

This can't get quoted enough.

Re-watching the trailer, I'm getting a Metal Gear Rising vibe. Which is definitely a good thing.

Magicite, son.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look, if the Final Boss's second form is just the first form but XYBER HUGE instead of some sort of gothic angel monstrosity I'll be a happy fellow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think it'd be cool if it was the other way around. The first fight is against some giant demigod style thing that's actually really, really easy because it's giant and slow so you can just run around all over it and it can't do poo poo. The second fight? Just the guy himself, but he fights like you and your party so he's actually tough and fun.

That'd be great, and wouldn't be woefully generic so it's not gonna happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I think it'd be cool if it was the other way around. The first fight is against some giant demigod style thing that's actually really, really easy because it's giant and slow so you can just run around all over it and it can't do poo poo. The second fight? Just the guy himself, but he fights like you and your party so he's actually tough and fun.

Giant boss fights are rarely good, this is true. Revengeance understood that, at least.

I liked most of KH 3DS' endbosses for the same reason, though good Lord that last one was hard as nails.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Dragonatrix posted:

This kind of happened in KH2.

Edit: Well, except for the whole fights like you and your party and every part of that fight was really easy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Go for broke, the antagonists are a party just like yours and the final boss battle is a 3v3 no-holds barred rumble for the championship belt.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The final boss's final form is just a dude no-selling everything like a hellish John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Look, if the Final Boss's second form is just the first form but XYBER HUGE instead of some sort of gothic angel monstrosity I'll be a happy fellow.

If SE made a game out of Buttlord GT then they'd be completely redeemed in my eyes.