Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Testekill posted:

That's the thing about Tropers. They think that everyone is aware of trope names and in-jokes.

Now then, shall I plow into the Your Mileage Might Vary page for Fire Emblem Awakening? Considering how much the games lends itself to that shipping bullshit, I'm sure that there's going to be something nice here.

Case in point, their go-to for "manipulative villain who doesn't lose" is a guy from a forgettable 90's cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Razorwired posted:

Case in point, their go-to for "manipulative villain who doesn't lose" is a guy from a forgettable 90's cartoon.

poo poo on TVTropes all you want but Gargoyles is loving unimpeachable :colbert: that show ruuuuuled when I was a lil'un.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Testekill posted:

That's the thing about Tropers. They think that everyone is aware of trope names and in-jokes.

Now then, shall I plow into the Your Mileage Might Vary page for Fire Emblem Awakening? Considering how much the games lends itself to that shipping bullshit, I'm sure that there's going to be something nice here.

Yeah, Awakening really brought out the anime creepers and shipping sperglords in full force to the fandom. It's perfect for Tropers.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 4, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Razorwired posted:

I've always been confused about Gargoyles, because over here in Australia it never got any airtime at all. Was that something that some random tropers and such latched onto as a thing in enough people's common knowledge to use as a touchstone, or was it actually big?

Either way, the Xanatos Gambit is dumb as poo poo, because that tells you literally nothing about what it is. It's a gambit, but beyond that you're kinda hosed unless you remember the exact cartoon these guys do in the exact same way.

It's always confused me how they didn't rename that, but did rename the tangentially-related 'Thirty Five Minutes Ago' (which is now You Are Too Late) despite that both being far more indicative of the trope and a reference to a thing people actually know. Hell, it'd be better for both of those if they renamed it the 'Ozymandias Gambit', because not only was Ozymandias' plan secure no matter what anyone did, he's also loving Ozymandias so anybody who's goign to the site probably knows who he is anyway.

I know I know, nitpicking about something we've already covered. But jesus christ, it's so easy to fix!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I've always been confused about Gargoyles, because over here in Australia it never got any airtime at all. Was that something that some random tropers and such latched onto as a thing in enough people's common knowledge to use as a touchstone, or was it actually big?

I wouldn't say it was particularly huge; it ran for a couple of seasons in syndication in the mid-90s. The main things I remember about it are that a) it was surprisingly dark for a Disney cartoon; and b) it featured a lot of voice actors from Star Trek: TNG.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It's always confused me how they didn't rename that, but did rename the tangentially-related 'Thirty Five Minutes Ago' (which is now You Are Too Late) despite that both being far more indicative of the trope and a reference to a thing people actually know. Hell, it'd be better for both of those if they renamed it the 'Ozymandias Gambit', because not only was Ozymandias' plan secure no matter what anyone did, he's also loving Ozymandias so anybody who's goign to the site probably knows who he is anyway.

On the other hand, it confused the rear end off me, because I thought you were referring to the Shelley poem. I had a long moment of, 'What on earth kind of character plans to have their own creations fall to dust and be forgotten?' before I realised what you were getting at.

Now that might actually make an interesting story.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have we talked about the Tropes you've always wanted to avert or subvert thread over in Writer's Block? It's the perfect example of what's wrong with the Troper approach to writing. For instance:

quote:

For me it's Puberty Superpower, don't know why it's just that it's so ubiquitous.

Okay, you have a character whose superpower manifests at a time other than puberty. So what?

quote:

The tropes where children or dogs are not brutally killed on screen. I forgot the actual names but I'd love to see babies bayoneted or animals massacred. Not some blurry aftershots.

:gonk:

quote:

• Abuse Is Okay When It's Female on Male: yeah, gently caress this trope. that is all.
  • Anything involving guys having their sexuality converted by being rear end-raped. I'm sorry, that's bullshit; if a dude rapes me, I'm not going to be questioning my preferences...I'm going to be hunting down said rapist and burying a sharp piece of steel between his thighs.
  • Rape Is Love: sorry, no it isn't.
  • Its Not Rape If You Enjoyed It: yes, actually, it is.
  • The Power of Love: gently caress that. Love gets us into more trouble than it fixes.
  • Ysandre/Tsandre: both of them can take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut.
  • The Chosen One: chosen by who? Not me, not God, and not anyone who matters.
  • Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Not so much.
  • Bishonen/Bishujo: weak people are weak people. They aren't sexy. Anime characters aren't either.

That's... a lot of rape talk there. Yikes.

quote:

Heel-Face Turn, of any sort. Especially High Heel-Face Turn.

So you have a villain who... stays a villain? How original.

And I haven't even gotten past page 1 of the thread yet.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

That's... a lot of rape talk there. Yikes.

I dunno, he's speaking against some pretty problematic treatments of rape that actually are common in media, so by troper standards it's not so bad.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Flesnolk posted:

I dunno, he's speaking against some pretty problematic treatments of rape that actually are common in media, so by troper standards it's not so bad.

Yeah, but then you've got the "weak people are weak people" line and a general weird aura of bitterness. This guy's awareness about rape is better than most Tropers, but I still wouldn't want to sit next to him on an airplane.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, but then you've got the "weak people are weak people" line and a general weird aura of bitterness. This guy's awareness about rape is better than most Tropers, but I still wouldn't want to sit next to him on an airplane.

You can tell a lot about the person who wrote all this poo poo too. Dude is probably a homophobe, doesn't like or respect men who are non-traditionally masculine and has obviously spent a lot of time fantasizing about inflicting violence on anyone who dares to buttsex him up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DaveWoo posted:

Okay, you have a character whose superpower manifests at a time other than puberty. So what?

How is it even "ubiquitous"? I can't think of a single superhero who got their superpowers at puberty other than the X-Men. Is it an anime thing? Looking at the trope page, they don't even have a lot of anime examples. Most of the examples are tween-targeted TV shows poo poo like Sabrina the Teenage Witch, except half the entries under Live Action TV are aversions or subversions or inversions or other non-examples.

(You'd think an inversion would be "the character loses superpowers at puberty", but here the example they give is "After Butcher's wife was raped by a superhero, she dies when the unborn super-powered fetus literally rips itself out of her womb." Non-example + Rape = Inversion! :tvtropes:)

Of course, even if it were ubiquitous, any attempts to "subvert" it would be either unremarkable or stupid ("At age 15, Billy gained the power to fly! ...but it was just a dream, instead he gained super-strength at age 37"), but it still seems like a bizarre thing to describe as "ubiquitous". Maybe everything just seems ubiquitous to tropers because everything that isn't an example is a somethingversion and therefore still an example?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Spider-Man, maybe? Although his power wasn't related to puberty, he just happened to get bitten by a spider when he was in his teens and the story dealt with his life as an awkward adolescent as well as being a superhero. Harry Potter, at a pinch, though he'd always had his magic powers, and what he really got was the chance to go to Hogwarts and learn to use them. I can't think of any others, unless you consider coming-of-age stories where a character learns some skills or wisdom to be "getting a superpower".

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah, a lot of superheroes are introduced around puberty because the powers are a vehicle to talk about the changes that happen in growing up. "With great power comes great responsibility" is one of the most iconic comic lines because it also speaks to the audience. The X-Men style mutants are the easiest example of adolescent heroes because their power usually manifests literally because of puberty. Spider-Man would count as would The Runaways, the kids in Future Foundation, Captain Marvel or maybe Power Pack.

You can also see the theme outside of traditional comics. Gunnerkrigg Court features teenagers/pre-teens discovering supernatural abilities. And they're a year or two off but Cucumber Quest and Paranatural feature kids close to the same age group developing powers/heroic skills. In books you have Harry Potter or The Secrets of Nicholas Flamel.

The theme is pervasive because teens and preteens are/were comic books' primary audience. So it was an easy way to convey certain themes to them using an entertaining and engaging tool. If you wanted to invert this in a meaningful way I would guess you could show kids with big, wild powers settling down and becoming more mundane as they grew up. Maybe you could count how Neverland doesn't want you to grow up. Or how the titular monsters of Monsters and Other Childish Things fade away as the kids get older because children are the only ones emotionally vulnerable enough to maintain relationships with the emotionally needy and irrational monsters. Or if you're a troper you could just talk about rape or go into wish-fulfillment. Because everyone knows that Spider-Man would have been a much better character if he was awesome and perfect at first, saved Uncle Ben and walked around being a Deadpan Snarker in a Love Triangle with Tsundere girlfriend Gwen Stacy and Fiery Redhead Mary-Jane :tvtropes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Razorwired posted:

Because everyone knows that Spider-Man would have been a much better character if he was awesome and perfect at first, saved Uncle Ben and walked around being a Deadpan Snarker in a Love Triangle with Tsundere girlfriend Gwen Stacy and Fiery Redhead Mary-Jane :tvtropes:

Believe it or not, the Spider-Man cartoon from the 1990s had Peter Parker meeting versions of himself from alternate universes. One of them came from a universe where he saved Uncle Ben; he is a multi-billionaire, a national celebrity, the world's greatest hero, owner of a giant Spider-Man robot, engaged to Gwen Stacy, and the Kingpin is his lawyer while J. Jonah Jameson is his godfather. He is also a tremendous rear end in a top hat (dare I say, a Deadpan Snarker :v:) who never has to try (perhaps he is Brilliant But Lazy :v:) and almost messes up their entire mission because he's so used to winning he doesn't even consider the possibility of failure.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is it an anime thing?

The answer to this is always yes. "Teenage girls who get themed powers to fight demons or aliens or whatever" is an entire genre in and of itself.

Also, the plot premise of almost literally every single Sci Fi or Fantasy Young Adult series is about the main characters balancing their new secret powers and/or destiny with everyday teenager stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And don't forget that Deboss Approved™ timeless classic: the Animorphs cycle.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Of course, even if it were ubiquitous, any attempts to "subvert" it would be either unremarkable or stupid ("At age 15, Billy gained the power to fly! ...but it was just a dream, instead he gained super-strength at age 37"), but it still seems like a bizarre thing to describe as "ubiquitous". Maybe everything just seems ubiquitous to tropers because everything that isn't an example is a somethingversion and therefore still an example?

I dunno, I think it would be kind of neat to have a story where you have some superkid who has spent their elementary school years showing amazing powers and everyone expects they're going to be this amazing hero and then he or she hits puberty and all their powers suddenly disappear and they become an ordinary person and have to deal with that. Or a story where a kid develops magical or psychic powers when they start high school, but it's all a delusion, leading to failure after failure.

Not that I think any troper could actually pull something like that off, or any really skillful "subversion." When you are so caught up in obsessing over pop culture, I think it's a stretch that you are going to be able to produce anything but pale imitations of the stuff you admire.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lowly posted:

I dunno, I think it would be kind of neat to have a story where you have some superkid who has spent their elementary school years showing amazing powers and everyone expects they're going to be this amazing hero and then he or she hits puberty and all their powers suddenly disappear and they become an ordinary person and have to deal with that. Or a story where a kid develops magical or psychic powers when they start high school, but it's all a delusion, leading to failure after failure.

Not that I think any troper could actually pull something like that off, or any really skillful "subversion." When you are so caught up in obsessing over pop culture, I think it's a stretch that you are going to be able to produce anything but pale imitations of the stuff you admire.

To an extent, this sort of reminds me of Matilda. The kid protagonist is clearly at least several years smarter than she actually is, and eventually starts exhibiting psychic/magic powers. At the very end, it's mentioned in passing that, thanks to being placed several years ahead in school, she's become too distracted with her schoolwork to be able to focus on her powers any more.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The thing that bothers me with the "subverted trope" thing on TV Tropes is that playing with cliches and concepts of a genre is something writers often do, at least if they're any good -- but that's different from just "something other than this trope happened," which is the criteria Tropers use.

Like, I guess you could have a setting where the superpowers are held by children/teens, who maybe even want to do good but are too immature and overemotional to understand their actions. It'd be sort of like that one apocryphal gospel where Kid Jesus gets mad at a playmate and strikes him down with God's power... but then brings him back to life later when his parents properly explain death's consequences. A work like that might be an intentional reversal of the way that most superheroes are either maturing or mature when they get their powers, but it also could just be someone who came up with that idea from looking at or raising kids and seeing what they do when they pretend to have superpowers. And it's definitely not the case with some character who just... got powers at some other time because the writer didn't care about that part of writing a superhero.

Incidentally, as another example of how Tropers have trouble with writing, here's someone talking about what went wrong with a horrible pony fanfic that they wrote:

quote:

Project Horizons is too large. Simply stated, I messed up. I tried to weave three or four novels into one and it hasn't worked as well as I would like. I would have been much better served writing 4 consecutive novels with one overarching metaplot than trying to get everything in one go. Unfortunately, I was so desperate to keep ONE goal in mind that I just threw them all together.

I also fell prey to the 'Oooh, this would be a cool idea! Let's use it!' syndrome. Cool ideas are cool. No doubt about it, and good writing has cool ideas. However, every time I use a cool idea, it doesn't go away. It becomes one more thing for me to address. And since I want to address everything, the work ends up huge to the point where even I have difficulty reading through it. If I had my druthers, and somehow could rewrite Horizons, things would have been much more succinct. Large parts would have been removed. No zodiacs. Maybe no Flank. Maybe no hightower or Stygius. Maybe no Enclave or Virus. No Hippocratic research. Maybe no killing of stable 99. If I'd been smart and set it five years after the end of Fo E, no Goddess to address.

Maybe it would have been a better story. I dunno. But I do know that writing it has allowed me to realize that this is a problem. If I were not publishing this chapter by chapter, I could do something about it before publication. But then, if I were capable of writing an entire book, editing it, and publishing it then I probably wouldn't have needed to. It's helped teach me to refocus on important things for my next work. Hopefully that will work out too.

You know, it's rare to find someone willing to be even a little self-critical on the TV Tropes forums, so I guess I'll give a little credit for that, but all of what this guy says is very telling about how this community tends to approach writing: you start at the beginning, and you write until the end, and you never, ever stop.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Oh god, Project Horizons. The fact that the author is a troper explains so much, including the disgustingly long TV Tropes page.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Reminder that Project Horizons is fanfic based off of My Little Pony/Fallout 3 fanfic. Also it's full of rape and pissing and making GBS threads with a lot more rape on the top. I know this because a sample was posted in an earlier TV Tropes thread and I will never ever be able to forget what it contained.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reminder that Project Horizons is fanfic based off of My Little Pony/Fallout 3 fanfic. Also it's full of rape and pissing and making GBS threads with a lot more rape on the top. I know this because a sample was posted in an earlier TV Tropes thread and I will never ever be able to forget what it contained.

:allears: that just makes it even more perfect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I've just remembered something which I discovered between this thread and the previous one. I shall share it now. Behold The Stationery Voyagers. I have no idea what this is supposed to be.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

DaveWoo posted:

Have we talked about the Tropes you've always wanted to avert or subvert thread over in Writer's Block? It's the perfect example of what's wrong with the Troper approach to writing. For instance:

Make the character a woman whose superpowers develop at menopause. Now, everyone laugh as you try to imagine Tropers writing not just women but women who are over 50 or so.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

crowfeathers posted:

TLike, I guess you could have a setting where the superpowers are held by children/teens, who maybe even want to do good but are too immature and overemotional to understand their actions. It'd be sort of like that one apocryphal gospel where Kid Jesus gets mad at a playmate and strikes him down with God's power... but then brings him back to life later when his parents properly explain death's consequences. A work like that might be an intentional reversal of the way that most superheroes are either maturing or mature when they get their powers, but it also could just be someone who came up with that idea from looking at or raising kids and seeing what they do when they pretend to have superpowers. And it's definitely not the case with some character who just... got powers at some other time because the writer didn't care about that part of writing a superhero.

I remember seeing someone once write about a mutant who had his powers develop when he was fifty. It was a bit unconventional, but it worked since he seemed to be playing up the whole 'life turned upside-down by unexpected change' thing. Something destroying someone's life works so much better when it's an extremely established one, and it works with the metaphor for homosexuality that seems really popular among people writing mutants.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Either way, the Xanatos Gambit is dumb as poo poo, because that tells you literally nothing about what it is. It's a gambit, but beyond that you're kinda hosed unless you remember the exact cartoon these guys do in the exact same way.

My favorite thing about the nerd-worship of Xanatos is that he literally does two things in the first season of Gargoyles.

He engages in business ventures in order to gain profit.

He hires some mercenaries under a fake persona to steal items he wants acquired/attack people he doesn't like.

To Tropers, these things apparently make him some sort of incredible mastermind the likes of which has never been matched.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. I watched the series last year, and it totally holds up, but yeah, when you get right down to it, a Xanatos Gambit is really just making deals, double-crossing, and finding ways to take advantage of any situation. By this logic, Doctor Doom uses a Xanatos Gambit every time it turns out it was a Doombot.

I suppose he comes close when he travels back in time and mails himself the coin that he received when he was young that was so valuable by then that it launched his fortune and oh god what am I doing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I thought the original point of the whole "Xanatos" things was how often he set up binary situations where, either way, he "wins" - you know, that thing every single recurring villain in every series does? It's just that TvTropes missed the point that you're supposed to hate the guy doing the "which one will you save, Mr. Bond?" routine, and cheer when the hero finds a third option.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It's the Troper perspective on fiction, where stories occur organically as a result of another, fixed universe's conditions and not the whim of a human author. So Xanatos's various plots always coming together make him a cunning, all-seeing genius, rather than a pile of contrivances and "That was the plan all along" retcons.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Cease to Hope posted:

It's the Troper perspective on fiction, where stories occur organically as a result of another, fixed universe's conditions and not the whim of a human author. So Xanatos's various plots always coming together make him a cunning, all-seeing genius, rather than a pile of contrivances and "That was the plan all along" retcons.

I'm pretty sure that is another different trope that I can't remember the name of because tropers are horrible and are actively destroying language.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Hoover Dam posted:

Make the character a woman whose superpowers develop at menopause. Now, everyone laugh as you try to imagine Tropers writing not just women but women who are over 50 or so.

There was a show like this. It was called Super Gran.

TVTropes Entry for Super Gran posted:

We don't have an article named Main/SuperGran. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above. Be careful, though, the only things that go in the Main namespace are tropes. Don't put in redirects for shows, books, etc.. Use the right namespace for those.

Well, thank loving god for that.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So, what horrors are Tropers making this November?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Anticheese posted:

So, what horrors are Tropers making this November?

Horror? Let's roleplay with the tropers in this spooky survival horror RP!

Character introductions!

quote:

Saito of Public Security Section 9 found himself on an empty, abandoned and eerily quiet subway station platform underground.

"I thought I was still sleeping in HQ." The sniper murmured, remembering that he was sleeping in a sofa to take a break from a hard day's work when he was in a op to take down a terrorist group trying to take out the Niihama Police Headquarters.

The one-eyed man saw that the place look dilapidated for some time.

"I need to look around."

Saito saw that the abandoned platform had a soda/snack vending machine, a security booth for subway police officers, platform screen doors that blocked off the platform from the rails and benches.

In addition, the sniper saw that most of the entrances/exits were barricaded mostly with lots of debris that it would take a while for him or anyone else to sift through.

Someone must really love us to be here.

For all reasons and intents, the station looks very similar to the pre-WWIII Singapore Mass Rapid Transit station.

Spooky worldbuilding! Who else is joining us in our venture into terror?

quote:

"Those weapons will be the least of my wounds...."

The massive Socialist swept aside his red cloak, revealing his mostly naked and heavily scared body. Demi-human patches of hair, two of which formed patches on his shins, covered his body. It was beautiful.

Why it's Zangief, a character from the famous Street Fighter series of horror games! And who's that over there?

quote:

Singed came to in a strange tunnel of some kind, with some sort of standoff happening before him. I don't remember this map. How badly have the summoners screwed up, anyway? Singed thinks, grabbing his poison gas switch, being careful not to flick it on, and approaching the standoff. These are strange champions. In fact, I can't see their health bar.

Missing health bars? Terrifying!

quote:

Red released three of his best 'mons.

Venusaur entangled the entrance in vines, blocking of the entrance, trying to stop new mooks from arriving.

Blastoise prefered a defensive route, standing guard for the group.

Charizard? He mistook the Napads for steak.

...yes. But I was too scared to continue, so we'll have to stop here.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

crowfeathers posted:

Why it's Zangief

I'm not sure what it says about me that that description of the 'gief is the most legitimately enjoyable thing I've ever seen on TVTropes. I hope that dude just has Zangief wrassle the inevitable zombies of the weeaboo apocalypse.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not sure what it says about me that that description of the 'gief is the most legitimately enjoyable thing I've ever seen on TVTropes. I hope that dude just has Zangief wrassle the inevitable zombies of the weeaboo apocalypse.

Even Tropers can't ruin Zangief. Fact. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Hope fulfilled:

quote:

"Better form, my ugly friend!" Zangief shouted at the charging Napad, "But not quite enough!" The towering communist sought to use the momentum and weight of the bio-weapon against it, using it's slightly superior height as a means of grabbing at it's right leg, and using his other hand to block the corresponding arm's movement by locking the armpit.

If he'd gotten a decent hold, he could use a combination of his own massive strength and creature's own inertia to flip it over on his back.

"You are powerful, monster" Zangief said, grinning. This was just about better than any bear he'd ever fought, that was clear enough to him. "Let me teach you fundementals!"

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Metal Loaf posted:

You know, I've just remembered something which I discovered between this thread and the previous one. I shall share it now. Behold The Stationery Voyagers. I have no idea what this is supposed to be.

That is a loving wormhole to a land of insanity and lovely Sims-based comics.

From what I can gather from the ridiculously extensive trope pages and the literal wiki this guy made for his works, it's someone who is about a 8.33 repeating with a plus or minus five percent on a scale of 1 to Ulililia.

(Note that this is all one guy. 'Dozerfleet' is his name for anything he does.)

Dozerfleet Productions posted:

Dozerfleet Productions is an independent entertainment think tank and warehouse founded on October 12th of 1994, receiving its current name on May 10th of 2006. It has several outlets for entertainment purposes, including a DeviantArt outlet. Showcases of Dozerfleet content are on AmIRight as well. Dozerfleet Productions also has DozerfleetWiki, The Dozerfleet Blog, and a few other major divisions.

Fact of the Month, November 2012 posted:

In October of 2006, it was predicted that the Dozerfleet founder's Facebook page had a greater likelihood of lasting long-term. It was assumed, however, that the MySpace page would also be around for a while. Instead, the latter only lasted three years total.

Fact of the Month, August 2013 posted:

Sodality: Battle for Metheel is the first major video game pitch for Dozerfleet Comics ever to have an article about its premise feature on DozerfleetWiki. While other thoughts did exist for a possible video game, none were taken that far prior. Around the same time, a second game premise was inceived; dubbed The Gerosha Chronicles: Centipede + 49.

Fact of the Month, May 2012: loving Batshit Edition posted:

The so-called "War on Women" that Nancy Pelosi speaks of is nothing more than a buzzword catchphrase for "anyone who opposes the modern-day worship of Moloch that abortion is." Michele Bachmann laughs this off below:

Rep. Bachmann: "There is no 'War on Women'!"

Note: There is...it's called advocating of Shariah law. But the Jihadists get a free pass for it. And then there's Pelosi defending the killing of unborn women.

DVD-Storybook-Hybrid Webcomic posted:

A DVD-Storybook-Hybrid Webcomic, or DSHW, is a special format of online comic, the term being coined by the founder of Dozerfleet on Friday, May 23rd of 2008 around 10:50 PM EDT. A few Dozerfleet works were created using the format. In 2013, further pursuit of the format was put on a shelf, as complications in its improvement and development came to a screeching halt in late 2012. Promotion of the format became even more complicated in April of 2013 with the announcement by DeviantArt of having teamed up with MadeFire to produce the MotionBook format, which was seen as more marketable.

DSHW Version 3 posted:

The planned third version of DSHW comes in two main flavors: Basic and Throwback. Specified along with automation options, there are a total of six children that make up the third generation of this format: DSHW-3-BA, DSHW-3-BS, DSHW-3-BM, DSHW-3-TA, DSHW-3-TS, and DSHW-3-TM. The BM and TM versions would be the most common, since the automation in BA and TA are for very special occasions where full DVD script behavior is desired. The BS and TS would also be rare as those semi-automatic versions are only beneficial for short slideshow DSHWs.

Note that what he's talking about is literally just a webcomic. Maybe with an autotimer to go to the next page.

He has 'history' pages detailing the history of his 'company'.

What's Hot This Year 1984 posted:

The Dozerfleet founder's first high school crush, Carly, was born on March 28th of 1984.

What's Hot This Year 1986 posted:

This is the earliest that the Dozerfleet founder can remember being allowed to watch The Empire Strikes Back on VHS. The brothers were hooked on Star Wars, watching the film repeatedly. The Dozerfleet founder began analyzing every scene that he could comprehend, and found himself both aspiring to one day make a movie as well as having a thing for critiquing film. He wished R2-D2 could have been real. And not understanding cauterization at the time, he found the bloodless amputation of Luke's hand "very unrealistic." A 3-year-old found the scene unrealistic. Other films were watched frequently back then on VHS, such as Charlotte's Web.

What's Hot This Year 1989 posted:

This was a brief move, as the new house wasn't ready yet; but the rent expired on the Kenosha house. A new rental house popped up soon thereafter. This year marked the beginning of the end of Ronald Regan's shining star. Virtually everything he did to save America was soon being undone by the RINO known as George H.W. Bush. However, the Dozerfleet founder was not politically aware in this year; other than being aware that the news media was completely obsessed with this thing called "global warming" that made no sense.

What's Hot This Year 1998 posted:

The new kids, with one girl in particular being a ringleader, lured several of the main class to a party. At said party, they passed around illegally-obtained cigarettes and encouraged the kids to smoke. In the case of some, they practically hazed/blackmailed them into trying it. Foolishly, but also out of rebellion for the school being "stupidly strict" about its enforcement of even the pettiest regulations, the kids decided to act out and accept the offer.

Carly was at the party briefly, but left before the smokes started being distributed. Nobody could prove that she'd ever done a single stick; but that didn't stop the other kids from holding a grudge against her for not being caught. Several of the others were caught, and the school was terrified of the bad press it would get if its enrolled students were to be found engaging in such behavior literally anywhere. So to "save face," it took the extreme measure of having every student that was caught smoking be suspended for a full week. The ringleader/mastermind students, all of them the new ones that the liberals wanted, were expelled on the spot, especially when they showed blatant disrespect for authority upon being caught.

What's Hot This Year 1999 posted:

As the end of school neared, she felt she needed to get it off her chest. Carly informed the Dozerfleet founder that she would not be returning to SML for the fall of 1999. After all they'd been through together, it shocked him that this would be it. In the days before Comcast Xfinity high-speed internet at the Grand Ledge House, there was only the 1995-purchased Compaq Presario. It had dial-up, and ran old-school CompuServe. That was pretty much it as far as Internet access. Carly herself didn't really have much in the way of web access either. There was no Facebook or MySpace or Pinterest or Google+. Cell phones were not ubiquitous. Long distance landline calls were a fortune. Though she was only 14-some miles away, she may as well have been moving to the moon.

[He decides to write a newsletter to her to stay in touch.]

The hopes behind this newsletter was that she'd be touched, and want to respond in kind by writing her own. She actually very seldom wrote back, causing the Dozerfleet founder to wonder what the heck was going on. However, he was stubborn about giving her benefit of the doubt; no matter how many others both at school and within his family wanted her dismissed entirely.

What's Hot This Year 1999 posted:

[He starts working at a grocery store and injures his leg while mowing the lawn.]

The lawn mower accident had repercussions outside of simply having to wear an unpleasant cast. The Dozerfleet founder was originally going to be starting work at Meijer in June. His start date was moved to July 19th because of the injury. While Doug and Cindy, the two main managers, were fairly understanding; Scott was a bit of a jerk about it. As the Dozerfleet founder was healing, he wanted to visit Carly in person.

His grandmother made him promise not to enter her house unless someone else was there. But he didn't think to ask her if she was alone or not over the phone because he feared that would sound weird.

Upon biking to her house, being careful not to rip any of the few-remaining stitches, he found she was alone, and standing around wearing a yellow bath robe. She offered to invite him in, but he decided against it because he didn't want to lie to his grandma.

They talked for a bit outside, but the mosquitoes were really think and began biting her. He decided to end their time together on the porch prematurely, since she was getting eaten alive and didn't appreciate his reluctance to step inside where it was safe.

He told his grandma how terrible it was to force Carly to have to get bitten; but the grandma didn't care. She was more worried that *someone* somewhere was going to start spreading rumors if the Dozerfleet founder went inside Carly's house. And that "mattered more" than the actual harm done by causing a girl to get eaten alive by mosquitoes. It was the first time he'd ever actually regretted listening to his grandma's advice.

What's Hot This Year 2000 posted:

When the Dozerfleet founder visited Carly in the summer of 2000, he asked her if she'd read the recent issue about the inception of Stationery Voyagers. She seemed confused. He walked away, convinced that she didn't care. After all, she wasn't even bothering to read Yo-Splaz! anymore. If she cared, she wouldn't be so clueless. Deep down, he cared about her, and always would. But it hurt too much to think about. So he tried to bury his feelings for her, and find someone else to care about. Purging his need for Carly would prove a fruitless exercise, however. The other girls at SML were not the innocent creatures that were advertised. There were constantly on the prowl, looking for bad boys that they could use. These girls had issues with their home lives, and wanted to act out by drinking and having sex without getting in trouble. The boys at SML, for the most part, were too squeaky clean for purposes of that agenda. And since the Dozerfleet founder was practically a Boy Scout compared to what they wanted, he stood no chance and had no credibility with them. The flirting process went nowhere, providing a constant source of frustration.

You hear that Carly? TRIVIAL :supaburn:

What's Hot This Year 2001 posted:

[He starts getting feelings for a friend's sister.]

Taking its name from two different inspirations, Dolphinformia became the replacement newsletter for Yo-Splaz!. This time around, a simplified version of the former was being mailed and addressed to Emily, as the Dozerfleet founder hoped that this second love would stand a better chance than the first one.

Emily wrote back more often than Carly did, but still wrote back only sparingly and gave out very few details.

The two sources for its name were "Every Other Time" by LFO and the The Patriot Post, which featured a section dubbed "Dezinformatsia."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

crowfeathers posted:

Hope fulfilled:
I like how Zangief is always described by his political affiliation.

"The big socialist piledrivered the zombie ..."
"The doddering crypto-anarchist shouted very loudly ..."
"The huge democrat swung the chain horizontally ..."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please tell me you have a link to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Oh man this Dozerfleet stuff is amazing. It's like if Henry Darger was a troper.

quote:

Cataclysmic Gerosha is one of many narrative universes to comprise the overall Gerosha multiverse, homeworld of The Gerosha Chronicles in Dozerfleet Comics, with the Earth number designation of Earth-G7. It is a deviation from the historical timeline in Comprehensive Gerosha, predicting a very different world. Comprehensive Gerosha was based on the assumption of a thriving US economy following a victory by Romney for president in 2012. When that didn't happen, there were suspicions that much of the continuity beyond the year 2018 would be unreliable. Therefore, Cataclysmic Gerosha reimagines the Ciem mythos in particular around the premise that Obama's winning of a second term will lead to the United States being dissolved in the year 2018.

THANKS OBAMA, NOW MY CONTINUITY IS hosed

quote:

Early history

At some point in the past, the Marlquaan was put in place by God in the event of a event that would happen near the end of time. However, the risk it posed was that it would find ways to invariably be used before its intended purpose.

'Marlquaan' links to a page under construction.

quote:

Candi is the single most-frequently-decapitated character second only to Laura Herrante in Stationery Voyagers: Final Hope. The Hebbleskins have specific orders for how they want her beheading carried out: fully nude, on a block, her facing down, the ax falling down on her from her left side, head into a basket, no blindfold. To date, counting all versions of the character, her head has been chopped off 13 times.

:stare:

quote:

Due to Sam's history of being a (mostly) mute serial rapist, he and his bond to the Marlquaan are cursed. His descendants have a supernaturally intensified libido that complicates their lives. If they live in a sex-obsessed culture, this problem increases ten-fold. Any daughter of any descendant of Samuel will merely be plagued with a libido powerful enough to make her consider foregoing self-respect. Any son, if conceived in rape, will be prone to becoming a mute serial rapist like his father.

:stonk:

...I unironically love the titles he comes up with, though. 'Vile Magenta Cloak'. '90 Has No Secant'. 'Caloric Attitudes'. Also there is a character called Sniperbadger which is badass ok

• Locked thread