Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE posted:

That would be way too cool a twist for this show. If they did that right that would have been awesome.

I used to really not mind the Charmings, especially after season 1 when they were the pinnacle of annoying and the obnoxious soap opera story got dropped. I thought Daddy Charming with some balls on him wasn't so bad.

But jesus christ this season have they been annoying. Ever since that wonderfully nuanced scene with Snow White and Regina where Regina goes 'There's darkness in your heart... Here, let me physically pull it out and show it to you, see, right there, some darkness. Yep. Darkness of the heart is this little black smudge somewhere in your aorta.' Snow White's just been a huge pain.

Regina was actually the one who always kind of got on my nerves with the 'I make dumb decisions left and right but look at my sad backstory,' but this season it really feels like the character is moving forward in her arc. By season two it was like they were having her act comically 'evil' for, at times, no purpose at all. Now the more distant she becomes from the Charmings the more we're shown she is growing as a character, whereas the Charmings are now stuck in the melodramatic rut she used to be in. The writers need to understand they're not writing a disney animated movie, part of the fun of writing fairytale characters for a drama is you get to have more fleshed out characters with more layered motivations and struggles and goals. Enough with the 'the power of good' monologues.

Sometimes it's like these writers have these golden opportunities for characterization and then go 'Eh... nah.' You don't need characters to act dumb or obtuse in order to generate conflict; that's not conflict, that's melodrama, and it's the opposite of engaging conflict- it's boring.

I enjoy how they are being called out on it this season. Emma is telling them how can they be so positive when everything is going to poo poo. Also how they are acting like they are her parents, when in Emma's eyes they were deadbeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

fork bomb posted:

They did a fantastic job with the Dr. Frankenstein dimension. I love how it was all gritty black and white. We probably won't go back to that world, but I thought it was very cool.

I heard somewhere that they are supposed to do an "Oz" thing sometime with Dorothy possibly being from that dimension. It was definitely hinted at- one of the doors in the Mad Hatter's hat was a green curtain.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
LONGWINDED MISOGYNY GIMMICK

bobkatt013 posted:

I enjoy how they are being called out on it this season. Emma is telling them how can they be so positive when everything is going to poo poo. Also how they are acting like they are her parents, when in Emma's eyes they were deadbeats.

As obnoxious as the Charmings are this season, this season has also brought some serious catharsis in finally seeing both Regina and Emma team up to stand up to the Charmings and say 'No, that's retarded and we're not going to completely gently caress up our plans so you can postulate on the virtues of being good.'

I really hope they don't backtrack because Emma and Regina make a good team.

One thing I feel they are handling well is the awkwardness between Snow White and Emma. They could have seriously phoned it in with the 'and then she met her parents and they lived happily ever after' but some of the scenes between Snow and Emma have been really effective. They show a real struggle between a mom who had no choice but to give up her kid even if she didn't want to and an adult woman who grew up abandoned and with years of resentment and loneliness. For a show that is sometimes as subtle as a brick to the face and has a weird track of how they handle adoption, the story between Emma and Snow is really well done.

Completely unrelated, but sometimes it's so visually strange to see Charming and Snow heaving and hawing about being Emma's parents when, to me, both actors seem a bit younger than Emma's actress. Not a problem with writing and makes perfect sense in continuity, but sometimes it's so weird. Especially when Charming tries to play the protective dad, like his confrontation with Hook about his daughter- it's weird seeing one man give another man the old 'stay away from my daughter' shpiel when both men look to be the same age and are talking about a grown rear end woman who looks to be a little older than both. But this is really pedantic nitpicking.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

nelson posted:

I liked her when she was a thief on the run who like shooting things with arrows.

You know, now that you bring this up, some of her backstory was pretty decent. Some. But present Snow is pretty terrible all the time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Completely unrelated, but sometimes it's so visually strange to see Charming and Snow heaving and hawing about being Emma's parents when, to me, both actors seem a bit younger than Emma's actress. Not a problem with writing and makes perfect sense in continuity, but sometimes it's so weird. Especially when Charming tries to play the protective dad, like his confrontation with Hook about his daughter- it's weird seeing one man give another man the old 'stay away from my daughter' shpiel when both men look to be the same age and are talking about a grown rear end woman who looks to be a little older than both. But this is really pedantic nitpicking.

Regina's actress is 36.
Emma's is 34.
Snow's is 35.
Charming's is 31.
Hook's is 32.

So, yeah, Emma is older than her father but younger than her mother.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Irish Joe posted:

Regina's actress is 36.
Emma's is 34.
Snow's is 35.
Charming's is 31.
Hook's is 32.

Regina's age is probably the only "accurate" character age since everyone else is supposed to be mid-late twenties. Though the actress who plays Emma has always looked way older than 28, like she has unfortunate genetics or something.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Regina's actress is 36.
Emma's is 34.
Snow's is 35.
Charming's is 31.
Hook's is 32.

Oh no, I absolutely get that. It's just something weird with me where for whatever reason Emma looks older than Snow (to me,) even though she's not. It's absolutely silly. Like maybe I just associate low jaws with looking more mature or something. I watched Buffy religiously as a kid and I can swear up and down those actors looked like sixteen year olds to me even though they were way into their twenties when they played those roles.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I tremendously enjoyed the not one but two "Why would she ever like you, you're just a handsome pirate with a heart of gold?" exchanges. Dude. Have you ever even met a woman?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Like maybe I just associate low jaws with looking more mature or something.

Jennifer Morrison is definitely very jowly and every time she does her confused face I think she looks like George W. Bush. But I think the real "issue" is that her skin isn't perfect like Ginnifer Goodwin's, which makes her look bad by comparison.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

fork bomb posted:

Current season chat: Didn't Pan make a statement about the heart of a True Believer alluding to needing the heart itself?

I've definitely picked up on this vibe the last couple episodes, too. It's just subtle phrasing stuff so far - like, Pan doesn't say that Henry is the Truest Believer, he always says he possesses the heart of the Truest Believer. Which opens up the door to the idea that, you know, someone else could possess it. But hey, no worries, it's not like this is a show that makes a regular plot device of magically pulling people's hearts out their chest. :haw:

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Morrison is definitely very jowly and every time she does her confused face I think she looks like George W. Bush. But I think the real "issue" is that her skin isn't perfect like Ginnifer Goodwin's, which makes her look bad by comparison.

To be fair, I'm not sure Morrison's skin is the issue as much as some weird rear end choices the make up artist does. There are times when they plaster so much colour on Ginnifer Goodwin that she looks much, much older, and not in a good way. That combined with HD cameras don't do any actors any favours. The MUA slips up with Regina's actress a lot, too, and from what I'v seen of her on the red carpet she seems to have perfect skin. In the past a bad MUA could be made up for with soft focus and normal resolution cameras, now, one wrong choice of make up primer and even the person with the prettiest skin looks like they exfoliate with sandpaper.

But holy crap, not I cannot unseen angry Emma and bushface.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

That would be way too cool a twist for this show. If they did that right that would have been awesome.

I used to really not mind the Charmings, especially after season 1 when they were the pinnacle of annoying and the obnoxious soap opera story got dropped. I thought Daddy Charming with some balls on him wasn't so bad.

But jesus christ this season have they been annoying. Ever since that wonderfully nuanced scene with Snow White and Regina where Regina goes 'There's darkness in your heart... Here, let me physically pull it out and show it to you, see, right there, some darkness. Yep. Darkness of the heart is this little black smudge somewhere in your aorta.' Snow White's just been a huge pain.

Regina was actually the one who always kind of got on my nerves with the 'I make dumb decisions left and right but look at my sad backstory,' but this season it really feels like the character is moving forward in her arc. By season two it was like they were having her act comically 'evil' for, at times, no purpose at all. Now the more distant she becomes from the Charmings the more we're shown she is growing as a character, whereas the Charmings are now stuck in the melodramatic rut she used to be in. The writers need to understand they're not writing a disney animated movie, part of the fun of writing fairytale characters for a drama is you get to have more fleshed out characters with more layered motivations and struggles and goals. Enough with the 'the power of good' monologues.

Sometimes it's like these writers have these golden opportunities for characterization and then go 'Eh... nah.' You don't need characters to act dumb or obtuse in order to generate conflict; that's not conflict, that's melodrama, and it's the opposite of engaging conflict- it's boring.
I rather like Snow White/Prince Charming, but the problem is that sometimes they still have Mary Margaret or David Whocaresabouthislastname coming through. So yeah they still kinda suck in the present plot while their flashback selves are much more entertaining to watch (give or take a few from S2). But yeah I agree since they are kinda out of their fairy tale now (by which I mean getting cursed then uncursed and so forth) they should stop being stupid fairy tale characters and become real ones. It's kinda sad to see when their pre-curse selves have a bit more nuance than their post-cursed selves.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I really like that they're finally addressing Emma's abandonment issues. Knowing that your parents had to give you away doesn't magically make a lifetime of loneliness go away. If I was in her position, I don't know if I could ever feel like Snow and Charming were my parents. I think I could feel like they were family but parental feelings from someone the same age as me just wouldn't work.

I still wonder about the family that adopted Emma and then gave her back. Were they just normal horrible people, or is it a future plot point?

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I'm glad Regina learned a new murder trick. The heart thing was stale.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
Petitioning to rename this thread TVIV > Once Upon a Time: The Regina Sass Appreciation Station

Holy crap was that actress dominating that episode, it was incredible. I thought the story was boring as hell but the episode was totally worth it just to watch Regina finally go 'You know what? I no longer give a poo poo. gently caress all you people.' Holy crap was she bringing the sass home. Her yelling at Gold to basically get it the gently caress together was extraordinary.

Finally, the hero we've all been waiting for: the evil Queen will get poo poo done.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 5, 2013

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Petitioning to rename this thread TVIV > Once Upon a Time: The Regina Sass Appreciation Station

Holy crap was that actress dominating that episode, it was incredible. I thought the story was boring as hell but the episode was totally worth it just to watch Regina finally go 'You know what? I no longer give a poo poo. gently caress all you people.' Holy crap was she bringing the sass home. Her yelling at Gold to basically get it the gently caress together was extraordinary.

Finally, the hero we've all been waiting for: the evil Queen will get poo poo done.

Seriously, she was eating up the scenes as Ursula, you could tell she had a lot of fun with that role.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
Oh she was totally having fun and it was just radiating out of her performance, every scene she was in was hilarious and just fun to watch. Every scene that didn't have her in it just seemed sad by comparison and emphasized just how banal the episode was. Her delivery of "I have just spent a month camping with the Charmings!" was awesome.

Also the hackneyed Disney references were at an all time high with just how awkwardly they were put in, but again, bless Lana Parilla she knew drat well how ridiculous she sounded and she brought it home. "Come be a part of this world" "You... Little... Mermaid" I just kept waiting for the actress to yell out "SEBASTIAN! FLOUNDER!" mid sentences.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 6, 2013

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Her yelling at Gold to basically get it the gently caress together was extraordinary.

I thought it was very :3: the way she said "the only way you're going to die is by my hand" (paraphrasing).

The echo cave was cool, Hook is really fleshing out as a character.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
The way the show is edited keeps making me feel like they're going to turn Pan into a mermaid as the fate worse than death. I think because of how out of place the whole Ariel thing felt to what was going on in the main plot.

I really hope they turn Pan into a mermaid.

Also haha Rumple was totally going to make out with Pan's shadow nice job dark one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Troposphere posted:

The way the show is edited keeps making me feel like they're going to turn Pan into a mermaid as the fate worse than death. I think because of how out of place the whole Ariel thing felt to what was going on in the main plot.

I really hope they turn Pan into a mermaid.

Also haha Rumple was totally going to make out with Pan's shadow nice job dark one.

I hope they don't since the show needs a good villain, and the ones they have are the best characters. If they lost Gold or Regina they show would loose a lot of its charm. Also I hope they have this season planned out, as if its like the last season the first half where they are away from Storybrooke is good and when they return it seems a bit lost.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Patchouli Patrol posted:

I'm glad Regina learned a new murder trick. The heart thing was stale.

Snow considering the whole heart mind control thing beyond the pale is pretty weird anyway. It's effective, nonlethal, reversible, and apparently not even particularly unpleasant.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Yeah I definitely just fell a little bit more in love with Lana Parrilla after this last episode. Out-acting Robert Carlyle and seeing her character back to her old ways is definitely satisfying to watch. I thought the actress playing Ariel did a really good job of conveying her wide-eyed naivete and curiosity that I dimly remember from the movie. But using the word "mythology" the way they did felt kind of jarring and anachronistic in the Enchanted Forest, where magic and evil queens and giants exist, but the sea-god is just "mythology" seems weird.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Snow considering the whole heart mind control thing beyond the pale is pretty weird anyway. It's effective, nonlethal, reversible, and apparently not even particularly unpleasant.

Well she's had it done to herself so I can imagine her feeling it's unpleasant. Also the nonlethal and reversible things aren't necessary, and certainly not to be expected when Regina's doing it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Barehanded Brother posted:

Well she's had it done to herself so I can imagine her feeling it's unpleasant. Also the nonlethal and reversible things aren't necessary, and certainly not to be expected when Regina's doing it.

Sure, but Charming has straight-up shot at people, and that's leaving aside the trail of sword-shanked bodies they left in their wake during their pre-curse Enchanted Forest insurgency. That said, I can imagine Snow in particular being a little traumatized by the thought after that incident involving tricking a person into killing their own mother via the same technique.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I'll sign your petition. Regina was loving awesome this week and was looking particularly gorgeous. Lana Parilla delivers her lines so well, especially when she's in full on evil gently caress all ya'll mode. Everything she says just drips with contempt and disgust. I really liked her scenes with Rumple... can we just get an hour of Rumple and Regina every week, with maybe a little Hook/Pan action? I don't outright hate the other characters but I really only tune in to see Regina and Rumple.

Overall a good episode though I thought the cave confessionals were pretty weak especially Snow's.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008

tumblr posted:

the ship name for Ariel x Belle is now “Swimming Beauty”

:psyduck: Where are people getting this from? I know I was only watching for Lana Parilla, but was Belle even in that episode save for the Pan thing?

Lady Frenzy
Oct 25, 2011

Zulander won't know what hit him
Hook's backstory was a huuuuuuuge letdown. Did they just invent a brother for him to parallel the thing with him and Charming? When he told Bae about his family last season, all he talked about was his deadbeat dad leaving him, no mention of a brother. He sure grew up into an upstanding guy though. At least until he decided it was more honorable to be a pirate and steal a flagship than serve a corrupt king (and wow, was that a quick turnabout). I dunno, the whole thing felt contrived.

Almost as contrived as the Hook/Emma/Neal love triangle. Who cares. I just want to see Hook and Neal hugging it out, bros before hos.

Also I saw the spoiler pics and I'm laughing my rear end off at Hipster John Darling

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lady Frenzy posted:

At least until he decided it was more honorable to be a pirate and steal a flagship than serve a corrupt king (and wow, was that a quick turnabout). I dunno, the whole thing felt contrived.

Yeah it felt like I had missed a few steps between "Oh no our king uses POISON! That's not honorable!" to "Imma be a pirate now, the most honorable legit profession there is". I get that this is a fairy tale and so poison is automatically more evil than any other kind of murderering instrument but it still felt strange Hook took so much offense at the way his king wanted to kill people that he had to start a pirate band and harass random people trying to get from point a to b via boat.

Lana Parilla continues to be the best thing about this show :allears:. Like pahuyuth said, making her and Rumple the leads with Hook/Pan as B plot would make this show much better. Granted at that point you have a whole different show, but if they ever wanted to do a "villains of fairy tales" spin-off I'd probably watch that instead of OUAT.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

DrProsek posted:

Yeah it felt like I had missed a few steps between "Oh no our king uses POISON! That's not honorable!" to "Imma be a pirate now, the most honorable legit profession there is". I get that this is a fairy tale and so poison is automatically more evil than any other kind of murderering instrument but it still felt strange Hook took so much offense at the way his king wanted to kill people that he had to start a pirate band and harass random people trying to get from point a to b via boat.

I think it had more to do with the King's bullshit getting Hook's brother killed. It's called vengeance. Harassing trade is a pretty good way of bringing a kingdom to its knees and is going to be the first thing a sailor looking to hurt a king would think of.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
*squeak* *squeak*

Never got caught being a thief. I learned from the best.

*squeak* *squeak*

Are leather outfits ever not ridiculously noisy?

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO

Flatscan posted:

I think it had more to do with the King's bullshit getting Hook's brother killed. It's called vengeance. Harassing trade is a pretty good way of bringing a kingdom to its knees and is going to be the first thing a sailor looking to hurt a king would think of.

Yeah, this is what I got out of it. His brother just died and it was pretty much the king's fault. He's angry, he's grieving, and he's probably not thinking rationally. Suddenly becoming a pirate actually follows pretty well. I really liked Hook's back story.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Flatscan posted:

:downs: that makes a lot more sense. I thought for some reason he only blamed Pan for his brother's death and so when he mentioned the poison when getting his men to join him I thought that his only reason for becoming a pirate was the poison.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

DrProsek posted:

:downs: that makes a lot more sense. I thought for some reason he only blamed Pan for his brother's death and so when he mentioned the poison when getting his men to join him I thought that his only reason for becoming a pirate was the poison.

I mean, the reason was the poison, but he blames the king more than Pan. I think there's other stuff that comes up later during his time in Neverland that makes him not like Pan, if apparently Hook was working for Pan at some point.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Merlinicus posted:

I mean, the reason was the poison, but he blames the king more than Pan. I think there's other stuff that comes up later during his time in Neverland that makes him not like Pan, if apparently Hook was working for Pan at some point.

I'm assuming that Hook started working for Pan out of his own free will. Maybe once he saw what Pan was capable of he wanted to get out but couldn't, since Pan is the only way off the island. Maybe Hook did something extra bad for Pan in exchange for passage off the island. Which I'm sure Pan will threaten to expose to Emma and the gang.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well, I'm marathoning through the first season with my wife. On episode 20 - Charming is the DUMBEST person ever.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

dog kisser posted:

Well, I'm marathoning through the first season with my wife. On episode 20 - Charming is the DUMBEST person ever.

He puts himself off as this really just, righteous person who always wants to do the good thing. In all actuality, what he usually wants to do is the most "lawful" thing, even at the expense of the people he loves. This ultimately makes him unlikable and downright immoral at times.

Lady Frenzy
Oct 25, 2011

Zulander won't know what hit him
ABC's website posted the recap for tonight's episode yesterday, for some reason.

Considering how most of the promos spoil everything at this point I think somebody at the network really has it out for this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lady Frenzy posted:

ABC's website posted the recap for tonight's episode yesterday, for some reason.

Considering how most of the promos spoil everything at this point I think somebody at the network really has it out for this show.

I guess the love triangle got bigger, and I wonder if this means that Robin Hood's son is hosed.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
It hit me the moment they were all together in the mine who those two could be. One tall with glasses, the other smaller. I was about 1 minute ahead of the reveal but I will take it.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
So, Bael was taken to Neverland in place of one of the boys after Wendy came back. Guess that arrangement didn't last very long, seeing as how Wendy aged approximately 0 years before apparently going back to Neverland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO

Merlinicus posted:

So, Bael was taken to Neverland in place of one of the boys after Wendy came back. Guess that arrangement didn't last very long, seeing as how Wendy aged approximately 0 years before apparently going back to Neverland.

It's really disgusting to think how long she's been locked up in that cage. Can you imagine being in a cage that small for over 100 years? It's kind of sickening.

• Locked thread