Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fordan posted:

Still seems like overkill to avoid creating an account.

Nothing is overkill to avoid creating an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
new Remote.app is up! looking forward to trying it out when I get home.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I am legit mad that apps require accounts. Like sure facebook, but a medidation app? That was the latest one that wanted me to create an account. Passwords aren't free don't they realise?

1Password creates free passwords for me all the time! And my lovely @yahoo.com email address that I never check is maintained by Yahoo for free too!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any hints on how to get iWork for free? I set up my new iPad Air off a backup of my old device, so maybe that's my issue. I've tried logging in and out of the AppStore and even logged in as another user, then back as me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Any hints on how to get iWork for free? I set up my new iPad Air off a backup of my old device, so maybe that's my issue. I've tried logging in and out of the AppStore and even logged in as another user, then back as me.

Click on the banners in the store. Don't search directly for it.

Like this one (but on the iPad, obviously)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Thank you. I never would have found that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up: Merging Of Google Voice And Hangouts Will Result Shutting Down All 3rd-Party Voice Apps In May 2014

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does it not annoy anybody else that those banners in the App Store appear to be squished horizontally on iPhones? On an iPad they have an aspect ratio that makes the text look far less cramped.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it looks absolutely awful and is pretty embarrassing to me as a designer myself. However I would love to be a fly on the wall in the chaos that is iOS7 development at Apple HQ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But those aren't free? It's still charging me 9.99 per app, unless it's an air thing only.

Question: what's a good alarm clock app?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Calaveron posted:

But those aren't free? It's still charging me 9.99 per app, unless it's an air thing only.

You have to have an Air or a 5s (maybe also 5c) for them to be free.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

TheJoker138 posted:

You have to have an Air or a 5s (maybe also 5c) for them to be free.

any *new* iOS device. As in, purchased after the announcement. So that includes new 4Ss, iPad Minis, and iPad 2s as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZShakespeare posted:

any *new* iOS device. As in, purchased after the announcement. So that includes new 4Ss, iPad Minis, and iPad 2s as well.

Is that a limited time offer? Because I'm probably getting an air for Christmas.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Is that a limited time offer? Because I'm probably getting an air for Christmas.
No.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Also, if this isn't incredibly obvious, you get them for free on all your devices after you buy one new one. Yay!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Calaveron posted:

They're free from now on. It was an apple event announcement.

(Oops. I should refresh before replying to busy threads)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm now mad that I bought them a year ago :(

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Why don't they just make them free period? I got them free on my new macbook but on my 4s they are still marked as 9.99.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

phosdex posted:

Why don't they just make them free period? I got them free on my new macbook but on my 4s they are still marked as 9.99.

It might have something to do with accounting practices, kind of like how they used to charge for iPod Touch updates. I'm completely guesstimating though.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

phosdex posted:

I'm using my new iPad Air, and I'm still getting the problem with it trying to charge me money. I'm using the banner from the featured tab. Any ideas? I'm upgrading from an iPad 2 to the Air, so I loaded from backup during the first startup.

Edit: Also, I'm looking for a decent app that can play HD 1080p videos, I've tried iMediaPlayer, Media Player, Power Player, HD Player, and GoodPlayer, with mixed results for each one.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

phosdex posted:

I got them free after getting my 5C. If you have a 4S, you've got to be coming close to your upgrade time.

Also not sure if this is super obvious or what but I was then able to download the apps for free on my iPad through purchase history.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

phosdex posted:

Disappointing Pie posted:

It might have something to do with accounting practices, kind of like how they used to charge for iPod Touch updates. I'm completely guesstimating though.

I don't know anything about accounting, but everything I've read suggests that this is exactly what it is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It also may be that Mac versions and iOS versions are really considered separate. The only reason you get them free on all iOS devices you have if you buy one new Device is because they have set up the iOS store to be that way.

Just like if you bought XCOM on iOS you'd have access to it on iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc... but you wouldn't get the Mac version.

No big mystery. That seems to be all there is to it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Maybe since you're coming from a backup it doesn't recognize the device as new? If you have some time could try making a back up, wipe your device. Set it up as new see if it prompts you to download them. If it does them download them. Wipe the device again but restore from back up this time though. Could also try contacting iTunes support. I had to contact them one time about redeeming a code from a Blu-ray I bought and they answered back fairly quickly via email.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Before getting that drastic, try buying a free app from the new device, then check your purchase history for the iWork apps after that. Sometimes it seems to take one Store transaction before a device is tied to your account (if it is, it'll be listed when you click "Manage Devices" under the account section of iTunes.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Well maybe that's the problem. I don't see my iPad listed under "Manage Devices". I'm logged in to my Apple ID on the iPad. I've tried logging out and back in already. Anything else you can recommend?

Edit: Never mind, it picked up after I re-logged in again.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 5, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Fantastical 2 hook into my existing iCloud based Calendars and Reminders?

E: I've never owned Fantastical 1 vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 5, 2013

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Fantastical 2 hook into my existing iCloud based Calendars and Reminders?

Yes. It functions similarly to Fantastical 1. It is moreover a redesign for iOS 7 with a few added features like Reminders support.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'm on the fence about this new Knock thing

http://www.knocktounlock.com/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

feld posted:

I'm on the fence about this new Knock thing

http://www.knocktounlock.com/

That is the shittiest loving website.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Erwin posted:

That is the shittiest loving website.

yeah the website is horrible...

the concept of this app is OK. I used to use my bluetooth MAC address at work to lock/unlock my desktop. it was pretty insecure. this is a step up. but it's weird.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

feld posted:

yeah the website is horrible...

the concept of this app is OK. I used to use my bluetooth MAC address at work to lock/unlock my desktop. it was pretty insecure. this is a step up. but it's weird.

It's really cool and it's worth the price of admission just for how slick the set-up process is and how nicely it integrates with OS X and Just Works™, but I don't know if I'll remember to use it or if it's actually any faster than typing the password in.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
This might be a dumb question, but is there an app/way to play two different sound files at the same time? Specifically, I want to play my ambient music playlist in the background while playing podcasts at the same time on the fly.

EDIT: On an iPhone

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 5, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I imagine the Knock would be useful when I'm at school and have my Mac and phone out, but I honestly can't think of another scenario wherein I'd use it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Can it be configured to unlock more than one Mac at a time? E.g. a laptop and desktop sitting alongside each other?

Insta-buy, if so.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems kinda neat if it works for multiple users, each with their own iPhone and different accounts on the Mac.

The knocking thing is weird though. Is that some built in feature of iOS now?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

smackfu posted:

Seems kinda neat if it works for multiple users, each with their own iPhone and different accounts on the Mac.

The knocking thing is weird though. Is that some built in feature of iOS now?

The accelerometer? I think that's been around for a while.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best app for becoming a better chess player? I don't think playing online would help me much (I know the basics, but whenever I play online I lose within 2 min) but rather against the computer with some sort of help/tips along the way. Is there any such apps?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wow they made the official Twitter app into a cluttered piece of poo poo.

What's the latest and greatest 3rd party app? I've used Tweetbot in the past, and maybe one more, but it's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

The accelerometer? I think that's been around for a while.
More the part about how it can trigger something in an app that might not be running, when the phone is asleep.

• Locked thread