Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Does it have a volleyball scene?

I don't know about a volleyball scene, but they have a "hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" scene in the opening few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

LP97S posted:

For those who don't want to watch the whole movie, watch the first refueling scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pSjzI8BSw

Now watch it 5 more times and you get the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5cEpoHLFOk&t=48s

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some 1,500 secret files, dating back to the years of military rule in Argentina, have been discovered in Buenos Aires.

Transcripts of all the junta's meetings, and a list of blacklisted intelligentsia.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mortabis posted:

They use US Navy-esque aquaflage uniforms for their loving marines

Love that dude's rotated cap, poo poo is fly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:gizz:

Some lucky gently caress just had his next book gift wrapped for him.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I saw this document collection linked elsewhere and thought it would be interesting to the kind of people who read this thread. Not sure how much of it is actually new though. Document 50 regarding the Have Doughnut trials of MiG-21's seems interesting.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

India sends off a mission to mars

I didn't really know India had any stake in the space game, but always neat to see more people doing it. Looks like the main missions will be searching for sources of methane and tracking how fast the Martian atmosphere is loving off into space.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don't know a whole lot about India's space program, but they are so heavily involved in ballistic missiles and anti-ballistic missile systems that it would be weird if they didn't have a fairly serious space program.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

No doubt they're also hoping that major space exploration projects like this will pay off a few years down the line in the form of spinoffs, just like it has for the US.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
India has had a space program for a while. The ISRO was founded in 1969. India's first satellite was put into space by the Soviets in 1975, and the first indigenous object to orbit launched by an Indian vehicle was in 1980. In 2008 they sent their first probe to the Moon.

Their heavy lift vehicle is cool as hell.

Oddly enough I don't know poo poo about the military side of things, though I'd imagine they have legit ICBM's, instead of Pakistan only having SRBM's and MRBM's. Which is all they need, really.

e- Yup, India has two ICBM platforms with a third proposed, while Pakistan only has a proposed design and none in service, per Wikipedia. India's variant is road and rail mobile :getin:

e2- Here's India's first test of the Agni-V, their ICBM platform. 5,000+km range, payload of 1,500 kilos. First flight happened last year, so further proof the arms race between India and Pakistan is A Thing.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 9, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

VikingSkull posted:

e2- Here's India's first test of the Agni-V, their ICBM platform. 5,000+km range, payload of 1,500 kilos. First flight happened last year, so further proof the arms race between India and Pakistan is A Thing.
I know it's an official language, but for some reason it always surprises me when India uses English for stuff like this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlexanderCA posted:

Love that dude's rotated cap, poo poo is fly.

I think it's just so he can pull it over his "other" eye when aiming. I mean that's what we did :shrug: God help him if he (we) forgets to straighten it when he gets up.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
BBC is starting a season of new documentaries and dramas on the Cold War. Just started with a decent documentary 'Cold War, Hot Jets' - On youtube here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSeOcNwmGAk

and if you've got the access to BBC iPlayer (region locked) then its available here,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03h8r3y/Cold_War_Hot_Jets_Episode_1/

There were some interesting interviews with retired RAF crew who flew American recon planes but with RAF markings over the Soviet Union.

Theres also going to be a documentary on the US/UK/USSR submarines of the Cold War including interviews with the crews which should be good.

Baconroll fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 9, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baconroll posted:

BBC is starting a season of new documentaries and dramas on the Cold War.

Great views, and some good commentary from the likes of Peter Hennessy (probably my favorite UK Cold War historian), but what's up with the jojo-ing in the first episode? Postwar rebuilding, Airshows, Civil Aircraft, Spy Planes, it's all over the place thematically. I'd rather have them take on these subjects in either a very strict chronological order, or by sticking to a single theme per episode.

Right now it doesn't hold a candle to something like Wings of Russia.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Koesj posted:

Right now it doesn't hold a candle to something like Wings of Russia.

My favorite part of that series is just how candid it is. "Soviet bombers were not as good as American, so we copied Boeing B-29." "This brilliant design was...not so good."

It lacks a lot of the oo-rah jingoism that other documentaries tend to have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not Cold War, but certainly airpower related.

Today at 6est three of the last four Doolittle Raiders will open their [url=http://www.doolittleraider.com/the_goblets.htm]bottle of brandy and toast their comrades.

For those unfamiliar, the Doolittle Raid was America's first real middle finger to Japan after Pearl Harbor. On April 18, 1942, just four months after the Pearl Harbor attack, 80 piled into 16 B-25 Mitchells and took of from a goddamned aircraft carrier, the Hornet. The distance to fly was obscene: the planes were supposed to launch around 500 nm from Japan, but due to a patrol boat spotting the flotilla the decision was made to launch early...10 hours and over 150 miles early. This was to be a one-way trip with a slim chance of actually landing at a friendly airfield, and as luck would have it, none of the bombers made it that far. Most made it past the Chinese coast, where crews were forced to crash-land or bail out from altitude; three ditched at sea and one made it into Soviet territory, where the crew was interned. One man died bailing out, and two 5-man crews were missing...two men had drowned, and the rest were captured and executed by the Japanese, along with an estimated 250,000 Chinese citizens during the Japanese search for the crews.

The strike was a rousing success. Not because it turned the tide of the war, or because it was a heavy hit against the Imperial Japanese military or industry, but because the message, "gently caress YOU!" was soundly delivered. The Japanese people had been hearing for months that they were virtually impervious to attack; Japan controlled half the Pacific, a good portion of China, and the USSR was honoring a non-aggression pact. A strike on the home islands was completely unthinkable. Most of the bombs fell on Tokyo, but in total five cities were struck...it was a shock to say the least. On the eastern side of the Pacific, the raid bolstered American morale and was viewed with such success that despite Doolittle's expectation of a court-martial (for a stunning failure) he found himself awarded the Medal of Honor and promoted from Lieutenant Colonel to Brigadier General, completely skipping the rank of Colonel.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

It lacks a lot of the oo-rah jingoism that other documentaries tend to have.

I would watch so many more war documentaries and shows about tanks/planes/whatever if they'd just tone down the stupid nonsense. The jingoism and overly dramatic presentations kill a lot of these shows for me.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I love the abrupt music change in episode 6 of WoR when the narrator takes a brief break from talking about the US-USSR bomber race to scoff at the French efforts. :haw:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Not Cold War, but certainly airpower related.

Today at 6est three of the last four Doolittle Raiders will open their bottle of brandy and toast their comrades.

For those unfamiliar, the Doolittle Raid was America's first real middle finger to Japan after Pearl Harbor. On April 18, 1942, just four months after the Pearl Harbor attack, 80 piled into 16 B-25 Mitchells and took of from a goddamned aircraft carrier, the Hornet. The distance to fly was obscene: the planes were supposed to launch around 500 nm from Japan, but due to a patrol boat spotting the flotilla the decision was made to launch early...10 hours and over 150 miles early. This was to be a one-way trip with a slim chance of actually landing at a friendly airfield, and as luck would have it, none of the bombers made it that far. Most made it past the Chinese coast, where crews were forced to crash-land or bail out from altitude; three ditched at sea and one made it into Soviet territory, where the crew was interned. One man died bailing out, and two 5-man crews were missing...two men had drowned, and the rest were captured and executed by the Japanese, along with an estimated 250,000 Chinese citizens during the Japanese search for the crews.

The strike was a rousing success. Not because it turned the tide of the war, or because it was a heavy hit against the Imperial Japanese military or industry, but because the message, "gently caress YOU!" was soundly delivered. The Japanese people had been hearing for months that they were virtually impervious to attack; Japan controlled half the Pacific, a good portion of China, and the USSR was honoring a non-aggression pact. A strike on the home islands was completely unthinkable. Most of the bombs fell on Tokyo, but in total five cities were struck...it was a shock to say the least. On the eastern side of the Pacific, the raid bolstered American morale and was viewed with such success that despite Doolittle's expectation of a court-martial (for a stunning failure) he found himself awarded the Medal of Honor and promoted from Lieutenant Colonel to Brigadier General, completely skipping the rank of Colonel.

http://www.af.mil/live.aspx

They're doing it now. NOW.

McNally fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2013

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I would watch so many more war documentaries and shows about tanks/planes/whatever if they'd just tone down the stupid nonsense. The jingoism and overly dramatic presentations kill a lot of these shows for me.

Me and Rossmum have talked about this before. With WoR it just kinda goes "We have this weapon, it was good but it had problem X, in year A, problem was resolved and combat properties were improved. It served long and faithfully for 4 decades."

while the American show will often blather on more about it's nearest equivalent to soemthign and how much better it is. "Yep, sure thing guy, your M2 Bradley, made two decades after the BMP-1 is better than it. Great job buddy!" :rolleyes:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

They're doing it now. NOW.

Your link is messed up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think General Welsh got a speck in his eye.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

mlmp08 posted:

I think General Welsh got a speck in his eye.

Yeah, it's a little dusty in that hanger.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Tuned in at the exact moment they were opening the bottle; was worried for a second I'd missed it and was watching it pre-recorded, but turns out I just had perfect timing. Sad ceremony.

:pilot::hf::pilot::hf::pilot:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the plane from Stealth hanging over the F22 in the background?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Plinkey posted:

Is that the plane from Stealth hanging over the F22 in the background?
No, it's the Boeing Bird of Prey, a prototype stealth demonstrator/testbed.

e: X-35's in the other wing, this was the Bird of Prey.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 10, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's the Bird of Prey.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, ok I was watching it not full screen and couldn't really tell.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Seriously. If I took most aviation documentaries at face value, I'd believe that literally every aircraft was the best aircraft.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SyHopeful posted:

Seriously. If I took most aviation documentaries at face value, I'd believe that literally every aircraft was the best aircraft.

And this is why no one ever makes these shows about planes like the Vought Cutlass

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SyHopeful posted:

This applies to the 707, A-10, and SR-71.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

holocaust bloopers posted:

This applies to the 707, A-10, and SR-71.

You forgot the YF-23.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SyHopeful posted:

The real problem is approximately every documentary does it. If WoR is the exception - I haven't seen it yet - it's probably the only one ever. I don't get that. You'd think someone, somewhere, would've realized there's a market for, uh, reality.

On the other hand, if you think jingoistic documentaries are bad, hit up Youtube comments to see just how deep that rabbit hole goes :shepicide:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Snowdens Secret posted:

And this is why no one ever makes these shows about planes like the Vought Cutlass

It doesn't even regularly make "World's Worst Aircraft" compilations, which is a goddamn shame, because it deserves it a whole lot more than some experimental one-off project.

I'd watch a Cutlass/Supermarine Scimitar "How 50's Navy Jet Aviation Shouldn't Be Done" show all day.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Slo-Tek posted:

It doesn't even regularly make "World's Worst Aircraft" compilations, which is a goddamn shame, because it deserves it a whole lot more than some experimental one-off project.

I'd watch a Cutlass/Supermarine Scimitar "How 50's Navy Jet Aviation Shouldn't Be Done" show all day.

It's because there were too drat many fifties-era naval jets and they're a pain to keep straight. :catbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'd like to see a list of the worst Cold War planes, both com bloc and western.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

priznat posted:

I'd like to see a list of the worst Cold War planes, both com bloc and western.

Same.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, what are our nominations?

I put the Scimitar and Gutlass up for one and two, just because they had decent sized production runs and lost near half the airframes in accidents even with very very short service lives.

Bunch of bad shortlived Grumman cats, the McDonnell Banshee and Demon weren't much account.

The A-5 was pretty miserable (but awesome)

A lot of 50's stuff was bad because 50's engines were bad. The Tradewind would have been obsolete and useless without bad engines, but with bad engines I think it makes the list.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Starfighters had terrible loss rates but a lot of that was using them improperly. They're pretty cool looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Does the Yak-38 count?