Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yes, please, please! My FC is 2836-1372-5361

By the way, a couple of times I've gone into GTS looking for Vivillons, I'll find a trade, and I'll have a Pokemon that meets the requirements (for example, one guy asked for a 31-40 Ditto, I had a level 33 one) and when I try to complete the trade it says "This Pokemon cannot be traded!" This is definitely different from a couple of times when I see a new trade up and pick a matching Pokemon and it says "The trade has already been completed." What is the problem I'm having?

I'm actually having this same problem trying to do a trade. I go to complete it and it says "You have a Pokemon in your party that cannot be traded!" I've only got a Pidgey and an Aegislash in my party, but I am also trying to trade a Ditto which seems like an oddly specific connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ew. I might even release that one if I got it, it's so god drat tacky and hideous.

I want one so I can make my foes quit in disgust.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

What HMs do I need for Victory Road?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Does anyone have an answer to my question on the previous page?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

When trying to breed good IV'd Pokemon with certain natures AND certain moves... Is it better to breed for the moves first, and THEN optimize EVs and natures, or is it vice versa?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm actually having this same problem trying to do a trade. I go to complete it and it says "You have a Pokemon in your party that cannot be traded!" I've only got a Pidgey and an Aegislash in my party, but I am also trying to trade a Ditto which seems like an oddly specific connection.

I know that Pokemon with ribbons can't be traded, but none of the Dittos I tried to send had ribbons. They were caught in the Friend Safari though, maybe Friend Safari Pokemon can't be traded over the GTS?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does anyone have an answer to my question on the previous page?

Yeah, you can totally do that.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

When trying to breed good IV'd Pokemon with certain natures AND certain moves... Is it better to breed for the moves first, and THEN optimize EVs and natures, or is it vice versa?

If you have a parent with good IV's and the desired egg moves you can do all of those at once. Otherwise I find it faster to breed for moves first and breed for IV's later

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know that Pokemon with ribbons can't be traded, but none of the Dittos I tried to send had ribbons. They were caught in the Friend Safari though, maybe Friend Safari Pokemon can't be traded over the GTS?

I've traded Friend Safari pokemon, so it's not that.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
UA2W-WWWW-WWW2-HWSL

I had absolutely no right winning this fight. 14 rounds we went. It came down to his Greninja vs my Delphox.

Delphox ate a Hydro Pump and lived. :psyduck:

E: I missed one turn since I was typing to a friend as I fought. I only won this fight because Sucker Punch went up against Bullet Punch and failed. I Rock Smashed the first time, but I thought Mega Scizor would die the second time, so I Bullet Punched instead. Apparently the game said "Same priority but you're faster than him, so Bullet Punch comes first and makes Sucker Punch not work." Holy poo poo.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 5, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looking into it some, apparently a lot of people are having this specific issue with Dittos all the sudden. A few other things as well, but universally Ditto.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mlle posted:

What HMs do I need for Victory Road?
You need Surf, but Strength, Rock Smash, and Waterfall will be useful for exploring/getting items.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Looking into it some, apparently a lot of people are having this specific issue with Dittos all the sudden. A few other things as well, but universally Ditto.

That's frustrating, would explain why nobody has picked up that one Archipelago pattern asking for it though. And it's one of the rarer patterns too, ah well. Did manage to pick up a Savannah for my Moltres, which works out fine as I've got four of the drat things waiting for Pokemon Box. Now to figure out what I can get for Zygarde or Mewtwo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's frustrating, would explain why nobody has picked up that one Archipelago pattern asking for it though. And it's one of the rarer patterns too, ah well. Did manage to pick up a Savannah for my Moltres, which works out fine as I've got four of the drat things waiting for Pokemon Box. Now to figure out what I can get for Zygarde or Mewtwo.

Not only is it apparently a problem with trading Dittos, I'm seeing rumors (GameFAQs rumors, so grain of salt and all) that Ditto's giving fits when you try and use it in online battles too. So I guess just generally gently caress Ditto?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Nahxela posted:

You need Surf, but Strength, Rock Smash, and Waterfall will be useful for exploring/getting items.

Thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, this game is so subtly revealing. It's kinda awesome. Like, to see exact EVs in-game, you have to use a reset bag. It's like the game expects you to be wise enough to see those values and then reset without saving.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Watching someone's perfectly groomed Acreus desperately trying to drain all it's PP so it can kill your Shedinja is the funniest thing in the world.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Awesome Andy posted:

got one for you and let me know if anyone else wants one.

Thank you! :)

Is there a goon with the in-game name of "Yoxm" by chance? I can't remember if they're a goon friend or someone who I traded / battled enough for them to be on my friends list but they offered to trade out of nowhere and gave me a Pumpkaboo that promptly evolved and then an error ended the trade. If you're in this thread did you just want to evolve your Pumpkaboo and would you like it back? It won't let me game chat you for some reason and I don't want to take your pokemon if it wasn't meant for me. :ohdear:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

Man, this game is so subtly revealing. It's kinda awesome. Like, to see exact EVs in-game, you have to use a reset bag. It's like the game expects you to be wise enough to see those values and then reset without saving.

What I did (with Super Training, anyway) is math. If you're splitting a set of 252 between two stats it's pretty easy to work out how many battles/rounds of training you need to do and then you can just count that off. Saves you the trouble of having to use a reset bag at all, even if you reset after.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Watching someone's perfectly groomed Acreus desperately trying to drain all it's PP so it can kill your Shedinja is the funniest thing in the world.

How do you even get arceus in this game?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GeckoMissingo posted:

It's probably a simulator match.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

When people say to "get 4000 steps" to make out O-power regen, does that mean where the 3DS is at the home screen but closed? Or do I have to walk around while playing Pokemon?

Do the steps decay and I have to get more or once I'm at 4000 it's always maxed?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

khysanth posted:

When people say to "get 4000 steps" to make out O-power regen, does that mean where the 3DS is at the home screen but closed? Or do I have to walk around while playing Pokemon?

Do the steps decay and I have to get more or once I'm at 4000 it's always maxed?

It means close it and put it in your pocket and go for a walk. The step count, and therefore the O-power recharge rate, resets every day at midnight.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, if I wanted Drain Punch and Dragon Dance on a Scraggy this gen, would I have to breed a male Mienfoo with Drain Punch with a female Scraggy, hatch a female one, then breed that with a male Axew with Dragon Dance?

Our use a Smeargle, how I got Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Dragon Dance.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Basically if you want an egg move on anything, the first thing you should do is see if it's in the field egg group, because Smeargle is pretty much a breeder's dream and they are wandering around right outside the drat daycare.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What I did (with Super Training, anyway) is math. If you're splitting a set of 252 between two stats it's pretty easy to work out how many battles/rounds of training you need to do and then you can just count that off. Saves you the trouble of having to use a reset bag at all, even if you reset after.

See, for me, it's so much easier to just use a reset bag. I'm getting so few EVs (20 from a horde) since I don't have the Maison yet that adding them all up is, for lack of a better word, a task that would kill me from the inside out.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Orchids! posted:

Thank you! :)

Is there a goon with the in-game name of "Yoxm" by chance? I can't remember if they're a goon friend or someone who I traded / battled enough for them to be on my friends list but they offered to trade out of nowhere and gave me a Pumpkaboo that promptly evolved and then an error ended the trade. If you're in this thread did you just want to evolve your Pumpkaboo and would you like it back? It won't let me game chat you for some reason and I don't want to take your pokemon if it wasn't meant for me. :ohdear:

Sorry that was me. I saw your message about Vivillon and got you and Awesome Andy mixed up. I quickly realized the mistake after the trade and exited, but you are welcome to have the resulting Gorgeist :)
I am literally swimming in pumpkinmon

EDIT: Did you want Chespin back?

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 5, 2013

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'm taking a break from breeding Gastlies.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Sorry that was me. I saw your message about Vivillon and got you and Awesome Andy mixed up. I quickly realized the mistake after the trade and exited, but you are welcome to have the resulting Gorgeist :)
I am literally swimming in pumpkinmon

EDIT: Did you want Chespin back?

I wondered about that since you offered me a butterfly next, but you must have closed out of that trade pretty fast because it threw me an error screen haha. The Chespin is yours to keep, it's not max IVs or anything special because I'm not much of a breeder and I haven't finished the campaign yet to get any friend safari stuff... I just bred up a bunch of the little guys to give to people for their dex. I've helped a few people do trade evolutions so I was worried that was what you were aiming for but that we got cut short. Glad to hear we're all good, and thanks for the Gorgeist!

You probably already have Polar and Elegant Vivillon if you're collecting them, but I have extras of both of those if you are in need. Let me know here and I'll hit you up tomorrow or something; it's definitely sleep time for me now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Want me to breed you one? I can't do nature on demand or perfect IVs yet, but I can give you a heracross egg and you can raise it loyal from scratch

Thanks, but I finally found one. :unsmith: I've been breeding some myself now.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, I just finished the Looker story. :unsmith:

drat good music. I wish GameFreak had been doing stories at that level ten years ago. I'd have eaten it up.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Has anyone here ever done the VGCs? Friends and I noticed a while ago that it is being held next year at DC so it's not too far. Can anyone attend or do you have to qualify for it? Also, what's it like? I don't mind sperging out on my pokes over the course of the year but will I have to grind out hundreds of hours on smogon just to get the feel for the metagame and pretend to know what I'm doing?

I have! And yes, regionals are open to everybody, no qualification necessary.
And no, you don't have to grind out hundreds of hours on smogon... you have to grind out hundreds of hours on Nugget Bridge. They specialize in VGC doubles and have some good articles and team write ups on their main page, and the friendly folks on the forums can critique your team (just be sure to include explanations and not just lists of moves).

If you're unfamiliar with doubles mechanics/metagame I'd suggest reading this first http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/double_battles (yeah it's on smogon, not nuggetbridge) Actually this smogon article should probably be linked in the OP. It's the most comprehensive intro to double battles out there and most of it still applies to gen6.

Then move on to the beginner's section of Nugget Bridge (the older ones on the last page) http://nuggetbridge.com/beginners/page/3/

Fox of Stone posted:

Does this mean only new pokemon from Kalos or any pokemon found on Kalos? Oh well, at least my Trevenant, Aegisslash and Talonflame breeding projects won't go to waste.

e:
Kalos Pokedex, not "Gen 6 Available".

Left my browser open before replying. Guess that answers that.

It will probably be open to every non-event/non-cover legendary (over 600 BST, trio legendaries like Suicune and Thundurus are still allowed) pokemon after the pokebank opens up. Funnily enough the fall regionals used Black and White 2, since no one would have time to raise a whole team in less than two weeks.

And another thing about VGC: don't worry about losing, you'll still get to play 6 to 8 rounds no matter what since they use a Swiss system rather than an ellimation based system. The top cuts from Swiss then move on to best of 3 ellimination, but no matter what, every player is guaranteed a full set of Swiss rounds unless they're disqualified for cheating or something.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 5, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Swarm/Blaze/the like bad if there's an alternative? I've got a Durant with Hustle and it seems much better then Swarm.

GeckoMissingo posted:

I was playing White.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Is Swarm/Blaze/the like bad if there's an alternative? I've got a Durant with Hustle and it seems much better then Swarm.

I was playing White.

Depends on what the alternative is. In Durant's case it prefers Hustle but something like Empoleon prefers Torrent because it doesn't have the stats to take advantage of Defiant.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So what's the best spread for a bulky Calm Goodra? Gonna toss Rain Dance/Rest/Dragon Pulse/xxx on her. So far, I have about 120 invested in HP, 100 in SpD and plan to put maybe 200 in SpA and the rest in HP?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Depends on what the alternative is. In Durant's case it prefers Hustle but something like Empoleon prefers Torrent because it doesn't have the stats to take advantage of Defiant.

I thought Empoleon prefers Torrent because it learns Substitute and can do stupid poo poo with a petaya berry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

So what's the best spread for a bulky Calm Goodra? Gonna toss Rain Dance/Rest/Dragon Pulse/xxx on her. So far, I have about 120 invested in HP, 100 in SpD and plan to put maybe 200 in SpA and the rest in HP?

Personally, and it's probably not ~Smogon Approved~, but I'd probably go 252/HP/252 Def to increase the odds of it surviving Outrage from 0% to 1%.

It has a terrible Defense base stat at 60, and Speed is 80. You're probably going to get wiped out by any and every Garchomp/Dragonite/Salamence you come across. Goodra as a whole is kind of bad for a Pseudo, in my opinion. It has great SpD and good SpA, but a lot of its biggest threats are Atk based and its moveset is mostly physical.

That said, I'm not exactly an elite competitive Pokémon player and I could be way off base.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

I thought Empoleon prefers Torrent because it learns Substitute and can do stupid poo poo with a petaya berry.

That too, but the point is on some pokemon those kind of abilities are the best option.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Aurain posted:

Personally, and it's probably not ~Smogon Approved~, but I'd probably go 252/HP/252 Def to increase the odds of it surviving Outrage from 0% to 1%.

It has a terrible Defense base stat at 60, and Speed is 80. You're probably going to get wiped out by any and every Garchomp/Dragonite/Salamence you come across. Goodra as a whole is kind of bad for a Pseudo, in my opinion. It has great SpD and good SpA, but a lot of its biggest threats are Atk based and its moveset is mostly physical.

That said, I'm not exactly an elite competitive Pokémon player and I could be way off base.

I find it to be the opposite, outside of a couple of moves Goodra seems like it learns a lot of special moves. The one I have right now has Thunderbolt, Muddy Water, and Draco Meteor. If I can ever find a Swift Swim Poliwag so I can get a Drizzle Politoed I'll probably give it Thunder and Grass Whip (just for the odd Gastrodon/Quagsire possibility) and take it into the Super Doubles in the Battle Maison.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Aurain posted:

Goodra gets cleanly OHKOed (>100% damage) by every physical Dragonite/Garchomp/Salamence Outrage even if it runs 252HP/252Def Bold so it's probably better to use your EVs/nature to improve its strengths rather than try to patch up its weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
... gently caress. I wanted a Protean Greninja for my team, so I found a Froakie on the GTS labelled "pokerus, 4IV, protean" and traded my Zygarde for it. (I never use legendaries anyway). I got the Froakie, and it has torrent... That shows me for trusting a French person.

Might be a long shot, but does anyone want to trade me a Protean Froakie from the kindness of their heart?

• Locked thread