Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The best part of owning a supermoto is when people ask how fast it is, you can say "it's not" and then just get on to talking about bikes sans all the dickwaving.

Yeah, I guess so. It's just so hard not to be dickwavy. It's a hell of a vehicle. This thing really, honestly goes 180, 0-60 in like 4 seconds or better. 60-120 in 4 more seconds, and gets 50mpg at 100mph. It cost $3000. An oil change is $20 with a $10 filter. It wheelies all day, it's loud when you want it to be, but has low-end torque so you can keep it under 4k and be quiet when you want to. It doesn't have stupid motorcycle electrics. The fact that it was a Suzuki parts bin bike means most stuff for every other anything fits it. GSX-R heads, SV-650 clutches, literally any Suzuki indicators and mirrors. I can't think of anything it's BAD at. Even offroad, it's not terrible, to the limits of the tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lately I've been dealing with a lot of people who pull out into ~*~*~THEIR LANE~*~*~*~ just to not make it all the way in and block adjacent lanes of traffic, sometimes for multiple lights.

I do my best to angrily filter and wheelie past them, but I doubt that helps long term.Take the 15 seconds to go the wrong way and U-turn, fuckfaces.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The best part of owning a supermoto is when people ask how fast it is, you can say "it's not" and then just get on to talking about bikes sans all the dickwaving.

Yeah, I kind of lean this way.

"How big's the engine in that?"
"Three-thirty."
"Can you go on the interstate?"
"You CAN, but it isn't very fun. I like the slow twisty roads."

End of discussion about top speed. The people who are interested in motorcycling start talking about the best little twisty roads; those who only care about how fast you can go make some dumb comment like "hurf durf don't even have enough power to get out of your own way" and don't take up any more of my time.

A couple weeks ago I was talking to another motorcyclist who thought his R6 was "good enough for in the city" but he really needed a literbike; he lost all interest in talking to me about motorcycles when I said I had a 350. I later found out through a mutual friend that he brags about hitting 150 miles an hour on his commute to work and only wears a helmet about half the time because he likes to feel the wind in his hair. It's automatic self-selection.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think I've ever had someone who actually rides ask me how fast my bike is. The people who do are those who have no car or bike interest, and I assume are just trying to think of something to ask.

FormatAmerica posted:

Lately I've been dealing with a lot of people who pull out into ~*~*~THEIR LANE~*~*~*~ just to not make it all the way in and block adjacent lanes of traffic, sometimes for multiple lights.

I do my best to angrily filter and wheelie past them, but I doubt that helps long term.Take the 15 seconds to go the wrong way and U-turn, fuckfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I love "how fast is it" dick waving competitions. With a personal vehicular speed record of 720MPH (GPS verified) I can always prove that I'm the biggest dick*.

This may have been covered already but what is the CA approved response to "My sibling/parent/cousin/relative/friend/buddy/acquaintance once hurt themselves by being an idiot on a motorcycle?"

*Not a typo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KodiakRS posted:

"My sibling/parent/cousin/relative/friend/buddy/acquaintance once hurt themselves by being an idiot on a motorcycle?"

Sorry your sibling/parent/cousin/relative/friend/buddy/acquaintance was a retard who didn't wear gear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I put on a concerned expression and say "ooh, that's rough. It is definitely a risky activity, yep." Their response to that will tell you whether they're just concerned for your safety ("yeah...stay safe out there!") or want to pick a fight over your life choices ("but don't you think it's too dangerous and crazy???")

Some people just don't really have any experience with motorcyclists and don't know what to say. When I started riding one of my relatives said "well, I hope you're an organ donor!" Like...thanks, for the vote of confidence, dude? But then I realized that as an extraordinarily sheltered zero-risk-taking zero-life-experience conservative christian, his brain only has two things under the "motorcycling" category: HELLS ANGELS and GUY WHO DIED. He just picked what he thought was the less offensive of the two.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 3, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's nice being a bike mechanic with those conversations. People know that about you and they don't try to talk you out of it, cause obviously you're not getting talked out of it, it's just what you do.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's also the people who ask me "But what do your parents think about you riding?" like it matters. They're very surprised when I tell them my dad's a mechanic and my parents encouraged me.

(my dad is way cooler than I am if you guys haven't figured out from the pictures I occasionally post)

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Deeters posted:

There's also the people who ask me "But what do your parents think about you riding?" like it matters. They're very surprised when I tell them my dad's a mechanic and my parents encouraged me.

Haha, it throws people doesn't it. I get to do this:

Them: So you got a bike?
Me: Yeah, I purchased my brothers off him.
Them: Man, they're so dangerous. What do your parents think?
Me: Well, my dad purchased my brothers previous bike so that he could buy the one I ended up buying....

Yep, my dad is near retired police officer who commutes year round all weather on a GSXR...!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
A friend of mine from church; his 17 (now 21) year old son was into motorcycles so dad encouraged me to set son on the right track with msf course, gear, learning how to ride etc. My friend and his wife encouraged their son's riding and the son told me that his folks had gotten crap from their circle of friends because they let their kid ride (THE HORROR!!!) a motorcycle.

I guess a product of where I live, I don't get the tough guy "I'd ride to fast" comments. I usually just get the "what kind of bike" questions from people who don't know anything beyond maybe manufacturers or "I bet it's fast" My R1150R tops out at about 125-130 (I'm a wimp I've only gotten it to 110-115)but people see motorcycle and think it can go 180 mph. Like deeters, I've used the "fast enough" comment.

Among the sea of stupid comments I was really flattered the other day at the supermarket when two checkout girls 10 years my junior started fawning over me and calling me a sexy badass for riding in the cold and my Teiz suit. The most hilarious is they both wanted one even though neither rode. I asked why and they said, "It looks really warm."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MoraleHazard posted:

Among the sea of stupid comments I was really flattered the other day at the supermarket when two checkout girls 10 years my junior started fawning over me and calling me a sexy badass for riding in the cold and my Teiz suit. The most hilarious is they both wanted one even though neither rode. I asked why and they said, "It looks really warm."

Silly man, they obviously wanted to get into your suit :heysexy:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Walking around in a full leather outfit is always a crowd pleaser. If I had one as stylish as RevDrMosesPLester's Ducati suit I'd wear that poo poo everywhere.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The other day I was in my garage doing my ritual Sunday maintenance when a family walked by. Their little boy (about 8 or so) started yelling "WOW, he's got motorcycles in there! Nice bikes! Wow!" which quickly led to him just standing at the door staring in with awe. I let him go in and poke at the bikes while I chatted with his parents.
It was pretty cool and reminded me of when I was a kid and loved everything mechanical.

I hope to think I inspired a future motorcyclist (or a future hoarder of broken motorcycles).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

Walking around in a full leather outfit is always a crowd pleaser. If I had one as stylish as RevDrMosesPLester's Ducati suit I'd wear that poo poo everywhere.
I'd wear that poo poo everywhere too but it's a loving old suit and it's actually rather poorly designed. I had to add some armor to it myself with needle and thread, no stretch panels at the joints, not comfortable at all.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Man, what the hell is it with people blatantly lying about the condition of bikes/parts? "The fairings are good, no scuffs or scratches or cracks or anything, the bike is fine" I come out there to behold a bike in the shittiest condition I've ever personally witnessed. Paint bubbles from gas spills on a good 50% of the fairings, cracks at mounting points, dents/scuffs/scrapes, and the metal parts of the bike were so thoroughly rusted you couldn't separate the individual parts anymore.

It's like lying on a dating profile. The other person's not going to ignore the extra 150lbs when you meet.

I went back and pulled this off the ad

"If I wish really really hard, maybe it will happen!"

M42 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 5, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My okcupid profile has accurate pictures thanks. :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Man, what the hell is it with people blatantly lying about the condition of bikes/parts? "The fairings are good, no scuffs or scratches or cracks or anything, the bike is fine" I come out there to behold a bike in the shittiest condition I've ever personally witnessed. Paint bubbles from gas spills on a good 50% of the fairings, cracks at mounting points, dents/scuffs/scrapes, and the metal parts of the bike were so thoroughly rusted you couldn't separate the individual parts anymore.

It's like lying on a dating profile. The other person's not going to ignore the extra 150lbs when you meet.

This phenomenon is so widespread that when I recently sold a givi screen for an sv650 and described it as having no marks or damage, the guy actually walked back to his car and gave me three bottles of beer because he was so astonished that I wasn't bullshitting.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So I'm shopping for my first bike and what I seem to find a lot in the description is "tipped/dropped/crashed by previous owner". Previous owner. Right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bugdrvr posted:

The other day I was in my garage doing my ritual Sunday maintenance when a family walked by. Their little boy (about 8 or so) started yelling "WOW, he's got motorcycles in there! Nice bikes! Wow!" which quickly led to him just standing at the door staring in with awe. I let him go in and poke at the bikes while I chatted with his parents.
It was pretty cool and reminded me of when I was a kid and loved everything mechanical.

I hope to think I inspired a future motorcyclist (or a future hoarder of broken motorcycles).

I park on the street, so a lot of people walk by while I'm doing stuff with my bike. Lots of kids too, most of them just gawk at the weird orange bike sitting there with all the white/gray/black cars.

Some of them get really excited and point and go "motorcycle!" or make engine noises :3:

Even better when their parents think it's cool too and let them gawk for a couple of minutes while I finish gearing up and ride away. I haven't had anyone actually come up and poke at it or anything, but I'd totally let them try sitting on it if anyone asked. Properly supported by a parent, of course, it's a pretty tall bike.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I disclose everything, it's just a waste of time if you don't.

The guy who bought my busted up 240DL a while back said "You haven't sold this thing because you've been too honest about what's wrong with it."

tjones
May 13, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

So I'm shopping for my first bike and what I seem to find a lot in the description is "tipped/dropped/crashed by previous owner". Previous owner. Right.

"A few minor scratches from where my girlfriend dropped it in the garage trying to move it!" You show up and it's got long deep horizontal rashes on both sides complete with cracked fairings and bent levers.

I love the ads that claim that damaged fairings can be completely replaced for $300-700. I offended a seller of a rashed up GSXR-600 by telling him that I would pay close to his listed price if he were to replace all the fairings with OEM and show receipts. I politely declined to go any further with the deal when I realized he wasn't going to agree that Auctmart fairings were not the same as stock.

thylacine posted:

The guy who bought my busted up 240DL a while back said "You haven't sold this thing because you've been too honest about what's wrong with it."

When I listed my last bike I took a ton of photos and detailed anything that was wrong, which wasn't much. I priced it for a few hundred more than what I would have been willing to pay. Someone called the same day and immediately asked "Really, what is your bottom line?" I told him to call back in a week to see if I still had it for sale. He was in my driveway paying me my offering price the next day.

Being fair and honest up front has always worked for me when selling items. The way I look at it is I'm wasting time trying to eek a few hundred more out of a bike I could have already sold. I'd rather have a bit less money in my pocket and able to pull the trigger on a smoking deal than stuck wishing I could purchase something I want because I've been trying to make more of a profit for something I no longer want.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

This phenomenon is so widespread that when I recently sold a givi screen for an sv650 and described it as having no marks or damage, the guy actually walked back to his car and gave me three bottles of beer because he was so astonished that I wasn't bullshitting.

Hah, that's awesome. Now that I think about it, that's probably why all my CL sells went so smoothly. I can't really fathom why you'd lie. The moment the buyer sees that you were playing opposite day when answering questions about the condition, they're gonna 180 and roll outta there. They don't know what else you may have lied about, and who the gently caress wants to make a deal with a dishonest jackass that doesn't respect your time? Ughhh :rant:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've put in the ad for my B6 that it has a dent in the tank and some wear and tear on the seat, because it's immediately obvious to anyone coming to look at the bike and I'm not interested in wasting anyone's time.

But I'm not going to put stuff like "clutch lever is a bit stiff" because that's really minor stuff, and I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of lubing the cable. It's a 13-year-old parts bin bike that was pretty inexpensive when it was new, anyone looking to buy it needs to have at least a semi-realistic expectation of what they're going to get.

Unlike the doofus who insisted that I produce a complete service log for the bike and couldn't understand that I do all the maintenance on it myself. Yeah sure, like I'm going to get totally ripped off by a mechanic for basic maintenance on a bike from 1996 that has had 2 owners before me :downs:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Unlike the doofus who insisted that I produce a complete service log for the bike and couldn't understand that I do all the maintenance on it myself.

I keep all of my brakepad/wheel-mount/oil/whatever receipts neatly in a folder, with the date I performed the maintenance written in large red letters on it. They stack up sooner and thicker than you think, which is great because buyers are always like "OH EXCELLENT, I LOVE RECORDS, DO YOU HAVE MORE??" :downs:, pretend to look at a page or two and set it aside never to be opened again.

I've done this with my cars for a long time now.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm usually way way way too honest. Selling the DRZ, the front wheel had a miniscule leak (as in, it dropped 5 psi in eight weeks) which I wrote as "small air leak front wheel", and the front brake was a little mushier than I liked it (the eventual buyer said he wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out) which I also wrote in the ad. Probably why I never get anything sold. :smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've used "decent working order" then add every upgrade or major preventative maintenance job and then subtract anything that needs fixing or to be replaced. I try not to oversell, but try not to undersell either. Easier said than done.

KozmoNaut posted:

Silly man, they obviously wanted to get into your suit :heysexy:

There are times I wish I picked up riding at 20 instead of 29. Still, I'm grateful that my wife is cool with riding and rides on the back. Beats being the guy who has to fight with his wife/gf/so constantly about the motorcycle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

Out of curiosity:
Being one of the relative minority of ladies that are into bikes and knowing all kinds of shits about them, what's the response from a seller when you call bullshit on them?

edit: I mean, I would expect the sort of person to lie about the condition of a bike to also be the sort who would say, "Run along little lady and bring your boyfriend back so I can tell him about it."

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't bother calling them out, I leave after a polite once-over because it's just not worth my time/effort. You won't change their mind, anyway.

However, last night I really wanted to repeat "bike is extremely clean" over and over while wildly gesticulating at problem areas (the entire bike), eyes rolling violently

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 5, 2013

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Bugdrvr posted:

When I was a kid (maybe 6-ish) I was visiting my grandma, and she was subletting to a guy who kept a bike in the garage, some old UJM I think. He let me poke around just like you did, and even though ~20 years later I barely remember it, I know for sure that was when my love for motorcycles started.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

However, last night I really wanted to repeat "bike is extremely clean" over and over while wildly gesticulating at problem areas (the entire bike), eyes rolling violently
People have different definitions for words. We had someone bring in an old Vespa to have a "restoration" job polished up, finished off kinda. They thought it was mostly rebuilt and ready to go. Maybe just needed some rubbing compound and new grips and a seat, right? Among the things wrong with it were a number of the cables installed with NO OUTER CABLE. Inner cables with no outer cables that were just run through the cable slots in the body. I mean holy poo poo.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

People have different definitions for words. We had someone bring in an old Vespa to have a "restoration" job polished up, finished off kinda. They thought it was mostly rebuilt and ready to go. Maybe just needed some rubbing compound and new grips and a seat, right? Among the things wrong with it were a number of the cables installed with NO OUTER CABLE. Inner cables with no outer cables that were just run through the cable slots in the body. I mean holy poo poo.

Was it a bodge?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

Me too. Since it's not sold yet, it's really time to put away for the winter. The Spring ad will explicitly state "no trades or parting out"; sorry bro, I don't want your drat drums or to try to take it apart out on the street.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I also have an extreme hate on for 2 line ads that are either all caps and/or retardedly vague. Like, do you want to sell your bike or not? Make a loving effort.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
EXTREMELY CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1500 INVESTED, MY LOSS YOURE GAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILL TRADE FOR GOLD BULLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjones
May 13, 2005
There seems to be plenty of these around my area:

2001 chromed and stretched GSXR. 24" swingarm. 360 rear. $10k purple flake pearlescent paint. Never raced.

Will trade for 2009+ Corvette only. DONT NEED TO GET RID OF IT JUST SEEING WHAT IS OUT THERE.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I saw my first stretched bike on the commute yesterday...it looked like a dog dragging it's rear end behind it, all done up in Michael Jordan replica plastics.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I will own at least one in my lifetime.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

I saw my first stretched bike on the commute yesterday...it looked like a dog dragging it's rear end behind it, all done up in Michael Jordan replica plastics.

I gave up trying to find a decent non-streched supersport on craigslist. It was impossible and I had been at it for months. I ended up buying a barelly broken in bike from a dealer in Atlanta for ~2.5k less than anything listed in Birmingham/Nashville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

EXTREMELY CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1500 INVESTED, MY LOSS YOURE GAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILL TRADE FOR GOLD BULLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the guys who are extremely specific in their trade requirements.
CUSTOM BIG DOG CHOPPER $38,000 OR WILL TRADE FOR A BLUE 69 MALIBU FASTBACK 402 STROKED WITH BORED HOLLEY CARB PLUS CASH!!!