Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Probably best to read the whole series first. Overture starts right off as though you already have knowledge of all of the Endless and Dream's minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Anyone reading Brother Lono?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Fables is ending at 150. Thank God.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RevKrule posted:

Fables is ending at 150. Thank God.

I am happy its finally dead, but that means that Vertigo is dead.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am happy its finally dead, but that means that Vertigo is dead.

I've picked up the Wake, Trillium, and Collider from their latest releases, and I hate to say but none of them are really grabbing me. I just hope Vertigo stays alive enough to finish putting out the deluxe copies of Invisibles.

sky shark posted:

Anyone reading Brother Lono?

It was way too violent for me. I expect noir from Azzarello, but some guy gets his head cracked open for no drat reason of page 3 issue 1 or something. No thanks!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Sandman: Overture is going to do some good sales, and I am loving Trillium. The thing is after Fables is done Vertigo needs to get another fan-favourite ongoing instead of all the minis it is releasing. Personally I prefer the minis more but they aren't sustainable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madkal posted:

I think Sandman: Overture is going to do some good sales, and I am loving Trillium. The thing is after Fables is done Vertigo needs to get another fan-favourite ongoing instead of all the minis it is releasing. Personally I prefer the minis more but they aren't sustainable.

I think that's the real reason for the Fables/Unwritten crossover and the Unwritten numbering reboot when it returns next year. They're trying to get Fables fans interested in The Unwritten so they'll transfer across.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Is Fairest ending too? Without Willingham writing it's had some decent arcs.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's also probably because they're moving Fables to a video game. That's one step closer to a tv show or movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Is Fairest ending too? Without Willingham writing it's had some decent arcs.

This interview says that Fairest is ending roughly the same time. Is Fairest worth picking up, then? I didn't want to continue Fables's limpness to another book, despite liking the general concept of the series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did Fables ever pick up and get a story again? I last read around the time Frau Totendecker fought Mr Dark then just gave up.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

Did Fables ever pick up and get a story again? I last read around the time Frau Totendecker fought Mr Dark then just gave up.

Nope, not really. I'm glad it's ending so I can stop reading it. It was one of my favourites for such a long time, that it took me a while to realise how much it had lost its way,a nod then I just continued with it out of habit and loyalty. It really hasn't been that great since they ended the war. I don't really know how it happened, there's so much that could be done with the premise,but it's just so dull these days. Mr Dark was clearly supposed to be the new adversary, but there just never seemd to me to be much sense of peril there, and even Bigby's death didn't feel particularly shocking to me, ant it felt like he was finished with so soon after he turned up.

Plus, Willingham is a creepy weirdo, so there's that too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

krakagar posted:

Nope, not really. I'm glad it's ending so I can stop reading it. It was one of my favourites for such a long time, that it took me a while to realise how much it had lost its way,a nod then I just continued with it out of habit and loyalty. It really hasn't been that great since they ended the war. I don't really know how it happened, there's so much that could be done with the premise,but it's just so dull these days. Mr Dark was clearly supposed to be the new adversary, but there just never seemd to me to be much sense of peril there, and even Bigby's death didn't feel particularly shocking to me, ant it felt like he was finished with so soon after he turned up.

Plus, Willingham is a creepy weirdo, so there's that too.

I read your spoiler and now I have to ask for more details.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

There's literally nothing more to say. It just happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

There's literally nothing more to say. It just happens.

I shouldn't be surprised but drat. No cool scene to accompany it or anything? loving Willingham.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Len posted:

I shouldn't be surprised but drat. No cool scene to accompany it or anything? loving Willingham.

Just be happy it was not a women or he would kill them Steph style.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

There was some kind of fight, but yeah, I think I'd just lost all interest in the characters by the time it happened and it just didn't mean anything. Also, I had to think who did it and how for a moment, so it's not like it really even stuck in my mind. Plus, I don't think it's going to stick anyway.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I quit reading fables when the North Wind fought Mr. Dark. I read the fables/unwritten cross over because I've got unwritten in my pull file and was confused by mr. dark being alive again, I guess this is an alternate world or something? Regardless, Totenkinder's fight at the end was cool but I'm glad I quit reading fables, poo poo sucks. They should've ended it with the adversary signing the fable town pact

Also the ship that sunk twice was really good.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 4, 2013

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I recently found out about DMZ kind of by accident and I'm really interested in it. My main question about it is that is it worth reading it and is it any good?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

So I recently found out about DMZ kind of by accident and I'm really interested in it. My main question about it is that is it worth reading it and is it any good?

I really enjoyed it and its one of the mid to top tier Vertigo series. It had a really interesting premise and had some cool twist and turns.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

He just dies. But... he gets a nice requiem in Issue 134 where he talks to Boy Blue and then finds out Darien (one of his sons) died. Kind of sad. Feeling is that he will probably come back to kill the guy who ended up "killing him" and then the series ends.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I really enjoyed it and its one of the mid to top tier Vertigo series. It had a really interesting premise and had some cool twist and turns.

I dropped out of it about half way through. It may read better in trades. The start of the series is great and I guess it ends strong, but I never picked it back up. That said, It's something I may look into again sometime down the road.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

He just dies. But... he gets a nice requiem in Issue 134 where he talks to Boy Blue and then finds out Darien (one of his sons) died. Kind of sad. Feeling is that he will probably come back to kill the guy who ended up "killing him" and then the series ends.

There is no way that Fables does not end with him and Snow White living happily ever after. I do not think he would have the balls to have a mass culling of his characters, when they can come back at anytime.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not think he would have the balls to have a mass culling of his characters, when they can come back at anytime.

Isn't this how Jack of Fables ended (I have no idea if that deserved spoilertext, but there you go anyway)?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no way that Fables does not end with him and Snow White living happily ever after. I do not think he would have the balls to have a mass culling of his characters, when they can come back at anytime.

Yeah, I dropped the book a billion years ago, but that was a pretty big recurring theme, that a Fable's popularity with the Mundy's lent them a level of immortality.

And that character is certainly in the top tier of Fables, just ask Rose Tyler. :haw:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

whatsabattle posted:

Yeah, I dropped the book a billion years ago, but that was a pretty big recurring theme, that a Fable's popularity with the Mundy's lent them a level of immortality.

And that character is certainly in the top tier of Fables, just ask Rose Tyler. :haw:

I do not think Willingham would let RTD anywhere near his characters.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

screenwritersblues posted:

I've stalled big time on DMZ. The first four volumes are superb, culminating in one of Brian Wood's best arcs in any series, Friendly Fire. The two I read after that were just OK. I'll get back to it but I'm going to finish reading Northlanders first, which has had maybe two bad stories total.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've also been interested in DMZ, and was recently considering getting into it, but I read a few issues of Wood's Star Wars comic he's currently doing for Dark Horse and it's about the blandest, slowest-paced thing imaginable, so that made me reconsider (even though I'm sure DMZ is better, in either case).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't this how Jack of Fables ended (I have no idea if that deserved spoilertext, but there you go anyway)?

Yeah, it completely went off the rails and lost all logic near the end there.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it completely went off the rails and lost all logic near the end there.

Rampant incest will do that.

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
I started buying DMZ after finishing Scalped. I got up to the third volume before I got sick of the main character and dropped it. from what I read it made me feel sad and it never really had any fun moments for me that books like Scalped, or Y, or Young Liars had. By choice, Matt is emotionally and physically stuck in a world that's collapsing all around him and there is nothing for him on the outside...but there is no outside because there is no escape and...ARRRGGGH! It really depressed me.

Not that it was bad though, it just wasn't for me I guess. When I was reading DMZ I was also reading No Man's Land and Wood's Ultimate X-Men which may have been affecting my opinion. All three books had the same kind of setting and I think I gave up on all three without finishing them. It seemed to me like DMZ was Wood's attempt of telling a better No Man's Land, then someone read DMZ and asked Wood to write the same thing on Ultimate X-Men...just more boring.

Maybe I'm wrong on DMZ and it gets better. I thought about giving it another chance but I'm also going to be that guy and say I have no interest in anything Brian Wood writes anymore due to recent allegations to his character.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jason Ray posted:

but I'm also going to be that guy and say I have no interest in anything Brian Wood writes anymore due to recent allegations to his character.

...please elaborate?

Also, it sounds like you'd really dig Transmetropolitan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...please elaborate?

Also, it sounds like you'd really dig Transmetropolitan.

Someone on the Internet said Wood tried to get her to sleep with him at a convention.

Edit: There was something that predated that but I don't remember what it was exactly. I just remember the back and forth about how a random Internet person saying something doesn't make it true.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Later issues of Jack of Fables are worth reading for the Babe pages at the end of each issue.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Molybdenum posted:

Later issues of Jack of Fables are worth reading for the Babe pages at the end of each issue.

It was when I realized I was slogging through 20+ dull pages for 1 good page unrelated to anything else that I realized I should drop Fables.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Len posted:

Someone on the Internet said Wood tried to get her to sleep with him at a convention.

Edit: There was something that predated that but I don't remember what it was exactly. I just remember the back and forth about how a random Internet person saying something doesn't make it true.

Brandon Graham twitter ranted that Wood is mysogynistic. Someone asked why he would say that when Wood has had a lot of female artists on his books, and Graham argued that if he really wanted to give women a chance in the industry, why wasnt he letting them write his creator owned books as well. This all came out of that guy ripping up the Pretty Deadly comic and people claiming (with no basis) that it was because it was an all woman creative team. The whole thing with Graham sounded more like he's got a big issue with Wood aside from what he was talking about on twitter, as this wasnt the first time he had named him specifically about whats wrong with the comic industry.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Skeematic posted:

Brandon Graham twitter ranted that Wood is mysogynistic. Someone asked why he would say that when Wood has had a lot of female artists on his books, and Graham argued that if he really wanted to give women a chance in the industry, why wasnt he letting them write his creator owned books as well.

I agree that the con story is a problem but this is just really absurd. :psyduck: Is he saying the only way for Wood to not be a misogynist would be for him to be an ideas guy?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't think he called Wood a misogynist, just a fake feminist. I don't think he made a great or clear case (which twitter isn't exactly built for), but what I got was that Wood was happy to let women work for him, but didn't help them into positions of power. I think Graham's been silent on the harassment thing.

It could be he just doesn't like Wood, it could be that he knows poo poo he'd rather not talk about. He did say that his girl (Churchland? Church?) worked with Wood and wasn't as bad to work with as others have been.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Yeah, I mostly have a problem with Graham with this type of stuff because he comes off as someone who really doesnt like Wood for some reason. But when someone tried to bring Wood in to the discussion, he told that guy not to. Later during that converstation, another person brought up another guy (im not sure who) who was a friend of of Graham that told him/her that he was going to rape her etc, and Graham at first kind of laughed it off because it was a friend of his. He was being a hippocrite, but the next day mentioned that he was wrong in the way he handled it. I like Grahams work a lot, but he's the typical "hide behind the computer" type dude because he would never call out anyone in person, and doesnt even at tweet the people he is calling out.

Its pretty rich that he would call Wood a fake femenist. Im sure a lot of femenists would take issue with a lot of the work he's done, and I assume that most femenists would agree that the last thing they want is Male white knighting for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Len posted:

Is there more to the story? Maybe I'm a troglodyte but trying to pick up someone up at a comic convention hardly seems like awful human being territory.

• Locked thread