Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Bangkok goon meet tomorrow? Planning to go to an open mic comedy night. More info here.

Edit: Should probably warn you that it might not be funny, at all. Or it might be so bad it becomes funny.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Guessing the latter.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
A ferry from Koh Larn to Pattaya has capsized, and early reports don't look good. I suppose ferries might not be the safest way to travel the Kingdom, after all.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Saw that, yeah. When we hit the once-a-month rate of the Phils I'll get worried, heh.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

That's comforting to know when you're currently in a place where you only can leave via ferry :cripes:

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Ringo R posted:

Bangkok goon meet tomorrow? Planning to go to an open mic comedy night. More info here.

Edit: Should probably warn you that it might not be funny, at all. Or it might be so bad it becomes funny.

What time are you going?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey there long term SE Asia expats, just wanted to remind you about what you were missing back home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-i8xW_1jo

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Ganguro King posted:

What time are you going?

8pm

My number zero eight 221688 one zero

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 4, 2013

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Senso posted:

Bui Vien St. on Halloween night. How I miss it. :ohdear:

I'm guessing Martin took this because we were sitting directly on that table to the left. The street was so full of motorbikes that it was almost impossible to cross. I had to resort to stiffarming motorbikes and climbing over them it was ridiculous. All the Vietnamese people were just cruising through on their bikes to gawk, although there wasn't much to gawk at and then the traffic came to a complete stop. Not really sure what they were trying to accomplish there, it was a pretty unspectacular night. And I took a tab of e but it was actually something else more hallucinogenic and somehow ended up at quiz night at the spotted cow which I failed spectacularly. All in all a good Halloween. oh yeah btw I'm still alive

Play fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 4, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The ferry driver did what every commercial driver does after an accident in Thailand:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/04/terror-sea-thai-tourist-ferry-sinks

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
More protests in Bangkok. This is apparently Silom a few hours ago:

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Is this in response to yesterday's election?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Amnesty Bill passed the House and is headed to the Senate, it's the thing Thaksin's party have been trying to ram through since they got re-elected and it's basically a way to let him back into the country and into politics. The opposition are angry about it. There's some discussion (okay mostly me yammering) in the D&D thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490581&pagenumber=28#post421232004

Takeaway for tourists, avoid taking taxis between about 07:00 and 20:00 for now, heh. Skytrains, Subways, Airport Links and boats - a good time to learn the canal boat routes. The protests are all over town, and school just started again, so traffic's a nightmare everywhere.

EDIT: If you're not familiar, this is a good time to look into the Guy Fawkes mask protest organization here, which is just hilariously, awfully dumb irony when you look at it in context.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 4, 2013

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So am I gonna be screwed getting from mo chit (The bus station, not the BTS station) to silom on Wednesday afternoon? I was hoping there'd be some sort of bus to the skytrain.

So I've spent almost two weeks in northern Thailand, here's some general impressions:

I don't get why farang love Chiang Mai so much. The walled city is massively overdeveloped, and everything outside of it isn't unique or anything. Northern food is awesome though. If you haven't tried Burmese food, the swan(not far from Mike's Burger) is a good place to start; I had a good curry and a very good tea leaf salad. Not too far from wat phra singh, SP chicken has awesome isaan food: order the chicken (obviously), the beef salad, and the son tam (make sure they prepare it spicy). Despite the awful name, Diva guesthouse is probabaly now my favorite place to stay in Thailand. Really good staff, super cheap dorm rooms, and a great group of other travelers.

Samy's is a great place to do a cooking class. 1,000 baht gets you an eight hour class, with a market tour, five or six courses, a siesta, and a cookbook. Everyone shared their food, so I ended up eating a ridiculous amount. Because I cook a lot of Thai at home, I was familiar with making most of the dishes. That said, I still had an awesome time, and this is a particularly awesome way to get your feet wet if you aren't super exposed to Thai cooking.

It sucks I got sick and had to spend an extra few days in Pai. Aside from the scenery, it'd be hard to identify any redeeming qualities. If you're looking to hang out with foreigners all day, do outdoor activities, and eat western food, just go to Phi Phi or something.

Despite being about 6 hours from Chiang mai (and maybe two and a half from pai) via minivan, Mae hong son is definitely worth a look. I originally went to go trekking, but I still wasn't feeling great, so In decided to give it a pass. I did hear, however, that it's probably one of the better places to do it in northern Thailand. Either way, I had a good time walking up to the wat on the hill, strolling around the lake, etc.

Currently in Sukhothai. The despite the fact that the new city is a bit dreary, I like it purely because I haven't seen a single "organic vegetarian restaurant" or middle aged dreadlocked lady. Will visit the old city in the morning.

All in all, a very mixed bag.

Any Vietnam suggestions besides "don't get ripped off/harassed/run over"? I've got a flight in to Saigon, out of Hanoi, and not much in between. Literally any info would be cool.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 4, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Play posted:

I'm guessing Martin took this because we were sitting directly on that table to the left. The street was so full of motorbikes that it was almost impossible to cross. I had to resort to stiffarming motorbikes and climbing over them it was ridiculous. All the Vietnamese people were just cruising through on their bikes to gawk, although there wasn't much to gawk at and then the traffic came to a complete stop. Not really sure what they were trying to accomplish there, it was a pretty unspectacular night. And I took a tab of e but it was actually something else more hallucinogenic and somehow ended up at quiz night at the spotted cow which I failed spectacularly. All in all a good Halloween. oh yeah btw I'm still alive

I think that's Martin in the black shirt, bottom left, he sent me the picture in any case. Good to know you're still alive and doing drugs. :v:

That traffic thing happens on any foreign holiday, their idea of fun on a holiday celebrated by westerners is to go out and get stuck in the traffic. Christmas, New Year, don't take your bike to go downtown it's terrible.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm booking my flights soon. December can't come fast enough.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

xcdude24 posted:

So am I gonna be screwed getting from mo chit (The bus station, not the BTS station) to silom on Wednesday afternoon? I was hoping there'd be some sort of bus to the skytrain.
You'll be fine, don't worry. The bus station is right across from the skytrain and that area is *usually* unaffected by protesters as it's not central or near any major government areas or monuments, but because the land in between is hard to traverse it's about a 5 minute motorbike ride.

xcdude24 posted:

I don't get why farang love Chiang Mai so much.
Shake my hand. You are now in our club. I agree on some of the food, though, especially the sausages, the nam prik and the khao soi. Madame Musur on Rambuttri near Khao San Road does pretty decent Northern Thai food and I often take guests there. Their khao soi is weak, but everything else is pretty decent. Great stall for kghao soi at Ari BTS behind the Thai IRS office, been eating there for years. Four clay pots and some benches, spicy as you like it.

xcdude24 posted:

Mae hong son is definitely worth a look.
Yeah, the Maes are some of the best cities up there - Mae Sai, Mae Hong Son, etc. I also like Chiang Rai a lot.

xcdude24 posted:

Currently in Sukhothai. The despite the fact that the new city is a bit dreary, I like it purely because I haven't seen a single "organic vegetarian restaurant" or middle aged dreadlocked lady. Will visit the old city in the morning.
Grab dinner at Dream Cafe, that place is just awesome and would be a hit anywhere in the world. I usually stay at Lotus Village or whatever it's called and like Sukothai for its quaintness. My favorite Songkran ever was there, such nice people and things still move slowly.

eviljelly posted:

I'm booking my flights soon. December can't come fast enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dW9pUA1BI

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 4, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I don't wanna leave Bangkok. :(

Back to Luang Prabang tomorrow.

e: The German girl says that smoking opium is not addictive, it's just processed stuff that's bad for you. Because, it's like, natural. And traditional.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 4, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Next, she will invite you to go do a cleanse with her, which is healthy because _________.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I wanna find a place in Thailand where I can chill and go snorkeling and see pretty fish in the day and eat lots of local food as well what and where should I be looking at? Not being surrounded by hundreds of other tourists would be a moderate plus, but I'd rather have value and accessibility than solitude.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Pixelante posted:

e: The German girl says that smoking opium is not addictive, it's just processed stuff that's bad for you. Because, it's like, natural. And traditional.

That is the best dumb thing I've ever heard.

well if it's so good for you why doesn't whole foods sell opium huh

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Is she horribly sheltered, or just crazy?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Eifert Posting posted:

If I wanna find a place in Thailand where I can chill and go snorkeling and see pretty fish in the day and eat lots of local food as well what and where should I be looking at? Not being surrounded by hundreds of other tourists would be a moderate plus, but I'd rather have value and accessibility than solitude.
Finch and eviljelly know the life aquatic better, but I think Koh Tao on the Gulf side is your only real snorkeling bet worth a poo poo. On the Andaman side, Ao Nang/Koh Lanta sounds right as Ao Nang is less densely touristed than Phuket. Probably someone will chime in with better recommendations for Koh Lipe or Koh Chang or something. A friend recently did a one-day Similan trip, which sounds like a shitload of overkill because it means hours in a boat coming and going just for a few hours on the water, but Similan is generally considered the best diving/snorkeling spot in terms of what you actually see as I recall.

Now, Finch and eviljelly, please come in and tear me a new one.

\/\/\/ Ah, yeah, forgot about the food. SG is right, islands and beaches have the worst food, typically cooked by recently imported immigrant labor who understandably hate their jobs. It doesn't help that Southern Thai cuisine (where all this stuff is), while often excellent, is a pretty repetitive mix of seafood, coconut curries and heavily spicy/salty dishes. Maybe you could snorkel the khlongs in Bangkok, we have great food ^__^ Might find some nice watches and iPhones.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 5, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the places with a lot of local food aren't big snorkeling / fish areas. Good snorkeling/diving attracts a lot of tourism and a lot of tourists disrupts the quality / price / authenticity of the food.

Your desire to see fish is mutually exclusive to your desire to not be surrounded by oodles of tourists (except for maybe Koh Tarutao, but there are no accommodations there, you bring a tent and food and camp). Your desire to eat well interferes with your desire to see fish but not as strongly.

Food is strongest in the least touristed provincial capitals. Khorat has several food courts (including the AC one in The Mall) that would dizzy you. The city is is a flat cattle/rice place though with not much else to do there, and the only fish are swimming in hot oil. Hat Yai has its stuff more spread out but it has excellent representations of various harder-to-find Southern Thai dishes and a strong ethnic Chinese population (best dim sum in Thailand is there probably) plus a Thai muslim population (no pork Thais lol). Since the fish are mostly in the south maybe you could alternate between the beach for a few fishy days and Hat Yai for a few to eat.

Maybe rank fish, solitude, accessibility, food and whatever else in order of importance for us. I don't think you can have stunning food and stunning snorkeling in the same place (but every beach town does have a few okay places to eat, never a great one, never a lot of funky local ones).

If you decide to go more on the fishy side just ask the Thai staff on the island where they eat. Usually around the hill and down toward the bog they'll show you to a little shanty area where all the staff at the resorts lives and there will be a few restaurants in there that make real Thai food (instead of a pineapple hollowed out with pad thai stuck in there).

raton fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 5, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I had my first run in with a SE Asian deifying Hitler. An Indonesian history major, and I'm still waiting to find out it's a huge troll. Apparently the WW2 book their university used says how awesome he was and gives a very pro... Nazi? I guess not Axis because this person hates the Japanese because of atrocities, but the Nazi atrocities weren't atrocities and were in fact great deeds for mankind. Though this person was shocked to learn that it wasn't just Jews that were killed, that part wasn't so good apparently.

Did i just meet a nutjob? The claim is that the entire department thinks this way. And "all Indonesians..." :rolleyes:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Other goons can tell you more, but the goofball fetish that Thais have for Nazi uniforms is a very different thing from the open anti-semitism you see down in the Muslim democracies to our South. The Thai people really just think it's cute and have no idea about Western history, while the Muslim countries to the South openly sell copies of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion at airport bookstores along with plenty of other HOW THE JEWS ARE STEALING ______ books and things. I have no idea if that's where this guy's Hitler fetish comes from, but given the whole syncretic anti-Chinese/Muslim/anti-Israel/anti-Semitic thing going on down there it wouldn't surprise me.

Note: I am not suggesting that all of Malaysia and Indonesia are anti-Semitic or Hitler worshippers or whatever, just that it seems perfectly publicly acceptable there to openly express anti-Semitic viewpoints and publish stuff that blames the Jews for any old thing.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 5, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

I had my first run in with a SE Asian deifying Hitler. An Indonesian history major, and I'm still waiting to find out it's a huge troll. Apparently the WW2 book their university used says how awesome he was and gives a very pro... Nazi? I guess not Axis because this person hates the Japanese because of atrocities, but the Nazi atrocities weren't atrocities and were in fact great deeds for mankind. Though this person was shocked to learn that it wasn't just Jews that were killed, that part wasn't so good apparently.

Did i just meet a nutjob? The claim is that the entire department thinks this way. And "all Indonesians..." :rolleyes:
Nope, sadly. It's not all Indonesians, but it's present. A big part of it is the COMMUNISM = EVIL narrative that's everywhere. Those crazy Bules say Hitler was a bad man, but he fought against Stalin, and Stalin was a communist, therefore Hitler can't actually be that bad. 'Deifying' is a bit extreme and I haven't seen any active neo-nazi stuff, but there's this quiet undercurrent that the West is overreacting to this whole holocaust thing.

The other idea that's quietly around - remember kids, communism wants to wipe out Islam, and so do the Jewish. Who cares if a bunch of Jewish Communists got killed half a world away? Most of them know better than to bring it up around the Western teachers, but it leaks through occasionally and it's pretty loving horrifying. N.B. THIS THOUGHT PROCESS REPRESENTS FAR FROM A MAJORITY OF INDONESIANS, but it's certainly present.

EDIT w/ clarification: only a minority hold these views, but there doesn't seem to be any major condemnation of them either, and that's how they seem to get a lot more traction in the discourse than they rightfully should, and probably why your man thinks everybody agrees with him.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hah, that's some roundabout logic. They must really love America, then!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pixelante posted:

Stupid things said by travellers I've met:

• How can it be quicker to fly from LA to Sydney going west to east rather than east to west?
  • Lightening isn't the sound of thunder, idiot. Thunder is the sound of lightening hitting a tree.
  • Did you know that ice cream is actually made of seaweed?*
  • Thai people are lighter than Khmers because they eat a different kind of rice.

* May have been said by me. Don't know why I believed that for almost fifteen years.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That last one sounds like something a Thai person told a backpacker, heh.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

ReindeerF posted:

Hah, that's some roundabout logic. They must really love America, then!

America is bad because it pushes it's culture and steals Indonesian gold (Dutch are pretty alright though). This is a friend so I had quite a bit of :doh: However i was asked to give them some books with 'correct' history. So, I'm looking for books that are pretty competent ESL friendly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Senso posted:

I think that's Martin in the black shirt, bottom left, he sent me the picture in any case. Good to know you're still alive and doing drugs. :v:

That traffic thing happens on any foreign holiday, their idea of fun on a holiday celebrated by westerners is to go out and get stuck in the traffic. Christmas, New Year, don't take your bike to go downtown it's terrible.

Hey it was Martin who gave it to me! But yeah I guess some things never change do they. You can change the place you live but that doesn't change the person you are! Which is lucky because I'm not sure im ready to become a vietnamese person

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

At that rate you should've come over to Mae Sot, if only to eat Burmese food much better and cheaper than The Swan. I'm with you on the Chiang Mai thing, though. Good food, some cool sights, but not much else.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Indonesia kinda got hosed over by Suharto's reign, with regards to anti-communism.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
OK followup which Thai city would I be most likely to run into goons who will cater to the fact that I am basically a walking swarm of locusts while on vacation and show me the good stuff?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't know what the locusts mean, but the greatest preponderance of us at any given time are in Bangkok. Mothra's up in the hills near Burma with his child army, Finch and eviljelly are sometimes on Koh Tao romancing Swedish tourists and Chair is in Hua Hin dodging sex pensioners on her scooter. I think that covers our entire population, which averages about 3, heh.

EDIT: Ringo, Ganguro King and I are implicitly in Bangkok, which is where most of the goon tourists pass through.

EDIT EDIT: spog is also around, but never posts here, and there seems to be one or two other goons who maybe live here that show up in the thread from time to time, but I've never been clear on that.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is she horribly sheltered, or just crazy?

I'm gonna go with a heaping dose of sheltered with a liberal splash of not-so-bright.

She isn't going to get me to do a cleanse with her because she's too busy plotting to rescue a starving kitten and nurse it back to health on the porch of her guest house room. Oh god I should probably go tell her not to give it milk.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur teaching English, assuming the locust thing refers to food I'd be happy to show a goon around but I don't know if there's anyone else about here. Bangkok seems to be the happening hub.

Also that German girl sounds like a really special kind of dumb/sheltered. I knew a guy like that who'd gone to Eaton and was pretty much first time really abroad who just seemed baffled by things being different. He wasn't ill intentioned in anything he just didn't seem to have absorbed any kind of facts about, I guess life. Deciding to rescue a cat while temporarily travelling around seems like something pretty doomed to failure and tears before bedtime.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Did you know that ice cream is actually made of seaweed?*

* May have been said by me. Don't know why I believed that for almost fifteen years.

There is actually a thickener (alginate) made from seaweed used in milkshakes and cheaper ice cream, this may be where the confusion stems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MrNemo posted:

I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur teaching English,

Bro, you're doing it wrong