Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

mornhaven posted:

I've never seen this happen, I guess I should switch to stabbing instead of castrating prisoners.

It's not intended, but there've been various bugs relating to it happening (these days it's mostly through events that don't check for it, I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's not intended, but there've been various bugs relating to it happening (these days it's mostly through events that don't check for it, I think)

Judging by the tooltip, it's just an extreme reduction to the possibility of conception, not an all-out prevention; the former is much easier to code depending on how the system is set up (TF2, for example, makes the Spy's backstab do 4000 damage, which gives the effect of an instakill while working within the damage system). Presumably castrated people having kids is one in a billion, but we play so many drat hours that we see it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DStecks posted:

Judging by the tooltip, it's just an extreme reduction to the possibility of conception, not an all-out prevention; the former is much easier to code depending on how the system is set up (TF2, for example, makes the Spy's backstab do 4000 damage, which gives the effect of an instakill while working within the damage system). Presumably castrated people having kids is one in a billion, but we play so many drat hours that we see it.

I think it is/was? more common if the lover event or tumble with a chambermaid event fired for a character as I think they were just a % chance to result in a child.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mornhaven posted:

I've never seen this happen, I guess I should switch to stabbing instead of castrating prisoners.

Castrated men can still have children through some of the special marriage/infidelity events, because they ignore fertility. Those events tend to be extremely rare for non-lustful characters, though.

DStecks posted:

Not true. If your fertility is 0% or less, you will never have children except through events. It's just a bug/oversight that the events that cause pregnancy outside of fertility don't also check for Castrated.

Mailer posted:

France screwed me like this. Conquered the hell out of Burgundy and Brittany but got too big because of it. I can certainly see why in one of the LPs (which used CK2+ I think) the guy never bothered being an emperor and just handed off independent kingdoms to relatives like candy. All the benefits of being automatic family allies and none of the drawbacks of claimants and people bitching over succession.

If you mean Kersch's tutorial LP, he's not running CK2+, but he was running a much older version of CK2. Originally, CK2 only had two empires: the Holy Roman and Byzantine. The anachronistic empires, like Brittania, Hispania, Italia, etc. were added in a later patch. (CK2+ introduced more empires before they were patched into the base game, though.)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

The nice thing about creating kingdom titles is that once you get big, your vassal kings can start fighting their own mini-wars for you. Keep the kingdom on High Crown Authority so that vassals can't war with each other but can war with outsiders, and you'll soon see your vassal kings start conquering stuff on their own. If you can keep the kingdom titles within your dynasty, they'll call in all your family members as allies in their wars as well. You'll have to do some management to make sure that no king gets big enough to challenge you, and you'll have to watch for factions among your vassal kings, though.

I like it when my vassals get really strong and make my borders look like poo poo. Not. Sorry, but I'm a true Map Gamer.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Johan please make ugly borders in the next patch to drive people crazy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cease to Hope posted:

If you mean Kersch's tutorial LP, he's not running CK2+, but he was running a much older version of CK2. Originally, CK2 only had two empires: the Holy Roman and Byzantine. The anachronistic empires, like Brittania, Hispania, Italia, etc. were added in a later patch. (CK2+ introduced more empires before they were patched into the base game, though.)

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I've been casually re-reading that LP and just got to the part where he said he couldn't form an empire until the next patch. Reading through the early chapters I was wondering how stupidly lucky he was fabricating claims. :downs:

I think my CK2+ assumption came from him seemingly being able to form kingdoms anywhere, though cultural restrictions on title creation may have been a newly-implemented feature or something. The patch history on this game seems insane and it makes me sad I didn't join the insanity earlier. None of my tournaments will ever claim the lives of the entire nobility.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mailer posted:

I think my CK2+ assumption came from him seemingly being able to form kingdoms anywhere, though cultural restrictions on title creation may have been a newly-implemented feature or something.

None of the titles he formed ran afoul of limitations. Celts can form all of the British kingdoms, any Christian can form the northern Spanish kingdoms (besides Navarra), and any Christian can form Jerusalem.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm surprised that people wonder about the homosexual trait. It would be normal for a gay man to have wife and children as recently as 60 years ago. They would have lover(s) on the side, but the pressure to have a "normal" relationship is not something only encountered in the middle ages. I think the trait is fine.

Regarding kings in the ERE, of course it get unwieldy if you get too big. But he was asking about his first Byzantium game, and I imagined that he had not yet outgrown the de jure Byzantine Empire. At some point you have to start handing out king titles, but it should not be done at the beginning of the game.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Torrannor posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I murdered my wife and committed suicide on my son's 16th birthday

ck2.txt?

Nah, "I married my sister, now what?" was a better ck2.txt story.

DStecks posted:

Events don't check that AFAIK, so if he had a lover he still might get kids that way. Or if his wife has a lover, he also can get some kids listing him as father and never know better :)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 5, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pyromancer posted:

Nah, "I married my sister, now what?" was a better ck2.txt story.

I prefer this one:

Boing posted:

You can definitely pass it on to your children at least, I had a 1 year old daughter die of syphilis

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: Yep, it looks like my 1 y.o. daughter can get syphilis after all

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The homosexual trait should really be called sodomite and give a religious penalty.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
New CKII diary.

Also, Doomdark finally said something about Decadence:

Doomdark posted:

I have a design for a decadence rework, but I don't know if and when we can slot it in. Not for the expansion, sorry.

Drat!

Hopefully it gets slotted in at some point.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SpRahl posted:

Also this is a game where castrated people can still produce children.
I think they fixed the Castrated or Celibate characters having children bug in a patch. IIRC it wasn't possible to actually reduce fertility to 0 but they changed that.

I guess there might be some impregnate events left that doesn't check for the traits though.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 5, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I realize that in the real-world time period there wasn't a huge presence for Jewish leaders but only two playable Jewish leaders? Seriously Paradox?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

quiggy posted:

I realize that in the real-world time period there wasn't a huge presence for Jewish leaders but only two playable Jewish leaders? Seriously Paradox?

Were there any other landed Jewish leaders in the period, though? I know people have mentioned a small group (count level?) in Ethiopia?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

quiggy posted:

Uh, what exactly do you want them to do here? It's not like they added a plethora of Zoroastrian options for the Old Gods, they can't really help that there weren't a lot of Jewish lords historically.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 5, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kainser posted:

Uh, what exactly do you want them to do here?

Alt-history scenario. More low-level Jewish rulers. Conversion to Judaism. There are options they could have explored beyond "hey here's a Jewish leader and oh yeah you get a second if you have TOG."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quiggy posted:

I'm not booting up the game just to check how much territory Khazar holds in 866, but the fact that there's "one last Jewish Khazar duke" in 1066 implies that there's more than one Jewish Khazar character in the Old Gods start.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I like to think of this that, much like in real life, playing Jewish leaders is going to be playing hard mode to the loving max. I wondering if they will have an ambition of restoring the Kingdom of Israel not unlike the one with the Holy Roman Empire.

I just want to make a character with Strong and call him Sampson.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not booting up the game just to check how much territory Khazar holds in 866, but the fact that there's "one last Jewish Khazar duke" in 1066 implies that there's more than one Jewish Khazar character in the Old Gods start.

There's one last Khazar duke in 1066 for players who don't have TOG. For those who do, there's also the Turkic Khazar Khaganate, which admittedly problem has more than one ruler. That's still a pretty underwhelming number especially for players who don't have all the DLC.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rapdawg posted:

I like to think of this that, much like in real life, playing Jewish leaders is going to be playing hard mode to the loving max. I wondering if they will have an ambition of restoring the Kingdom of Israel not unlike the one with the Holy Roman Empire.

I just want to make a character with Strong and call him Sampson.

They've already confirmed a restoration of Isreal ambition, as well as a restoration of Judah and rebuilding of the temple.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quiggy posted:

There's one last Khazar duke in 1066 for players who don't have TOG. For those who do, there's also the Turkic Khazar Khaganate, which admittedly problem has more than one ruler. That's still a pretty underwhelming number especially for players who don't have all the DLC.

There's only like two Zoroastrians, and only in TOG, and only a handful of most of the other pagans. I'm not sure what you're complaining about, really.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quote:

Right, so, on the subject of Islam, one thing we were quite happy with in Sword of Islam was the addition of the decision to go on the Hajj, with the little adventure and the special trait you got at the end. Naturally, a lot of people thought we should add a similar thing for Christians, so that is exactly what we have done in Sons of Abraham. Christians get to choose between several different holy places.

God almighty Paradox, why don't you just add decadence for Christians, raiding for Muslims, and make every religion play exactly the loving same? It's not like variety is good design or anything.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^ I think you are overreacting greatly here, they are adding more unique features for the abrahamic religions in this very DLC and the Hajj was not in any way a defining feature of Islam in-game in my opinion.

quiggy posted:

Playable Jews isn't the only feature in the DLC. Were you also disappointed over Paradox only adding one or two Zoroastrian rulers in their last DLC?

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 5, 2013

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quiggy posted:

Okay. How many ahistorical Jewish rulers do you want them to add, which historical characters would be removed to make room for those fictional Jewish nobles, and why should Paradox make a default CKII start into an alternate history scenario just to give prominence to a particular cultural, ethnic, or religious group when they haven't done that for any other?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

God almighty Paradox, why don't you just add decadence for Christians, raiding for Muslims, and make every religion play exactly the loving same? It's not like variety is good design or anything.

More! More hyperbole!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DStecks posted:

Christian Pilgrimage was A Thing, though. It's at least nice to have options for more little adventures, 'cos those are always fun.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yikes, I'm sorry for being disappointed in the very small representation of Jewish rulers. Thanks for letting me know what I am and am not allowed to be disappointed about in a new DLC.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quiggy posted:

Yikes, I'm sorry for being disappointed in the very small representation of Jewish rulers. Thanks for letting me know what I am and am not allowed to be disappointed about in a new DLC.

They didn't add India and Imperial China or let me ahistorically explore the new world. I'm so disappointed in this DLC. :rolleyes:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

quiggy posted:

It's just unclear what you were wanting/expecting from it. "Alt-history scenario" is not a reasonable request given that the only precedent was the most poorly received DLC. Was conversion to Judaism even a thing? I thought they were pretty strict about it being matrilineal only.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fool_of_sound posted:

They didn't add India and Imperial China or let me ahistorically explore the new world. I'm so disappointed in this DLC. :rolleyes:

I too don't understand why somebody would want Jewish rulers in a DLC entitled "Sons of Abraham". If the DLC was called "The Silk Road" or something like that and left out China I think people would be understandably disappointed.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I would love a CK2 quality game set in India or Imperial China during a roughly equivalent time period. As part of my improving-myself reading over the past year or so I've been reading some (fairly light) histories of non-European parts of the world and there's some ridiculously interesting material which could easily make for an amazing game.

Or hell, a version of Sengoku which wasn't basically a much worse version of CK2.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quiggy posted:

I too don't understand why somebody would want Jewish rulers in a DLC entitled "Sons of Abraham". If the DLC was called "The Silk Road" or something like that and left out China I think people would be understandably disappointed.

They released a DLC called 'The Old Gods' that added various pagan religions. There are only a handful of rulers for most of said religions, and only two of the ahistorical Zoroastrians. Similarly, there are only a handful of ahistorical Jewish rulers as well. It's really bizarre that you are disappointed that Paradox didn't drastically rewrite history in order to add more Jewish rulers, unless you are also disappointed with the number of, say, Zoroastrian rulers in TOG.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quiggy posted:

It does add Jewish rulers, though - the ones that historically existed. I'm pretty sure CKII adds Judaism but only gives it to like one Khazar duke, so is it really that surprising? If you want Judaism to spread ahistorically, that's what playing the game is for - CKII diverges from history the moment you hit start.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Archaeology Hat posted:

I would love a CK2 quality game set in India or Imperial China during a roughly equivalent time period. As part of my improving-myself reading over the past year or so I've been reading some (fairly light) histories of non-European parts of the world and there's some ridiculously interesting material which could easily make for an amazing game.

Or hell, a version of Sengoku which wasn't basically a much worse version of CK2.

I want a game set in China so badly, so so badly.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

quiggy posted:

I too don't understand why somebody would want Jewish rulers in a DLC entitled "Sons of Abraham".
I guess we are lucky they are adding Jewish rulers then.

e; Expanding the map to India at least would be pretty amazing but probably incredibly impractical.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Okay. How many ahistorical Jewish rulers do you want them to add, which historical characters would be removed to make room for those fictional Jewish nobles, and why should Paradox make a default CKII start into an alternate history scenario just to give prominence to a particular cultural, ethnic, or religious group when they haven't done that for any other?

Uh Aztecs?

Just kidding I agree with you. If the DLC was solely about being able to play as Jews he might have a point since itd basically require Old Gods but its just one aspect of the DLC. And besides there is always the Ruler Designer.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Look, I'm bummed there aren't more Jewish leaders is all. Ok? Cool. I'm shutting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can always make an ahistorical jewish ruler of wherever using the ruler designer and play as them.

• Locked thread