Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's only may 15th and possibly a day or at the most. You'll all be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Vagrancy posted:

Nothing "legacy" about it, they massively upgraded the Gallery's photo editor in KitKat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOs0vLY6FvA

The measure of deprecated should be whether they're active in terms of commits (they are), not whether they're present on Nexus or not.

It looks good, but the Gallery updates in 4.3 ran like poo poo on my Nexus 4. I actually had it crash on me a few times when I had lots of local adjustments, sometimes the UI would have to refresh when I tapped the image to see the original. It sucked because the thing ran flawlessly in 4.2 and 4.3 didn't add that much to Gallery.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Looking to start working out again. I guess fitocracy has become unusable; any recommendations on an app for tracking workouts?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

TequilaJesus posted:

Looking to start working out again. I guess fitocracy has become unusable; any recommendations on an app for tracking workouts?

I use Endomondo for all my sporting needs.
I like it and it's the defacto default for pretty much everyone in my country.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.endomondo.android

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

TequilaJesus posted:

If it's just workouts then I suggest Fitnotes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
According to the spreadsheet, some of you still have invites for Aviate left to hand out. There's some folks at the bottom of that list who would really enjoy one, if you wouldn't mind checking in on that.

Thanks!

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

AnimalChin posted:

According to the spreadsheet, some of you still have invites for Aviate left to hand out. There's some folks at the bottom of that list who would really enjoy one, if you wouldn't mind checking in on that.

Thanks!

Took care of a few

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've got a couple left, could someone post the list again?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a list of recommended apps to replace basic ones like messaging, phone, and the keyboard? I got Textra for messaging, Timely for the alarm clock, and Google photos and I was wondering what else I should get for the stuff like the camera, phone, and contacts

EDIT: Actually an updated list of goon recommended apps would be awesome.

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 5, 2013

Danstanster
Jan 5, 2010

:barf::barf:
Hey guys, I have been searching the forums to no avail, and testing apps too. But my girlfriend needs an Android app that can wake her up in 4 hour increments. She takes a sleep medication, and has issues programming alarms every night for varying bedtimes. Any suggestions?

I am looking for an app where she can tell her phone that she is going to bed, and it will automatically set 2 alarms, one for 4~ hours and one for optimum wake up time at 8~hours.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Gentle Alarm can do quick Alarms that you can set to go off in X hours, has to be done manually though. Tasker can definitely do that for her, you'll have to setup the profile/task but you can then create a widget on the homescreen to trigger it. It's slightly over-engineering what you need but it'll definitely do it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Reposting the Aviate invite spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgjYR_CxjS41dG9iQ1hRVi1CMXZTdTd0YlduNHZ5aXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Danstanster posted:

Hey guys, I have been searching the forums to no avail, and testing apps too. But my girlfriend needs an Android app that can wake her up in 4 hour increments. She takes a sleep medication, and has issues programming alarms every night for varying bedtimes. Any suggestions?

I am looking for an app where she can tell her phone that she is going to bed, and it will automatically set 2 alarms, one for 4~ hours and one for optimum wake up time at 8~hours.

Are you on stock Android? The clock app has countdown timers (click the hourglass icon). You could add one of those for 4 hours and one for 8, give them labels and just have her start them when she hits the hay. Once you stop a timer you can hit the reset icon and it'll go back to the full time you entered, so you don't need to keep setting them up each time.

So it's basically tap the clock, tap the hourglass, then tap both timers to start them. Not as simple as a bedtime button, but it might be an option if you don't find anything better

e- the alarm is an obnoxious beeping if that matters

Danstanster
Jan 5, 2010

:barf::barf:

baka kaba posted:

So it's basically tap the clock, tap the hourglass, then tap both timers to start them. Not as simple as a bedtime button, but it might be an option if you don't find anything better

e- the alarm is an obnoxious beeping if that matters

That's a great work around, thank you!

I'm on iOS sorry for my naiveté.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've always used Cyanogenmod's Torch app as a flashlight, which was awesome and had a lock screen widget. Is there a way to get that app without having Cyanogenmod?

If not, is there a good flashlight app that doesn't have a million ridiculous permissions that also has a lock screen widget?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
TeslaLED

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ante posted:

TeslaLED

Does this have a lock screen widget? I've used this as a flashlight forever but I can't find a lock screen widget for it in my list.

It does have a toggle shortcut so I just put that on my homescreen, but on the lock screen would be nice.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Where do Llama data exports end up? The /sd/llama directory? Do I need to copy and import all of them from my old phone to my n5?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

-Anders posted:

I use Endomondo for all my sporting needs.
I like it and it's the defacto default for pretty much everyone in my country.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.endomondo.android

Seconded. I even paid for pro.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

There any sites I can use to search for apps updated for KitKat?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Just got a an N5 so two things:

1) Does anyone know if the Hangouts will archive SMS convos the same as it currently does with normal Hangouts?

If not

2) can anyone recommend an SMS backup app (like SMS backup+ NOT a complete SMS replacement) that is still updated so it might work with the new Hangouts?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
1. No
2. Dunno, but Hangouts being the SMS app is irelevent, the messages are still in the message store.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
SMS Backup+ has been reported working on 4.4

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Ashex posted:

There any sites I can use to search for apps updated for KitKat?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/31/download-new-google-apps-from-the-nexus-5-dump-search-launcher-and-more/

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Maker Of Shoes posted:

SMS Backup+ has been reported working on 4.4

That is all I needed to hear!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anyone got an app suggestion that will tell me in detail exactly what is using my 4g/wifi data in realtime? Something today has burned through 90% of my triple-size ZeroLemon battery (that usually lasts 2.5 to 3 days on average use) by running the 4g antenna constantly and it's just coming up as 'Android System'. :(

It's happened a couple times before and I'm dying to know what fuckup app is moving so much data.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I've a Nexus 5, I just want to find apps updated for KitKat or using KitKat/N5 features.

Regarding SMSBackup+, I tried restoring messages last night and it didn't work :( Edit: It's being worked on.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Someone might want to do some..err corrective procedures to the aviate spreadsheet.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Splashy Gravy posted:

Someone might want to do some..err corrective procedures to the aviate spreadsheet.

I took care of it, whoever was a dick wad and put that up you just took my wifes goatse virginity.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ante posted:

TeslaLED

Is anyone using this on a Moto droid maxx? I tried all the led methods, but I get nada.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

TeslaLED doesn't have a lockscreen widget apparently, which is a huge bummer. I ended up pulling Cyanogenmod's Torch off of my GNex's last backup. Just sideloading the APK seemed to work fine.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Huh. It was built for WidgetLocker, figured they'd throw it on stock locker, too

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone got an app suggestion that will tell me in detail exactly what is using my 4g/wifi data in realtime? Something today has burned through 90% of my triple-size ZeroLemon battery (that usually lasts 2.5 to 3 days on average use) by running the 4g antenna constantly and it's just coming up as 'Android System'. :(

It's happened a couple times before and I'm dying to know what fuckup app is moving so much data.

You'll probably have to use Better Battery Stats with CatLog to try to find out what's up

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ante posted:

Huh. It was built for WidgetLocker, figured they'd throw it on stock locker, too

Hasn't been updated since December 12, 2011. Long before the stock lockscreen was updated.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
At the risk of sounding like a broken record in this thread, what the gently caress? Google Now has issues tracking packages, we all know. I can only get it to track amazon stuff. But why can't it track Google Play orders? Jesus.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Google Now package tracking has never worked for me. I assume it's because I'm a Google Apps user.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is app ops accessible in Kitkat?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

Is app ops accessible in Kitkat?
No.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record in this thread, what the gently caress? Google Now has issues tracking packages, we all know. I can only get it to track amazon stuff. But why can't it track Google Play orders? Jesus.
I didn't even notice that. Right now I have a Chromebook due to be delivered today with no Now card and a neoprene sleeve for my Nexus 5 due to be delivered on the 27th with a Now card. You're right if anything should work, it should be Play orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LastInLine posted:

I didn't even notice that. Right now I have a Chromebook due to be delivered today with no Now card and a neoprene sleeve for my Nexus 5 due to be delivered on the 27th with a Now card. You're right if anything should work, it should be Play orders.

:shrug:

• Locked thread