Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
1st off - no form. I'd assume Enraged?

2nd - Thunderstrike is on a cooldown. Unfortunately, Lightning Storm doesn't take CC. You might want a spammable power for CC.

For Energy Shield - Phalanx defense is for PA. The one you presumably picked on the actual character is Laser Knight.

I think you need at most 2 of haymaker, uppercut, and demolish. Uppercut is good for getting knock resist, and you can get 2 stacks of enrage from a fully charged Uppercut then Haymaker, but Demolish is a great resistance debuff.

Sooo... yeah. Pick two, ditch one, get Enraged.

Supernatural power will only fire off with Devour Essence. Not sure what to suggest there, Defiance *almost* doesn't need one, particularly if you have knocks.

Some thoughts. Not entirely sure what to suggest - I think I get what you're trying for, but elec and might only have a few overlaps - including Lightning Storm's knockdown advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I realised I had no Enrage and I switched it up a bit. I can't seem to find any AOE that has CS or CC.

The one I landed on was Sparkstorm but it's ranged is so low.

I got inspired seeing some Elec tank steal aggro from me.

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...O0011F03bIm09gO

Name: Starbreaker

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Accurate
Level 12: Boundless Reserves
Level 15: Agile
Level 18: Enduring
Level 21: Energetic

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 17: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality, Challenging Strikes)
Level 20: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Stolen Thunder)
Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Electric Sheath
Level 32: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
Level 35: Resurgence
Level 38: Energy Wave

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Heroic Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Lightning Flash (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jerichojx posted:

I can't seem to find any AOE that has CS or CC.

The rule of thumb seems to be that AoE attacks only get Challenging Strikes; f you want Crippling Challenge you need to look at single-taget (non-crowd control, typically) powers.

Venome Breath and Lead Tempest can take CS, Two-Gun Mojo can take CC, etc etc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Somebody log in and do zombies with goons.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I was browsing the CoT thread just now and they were discussing creepers creeping on female heroes.

I just realised that I did not have a single female hero. Time to right that ratio!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...What's CoT?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
City of Titans: The spiritual successor to CoX, made by fans of CoX.

What I'm more confused about: We have a thread for that? It'd be kind of odd, since they have just completed some kickstarter thing and haven't posted any seeming development on it yet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's less confusing when you consider the heavy goon involvement.

Where is the thread? I can only find the general kickstarter threads.

vvv That's Project Phoenix, which is the same thing with less goons.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 5, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't that the one with the Kickstarter to buy Poser for a bunch of unskilled volunteers?

Do they know they're not legally allowed to use the word superhero?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

City of Titans: The spiritual successor to CoX, made by fans of CoX.

What I'm more confused about : We have a thread for that? It'd be kind of odd, since they have just completed some kickstarter thing and haven't posted any seeming development on it yet.

No, the City of Heroes thread is still kicking around and is basically the CoT thread now.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489336

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

It's less confusing when you consider the heavy goon involvement.

Where is the thread? I can only find the general kickstarter threads.

vvv That's Project Phoenix, which is the same thing with less goons.

Project Phoenix is City of Titans though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't that the one with the Kickstarter to buy Poser for a bunch of unskilled volunteers?

It's somewhat more realistic than that, they're buying commercial-use licenses for Unreal Development Kit and 3ds Max and Zbrush. They're still going with this idea that everyone is going to do all the work unpaid though, which I think is pretty dubious but hey maybe iunno.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aphrodite posted:

Project Phoenix is City of Titans though.

Oh! Wasn't there another one, though?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes there was a thing headed up by Golden Girl or something, it seems to have imploded under all the freak though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Project Superpowers or something, I think.

Edit: Project Awakened.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Project Superpowers or something, I think.

Edit: Project Awakened.

As far as I know, Project Awakened is a FPS-styled single-player superhero game. From what I've seen, they seem to have done the most work on theirs so far. Though, to my knowledge, their development seems pretty distinct from trying to make a CoX replacement.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I remade Colbert into this and I am unsure which powers to take. Worse still, I feel Invulnerability is well not as viable as Regen.

I slowly tick down my hp even with Reconstruction Circuits.

Is this normal?

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J003BIL3bDM438W

Name: Colbert

Super Stats:
Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Marksman
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Wrist Bolter (Automated Assault, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 1: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds, Infrared Guidance System)
Level 6: Invulnerability
Level 8: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Alpha Strike)
Level 11: Concentration
Level 14: Fire All Weapons (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Reconstruction Circuits
Level 20: Overdrive
Level 23: Unbreakable
Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Energy Shield (Phalanx Defense System)
Level 32: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
Level 35: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Lightning Flash

Specializations:
Endurance: Readiness (3/3)
Endurance: Kickback (2/2)
Endurance: Power Overwhelming (3/3)
Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Endurance Mastery (1/1)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Golden Girl's thing is Heroes and Villains. They are also trying to do this thing of unpaid workers putting together a commercially released game, and are building it around Hero Engine. So far they have released no real info beyond that, but of course they have gobs of "ideas and concepts".

e: well there's a camera flythrough video that takes you through a goatse, I guess

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Golden Girl's thing is Heroes and Villains. They are also trying to do this thing of unpaid workers putting together a commercially released game, and are building it around Hero Engine. So far they have released no real info beyond that, but of course they have gobs of "ideas and concepts".

e: well there's a camera flythrough video that takes you through a goatse, I guess

Yeah, that's been a nonstarter since day one.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Of the two, I suspect City of Titans has the higher chance of success. Still only a chance by far though. I have high hopes for it but very low expectations.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I don't see how they can make an MMO for $600K.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jerichojx posted:

I don't see how they can make an MMO for $600K.

Nobody is getting paid.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's still an order of magnitude or two less money than you'd need to make a viable MMO, even if they were aiming for something on the level of a throw-away Korean MMO. Even ignoring things like server hosting, customer service costs, bandwidth costs, billing systems, and all that other poo poo that actually does cost money, there's still the matter of MMO backends and netcode being quite a different beast from normal multiplayer games, requiring much more redundancy and testing. Having it done by volunteers isn't exactly a vote of confidence either, since that either means they're not eating for the months it takes to get the game going, or they're working real jobs to not be homeless and development time increases exponentially.

I mean I can see why people are pining for COH, but there is no loving way CoT is coming out in a form even remotely close to what the Kickstarter advertised.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Here's a semi-old tank build I've been using recently, and have just been marveling in how good it does even against bosses:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...4002smX438W3Ugt

Name: Xenophon

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Glacier
Level 6: Healthy Mind
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Coordinated
Level 15: Impresario
Level 18: Accurate
Level 21: Brilliant

Powers:
Level 1: Power Bolts
Level 1: Concentration
Level 6: Overdrive
Level 8: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 11: Defiance
Level 14: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality)
Level 17: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
Level 20: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Unbreakable
Level 29: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Tactical Missiles (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 35: Sigils of the Primal Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Electric Sheath

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2)
Level 35: Electro Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Tough (1/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

It's basically a pure PBAoE tank. Generates most of its energy by being hit, and doesn't require the user to target anything (unless it wants to use Crippling Challenge.)

The strategy of this is to apply a Force Sheath with a tap of your block, charge in with Sparkstorm toggled on, lay down storm sigils, Power Wave, then just Hurricane the crap out of everyone around you. Even against bosses, without using a CC move, this seems to be pretty reliable at grabbing aggro. This means: A - The build really does that much damage (since I'm actually usually running it in Guardian), or B - Challenging Strikes is stacking its threat effect like crazy, due to Hurricane doing damage ticks like 4 times per second.

Statting is important: Completely ignore doing anything with Recovery, and put mostly everything into Constitution and Intelligence. If extra energy support is needed, put it in Endurance. Dexterity probably wouldn't hurt, either, but definitely make sure you're upping your critical chance. Xenophon here is also partially designed in anticipation for dodge changes, so also focus on boosting Defense over dodge. The current gear it's wearing is a Dodge+ Piece slotted for high defense - The idea is that high dodge chance is good for mitigating low-damage, rapid ticks (like invuln), while high avoidance is good for mitigating big bursts (like defiance). The build's also built a bit in anticipation to Offense stat changes, which probably explains why I decided to double-stack Guardian/Warden trees. Feel free to change one of those to Vindicator or something.

Note that two moves listed up there are striked out. Feel free to replace them with more effective variants: One, Tactical Missiles, is a bit low in its damage output, but I can't find anything more appropriate for a beam robot thing for quickly applying the effect, and the other, Electric Sheath, is just what I have on the character for the heck of it. In exchange, I'd put Lock and Load in its place, or maybe Ego Surge.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I've been playing this for a week or two now and I've got a couple characters in their 20s as a silver account. I decided to grab a 60 day game card off Amazon for $12 and see what I thought of gold. Now I've run into the whole convert your character to gold thing, and I can't seem to find a clear answer as to how many times I can change a character back and forth if I don't change it from an archetype to a freeform. I don't really want to try freeform yet because even the archetypes are kind of confusing from a spec standpoint and I don't have the slightest idea how to build a freeform character. I'm enjoying my characters as they are so far, I mainly went gold for the costume unlocks.

If I convert my characters to gold, will I be able to convert them back to silver later for free? If I do that will I be able to convert them back to gold again if I decide to go gold again? Etc...

Some sources I saw are indicating that the only restriction is that you can only change from archetype to freeform or freeform to archetype ONCE, but you can convert gold to silver and back again while remaining an archetype unlimited times. Please clarify this for me.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jerichojx posted:

So the Amazon vendor the for $11.99 Champions Online 60 Day Time Card won't open and send me the codes.

Any kind US goon can order 3 for me and I'll pay them via PayPal or something?

Did you ever get help with this? I'd like to help you, but it'd be easier to talk over PMs or something.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hey LordSaturn, I don't have PMs but I do have an email!

You can find me on steam @ deathbyra or email junxuelim at gmail .com

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A group of five brave goons did the Zombies pvp event last night, and unfortunately I had forgotten it, uh, requires ten people to queue. Five other folks from a pvp-oriented SG magically converged on our queue (literally within a minute or two, I theorize they are on teamspeak but it might have just been ingame chat) to fill us out. I was on my super-Presence controllery character and somehow I managed to survive almost the entire 5 minutes, but in that time I was awarded the Accident Prone badge:

quote:

Requirements

Receive 1,000,000 damage in PvP

What the gently caress, it was a five minute event. The only other pvp I've done with that character was two (brief) duels with one of LordSaturn's tanks. I mean I feel good that my character survived that long but ... what the gently caress Cryptic, gear is totally off the chain dudes.

Of the various Spectre(?) people I spent time trying to kill, I never managed to move their HP bars down from full that I could tell, despite them being stunned for long periods. They would just stand their and wait out the stun and then teleport away. I did manage to kill a few goons though :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 8, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

What the gently caress, it was a five minute event.

Guessing it counts all damage, before any resistance or dodge stuff. It has to, for that kind of stupid.

Also, starting to think that double Best Defense is even better than Best Defense/Agressive Stance (at least once the dodge/crit/off/def patch rolls out). 3.6 Offense for every 1 point of Defense? :monocle:

(e: That's spec-dependent though, but the character I am trying it out on is Con primary. So +20% Def from that, +30% each from Guardian/Warden, then DOUBLE all that Def gets converted of Off...)

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Guessing it counts all damage, before any resistance or dodge stuff. It has to, for that kind of stupid.

Also, starting to think that double Best Defense is even better than Best Defense/Agressive Stance (at least once the dodge/crit/off/def patch rolls out). 3.6 Offense for every 1 point of Defense? :monocle:

(e: That's spec-dependent though, but the character I am trying it out on is Con primary. So +20% Def from that, +30% each from Guardian/Warden, then DOUBLE all that Def gets converted of Off...)

Don't you hit the diminishing returns on Offense pretty hard doing that?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

High offense grants you about +25% base damage, which is roughly equivalent to having 2 or 3 extra stacks of Concentration on yourself. But in general, it scales sort of weirdly and slowly. The percentage is also quite prone to diminishing returns.

I'm a bit dubious about dual-stacked Best Defense being better, honestly. The thing about Vindicator/Guardian is that it forms a feedback loop, and so it becomes really easy to have like 250+ defense and 300+ offense. But now that I think about it, dual-stacked best defense could be quite valuable to a str-primary character, because the main hurdle to best defense is being able to get a high enough defense score to justify taking it over dodges. Of course, that's all about to change.

Maybe I'm just to conditioned to go along with the norm. The high percentage numbers featured on crits and dodges I think are a bit misleading in how effective they actually are. Meanwhile, I think Offense and Defense really are underrated nowadays: You have to fall back on defense if your dodge fails, and even Offense itself will boost the final stopping power of your attacks, even if you critical hit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Filthy Lucre posted:

Don't you hit the diminishing returns on Offense pretty hard doing that?

Right now, yes, because Offense is lumped in with all the other damage modifiers (basically, it's additive).

After the patch, Offense will be a multiplicative modifier applied AFTER everything else.

So right now the ~45-50% bonus you can get from Offense gets added directly to the ~105% you might get from a offensive passive and the ~64% you get from 8 stacks of Concentration; and then that 214% total bonus hits diminishing returns hard. Afterwards though, what will happen is your base damage gets boosted to 270% from passive and Concentration (assuming the same numbers above) which may trigger the DR formula, and then that 270% (or resulting number after DR) is multiplied by your Offense modifier (which will be smaller, but is applying to ALL of your damage).

Bluhman posted:

The thing about Vindicator/Guardian is that it forms a feedback loop, and so it becomes really easy to have like 250+ defense and 300+ offense.

You can actually go higher than that. Goonling has something like 612 Offense and 301 Defense, and that's with Heroic gear and rank 5 mods.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 8, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Note that the dodge/offense patch's true ETA is still nowhere to be found, nor is it particularly close right now to what I last heard (beginning of next year).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Note that the dodge/offense patch's true ETA is still nowhere to be found, nor is it particularly close right now to what I last heard (beginning of next year).

Well poo poo, I knew they were being cagey about a date but with all the talk about it I figured it would be sooner than that.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Well, can't entirely blame you. It's easy to have a gut reaction to even a mention of a change, and this is GOING TO RUIN ALL THE PvP BUILDS I SPENT 1800G FOR LEGIONS ON :qqsay:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Well, can't entirely blame you. It's easy to have a gut reaction to even a mention of a change, and this is GOING TO RUIN ALL THE PvP BUILDS I SPENT 1800G FOR LEGIONS ON :qqsay:

... We care about PvP in a MMO why, exactly?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

EDIT: ^^^ He's clearly mocking the PvP nutjobs who complain bitterly about what the new patch is going to do to their builds.

Irony Man got a PvP challenge the other night, which I accepted out of boredom.

The opponent was a super-fidgety stealth DPS glass cannon. I flew thirty feet in the air and nearly killed them twice with a minigun toggle that costs negative energy to fire.

The idea that Irony Man almost actually defeated a human being is kind of bizarre. He literally sacrifices all possible damage for threat boost.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

... We care about PvP in a MMO why, exactly?

Hey I have the most poop in my sock thus I deserve to win all pvp right?

LordSaturn posted:

The idea that Irony Man almost actually defeated a human being is kind of bizarre. He literally sacrifices all possible damage for threat boost.

One might say it's ... IRONIC.

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone nearly dying from Eye Beams.

Unless there's another energy-negative PA toggle I'm unaware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I was using Minigun, plus kickback.

It's better than Eye Beams, but it's still scrub-tier damage, as far as I know. I didn't even switch out of Tank mode.