Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Astro7x posted:

So is there any fix for if you use Gmail and Mail on Mavericks that it's showing that you have unread emails when they are all read? I am reading about it everywhere, no fix that I can find.

I had an issue with the iOS version of Gmail telling me I had unread messages, and it turned out it I had some Gchat logs that Google somehow marked as unread and that counted towards the unread tally. I am using 3 Gmail address in Mail on Mavericks and haven't seen that issue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My subscribed google sports calendars magically appeared in Calendar after a week. I have no idea what fixed it but I'm glad it did! :confuoot:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
A bunch of pages back I noted an issue where my cursor in Photoshop (when in fullscreen mode) was offset from the area that was actually being painted/selected/whatever - you try to draw a line, and the line would actually start drawing about 30px up and to the left of where the cursor was. I found a fix, although I doubt it'll make everybody happy: in Preferences under "performance," turn off "enable OpenGL Drawing," then restart. I'm not sure what the benefits of OpenGL drawing are, but with the work I've done since I fixed it I haven't noticed any differences. Of course if you can't do your job without OpenGL, the other solution is simply "don't work in fullscreen mode" - that fixes it, too.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just installed Mavericks on a fresh DIY Fusion Drive in my Mac mini. Works great, but now I'm reading that I should have installed Mavericks before making the Fusion drive (and then clone the boot partition on to it) in order to keep the recovery partition separate from the conjoined Fusion drive. Is there any reason I should start over and do it that way? I'm thinking it doesn't really make any difference unless somehow the Fusion pairing fails, in which case I can still do a web recovery right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What's the best method to manually bring my email over from my old MBP? The basic accounts transferred but my "On my Mac" mail folders did not, nor did my Notes.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Any advice on the best Youtube downloader?
Mostly it's for ripping the audio from ambient storm soundtracks and stuff (mainly to sleep) since my bandwidth is capped so low, I can't just throw something on and let it play.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In Preview I sometimes have the document I'm looking at get blurry and I'm not able to scroll with it on the trackpad. Sometimes I have to close the document and re-open it and sometimes I can fix it by grabbing the scroll bar with my cursor but it's stupid and inconvenient. Anyone know causes/fixes? This is on 10.9.

iostream.h posted:

Mostly it's for ripping the audio from ambient storm soundtracks and stuff (mainly to sleep) since my bandwidth is capped so low, I can't just throw something on and let it play.

Uh, there's lots of websites that will let you download just audio from a youtube video. But the extension ClicktoPlugin lets you download the mp4s from youtube IIRC.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

iostream.h posted:

“Best” is subjective. I use MacTubes and it has always served me well. It breaks every now and then when youtube updates the page structure, but the program has received quick updates to match.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

iostream.h posted:

The YouTube Options extension allows you to download videos in various formats and hide things like the comments section. After using the extension I found that my YouTube experience had dramatically improved.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

But how do you know which videos are sigint false flag parallel construction Obama hitler deceptions then?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

phosdex posted:

But how do you know which videos are sigint false flag parallel construction Obama hitler deceptions then?

That's easy: they're on the internet.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

vtlock posted:

The YouTube Options extension allows you to download videos in various formats and hide things like the comments section. After using the extension I found that my YouTube experience had dramatically improved.

This looks AWESOME thanks! And thanks for all the suggestions, yes I know it's subjective and that there's very very rarely a best option, it was poor wording on my part. The one I usually used (4kDownloader or something) broke with the new OS update.

phosdex posted:

They ALL are. :tinfoil:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Any thoughts on whether I should install Mavericks on my Haswell MBAir?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Any thoughts on whether I should install Mavericks on my Haswell MBAir?
Only one rational thought: yes.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only one rational thought: yes.

I dunno, Sex Parrot, all this extra battery life on my MBA is bringing me down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
And the dock looks different.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astro7x posted:

So is there any fix for if you use Gmail and Mail on Mavericks that it's showing that you have unread emails when they are all read? I am reading about it everywhere, no fix that I can find.

Apple is working on a solution for Mac Mail and Google IMAP, but word is they are only testing it with Apple employees at the moment, there is no public fix. For the time being, use the web interface.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

iostream.h posted:

For Firefox, I'm fond of Download YouTube Videos as MP4, mainly because it's very non-intrusive and adds a simple download button with a dropdown menu.

On a side note, how did you extract the audio from the mp4s? Back on Snow Leopard I used to open them in QuickTime 7 Pro, extract the AAC track to a separate movie and export it as mp4 with passthrough audio. I've tried doing the same on Mountain Lion/Mavericks with QuickTime X but Apple seem to have crippled it by removing all Pro functions :(

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

rpop posted:

On a side note, how did you extract the audio from the mp4s?
4K Video Downloader did all of it for me, I'd just paste the URL, select what format I wanted to download in and let it go. Not incredibly full featured, but it did everything I wanted it to do, it just doesn't work anymore.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I guess this goes here since OS X appears to be the culprit:

I did a clean install of 10.9 (13A603) today and now I can't back up with Time Machine.

I get the following error:

code:
5/11/2013 1:47:31.213 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Not starting automatic Time Machine backup: System clock is wrong.
 5/11/2013 1:47:31.272 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Backup failed with error 33: 33
And this message in the Time Machine application: "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup: The system date and time is incorrect."

I'm trying to back up to a Time Capsule with the current firmware. The clock on my Mac is set automatically, as is the one on the TC. Both are set to the same time zone.

I have reset PRAM and SMC, tried erasing the TC drive and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to try next.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Anmitzcuaca posted:

I did a clean install of 10.9 (13A603) today and now I can't back up with Time Machine.

code:
5/11/2013 1:47:31.213 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Not starting automatic Time Machine backup: System clock is wrong.
 5/11/2013 1:47:31.272 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Backup failed with error 33: 33
And this message in the Time Machine application: "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup: The system date and time is incorrect."

I'm trying to back up to a Time Capsule with the current firmware. The clock on my Mac is set automatically, as is the one on the TC. Both are set to the same time zone.

I have reset PRAM and SMC, tried erasing the TC drive and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to try next.

Try completely resetting the TimeMachine prefs:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Try completely resetting the TimeMachine prefs:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

Just tried this, no luck.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

code:

Can you please do this in Terminal and tell me what it says:

code:
stat /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Mikey-San posted:

Can you please do this in Terminal and tell me what it says:

code:
stat /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd

code:
Mars:~ stuart$ stat /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd
16777221 11087 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 704064 "Nov  5 15:13:22 2013" "Nov  6 04:54:26 2013" "Nov  6 04:54:26 2013" "Sep 30 07:33:37 2013" 4096 1080 0x20 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd
Mars:~ stuart$
Edit: I set the date ahead of Nov 6 since that's when the system thinks backupd was last modified and it appears to be working as normal now - however since it's the initial backup it's going to be a while before I can confirm it's worked. Also I used sudo touch to modify backupd so hopefully this will allow me to set the real date and have it work as expected. (not sure why I didn't just try that first)

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 5, 2013

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
The short version of this is that the st_mtime of the backupd binary appears to be in the future. It's possible that the time was off when the installer laid down the backupd binary. (That's one explanation, anyway.) This trips over a sanity check that tries to prevent Time Machine from backing up in an "obviously incoherent" state. (The system clock should never be /before/ the st_mtime of a system file like the backupd binary.)

This check happens very early in the backup. If you have gotten far enough that backupd is preparing, you're past it.

If you wanted, you could stop the backup, put your clock back to normal, then try:

code:
sudo touch /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd
This should update the st_mtime value and bring it in-line with the system. (At which point, you should be able to run a backup with your actual system clock setting.)

edit: Thanks for showing me the stat info.

e2: oops, meant st_mtime (content modification time) -- fixed for technical accuracy

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2013

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Thanks for the help. It's far enough in to the backup now that I'll just wait.

I set the time manually before running the install using the date command, since the Mavericks installer failed because the system date was set to Jan 01 2001, it would appear it's change it automatically part way through installation into the future. At least any other problems of this nature will be gone in a day or two.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Just remember that you want to move the clock back to normal and /then/ touch backupd, so the time on backupd is coherent. Touching it in the future just keeps it in the future. (Adding this in case it's not clear. Ignore if you're on the same page already.)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a link to a wireless driver file for a mid 2013 macbook air? Windows 7 stopped recognizing my wireless card. Still works fine on OSX though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
When people mail me directly and an email list that I'm on in the same email I only get one copy in Mail but it alerts twice. It seems like Mail is smart enough to de-duplicate the message in storage but it still plays the new message alert/notification for each dupe. Is there a way to stop this? It's a little annoying to get so many alerts.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ninja Rope posted:

When people mail me directly and an email list that I'm on in the same email I only get one copy in Mail but it alerts twice. It seems like Mail is smart enough to de-duplicate the message in storage but it still plays the new message alert/notification for each dupe. Is there a way to stop this? It's a little annoying to get so many alerts.

This isn't going to sound real helpful but step 1 is "file a bug report" and step 2 is "wait, and hope".

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
So Finder keeps on restarting, the only way I notice is that the desktop icons flash for a split second. Console logs are, well, huge:

At this point with the apps not staying logged in bug I think I might as well just do a fresh install.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neurophonic posted:

So Finder keeps on restarting, the only way I notice is that the desktop icons flash for a split second. Console logs are, well, huge:

At this point with the apps not staying logged in bug I think I might as well just do a fresh install.

A colleague was complaining about the same thing today. Have you seen this?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Figure I'd post here instead of the hardware thread since this is more of a software configuration.

I have a corsair USB wireless headset which I use for gaming. The USB receiver is always plugged in, I then turn the headset on\off via a switch on the headset.

The only problem I seem to have is it doesn't automatically switch to the USB headset when I turn it on, I need to manually go into sound and then change it to headset. Once I'm done using the headset, I need to switch it back to regular speakers. Is there anyway to automate this configuration change?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

lol internet. posted:

Figure I'd post here instead of the hardware thread since this is more of a software configuration.

I have a corsair USB wireless headset which I use for gaming. The USB receiver is always plugged in, I then turn the headset on\off via a switch on the headset.

The only problem I seem to have is it doesn't automatically switch to the USB headset when I turn it on, I need to manually go into sound and then change it to headset. Once I'm done using the headset, I need to switch it back to regular speakers. Is there anyway to automate this configuration change?

I don't know how to automate it, but the fastest alternative is to option-click the volume icon in the menu bar and change your sound output that way.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
I just switched over to mavericks and decided to make safari my default browser but I've having issues playing youtube videos from Vevo or playing videos straight from the Vevo website. It keeps telling me that I need to update my flash when I try to view their videos on youtube and that I need to install flash when I try to view videos on the Vevo website. Videos play fine in Firefox and my googlefu is turning up nothing recent that seems relevant.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

spoon daddy posted:

I just switched over to mavericks and decided to make safari my default browser but I've having issues playing youtube videos from Vevo or playing videos straight from the Vevo website. It keeps telling me that I need to update my flash when I try to view their videos on youtube and that I need to install flash when I try to view videos on the Vevo website. Videos play fine in Firefox and my googlefu is turning up nothing recent that seems relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Edit: I figured everything out with Google.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 6, 2013

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I was a big fan of Anxiety (http://www.anxietyapp.com/) but after upgrading to Maverick, the app does not work for me anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on other good and simple to-do list apps that I can open from my menu bar?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep, no 2D dock pisses me off.
I don't know if it still works in Mavericks, but there's a tiny app you can download that lets you switch between the 3D and 2D dock.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Safari used to let me rename the websites in my Top Sites, but I can't figure out how to do this anymore. If there's not a way to do it in Safari, does anybody know where this information is kept so I can edit it manually? (I cannot stand having, for example, 'The Guardian' show up as 'Latest news, sport and comment from the Guar...')

2) I'm tempted to get ReadKit to tie together all my reading from RSS and Instapaper (though thinking of moving to Pocket). Has anybody used this? It looks great but I'd love a goon testimonial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

TACD posted:

2) I'm tempted to get ReadKit to tie together all my reading from RSS and Instapaper (though thinking of moving to Pocket). Has anybody used this? It looks great but I'd love a goon testimonial.

I use ReadKit because there's nothing else on a Mac at the moment that will sync with Feedly. I'd say it's acceptable, but I don't love it. It has limited gesture support (I just want to be able to swipe to the next article!) and has a habit of crashing every once in a while, though this has gotten better through the last few bug fix updates. What's nice about it is that you can choose any font you like for the article view, and there are several color themes to pick from as well.