Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

You live in the Bay area. You've never met dudes like in that video? I see a couple dozen a day.

I think he meant that they are just paid actors imitating a person like you're describing, for this commercial.

Also, still laughing at "it's basically free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
A tach needle is one of the coolest objects known to man. I can understand having the led shift lights like an F1 car, but you also need a tach needle, you can't just have one.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

chia posted:

BMW's new naked S1000R 2014:

Edit: Whoops, huge images, resized.

If BMW has a nice wind shield that fits over the tach and give decent protection, this will be the best motorcycle. I have been pretty set on getting a 848 Streetfighter for a while but this is the only bike that could change my mind. BMW fueling and build quality is miles ahead of most manufacturers.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol so they looked at the Tuono V4 and said "Yes, let's make that but even uglier and hamstring the power!"

chia posted:

Pretty much. And that torque curve makes me sad (compared to the new superduke...).

Wut? 83ft/lb of torks from i4, this bike is face melting fast, yall are nuts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HNasty posted:

If BMW has a nice wind shield that fits over the tach and give decent protection, this will be the best motorcycle. I have been pretty set on getting a 848 Streetfighter for a while but this is the only bike that could change my mind. BMW fueling and build quality is miles ahead of most manufacturers.

Wut? 83ft/lb of torks from i4, this bike is face melting fast, yall are nuts.

So yeah, uglier, less powerful and less torquey than a Tuono V4R, fairly sure that's what I said.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also this thing is probably a riot to ride but man is it not fun to look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-X30h9s1Vc

I actually like that headlamp fairing, but then again I'm only 20 and therefore have no taste. :v:

It makes the whole thing look like a very large, very angry ant.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

chia posted:

BMW's new naked S1000R 2014:

Edit: Whoops, huge images, resized.

I wonder if this will mean the end of that 1300 cc naked they've got?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So yeah, uglier, less powerful and less torquey than a Tuono V4R, fairly sure that's what I said.

What's loving hilarious is when anyone claims they've "tuned the engine for torque" and it ends up with less horsepower *and* the same (or worse) torque. FZ1, GSR600, Z750. And now, BMW joins this charade as well.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What's loving hilarious is when anyone claims they've "tuned the engine for torque" and it ends up with less horsepower *and* the same (or worse) torque. FZ1, GSR600, Z750. And now, BMW joins this charade as well.

Well normally when they say that they mean they've flattened the torque curve out (which is presumably what made chia sad, because that's not a flat torque curve)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This new bike makes 7 ft-lb more torque than the RR, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

I wonder if this will mean the end of that 1300 cc naked they've got?

I doubt that, they didn't kill the K1300S to make way for the regular S1000.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

This new bike makes 7 ft-lb more torque than the RR, though.

visordown.com posted:

The redline is now set 2,000rpm lower than the S1000RR and it produces its maximum power at 11,000rpm and maximum torque of 83lbft at 9,250rpm. The super naked makes 7lbft more torque than the superbike.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com posted:

Yeah, I don't know. The same torque 500 rpm lower, and from the dyno chart visordown posted the torque curve doesn't look like it'll contain any surprises. DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE, the bike'll be a monster. But it's still horseshit when they "tune for torque".

Just come out and admit it's a :airquote:detuned:airquote: supersport engine, BMW.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM made BMW look like a bunch of pussies

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Spiffness posted:

KTM makes everyone look like a bunch of giant pussies.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Shimrod posted:

That's horrendous. That would actually turn me off buying one of them over other options in that class of bike.

The thing is, you really don't give two shits what the engine is doing on a Z below 4k RPM as long as it's running. So you putter around using the lower, low-contrast LCD when you're in traffic and what not. Then when you give it the beans, it switches to the top LED tach and you get a nice bright and colorful sweep in your peripheral vision. It could actually be really functional as a giant shift light which is what you need a tach on a bike like that for anyway.

Kawi dashes sometimes look spacemodern goofy as gently caress but they tend to actually end up pretty functional. They do make mistakes; the first-gen Z with the all-LCD tach was considered one, although I never minded it on mine. That's why I said I was mixed on it.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm with Voltage as far as the tachometer goes. It is petty as hell, I know, but I have to have an analog tachometer. The whole gauge cluster could be LCD for all I care, yet it if doesn't have a tachometer needle I'll hate it.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Tuono makes about he same torque if not a little less, prob has a flatter torque curve, either way I'd put my money on BMW being a much better bike in the real world. The S1000RR is stupendous and this naked should be p rad too.

also if that dyno chart is real, the naked S1KRR is making about 7 more torks at the wheel according to google

also god I want to know what the wet weight is on this thing, if it's not a pig it will be a great bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbdcCxeCR8&t=28s

HNasty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 5, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
'Tuning for torque' also usually translates to shortening the lower gears so you're not redlining in first at 90. Thus, wheelies. I'm not a Beemer man but HNasty's probably right, that thing's going to be a riot.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Deeters posted:

I think that up until this year, the only Harleys with a dedicated oil cooler were the top end touring models.

There's not much info on them other than the marketing material, so we need to make fun of something.

The XRs have (had) the oil cooled heads as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Terminus Est posted:

KTM makes everyone look like a bunch of giant pussies. sane.

For better or worse, yes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It'd be cool if the S1000R is like the Street Triple in that you can drop 675 cams right in, tune it, and you've got the same power for cheap. Only other diff is that the pistons are cast vs forged but they are good enough to hold stock 675 power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I don't know. The same torque 500 rpm lower, and from the dyno chart visordown posted the torque curve doesn't look like it'll contain any surprises. DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE, the bike'll be a monster. But it's still horseshit when they "tune for torque".

Just come out and admit it's a :airquote:detuned:airquote: supersport engine, BMW.

Yeah no, this is dumb. Having an actual superbike engine in a naked seems like an awesome idea on paper, but having superbike gearing on a naked is dumb and pointless. You can't realistically do 300km/h on a naked with flat bars and an upright riding position. So if you have short gearing and a peaky engine that revs to the moon, you get a not-very-fun bike. If you have an engine with a bulbous torque curve and short gearing, you get mad wheelies and low-speed acceleration.

Snowdens Secret posted:

'Tuning for torque' also usually translates to shortening the lower gears so you're not redlining in first at 90. Thus, wheelies. I'm not a Beemer man but HNasty's probably right, that thing's going to be a riot.

Beaten.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Well, that's okay, because BMW made KTM look like a bunch of pussies when KTM thought that Famous Actor Ewan McGregor and his multi-million dollar rally support team somehow would not complete the trip around the world they were doing for a television show.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Yeah no, this is dumb. Having an actual superbike engine in a naked seems like an awesome idea on paper, but having superbike gearing on a naked is dumb and pointless. You can't realistically do 300km/h on a naked with flat bars and an upright riding position. So if you have short gearing and a peaky engine that revs to the moon, you get a not-very-fun bike. If you have an engine with a bulbous torque curve and short gearing, you get mad wheelies and low-speed acceleration.

Beaten.

Luckily I'm not talking about putting the same engine in a naked and a superbike. I'm talking about how "tuned for torque" is retarded most of the time since it ends up worse in every metric. A direct comparison between the FZ1 and the same year R1 shows that the R1 has more torque across the whole register. How is that "tuned for more torque"? It's not, and that's my point. Every manufacturer is afraid that people will think less of their new, shiny naked bike if they just come out and say "oh yeah, we took the superbike engine and made it a little tamer", so they say they "tuned for better midrange torque" or "better rideability" when it demonstrably doesn't have more torque!

Besides, the B-King is the bike that proves your sentence wrong (almost). :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8kkokWTMHY&t=54s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Tuned for better rideability" doesn't imply that it has more torque.

If they brought down the overall power output and flattened out the torque, manufacturers could probably also truthfully say "tuned for smoothness and reliability".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Well, that's okay, because BMW made KTM look like a bunch of pussies when KTM thought that Famous Actor Ewan McGregor and his multi-million dollar rally support team somehow would not complete the trip around the world they were doing for a television show.

Some senior KTM guy called that the companies biggest mistake n recent history.

Still, just about anything would have snapped in half on that trip with 900 lbs of poo poo on the back of each bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Luckily I'm not talking about putting the same engine in a naked and a superbike. I'm talking about how "tuned for torque" is retarded most of the time since it ends up worse in every metric. A direct comparison between the FZ1 and the same year R1 shows that the R1 has more torque across the whole register. How is that "tuned for more torque"? It's not, and that's my point. Every manufacturer is afraid that people will think less of their new, shiny naked bike if they just come out and say "oh yeah, we took the superbike engine and made it a little tamer", so they say they "tuned for better midrange torque" or "better rideability" when it demonstrably doesn't have more torque!

Besides, the B-King is the bike that proves your sentence wrong (almost). :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8kkokWTMHY&t=54s

I think if you compared dyno charts the naked version would have more midrange torque...? By mid-range we're meaning sub-8000rpm which seems reasonable. You're comparing PEAK torque, which is different.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

HNasty posted:

The Tuono makes about he same torque if not a little less, prob has a flatter torque curve, either way I'd put my money on BMW being a much better bike in the real world. The S1000RR is stupendous and this naked should be p rad too.

also if that dyno chart is real, the naked S1KRR is making about 7 more torks at the wheel according to google

also god I want to know what the wet weight is on this thing, if it's not a pig it will be a great bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbdcCxeCR8&t=28s

I know what you are saying is absolutely correct. Owning a Tuono is a love hate relationship and every BMW I've ridden has been pleasant but god drat the look of that bike. That headlight/gauge cluster is fuckin gross.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

tjones posted:

I'm with Voltage as far as the tachometer goes. It is petty as hell, I know, but I have to have an analog tachometer. The whole gauge cluster could be LCD for all I care, yet it if doesn't have a tachometer needle I'll hate it.

I honestly have no idea why anybody cares what the dash on i motorcycle looks like. How much time do you actually spend looking at it? What kind of information do you really need from it while riding? Maybe speed? poo poo, my bike doesn't even have a tach.

As long as I can see if I left my turn signals on with a quick glance I'm happy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Some senior KTM guy called that the companies biggest mistake n recent history.

No kidding. When I go out on the nice motorcycle roads I'll see at least half a dozen R1150/1200GS's in a single afternoon, while I see maybe two KTMs of any type per month.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not seeing any point in buying an Iron 883 any more.

They might produce both for awhile and see if the 883 sales continue to deem it worthy. I doubt the 1200 will be going anywhere, but it's entirely possible the 883 'beginner bike' will be consumed by the 500/750 line.

In other cruiser news, Honda dropped the ST's engine into a cruiser frame and I'm kind of getting excited about it.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/04/2014-honda-ctx1300-and-ctx1300-deluxe-first-look-review-specs-photos/

Real suspension, fuel injection, V4 powered, and 1300cc's making it not quite a behemoth. At 700lbs they somehow managed to make it heavier than my steel loaded 80's V-Max and the full faired, 7 gallon holding ST1300 it's derived from. Where did all that weight come from?

I don't like the fairing, but if they left the horsepower alone from it's ST build, and it can be made to look like the 700 variety... I'll likely be owning a new bike soon.

This style with power would be really tempting. That assumes Yamaha doesn't drop their new triple into something equally appealing over the next couple of years.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Official Pictures of the Z1000 confirm that it is both an ugly fucker and also the angriest ant.

I actually want it but I'll probably never end up with one. :allears:

e:

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 6, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Official Pictures of the Z1000 confirm that it is both an ugly fucker and also the angriest ant.

What is with bikes in the past few years and the headlight/gauge area looking like some sort of anime mecha head? To me it looks off balance and almost like a full fairing bike that is halfway disassembled.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That would look about a million times...more (I can't say better) if it still had the animu plastic wing-shaped coverings over the forks like the previous gen did.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Heard this on NPR earlier, neat story about a long lost stolen bike being returned.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-old-motorcycle-found-20131104,0,2751445.story

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did they deliberately try to make it look as spaceship-y as possible?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
God dammit that looks so comfortable...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Halo_4am posted:

In other cruiser news, Honda dropped the ST's engine into a cruiser frame and I'm kind of getting excited about it.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/04/2014-honda-ctx1300-and-ctx1300-deluxe-first-look-review-specs-photos/

Really? :shrug:

As an ex Honda ST guy, I can safely say the V4 is a nice engine sure but I don't see all that much redeeming about it compared to a "normal" cruiser... other than far uglier. To each their own though I guess.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
2014 Honda CB650F and CBR650F -Motorcyclenews.com

Honda CBR650F

Honda CB650F

Not coming stateside though, at least for now.

Are there a lot of Inline 4 6-700cc bikes? Seems like a triple is the way to go.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I actually want it but I'll probably never end up with one. :allears:

I'm sure you'll be able to buy a 2014 towards the end of 2015 for about 7.5 grand. I think dealers already have trouble selling them, and that new headlight is going to be incredibly polarizing with consumers.

I was really hoping for something better than a cosmetic refresh on the z1000. There were rumors kawasaki would try to step up to tuono and s1000r performance levels with that bike. Guess they are just going to keep trying to work the lower price point.

I'm a big fan of the current z1000, but I have no interest in this new one. I usually like ugly naked bikes (currently ride a b-king).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those pipes are utterly magnificent and it blows my mind that a comparatively budget bike with pretty dowdy looks got an exhaust like that. Shame the outlet looks like a scooter pipe.