Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ugh, don't remind me. Best was one of the most exciting college players I've ever seen, every time he touched the ball there was a chance he'd juke about 8 guys on the way to taking it to the house. It's such a shame what happened to the poor guy.

Goes to show you that being 5'9 160 lbs is a bad thing for RBs craniums.

Re: WR chat

Keenan Allen was one of the more polished WRs coming out and was the clear cut #1 for the majority of the year. Only Justin Hunter had more hype going into the season, and that was despite Hunter's horrific leg injury. Then Patterson got hyped up despite being less productive than Hunter and everyone blew their boner loads over Tavon Austin having shifty speed.

People just seem to become infatuated with big play WRs and ignore red flags like Tavon Austin being slightly bigger than me. Yeah having speed and open field play making is great, but if you can't catch the ball in the first place because the lightest defense will jar it out of your spindly arms, then you probably shouldn't be taken in the first, much less the top 10. I'm pretty much positive that Austin as is wouldn't survive in most systems, let alone one as dire as a Brian Schottenheimer ran offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Allen did also miss both the combine and Cal's pro day then put up a miserably slow time when he finally had his own pro day. It wasn't just other guys getting hyped above him.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

DangerKat posted:

Allen did also miss both the combine and Cal's pro day then put up a miserably slow time when he finally had his own pro day. It wasn't just other guys getting hyped above him.

He was still rehabbing the injury at the time, but obviously missing those events is never a good thing for your draft stock.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah, everyone was just scared of the injury. He was a huge draft crush for me and I was really losing it when Allen made it to the third and the Ravens had pounced on him. I do love the Arthur Brown pick but ironically hes suffered more from injury than Allen has this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DangerKat posted:

He was rehabbing an injury that everyone knew about, but you're right, it wasn't just hype. That again makes the draft such a crap shoot. They were just talking about that on SNF with Case Keenum. I certainly thought Keenum was a lovely prospect that benefited from his system in Houston and had an awful combine where he couldn't make any throws. I was right about the combine but it turns out Keenum pulled his hammy running the 40 and couldn't throw at all off of it. Just goes to show you all the little stuff we don't know about prospects that totally matter in the long run.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm still trying to figure out why the entirety of TFF loved Dan THE FEVER Lefevour a few years back

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the entirety of TFF loved Dan THE FEVER Lefevour a few years back

There was none, it was just that MattW was incredibly vocal about how much he loved his lovely mid-major QB that almost beat a ranked team once. I think it was a case of Eagles Fan Syndrome where they all irrationally like mobile QBs but all irrationally hated McNabb.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Because the Fever owned. I don't think anyone thought he would actually be worth a drat in the NFL but he was basically the mid-major version of Tebow.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Declan MacManus posted:

No one, really. There isn't anyone that jumps out. Besides JaDeveon, Anthony Barr, Louis Nix, Marqise Lee, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins look like pretty amazing prospects, and probably one of the quarterbacks in this class will do really well just because there are so drat many. I'll tell you a bit about Seferian-Jenkins since individual draft profiles seem to be what you're after.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington)

TE, 6'6, 266 lbs.

Pros: Excellent route-runner, great hands, shows great potential as a blocker, extremely fast for size, basketball playing tight end which everyone loves, good body control

Cons: Busted for DUI. 2013 stats are underwhelming.

1st Seferian-Jenkins
2nd Jordan Matthews
3rd Bryan Stork

is my dream draft, though that is assuming the Ravens finish in the middle of the pack not top 10 which it looks like they might.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because the Fever owned. I don't think anyone thought he would actually be worth a drat in the NFL but he was basically the mid-major version of Tebow.
It was mostly just fun to say his name

Who doesn't want a starting QB in the nfl named The Fever

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

And yet Jordan Lynch, twice the college player LaFevour was, doesnt get any nfl draft press. A damned outrage imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Listen I have my own eyeball test for the NFL Draft and its called "does this player have a cool name". Ha Ha Clinton Dix is going to be the defensive rookie of the year. Either him or Mister Cobble

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Emanuel Collective posted:

And yet Jordan Lynch, twice the college player LaFevour was, doesnt get any nfl draft press. A damned outrage imo

Jordan Lynch is a fraud and FSU exposed him in the Orange Bowl.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Jordan Lynch is a fraud and FSU exposed him in the Orange Bowl.

I honestly can't loving tell what this post is

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

MACtion, bitch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The talk about about jmarcus got me wondering so I went back and looked at some youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCNAW-PbBk

Pass at ~:50 is a 40 yard bomb that he drops into a barrel between two defenders and the goal line. I think there is exactly one NFL QB who could make that throw reliably and it is Drew Brees and he's going to the Hall of Fame.

Run at 1:45 is pretty impressive. The announcer calls him ala Cunningham, not really, but he still runs past most of the ND defense.

Frozen rope at 2:00 into coverage is another throw that maybe a half dozen NFL QBs can make.

Deep ball at 3:24, even the announcers know it is coming. Holy poo poo. Again into double coverage.

He's literally the only player I've ever seen who could make the throw he does at 6:00.

Goddamn dude was incredible.

Also in related news poor Brady Quinn. This game. :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A lot of this is kind of repetitive of what's been said but I look at JaMarcus Russell as one of those guys who had the potential to be special but only if he was handled in the right way.

He needed the right tutor the right coaching staff and the right offensive game plan and I'd argue he had none of that.

The only major flag I saw when he was coming out was that the LSU system at the time had been productive no matter what poo poo show they had under center and heading into his final year he wasn't unquestioned as the starter. There was no point in his career realistically where he was 100% the guy the coaching staff wanted under centre. That's always a bit of a concern to me.

I kind of had the same reservations about Cam when he was coming out and to be fair at the time the speculation was kind of understandable, one year starter, some minor off field issues, impressive physical specimen but not guaranteed mentally. The difference is how they were handled and how they handled themselves.

Cam went and got tutored at IMG by Weinke and Ken Dorsey. The Panthers brought in Shula and Chudzinski two guys known as QB coaches around the league and went about tailoring an offense that had some good support pieces at running back, tight end and offensive line to play to his strengths.

Rivera's approach seemed to be lets get this kid educated on how to play the position like a pro and let him grow. The Raiders seemed to be, lets give him the reins and hope everything grows from there. I could be wrong in that, but I don't ever recall hearing about Russell spending his offseason working his craft or seeing the Raiders play an obviously stringently tailored game plan.

EDIT: The other thing to keep in mind with strong armed QBs coming out is they often don't have as good anticipatory skills as guys who aren't known for their arms, because they can get the ball into the player after the window comes open rather than having to throw it open. In the NFL this leads to a lot of over thrown balls and turnovers because they struggle anticipating the defensive backs and the window for a receiver being "open" is that much smaller.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BlindSite posted:

A lot of this is kind of repetitive of what's been said but I look at JaMarcus Russell as one of those guys who had the potential to be special but only if he was handled in the right way.

He needed the right tutor the right coaching staff and the right offensive game plan and I'd argue he had none of that.

I'd agree, but I'd argue that it didn't matter. It's not the coaching staffs fault when he's overthrowing or underthrowing his dump off passes by 10 yards that he's been completing since high school. The ceiling that the Raiders coaching staff would have allowed a raw prospect to get to was pretty low, but Russell came nowhere near it.

quote:

The Raiders seemed to be, lets give him the reins and hope everything grows from there. I could be wrong in that, but I don't ever recall hearing about Russell spending his offseason working his craft or seeing the Raiders play an obviously stringently tailored game plan.

They gave him as fair a chance as any other team who drafted a qb 1st overall. They tried to act not desperate by bringing on an ancient Daunte Culpepper, in the hopes that he could start and mentor Russell. Russell started after the halfway mark of the season. That's about what any other team does. When you're that desperate for even one touchdown, there's only so long you can let even the rawest big time playmaker sit on the bench and develop. Oakland would've stabilized real fuckin fast if he started putting the team first. Winning builds chemistry.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Me and Al want to make sure that we get this guy. 4:00 is a play that doesn't happen in the NFL, but drat does he show off some vision and instinct. Maybe when he's like, 28, he'll be big enough to play in the league? That's worth a 2nd, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ulHw2C3geo

Look at the last defender who has a chance at touching him. Thomas faked inside making the defender hesitate, perfectly setting him up for his blocker. Defender is going down hard, and he's not even reaching towards Thomas. Thomas has to worry about squeezing against the sideline so he doesn't accidentally get tangled up in the block, while also needing to move forward quickly because there's defenders who have an angle on him downfield. He has the poise to slap dudes arm the gently caress away so that he has no chance of getting a finger on him, stay inbounds, not have any contact he didn't want with the block, and still burn anyone else who has a chance to make a play, all at the same time. There's 10 different things like that on this one play. Little stuff like that owns.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 5, 2013

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

bewbies posted:

The talk about about jmarcus got me wondering so I went back and looked at some youtubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCNAW-PbBk

But the problem with Russell was that the Sugar Bowl was basically his entire resume: He had one excellent game against a not-great Notre Dame team with a weak defense. LSU put together a great season while he was there but they also had the best defense in the NCAA that year. Yeah, Russell's gifts were impressive but he played like dog poo poo against Florida when he was up against another top-5 defense.

Russell got so much buzz/came out of nowhere because the 2006 QB draft class was exceptionally weak and teams still needed to draft QBs. Russell may have had the tools, but a lot of the hype around him came from ignoring a lot of his issues prior to that Notre Dame game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

Me and Al want to make sure that we get this guy. 4:00 is a play that doesn't happen in the NFL, but drat does he show off some vision and instinct. Maybe when he's like, 28, he'll be big enough to play in the league? That's worth a 2nd, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ulHw2C3geo

Look at the last defender who has a chance at touching him. Thomas faked inside making the defender hesitate, perfectly setting him up for his blocker. Defender is going down hard, and he's not even reaching towards Thomas. Thomas has to worry about squeezing against the sideline so he doesn't accidentally get tangled up in the block, while also needing to move forward quickly because there's defenders who have an angle on him downfield. He has the poise to slap dudes arm the gently caress away so that he has no chance of getting a finger on him, stay inbounds, not have any contact he didn't want with the block, and still burn anyone else who has a chance to make a play, all at the same time. There's 10 different things like that on this one play. Little stuff like that owns.

The spirit of the 40 time lives on

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Alouicious posted:

I honestly can't loving tell what this post is

He talked all that poo poo before the Orange Bowl about how he was going to wear FSU out and how FSU hadn't seen anything like him and he delivered this piece of poo poo:

gently caress Jordan Lynch forever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

wandler20 posted:

He talked all that poo poo before the Orange Bowl about how he was going to wear FSU out and how FSU hadn't seen anything like him and he delivered this piece of poo poo:

My favorite part of that stat line is that without the 22 yard run, he runs for about a yard per carry.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I thought that was just everyone being ironic about THE FEVER

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People acting all surprised that Jordan Lynch and his mid major team got upended by an ACC powerhouse who has backups that were higher rated recruits than their starters

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

People acting all surprised that Jordan Lynch and his mid major team got upended by an ACC powerhouse who has backups that were higher rated recruits than their starters

I think the only one surprised was Lynch.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You act like he called you out personally dude maybe reassess things a bit

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
man you are really fired up about blowout Orange Bowl win over a team that fluked into the game due to a technicality

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

Listen I have my own eyeball test for the NFL Draft and its called "does this player have a cool name". Ha Ha Clinton Dix is going to be the defensive rookie of the year. Either him or Mister Cobble

That works 100% but I avoid names that are too awesome. Like Baccari Rambo is a great name but it was a little too good, and I realized that he'd be a head hunter because of it. It's how I know Mike Evans will be a pedestrian possession WR, because Evans is a pedestrian WR name. Jackson Jeffcoat though? That DE is going to be all world.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Emanuel Collective posted:

man you are really fired up about blowout Orange Bowl win over a team that fluked into the game due to a technicality

Not really, there are specific provisions for sending non-BCS teams to BCS bowls, and NIU was probably one of the best mid-majors in the country. That said, FSU was way overqualified for the Orange Bowl but NC State will do that to you

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Doltos posted:

That works 100% but I avoid names that are too awesome. Like Baccari Rambo is a great name but it was a little too good, and I realized that he'd be a head hunter because of it. It's how I know Mike Evans will be a pedestrian possession WR, because Evans is a pedestrian WR name. Jackson Jeffcoat though? That DE is going to be all world.

Legedu Naanee is my go-to if we're talking about poo poo players with awesome names. It's just too much fun to say, so he couldn't be any good, because then you would say it too much and it would ruin the experience.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Legedu Naanee is my go-to if we're talking about poo poo players with awesome names. It's just too much fun to say, so he couldn't be any good, because then you would say it too much and it would ruin the experience.

Seyi Ajirotutu :cool:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Doltos posted:

What about combos? We took Watt in the 1st in 2011 but then his name became a lot better IMO once we got Jared Crick in 2012 for the full, lame "Watt and Crick" thing.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Roasted Donut posted:

MACtion, bitch.

Who you guys scoping with your top 5 pick my man

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Rap posted:

Who you guys scoping with your top 5 pick my man

clowney or marquise lee or top OT available hopefully

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wandler20 posted:

You still used the words "fraud" and "exposed" unironically when referring to college football so I'm pretty sure you're a massive tool

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Also Jordan Lynch got sacked 3 times which counts as 3 rushes for -16 yards, which doesn't take into account all of the times that he got flushed out of the pocket and scrambled to the line.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grozz Nuy posted:

Taco Wallace :colbert:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Roasted Donut posted:

clowney or marquise lee or top OT available hopefully

You would take Lee over Watkins? I would think Watkins would be a beautiful replacement for Wallace's lost production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You would take Lee over Watkins? I would think Watkins would be a beautiful replacement for Wallace's lost production.

I'd take Lee, Robinson, and Evans over him

• Locked thread