Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Retconning Sara Lance alive with a new actress and hair colour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VagueRant posted:

Retconning Sara Lance alive with a new actress and hair colour?

The reason they hired a new actress is because the one they hired for the pilot/season one wouldn't have been in the show until now (you know, because they planned it that way) and it would've been dumb to actually hire her on a long-term contract to not have her do anything (and pay her) for most of a season.

And just because a character comes back from the dead doesn't automatically make it a retcon, especially when we don't even see her actually die. If you thought that Sara was dead for good and her coming back is a twist so crazy that they obviously didn't plan it from the beginning then you must not watch a lot of TV, because I'm pretty sure most people saw this coming from Day 1.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VDay posted:

The reason they hired a new actress is because the one they hired for the pilot/season one wouldn't have been in the show until now (you know, because they planned it that way) and it would've been dumb to actually hire her on a long-term contract to not have her do anything (and pay her) for most of a season.

And just because a character comes back from the dead doesn't automatically make it a retcon, especially when we don't even see her actually die. If you thought that Sara was dead for good and her coming back is a twist so crazy that they obviously didn't plan it from the beginning then you must not watch a lot of TV, because I'm pretty sure most people saw this coming from Day 1.

No body no death.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

No body no death

Yes body...maybe death...but probably not

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, while I am pretty excited about the League, it's mostly because it means tons of really cool characters for Ollie to fight. Seriously, every single martial artist in the DCU has been made into a member or an asocciate at one point or as other. Also, between him and Firefly we already had two Batman villains on the show, so maybe we get some his other, less well know enemies, too.

But I really don't see how's this shows that the show will feature actual superpowers at one point. As with Canary's cry, it could easily be rewritten into some low key super science, like the earth quake machine. Hell, Batman Begins already had a Ras al Ghul without the Lazerus Pit and it worked rather well, overall.

Also, will the backdoor pilot for the Flash actually feature the Flash, or just Barry Allen?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

e X posted:

Also, will the backdoor pilot for the Flash actually feature the Flash, or just Barry Allen?

We'll meet Barry Allen in the first episode as just a regular guy, and then the second episode will see his transformation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chekov's Particle Accelerator :argh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

e X posted:

Watch them fit in Captain Cold somehow.

I would have said Gorilla Grodd but he's a bit out there for Arrow unless they just made him a huge dude with 'Gorilla' as a nickname I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Of course they will, the CW loves us.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WarLocke posted:

I think you mean Captain Boomerang. Played by another Spartacus actor.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, the recast was done to hide the fact that she was Sarah until the reveal, even if everybody knew it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think you mean Captain Boomerang. Played by another Spartacus actor.

Oenomaus!!! :D

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

VDay posted:

They also recast the role because the first actress wasn't Caity Lotz.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

jscolon2.0 posted:

They also recast the role because the first actress wasn't Caity Lotz.

Is it just me or does she look about 40?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Am I the only person who doesn't remember exactly what the original actress looked like? Most of the time the shot was of her sliding under the water, and she was such a minor character that I never bothered committing it to memory. I didn't really put 1 and 1 together until I started seeing posts about it. I posted before, but the biggest connection I made between the two was the picture from season 1's arc and her baseball cap in the hospital being the same. Her face? A total blur.

edit: She definitely does look older (not 40 though, jeez). I don't think she does the five year transition as well as Oliver does in the looks department. Oliver manages to look younger on the Island, no doubt thanks to the longer hair. Flashback Sara looks pretty much like she does as Black Canary.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Warmachine posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't remember exactly what the original actress looked like? Most of the time the shot was of her sliding under the water, and she was such a minor character that I never bothered committing it to memory. I didn't really put 1 and 1 together until I started seeing posts about it. I posted before, but the biggest connection I made between the two was the picture from season 1's arc and her baseball cap in the hospital being the same. Her face? A total blur.

I thought the original actress looked a lot more like Laurel and had brown hair. I was kind of taken aback at that, but meh, comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The original Sara looked like Sarah Chalke in that episode.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Warmachine posted:

edit: She definitely does look older (not 40 though, jeez). I don't think she does the five year transition as well as Oliver does in the looks department. Oliver manages to look younger on the Island, no doubt thanks to the longer hair. Flashback Sara looks pretty much like she does as Black Canary.

I have absolutely no idea how the original actress looked like. I did not pay attention because she was assumed to be dead, so the recast does not bother me at all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WarLocke posted:

Ice to see you

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Weather Wizard played by John Hannah!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW has announced another DC comic show in development, this time its Hourman but instead of the regular comic book version of the character (Rex Tyler, a chemist who creates Miraclo which is a drug that gives him superpowers for exactly one hour) they're giving him the ability to see one hour into the future.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The CW has announced another DC comic show in development, this time its Hourman but instead of the regular comic book version of the character (Rex Tyler, a chemist who creates Miraclo which is a drug that gives him superpowers for exactly one hour) they're giving him the ability to see one hour into the future.

Kind of an odd choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure the seeing one hour into the future thing was his power in the comics for a while. That's the Hourman I remember at least. Still, don't think this character is viable for a TV show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Kind of an odd choice.

It honestly sounds like someone pitching a bog standard sci-fi procedural, a la Early Edition/Seven Days/Tru Calling and some executive figured they could punch it up by adding some of those comic book property thingies the kids like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Kind of an odd choice.

The third Hourman had a similar power to this in addition to the drug enhanced strength and stamina so it's not really that odd.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The question I have (see that's a pun on my name.) is Sarah appeared in a number of episodes on Season 1. I specifically remember in an episode where Ollie was shown in flashback meeting with Laurel in front of the boat, hiding Sarah from seeing her.

I am sure that in that episode, Sarah was deliberately not shown. So I think if we look back over Season 1, Sarah is in a few episodes, but I distinctly remember them hiding her in other episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The third Hourman had a similar power to this in addition to the drug enhanced strength and stamina so it's not really that odd.

I mean picking Hourman as opposed to which version of his powers they use.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Hourman??? :confused:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Question IRL posted:

The question I have (see that's a pun on my name.) is Sarah appeared in a number of episodes on Season 1. I specifically remember in an episode where Ollie was shown in flashback meeting with Laurel in front of the boat, hiding Sarah from seeing her.

I am sure that in that episode, Sarah was deliberately not shown. So I think if we look back over Season 1, Sarah is in a few episodes, but I distinctly remember them hiding her in other episodes.

I think the actress only did a couple scenes in the pilot episode. And the scene of her being washed away may have popped up once or twice more. They definitely didn't show her any more than that.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

TheChad posted:

Hourman??? :confused:

I always really liked Hourman, but I think what I liked most about him was his costume. And there's about zero chance in hell they'll be using that part of the character. :/

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Googling a picture I could see how you could get close and not be ridiculous. Black clothes/hood with some hourglass related symbol on it.

Seriously though, I have never ever heard of hourman. Weird freakin choice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

It honestly sounds like someone pitching a bog standard sci-fi procedural, a la Early Edition/Seven Days/Tru Calling and some executive figured they could punch it up by adding some of those comic book property thingies the kids like.

For real though, 7 Days was awesome and UPN should of given it another season or two.

Also, Hourman taking a pill for powers will lead to tons of boner jokes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheChad posted:

Googling a picture I could see how you could get close and not be ridiculous. Black clothes/hood with some hourglass related symbol on it.

Seriously though, I have never ever heard of hourman. Weird freakin choice.

Maybe Oliver will be happy at some other dude in a hood fighting crime.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP02lfoCZ0c#t=25

Because I didn't realize Caity Lotz was this awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qbert posted:

Aaaaaaand I'm in love.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qbert posted:

Next time on Arrow, Black Canary starts breakdance fighting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Next time on Arrow, Black Canary starts breakdance fighting.

Honestly? They could probably use her dance background and throw some capoeira into the fight scenes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This is an awesome show starring awesome people. Between Barrowman's impromptu musical and now an honest-to-god break dancer in the cast the set of Arrow must be the most weirdly fantastic place to work.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Phylodox posted:

This is an awesome show starring awesome people. Between Barrowman's impromptu musical and now an honest-to-god break dancer in the cast the set of Arrow must be the most weirdly fantastic place to work.

Wait Barrowman music video? How did I miss that... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Phylodox posted:

Don't forget Summer Glau was a professional ballet dancer.

• Locked thread