Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Kerzoro posted:

So I have recieved my Leviathan models after almost a year of production (I wanted them all together, so I didn't get the FIRST model when it came out alone). The leviathan mortis is mine, with the other model going to a friend, and I spent all of yesterday evening and today morning putting it together. It is REALLY COOL and I love its articulations. Have some pictures!

Solo

Next to an Ork Kommando

Next to an armless Stompa

... I'm totally gonna have to loot it for my orks.

That is awesome and considerably larger than I had originally thought for some reason. I'll have to find one - are they selling them retail yet/ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a Dreadnought-sized one as well as the Titan-sized one.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Zhent posted:

That is awesome and considerably larger than I had originally thought for some reason. I'll have to find one - are they selling them retail yet/ever?

It looks like the 28mm Leviathan is for sale along with some of the troops. The big robot itself is 120 at the Dreamforge website, although it's not the Mortis version.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
Posters have arrived for Deck of Legends and the fabric has been received for the dice bags.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thedandmom posted:

Posters have arrived for Deck of Legends and the fabric has been received for the dice bags.

These are gorgeous :3:

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

S.J. posted:

These are gorgeous :3:

Yes they are. I'm glad I ordered extras of all of them.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This looks pretty interesting...I'm tempted to back it for some cheap and easy Infinity terrain.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-modular-terrain

I came in here to post this, this is the nicest no-effort terrain I've seen at a reasonable price. $113 for this:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

TastyAvocado posted:

I came in here to post this, this is the nicest no-effort terrain I've seen at a reasonable price. $113 for this:

Do you figure it'd be any good for Infinity? I'm looking to get into the game with a few friends but not sure it's quite what the game calls for.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Direwolf posted:

Do you figure it'd be any good for Infinity? I'm looking to get into the game with a few friends but not sure it's quite what the game calls for.

Yeah, it looks like it probably would, but as usual it depends on how you lay it out.

That stuff looks pretty good. I'd probably want to hear some more from people who have played on it as to how durable it is. Did anyone use that stuff that Wyrd put out, and how did it hold up?

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Ryuutama is live! In about half an hour it's already nearing 25% funded.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
God drat Canadian shipping is brutal. I know it's not anyone's fault but man, I hate that it's gotta be that way, I would love to have that in physical, but not eighty dollars love.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
Whoops posted this in the wrong thread earlier:

Only have like 15 hours left and Three Days Until Retirement is just over 9K. Thanks all y'all for supporting the project and stuff.

Here's some more art:

Current stretch goals include a FAN CLUB PACK and supplemental rules for suburban surreal horror. At $10,000 there'll be more art and more supplemental content.

http://kck.st/1fOARmo

Thanks everybody!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Gasperkun posted:

I just bumped it over the edge. This heartwarming journey is just getting started.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DNA Cowboys posted:

I just bumped it over the edge. This heartwarming journey is just getting started.

Only because I couldn't remember my Amazon password.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a Dreadnought-sized one as well as the Titan-sized one.

I've got a clubmate who went a bit crazy on them. Real nice. The small one's bigger then a Dreadnought, smaller than a Riptide - more like in the neighborhood of a Dreadknight.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Christ on a cracker, USPS, that's not heartwarming at all. :negative:

Guess I'll just opt for the Electronic++ tier and hope I can pick up the physical book from a store later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Germ posted:

I've got a clubmate who went a bit crazy on them. Real nice. The small one's bigger then a Dreadnought, smaller than a Riptide - more like in the neighborhood of a Dreadknight.

I put $575 into it and it got me:

quote:

3x Eisenkern Stormtroopers - Twenty Man Rifle Squad (20 men) $29.00 per, $88.00 total
3x Eisenkern Trooper Accessory Pack (3 accessory pack(s) for free)
2x 28mm Leviathan Crusader $75.00 per, $150.00 total
2x Free Capacitor Coolers
2x Free Excalibur Combat Sword
2x Free Twin Vulkans
5x Ada - Little Lady with a Big Gun (1 Ada figure for free) $2.00 per, $8.00 total
5x Feral Shadowkesh and Handler (1 Shadokesh & Handler figures for free) $4.00 per, $16.00 total
Stage 1 Total: $262.00

Stage 2 - Shipping March 2013
Product Unit Price Qty Total
28mm Leviathan Mortis $75.00 2 $150.00
Free Capacitor Coolers 2
Free Twin Vulkans 2
Stage 2 Base Shipping: $7.00
Stage 2 Total: $157.00

Stage 3 - Shipping May 2013
Product Unit Price Qty Total
Eisenkern Heavy Support Squad $8.00 3 $25.00
Eisenkern Heavy Assault Squad $8.00 3 $25.00
Eisenkern 'Valkir' Squad $32.00 3 $99.00
Stage 3 Base Shipping: $7.00
Stage 3 Total: $156.00

Shipping Option: Ship when ready Grand Total: $575.00

You chose to have your items shipped as they are ready. They will be shipped a stage at a time.
Pledged Already: $550.00
Additional Pledge: $25.00

So for $575 I get 60 light infantry(Guardsmen), 45 90 heavy infantry(space marine/terminator equivalents), 4 Leviathans(Titans), 5 Ayas, 5 Shadokesh, and a crapload of free unit upgrades. And they're on par if not better than GW stuff.

edit: forgot, the Valkir sets have 20 Valkir each, not 5. So it's a considerably better deal than before.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So the Robotech RPG: Tactics KickStarter has descended into farce, as the head of Palladium Books announced that - despite telling the backers they have been 'nearly done' in most updates since May - the rulebook layout has not been finalised, and the minis have still not been finalised or approved by Harmony Gold. Because of that, they lost their manufacturing slot at the Chinese factory, and their December release date is totally shot, not to mention the "maybe an early release in November" some horribly out of his depth PR guy let out in August.

If they finish everything now, they can get a slot at the factory and get things done before Chinese New Year, when everyone in China apparently takes two weeks off work, but that's unlikely - which means their newly announced shipping date of February is also not going to happen, meaning it's really April next year at the earliest, and given their low warehouse worker numbers, more likely to take until September.

Some people rightly complained in the comments, and a guy who may or may not be a Palladium employee went off the deep end and gave everyone a spray that amounted to "If you don't like it, gently caress off and buy somewhere else"

They've also managed to throw their partner Ninja Division, the guys who did all the sculpting, under the bus by blaming them for the delays in public messages several times. To their credit, Ninja Division haven't said a word, and have already moved on to another KS collaboration, the upcoming Battle Boards by them, Games & Gears and Hawk Wargames.

I've never had contact with Palladium Books before, but I'm reading customer service that makes EA look professional, unreasonably lengthy delays, total lack of communication and the head guy Kevin Siembieda's rampant egotism are par for the course, so just hoping to get my little Robotech mans some time in 2014 at this stage.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Wow. I am so glad that I didn't find that demo exciting at all and decided not to back this game. What a clusterfuck.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
As much as I enjoy kicking Palladium around, I'd like to know whose head this is really on before pointing fingers and told-you-sos. If they've been doing a lovely job playing gatekeeper then yeah, that's definitely their problem. Otherwise, lovely overseas communication or unforeseen development hurdles aren't exactly rare. At least, at this point, it's just delays.

Ten to one though, we won't see another licensed Palladium product for a long time, if ever, after this.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Giving the track history involved I'm assuming it's Palladium's fault and Keven Siembieda is sitting at a desk in his cavern somewhere with the text for the rulebook and a bunch of x-acto knives, painstakingly doing the layout by hand.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Even if it isn't their fault, it's lovely and unprofessional to publicly blame your partner for delays.

From what I understand, the rules layout not being done cannot be the fault of anyone but Siembieda, and supposedly he took the rules writing duties away from Ninja Division unceremoniously because the RPG rules are 'his'.

Certainly lying about how much work had been done all this time is their fault.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Christ. If he's actually ended up doing writing beyond the foreword, I'm glad I skipped it.

For the rest? Yeah, absolutely. No argument.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Good to know Palladium is still just as lovely as they were ten years ago when we played Rifts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The delay is no surprise to anybody who isn't employed at Palladium Books. After seeing Ninja Division's update last month, it seemed like it would be a Christmas miracle to get it out by the end of the year. Palladium Books generally schedules in a dream world where everything works right and nothing could possibly go wrong. And so, when things inevitably do, there's all sorts of bowing and scraping but never an attempt to solve the problem that leads to Palladium's unrealistic announcements in the first place.

I did a bit of research to find out about the guy talking crap at the backers, and I found out the secret origin of the Robotech kickstarter. See, there was this guy called Tom Roache, who in early 2012, had a dream of tiny Robotechs. He starts talking about on miniatures sites and tries to get support for his fan game. He even contacts Paulson Games, a small-time minis sculptor, to have some fan minis done, which look quite nice.

In the meanwhile, a number of vocal Palladium fans had been clamoring for Robotech minis or a minis game. Siembieda had talked with Tommy Yune about the idea of Robotech figures, but ultimately Palladium doesn't do board or miniatures games. As this kind of idea is floating around the Palladium office, Tom Roache gives them a call. Kevin calls him back and they hit it off, and Tom mentions he already has a set of rules ready. Kevin then goes to Harmony Gold and gets the greenlight, and they contact Soda Pop Miniatures to see if they'd be interesting, as well as other mini folks to work on the project. Paulson Games is removed from the project, and Paulson claims Palladium is looking to cut costs by hiring cheap sculptors. At some point Tom Roache was just demoted from designer to being a playtest coordinator, and is replaced with Carmen Bellaire (Palladium), David Freeman (Soda Pop Miniatures) and Alessio Cavatore (freelancer). It's unclear how much Roache still has to do with his project at this point, but he clearly considers it his baby, judging from his mama-bear response on his blog.

Yes, in case you haven't puzzled it out yet, Tom Roache is WilhelmRochRedDuke, the one talking poo poo at the kickstarter backers.

To me, Tom Roache's unprofessional response (though he's almost a dead-ringer for Siembieda's train-of-thought writing style) isn't the most embarrassing thing here, but the realization that Palladium took a fan project, stripped it of ideas, and then threw the creators out. It's a similar thing as to what happened with Dead Reign, really, so it shouldn't keep surprising me, but it's still :doh:

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 4, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I love the soap-opera levels of drama that are attached to some KS projects. I feel bad for the backers sure, but I love me some sweet sweet schadenfreude.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

I love the soap-opera levels of drama that are attached to some KS projects. I feel bad for the backers sure, but I love me some sweet sweet schadenfreude.

Based on rumors and stories that have circulated around the hobby-industry for some time, this is part and parcel of operating with Siembieda. The comment upthread about doing layout in a dark room with Xacto knives is pretty much spot on for things I have heard about how he works, or has worked in the past, though I heard also that he has actually modernized somewhat in recent years and does layout on a computer now. Is it true? Who knows. But he is fairly well-known for being rather possessive of Palladium stuff, to the point where he might have wrecked some deals in the past over it.

Have some notifications about lesser-known and very new Kickstarter projects which may or may not interest:

Fellwater Tales is an RPG based on a book series written by the same dude who did the novels. He's worked on the game for some time now, and the premise is that gods and heroes and monsters are basically just ordinary people who are... stronger, faster, etc. and they get myths attached to them, and you are descended from them.

Corporia is fantasy cyberpunk that isn't necessarily Shadowrun. It's the future, things have turned into something of a dystopia, and the Knights of the Round Table have reincarnated (in response?). In so doing, they have torn holes in reality and weirdness is loose so they have to fight it. You play one of the knights, led by the reincarnation of Lancelot as a CEO, and you work with/under him, as well as his assistant, Nimue the sorceress, and the powerful AI, Merlin.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Palladium Books has used computers for about five years now for its publishing, I've heard it directly from ex-Palladium employees. You'll just have to let the image go. :(

Corporia looks pretty interesting, I don't know if it's my bag but it certainly is an odd duck.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Corporia makes me think of Camelot 3000, by way of a Saturday morning cartoon from the Eighties. I think it's the bit with Merlin the AI doing it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm also reminded of Camelot 3000, mostly by Lancelot being the cool dude CEO who funds everything. Hopefully less weird asian stereotypes. Hopefully more moments of "Women can love women and men men, it's not the middle ages anymore."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No offense but, uh, this is awful, why would you use this?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Gasperkun posted:

Oh man, I've been looking forward to this! Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to just get the PDF, because that +40 to shipping outside of the US is a bit ridiculous for me.

That game looks so amazingly cute and heart warming.

Cheneybeast
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I think it's awesome, for what it's worth.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah that's not even a little bad. It's amazing to see a game with its own art style, especially in an industry that seems allergic to diversity.

My Wrath of Kings survey came, so check your inbox if you backed. I'm probably picking up a ton of base inserts and a giant Frankenstein and not-Bloodthirster.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Mors Rattus posted:

You're joking, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My eyes are inexorably drawn to the hands, which look absolutely horrible and flipper like. The rest is likely taste, I find the style incredibly off putting in general, but the hands are legit awful.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I just can't tell what's going on in that picture. Are they toasting to something? Why are they both kissing their own hand/wrist, are they doing that hand-between makeout thing that kids do? Why do they both have a full set of shiners? I'm guessing that last one is just art style... but I'm intrigued and want to know more.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They're shotgunning the beers together.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh okay, now I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The art style reminds me a little of whoever did the illustrations in the first second edition of Paranoia, way back in the late 80s. Maybe with a touch of R. Crumb.

e. This guy:

e2: Jim Holloway

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 5, 2013

• Locked thread