Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

House Louse posted:

his endings are underrrated. the political thrillers that actually try to have proper endings just suck at it, at least in his sf it's deliberate

anathem becomes a completely different novel in the last quarter, with a different premise and different characters that inexplicably share the same name as earlier chapters

that novella-length final section isn't so bad in itself but it's painfully disconnected from the rest, hanging on a macguffin

it's not unsatisfying in the same way as, say, snow crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
yeah anathem gets really weird at the end

at a couple of points it literally just abruptly switches into a different narrative stream entirely; the rationale being that we're now seeing the story in a different universe where it turns out differently

it took me a couple of rereads of that part to get my head around it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thinking back on firefly inara was really all the worst parts of that show.

adam baldwin owns and is the best baldwin by miles

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah inara and mechanic waifu are terrible

and river phoenix, the psychic girl or whatever. she's the actual worst

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shaggar posted:

thinking back on firefly inara was really all the worst parts of that show.

na space prostitutes are the best idea but then it tried reeealllly hard to be like "b-b-b-but shes not just a prostitute hold on look at all this training she had not everyone wants just sex"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

yeah inara and mechanic waifu are terrible

and river phoenix, the psychic girl or whatever. she's the actual worst

thats some solid sexism you got going on when really kaylee is the best female character

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the assistant captain was also real bad as a female character but she wasn't nearly as annoying and forced

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

the assistant captain was also real bad as a female character but she wasn't nearly as annoying and forced

what no she was the worst. she was "stereotypical man behavior but actually a woman!!" through and through

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

what no she was the worst. she was "stereotypical man behavior but actually a woman!!" through and through

yeah she was very bad as a female character but joss whedon isn't nearly as bad at writing men so she ends up being very tolerable if you pretend she's just another guy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i'm not seeing it. if anything they laid it on with a trowel: oveblown girly-girl who is also a competent engineer seen doing and caring about her job

i didn't see any stereotypical man behavior, unless we restrict working with mechanical things to men

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

idk i thought they laid the femininity on thick with a trowel

ultimate girly girl who is also a competent engineer seen doing and caring about her job

yeah that's kaylee but he's talking about the second in command lady who is all man business

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah that's kaylee but he's talking about the second in command lady who is all man business

oh. yeah. tomboy stereotype hardcore

the only quality moments with that character pertained to her husband on board

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Yeah, I mean I completely respect it for that, its just that there are parts I'm reading where its obvious this would be 'the cool part' where he is basically describing Second Life or MMO's or whatever to a early 90s audience and I feel bad because its not having the intended effect.
gibson cyberspace is an astonishing multidimensional realm of fractal geometries and perfect visual representation
stephenson cyberspace is an amateurish ramshackle low-poly mess with ads plastered on every surface and giant talking dicks wandering around
i actually think you're receiving precisely the intended effect

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

yeh this

i dont think ive ever heard anyone complain about kaylee.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

anathem becomes a completely different novel in the last quarter, with a different premise and different characters that inexplicably share the same name as earlier chapters

that novella-length final section isn't so bad in itself but it's painfully disconnected from the rest, hanging on a macguffin

it's not unsatisfying in the same way as, say, snow crash

haven't read that one yet actually. but cryptonomicon has a great ending, diamond age's is open to possibility in a good way and snow crash's at least is deliberate unlike cobweb's/interface's failure to thrill.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
also i really enjoyed the baroque cycle

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeh this

i dont think ive ever heard anyone complain about kaylee.

she's just written way over the top and ham fisted but hey it's sci-fi. at least it's something new

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Usagi-Sauce posted:

gibson cyberspace is an astonishing multidimensional realm of fractal geometries and perfect visual representation
stephenson cyberspace is an amateurish ramshackle low-poly mess with ads plastered on every surface and giant talking dicks wandering around

stephenson cyberspace is today's second life

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

she's just written way over the top and ham fisted but hey it's sci-fi. at least it's something new

the entire series is silly and over the top. im trying to think of other series that arent exactly lighthearted but are clearly just to be enjoyed for what they are so they shouldnt be taken seriously.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

raruler posted:

stephenson cyberspace is today's second life

he only went wrong when he imagined that most people would want this to be their normal mode of interaction with the internet when even in the 1990s its major appeal was novelty value

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

anathem is also really good. at least the first thousand pages. the ending is, like so many stephenson novels, unsatisfying

i liked anathem all the way through, and liked snow crash as well. read the first book of the baroque cycle and just did not give a single gently caress though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

protip hes not actually a baldwin brother

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it must really suck being constantly mistaken as a lesser baldwin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a baldwin is a baldwin is a baldwin

unless it isn't

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
all baldwin brothers are baldwins, not all baldwins are baldwin brothers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

raruler posted:

all baldwin brothers are baldwins, not all baldwins are baldwin brothers

okay wow, hold on. you're gonna have to slow down here. you're going way too fast and just rapidfiring all of these concepts at me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i never understood how either of them would be better than a web browser tbh

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

i never understood how either of them would be better than a web browser tbh
they make for more exciting movies

compare the lawnmower man vs. the social network

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
the social network was the most realistic computer film since swordfish

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hubris.height posted:

snow crash is likely to be my next audible buy

ringworld is actually p good so far but its so awkward when sci fi writers have sex in their books. future sci fi writers: unless you're william gibson, just don't.

Larry Niven posted:

She ran her fingertips along the side of his neck. Now she was using both hands. She touched him on the chest, and here, and there, and suddenly Louis Wu was blind with lust.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've never seen it but i just imagine one long scene of mark zuckerberg and tom from myspace arguing while walking down the westwing hallway to awesome nin music

nothing will ever match my expectations so i havent seen it

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the weed of unprotected sex bears bitter fruit

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

welp; Doom the movie was an accurate representation of the game

it was dark

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
best part of the doom movie:

the rock, about to be dragged into zombie hell, looks directly into the camera and says "I'm not supposed to die!"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

best part of the doom movie:

the rock, about to be dragged into zombie hell, looks directly into the camera, and says "This isn't supposed to happen!"

"i'm not supposed to die!!" but yah i lolled :o:

despite fistfights being kinda out of place in the setting, the last fight was fun in that both guys were on beserker packs and so could take and dish out ridiculous damage.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

the weed of unprotected sex bears bitter fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
lol at people bitching about firefly's characterization being flat. the show lasted for like 9 episodes no poo poo they're underdeveloped. and their still better developed than like half of tng's main cast was after 7 seasons. like can you even name any personality traits that geordi has other than that he's goony as all living gently caress?

im not saying whedon is a great writer or anything but lol at expecting deep and meaningful characterizations from a network sci-fi show that got canned midway theough season 1

• Locked thread