Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Over Halloween, while in the throes of the worst flu I've ever had, I discovered a god awful channel called Pick. The body temperature induced delirium probably helped quite a bit, but I really felt like I was watching Alan Partridge's Tivo. Every programme all through the night (but one) looked like Crash, Bang Wallop What a Video. The other programme was this.

Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Pick is Sky's "advert" on Freeview.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

onoflalks posted:

Sorry to ruin high-brow-gameshow-and-lovely-contestant chat but there's definitely going to be a new series of Weekly Wipe (probably in January), so we can now start wow-poo poo-haircut-Brooker chat.

New series will have Philomena Cunk, Barry Shitpeas, and now Limmy, and hopefully no more awkward guest spots.

And there'll be a 2013-Wipe at the end of the year.

Ah awesome. I love Limmy even tho hes probably the strangest person I follow on twitter.

My favourite line in this is about Mrs Browns Boys.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So...I know that the current Never Mind The Buzzcocks isn't particularly popular around here, but for anyone who has seen last night's episode: was that thing with Huey Morgan a bit or was it genuine? He's been on the show a couple of times before and he never came across like that. Surely the fact that his songs were used in the next lines round didn't actually piss him off?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

onoflalks posted:

and now Limmy

Limmy is actually a really good fit for the show, if he's doing bits in the format Doug Stanhope had.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DominoDancing posted:

So...I know that the current Never Mind The Buzzcocks isn't particularly popular around here, but for anyone who has seen last night's episode: was that thing with Huey Morgan a bit or was it genuine? He's been on the show a couple of times before and he never came across like that. Surely the fact that his songs were used in the next lines round didn't actually piss him off?

Well apparently the dude has legitimate mental problems, but the whole things seems stagey as hell so who knows? Dude's responsible for the best pizza-slice vendors in Dublin, so he gets a pass in my book.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
He looked pretty loving annoyed so if it was staged he's an incredible actor. As are the Rizzlekicks. I only saw the last couple of minutes waiting for Newsnight so I'm not sure if anything untoward had happened earlier in the episode.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He seemed a bit off right from the start of the programme. I'm not sure what was going on there.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

goatface posted:

He seemed a bit off right from the start of the programme. I'm not sure what was going on there.

He didn't seem very fun loving!

I'll see my self out...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

onoflalks posted:

and now Limmy

gently caress. drat it, I loving hate Limmy.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He looked pretty loving annoyed so if it was staged he's an incredible actor. As are the Rizzlekicks. I only saw the last couple of minutes waiting for Newsnight so I'm not sure if anything untoward had happened earlier in the episode.

I was genuinely impressed by how well Rizzle Kicks handled the whole situation.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I was genuinely impressed by how well Rizzle Kicks handled the whole situation.

They are pretty natural hosts, especially as they were confident enough to start cracking gags at Hueys expense after he blew up.
He seemed pissed off for the whole episode, not just at the end. I don't really understand why he decided the best thing to do was smash a mug, but it made for pretty good TV and gets funnier the more you watch it.

Seems like all Buzzcocks needs is a host who is happy to take the piss out of the contestants. Most of the guest hosts are pretty straight and that leads for really really boring television. The best stuff has always been when they get a rise out of the contestant who is only there to pimp their latest book/single/tour/whatever.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Adam Buxton was the best buzzcocks host.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ineptmule posted:

Adam Buxton was the best buzzcocks host.

He an alien or sutin.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

He an alien or sutin.

Strangley long fingers!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

DominoDancing posted:

I think it's safe to assume that it was genuine, if only because it seems unlikely to me that Huey Morgan would agree to come across as a petulent, violent tosser just to get Buzzcocks' ratings up.

And yeah, nthing the praise for Rizzle Kicks. I thought they were both genuinely witty and handled it like champions, and the reaction to the mug was Amstell-esque.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

VogeGandire posted:

gently caress. drat it, I loving hate Limmy.

Why? I always thought he was a bit marmite but goons always seem to love him

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I can only assume the reason they keep getting Paul Foot on is because Noel Fielding likes having a much less funny version of himself around.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I disliked Limmy until I saw that vine compilation thing, which turned out to be oddly engrossing. Particularly around the second half where you begin getting flashes of disjointed narrative and characterisation among the mess of awkward mumbles and gurning. I find his actual sketches pretty dull but he's an interesting performer I guess.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

tentish klown posted:

They are pretty natural hosts, especially as they were confident enough to start cracking gags at Hueys expense after he blew up.
He seemed pissed off for the whole episode, not just at the end. I don't really understand why he decided the best thing to do was smash a mug, but it made for pretty good TV and gets funnier the more you watch it.

He'd react to the embarrassment of his reactions to his embarrassments and so on, in a spiral of shame, confusion and violence.

The saddest part was when he touched Phil Jupitus's arm near the end and was ignored.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Heavy_D posted:

Limmy is actually a really good fit for the show, if he's doing bits in the format Doug Stanhope had.

Doug Stanhope's still there.

Whorelord posted:

I can only assume the reason they keep getting Paul Foot on is because Noel Fielding likes having a much less funny version of himself around.

Paul Foot is much funnier than Noel Fielding, he doesn't just bust out poo poo like "oh man I saw some French people and they wore baguettes as some really skinny, bread-y jeans, it was amaaazing!"

thehustler posted:

Pick is Sky's "advert" on Freeview.

It used to be called Sky 3 and was Sky's first free-to-air channel and it was always as poo poo but got worse after Sky started Sky Atlantic and used up all their money for good stuff on that and just put on endless lovely and cheap reality programming on Pick.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Limmy's great. He's a troll on twitter but I would have thought goons should be able to appreciate some quality trolling.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Taff posted:

Why? I always thought he was a bit marmite but goons always seem to love him

Because I just can't find him funny. His shows feel like I'm watching something pre-edit, where he could cherrypick all of the poo poo to make a decent single episode over the length of a full series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Because I just can't find him funny. His shows feel like I'm watching something pre-edit, where he could cherrypick all of the poo poo to make a decent single episode over the length of a full series.

If you can't appreciate this sketch then I don't think there is much hope for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwfg_28f5s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Like I said, it seems like each episode has maybe one or two good sketches, but so much of it is just wank.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VogeGandire posted:

Like I said, it seems like each episode has maybe one or two good sketches, but so much of it is just wank.

So this is different from other sketch shows because...?

Limmy does have some bad sketches but the ones he gets right are loving great. Plus to me for some reason he just seems like a cool guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Limmy Show is mostly miss over hit, Limmy's true appeal is in the truly unsettling/weird internet videos he's been making for the past decade.

Plus of course the World of Glasgow podcast which was an impressive achievement of interlinking character monologues in a daily bite sized chunks. He's on Vine now, his Vine's are like nightmares.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

NaDy posted:

So this is different from other sketch shows because...?

Limmy does have some bad sketches but the ones he gets right are loving great. Plus to me for some reason he just seems like a cool guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w

I love falconhoof, but I also like some of the more not so funny ones he does. This is one of my favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHNVwxJEeU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I havent seen Eggheads in ages, but a few of them are on the One Show right now and Daphne looks so old and sounds awful. Shes retiring from Eggheads apparently

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Taff posted:

I love falconhoof, but I also like some of the more not so funny ones he does. This is one of my favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHNVwxJEeU

This one is so great because it's very true (in part) to me, my friends and people I know. Your big group of friends would go over to Millport and have a whale of a time just hanging out, cycling around the island and jumping off the pier etc. I honestly believe every word he says in that sketch as what he actually feels, it's sad and kinda sweet at the same time. Simpler times :unsmith:

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Has anyone been watching Masterchef?

Petrus and his smile need to go far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Can someone not just punch Cherry Healey. She's clearly trying to do the Louis Theroux thing but without any of the actual charm or insight.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm enjoying EastEnders at the moment, Sleeping pills, Strangulation, Sociopaths, Stabbings and Screaming. I'd assumed they were saving this one for Christmas.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That can only mean that at Christmas they'll give you the apocalypse.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Why does Greg Wallace turn into an unbearable megamong when Torode isn't alongside him?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Eastenders Christmas is going to feature a main character quietly dying in the Vic while watching a young female character get sexually assaulted outside on Christmas eve. All the other main characters will be standing around commenting on how cheerful they look and how happy [female character] has been lately.

Then the Christmas day episode will just be a real time cut between a bunch of different dinner tables as people sit around trying to avoid each others gaze, unable to find a single thing to say to cover up the tinny christmas jingles playing quietly in the background.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Can someone not just punch Cherry Healey. She's clearly trying to do the Louis Theroux thing but without any of the actual charm or insight.

How does she compare to Stacey Dooley? I once watched a programme where she investigated[sic] Muslim and anti-Muslim extremists. Her investigative technique involved meeting people and turning up at events and asking people why they all just couldn't get along and be nice and each of these encounters was followed by a long monologue explaining in detail the emotions she was feeling as a result of what had just happened.

The programme was called Stacey Dooley investigates: My Hometown Fanatics. I reckon this programme resulted from someone at the BBC having recognized how much better investigative documentaries tend to do if they're given a subject slant through the presenter, then making the erroneous supposition that programme quality would continue to improve in direct proportion to the amount of investigation discarded in favour of slant. Because there's no investigation from Stacey Dooley. Just slant.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

sex pervert posted:

How does she compare to Stacey Dooley? I once watched a programme where she investigated[sic] Muslim and anti-Muslim extremists. Her investigative technique involved meeting people and turning up at events and asking people why they all just couldn't get along and be nice and each of these encounters was followed by a long monologue explaining in detail the emotions she was feeling as a result of what had just happened.

The programme was called Stacey Dooley investigates: My Hometown Fanatics. I reckon this programme resulted from someone at the BBC having recognized how much better investigative documentaries tend to do if they're given a subject slant through the presenter, then making the erroneous supposition that programme quality would continue to improve in direct proportion to the amount of investigation discarded in favour of slant. Because there's no investigation from Stacey Dooley. Just slant.

My girlfriends dad posted a link to this the other day on facebook (it was shared from someone else who had added "All British People Should Watch This") I cant believe shes hosted more than one show. Was ridiculously over the top, tho I did learn that Luton is the extremist capital of Britain.

I looked her up and saw a quote about her that shes "so open minded her brains may fall out" which is a fair comment.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sex pervert posted:

They're almost certainly the same person. Cherry Healey is obviously going for the Theroux "Be totally impartial on every subject and let the interviewee set themselves up" except she doesn't come across as a pleasant, inquisitive person like Theroux does, she just comes across as absolutely clueless, like she didn't do her research beforehand.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
It makes me sad when theres no comments on Misfits in here.

Im watching it right now and the Probation worker is amazing. Oh wait, WAS amazing, no wait, IS amazing

edit : Jesus this episode was great.

The Big Taff Man fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taff posted:

Im watching it right now and the Probation worker is amazing. Oh wait, WAS amazing

Finn looks so much like a 15 year old that it just felt very uncomfortable to me.