Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I used to look for the 'secret' places 'off the beaten track' but quickly realized that this meant 1) there are very few people to actually hang out with, since there are almost no tourists and the locals speak no English (this happened a lot on my bicycle tour from Thailand to Cambodia to Vietnam to Laos to Thailand - it was fun the first few times but it gets a bit boring), 2) things are more expensive for me, because there's less competition and the locals know they can charge me tourist prices - the exception is food, 3) the amenities are typically terrible, while I still pay a lot.

As for somewhere to snorkel, Koh Tao is indeed great, but November is the one month out of the whole year when the diving and snorkeling is typically, although not always (last year it was great, for instance), really terrible - low vis, lots of storms, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Oracle posted:

There is actually a thickener (alginate) made from seaweed used in milkshakes and cheaper ice cream, this may be where the confusion stems.
Carrageenan!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MrNemo posted:

I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur teaching English, assuming the locust thing refers to food I'd be happy to show a goon around but I don't know if there's anyone else about here. Bangkok seems to be the happening hub.

There's a Singapore lurker goon in KL right now. He misses being in Beijing :china: If you can hook him up with a lady friend that would be super awesome. Not the RingoR kind If you have wechat you can give him a holler, or if you want to hang out then I can pass along the message.

I remote wiped my phone :ohdear: But nobody really uses a phone number. Line/WeChat/Kakao is where it's at. To hell with Whatsapp.

caberham fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you find caberham's phone there should be plenty of numbers on it, that's all I'm saying!

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

eviljelly posted:

As for somewhere to snorkel, Koh Tao is indeed great, but November is the one month out of the whole year when the diving and snorkeling is typically, although not always (last year it was great, for instance), really terrible - low vis, lots of storms, etc.

There are all sorts of low season deals here right now, but not sure if I'd recommend it for snorkeling now with the storms. They don't last all day but I'd be unhappy if the day I picked to snorkel was a stormy day :( while with diving, you don't really notice it until you surface or on the boat ride to the sites.

It was POURING when I did my pool session and my instructor and I just stayed underwater the whole time because it was warmer down there, writing on a slate :v:

And I start my deep/nitrox/wreck diving class tomorrow. I really need to get off the island before I bankrupt myself but it's just so much fun.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I don't wanna be 'that guy' who tells you to stop spending money, but you can have a lot more fun by just doing fun dives and going to places with good diving, like pretty much everywhere in the Philippines or parts of Malaysia.

EDIT: At the very least get off the island before you start tech diving :D

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 5, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I don't really have enough time to head to Malaysia or Philippines on this trip before I need to go home. Heck, I've barely seen Cambodia. I want to return when I have the money and time again though.

And I definitely don't have enough to get to the min number of dives required for intro to tech + the course :v:

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Hi guys. My lady and I are traveling to Cambodia and Vietnam this week, and I was wondering what kind of options (if any) there are for data plans out there. My phone is unlocked, so I'd just need a prepaid sim card from someone. Are there any local providers you can recommend? Maybe a business who specializes in tourists…

If not I suppose I'll have to pay the $25 or so for the measly 250mb that Verizon offers for international data.

Thanks for the help.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
For Vietnam, buy a Mobifone SIM (about $5) and then buy another 100,000 dong recharge (another $5) then text "DK MIU" to 999, it will remove 75,000 dong from your credits. Then you'll have 500MB of 3G data good for a month.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Go with that Vietnam one, it's super easy to pick up the SIM at the airport and they generally speak enough English there to make it simple.

Also note on e-visas for Cambodia. The website is actually incredibly impressive for any country but especially SEA in terms of ease of use and effectiveness. As long as you have access to a printer it's totally painless and just takes a day or two for approval (it also means you can avoid the pain of trying to find a place to do visa photos to the right size/background/etc. A selfie on your cameraphone with a neutral background in jpg is enough). On the other hand it's like $5 more than just getting it at the airport but the convenience is pretty cool.

Kind of wish some other countries spent that sort of time on making entry easy. Also I really need to get a new WeChat account since I stopped using a Chinese number and had to replace my phone and now cannot remember the password.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
If you going to stick around just Phnom Penh and Siam Reap Mobitel was the best for data, Metfone is the best for getting coverage in the middle of no where. I just had Metfone and paid $5 for some data that lasted me a month. Every corner a shop will be selling sim cards, mobile phones and credit. You can't not find a sim card in Cambodia

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Finch and eviljelly are sometimes on Koh Tao romancing Swedish tourists

I left on Sunday, and now I'm back in Sunny Adelaide :smith:

Actually, it's a good thing. There's more important junk for me to do here than there is for me to do there at the moment, and it's not possible to do the here junk properly by doing it remotely. I have no idea when I'll be back. This was the first time I've left Koh Tao without being even a little upset by doing so. I've changed.

I did go via Bangkok, but arrived late on Sunday and caught up with some Koh Tao people on Monday night before doing a stupid Bangkok -> Singapore -> Kuala Lumpur -> Adelaide thing starting yesterday and ending today.

Tomato Soup posted:

And I start my deep/nitrox/wreck diving class tomorrow. I really need to get off the island before I bankrupt myself but it's just so much fun.

Did you do AOW with Dave? I told him to say "hi!" for me. Kick his rear end if he didn't :v:

Sorry I couldn't catch up - most of my last week and a bit there was spent either packing my poo poo and sending it home or in some kind of debaucherous drunk state.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 6, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

The Vietnam VoA wasn't too bad either. Only works if you enter via air though. But it was super easy, I just found the cheapest site offering letter of invitations (google "vietnam visa" and you'll find 500000 sites offering LoIs) and got mine within a day or two. Printed it out, took the stamping fee in USD ($45ish I think, varies based on which visa you get) with me to the airport. When I arrived, I just headed to the visa counter and filled out a form after dropping off the letter and fee. I was supposed to bring a photo too but I forgot :shobon: So they took one for me in the airport at no extra charge which was pretty nice. I wasn't the only one who forgot a photo either :v: Had to do a short wait in the airport which wasn't too bad, maybe 15-20 minutes or so.

Finch! posted:

Did you do AOW with Dave? I told him to say "hi!" for me. Kick his rear end if he didn't :v:

I did! And he didn't :( I'll kick his rear end today if I see him around. Did he tell you why I had to switch from Jules to him? If not, ask him.

Do you go by Finch in real life too so I don't have to awkwardly go "well I know some dude who worked here that goes by Finch online on a forum that we're both on I don't know his name and he told you to say hi to me but you didn't and now I have to kick your rear end :mad:" If not, PM me or post it here if you don't care.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I guess I'm not so special after all, but this explains it: Nationals of the US, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy now get 30 days entry at all Thai land borders.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

When did that change? I entered by land in July and got 15 days.

Edit: I'm a :911:

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Tomato Soup posted:

I did! And he didn't :( I'll kick his rear end today if I see him around. Did he tell you why I had to switch from Jules to him? If not, ask him.

Do you go by Finch in real life too so I don't have to awkwardly go "well I know some dude who worked here that goes by Finch online on a forum that we're both on I don't know his name and he told you to say hi to me but you didn't and now I have to kick your rear end :mad:" If not, PM me or post it here if you don't care.

Aaah he tends to forget, he did have a beer in his hand!

I do - I'm known as Finch at Big Blue and on most of Koh Tao. I only sign up to boats with my real name, which also confuses people because there are so many of us.

He did mention Jules' accident. Whoops!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

I guess I'm not so special after all, but this explains it: Nationals of the US, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy now get 30 days entry at all Thai land borders.

Hong Kong :china: had this privilege 10 years ago :smug: But our currency sucks :smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really tempted to just spend the two weeks in Saigon foodcrawling.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm really tempted to just spend the two weeks in Saigon foodcrawling.

Do it! So much awesome goodness. And the locals say that northern and central specialties are actually better in Saigon because the best chefs go there to work. Two weeks is the perfect length of time for that.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Thailand/Bangkok goons: if I buy an iPhone 5s from a random vendor at MBK, the chances of it being a fake are pretty much zero, right? I don't want to have to wait to get it through an official carrier.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can you even buy one in Thailand? I think they are inflated 20% or more right? But yeah, MBK shopping is fine. Iphones are hard to mimic, it's really easy to spot a fake one too. But I got burned buying some fake canon photo batteries. I should have known better when the official price in Thailand is expensive. Even the 3rd parties were bad. Go with RingoR or some other gear goon

Thailand sucks for electronic shopping. Like SEA, imports are weird. But great food and beaches!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Hong Kong :china: had this privilege 10 years ago :smug: But our currency sucks :smith:
We had it, then they revoked it for a bunch of countries with long-term tourist retirees who were using the land borders to get perpetual 30 day stamps (you know, instead of denying them further stamps like a normal country) and made land borders specifically 15 days. I'm surprised to hear if it's back. Interesting.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Finch, Dave forgot about it :v:

caberham posted:

Can you even buy one in Thailand? I think they are inflated 20% or more right? But yeah, MBK shopping is fine. Iphones are hard to mimic, it's really easy to spot a fake one too. But I got burned buying some fake canon photo batteries. I should have known better when the official price in Thailand is expensive. Even the 3rd parties were bad. Go with RingoR or some other gear goon

Thailand sucks for electronic shopping. Like SEA, imports are weird. But great food and beaches!

Now I'm glad I just ordered my replacement canon batteries from the states and had mom send me them in a care package. Two high capacity batteries with positive reviews on Amazon was cheaper than a single battery at MBK.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

We had it, then they revoked it for a bunch of countries with long-term tourist retirees who were using the land borders to get perpetual 30 day stamps (you know, instead of denying them further stamps like a normal country) and made land borders specifically 15 days. I'm surprised to hear if it's back. Interesting.

Yup, as of November 1. It's days like this I'm glad other people read ThaiVisa so I don't have to.

edit: And seriously, gently caress Teak Door. One time I was googling something about my town and I found a single, desperate Teak Door thread about it with advice on how to get that sweet, sweet Burmese migrant poon and hide it from your wife while on a visa run. What the Christ, man.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 6, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

caberham posted:

That reminds me of a story. A good friend of mine, while I was in Saigon, got his iphone 4 stolen at the infamous GO2 Bar (most of my friends got their phones stolen there at least once, sometimes twice - not me :smug:). Being drunk and high, he punched a taxi side mirror, eventually went home and realized he now needed a new phone. In his drunken stupor, he went to the HCMC airport and bought a ticket for the next flight to Tokyo, via Hong Kong. Once in HK, he realized that he did not have a visa for Japan so he went out of the airport and bought a new iphone. Turns out he was at the HK airport at the same time Snowden was there (medias were flocking everywhere trying to locate him) though he did not see him. He came back the next day at work with a new phone that he bought at a much cheaper price than what he would have paid in Saigon. Minus the last-second round-trip plane tickets of course.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

Yup, as of November 1. It's days like this I'm glad other people read ThaiVisa so I don't have to.

edit: And seriously, gently caress Teak Door. One time I was googling something about my town and I found a single, desperate Teak Door thread about it with advice on how to get that sweet, sweet Burmese migrant poon and hide it from your wife while on a visa run. What the Christ, man.
Yeah, we basically don't have a good expat forum here because the majority of our expats who would post online are pretty awful, in one way or another, and those who aren't are run off by the rest. I mean ThaiVisa is minus the girly bar talk, but they're awful in their own way. I have no idea if SubZeroSiam was good, but by the name I'm guessing no. It's gone anyway, heh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Getting drunk and high can be fun. But breaking things while drunk is probably a good indicator to stop drinking. I'm glad your friend got the phone business sorted out but I hope he's done being a drunken jerk.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

caberham posted:

Getting drunk and high can be fun. But breaking things while drunk is probably a good indicator to stop drinking. I'm glad your friend got the phone business sorted out but I hope he's done being a drunken jerk.

Oh totally. He stopped hanging out with us (I guess, partly out of shame and partly out of realizing he could use his time for other things - he's definitely not a jerk) and started to focus on his true calling, making iphone/W8 apps and all that. He was already into it, now he's Makin' Money. Happy ending!

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

MothraAttack posted:

My visa expired on the 30th of October so this wouldn't have worked as a cheap way to add time for me. I got upset for a second thinking that I went to the Samui immigration office for no reason but then :v:

And I just got a massive email about Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha :psyduck: I'm just wondering which hostel or whatever they got my email from. I think I'm going to give hostels a different email from now on so I don't get more poo poo like that.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah, I started seeing them around about a week after they came out in the US. They are definitely marked up, but the person I am researching this for seems unconcerned about price as long as it's unlocked and the real thing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, you can buy anything in Thailand, but if it's not regionally available (i.e. everything for at least 6 months after US release) it's always marked up as it's all couriered in. I typically just forego cutting edge gadgets or have a friend bring them back on a trip or something.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
This is the only place I can ask this because you are the only people on this forum who love me and cherish me and accept me as one of their own:

What the gently caress has happened to GBS?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

duckmaster posted:

This is the only place I can ask this because you are the only people on this forum who love me and cherish me and accept me as one of their own:

What the gently caress has happened to GBS?

mods removed the rules, turned GBS into FYAD lite. Lots of whinging from the usual GBS poo poo posters, hilarious content from others. It will revert in a while.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Someone needs a to make a payment on something, heh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So that means you can post pictures of your balls?

I always think there's just a thin line between FYAD / reddit / 4chan

I'm too dumb to get fyad but yospos is awesome

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So I'm finding $400ish tickets to Bangkok, $300 yo Hong Kong, and $500 to Myanmar. If i want to go to Myanmar what would come out cheaper. I remember getting great flights of of Hong Kong. Planning a few months in advance when your boss tells you vacation days is awesome. So many places i still want to go. May just rent a scooter and spend two weeks going north to south in Vietnam. Learn to relax in Laos. Hike and eat in Indonesia. Learn to scuba in Thailand (make up for the ethnobotany conference i missed because of an absent minded professor), motorbike around in Burma because screw this trains.

Do we have any guys in India? I'm skipping Europe and Central Asia because of death cold.

What are the cheapest flight hubs and easy visas for Americans?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
HONG loving KONG. Please substitute for that other white guy. He just likes money too much and pork not enough.

This time I will location scout a room. You know I will feed you like a king. Or don't come, I'm too ashamed of cancelling Korean goonsgiving....I can't face you anymore, even stuffing you with.Those muslim beef pies don't work.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

So that means you can post pictures of your balls?

I always think there's just a thin line between FYAD / reddit / 4chan

I'm too dumb to get fyad but yospos is awesome

When I was first on the forums (2000? I don't have that account any more, lost track of it when I lived in China) FYAD was where you were allowed to poo poo post and make personal (well, semipersonal) attacks on other forum users. It functioned as a segregation system which kept the rest of the forums much cleaner than any other forum back then (there was no :10bux: then though so things were still a lot looser than now). People noticed post count in those days too, so the negative count in FYAD was supposed to either discourage too much poo poo posting or mark people who were likely making fun of you. It became the natural habitat of people who were actually good at making fun of other people on the internet and these people befriended eachother. Like the appendix FYAD is now vestigial (doubly so once Twitter started sapping talent), why it's there is not understandable without its history but it also doesn't serve it's old function due to atrophy. I'm any case it went from a general access poo poo barn to a functional unit of the forum that attacked less desirable forum elements to a group of maybe fifty people who used it as a hangout after seeing each other post there a lot to a group of like six people doing the same thing today. At current going into FYAD is like walking up to a circle of people you don't know and yelling over their backs to try to start a conversation -- not easy to get anywhere with that.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Senso posted:

Do it! So much awesome goodness. And the locals say that northern and central specialties are actually better in Saigon because the best chefs go there to work. Two weeks is the perfect length of time for that.

Any specific suggestions? Heading there tomorrow.

This is probably like my 10th post on the subject, but the thing I'll miss the most about Thailand is Isaan food, by far. Today, for example, I had a pork rib soup with the most drinkable broth I've ever had on earth. Seriously, when I'm done with Peace Corps, I'm going to take a survival Thai class, buy a motorbike, ride to Isaan, and beg an old lady to teach me as much as possible about cooking the cuisine. I'm going to come back to the states, cook these recipies for my friends, and show people that life exists beyond pad Thai and drunken noodkes (is that actually a thing in Thailand?)

I've seen larb at restaurants before. The meat is never minced, and it's served with leaves of iceburg lettuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The first person to popularize Larb Moo Tort in America is going to make a loving fortune. I mean you'll have to call it Thai Spicy Balls or Thai Fireballs or Super Spicy Ultra Mega Thai Bites or whatever, but they'll sell like hotcakes. Larb Moo Tort is new enough to (most of) Bangkok that I've introduced tons of people to it, even Thai people, and every single person is like THIS IS CRACK. What's not to like, right? Take larb, mush it up in a ball and fry it - serve with nam jim jao.

xcdude24 posted:

I've seen larb at restaurants before. The meat is never minced, and it's served with leaves of iceburg lettuce.
Yeah, it's almost universally awful. I mean I know there are some Thai restaurants that get good reviews for it, but I've never found them. Supposedly, up in North Houston there's a place called Isaan Village or something like that where it's good.

My favorite horrible Thai dish translation back home involves everyone putting bell peppers in Ga Pow instead of basil. I mean WTF.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 6, 2013