Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I think my winter wheels are getting a set of these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

So I think my winter wheels are getting a set of these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

There's nothing wrong with turning your car into a :krad: futurecar

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm so conflicted because it appears that this Cavalier is some how slightly less terrible.

My world has been turned upside down.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I dont remember the latest Cavaliers having that pointy nose, its slightly less terrible than the older ones.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure that front bumper isn't stock.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It is. The Cavalier got a facelift for the 03-05 years.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's arick

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It is. The Cavalier got a facelift for the 03-05 years.

All except for the interior, it was terrible. They would move decently in a straight line with the Ecotec too. I put 50,000 hard miles on an '05 and the only problem I had was a few squeaky interior bits. Not bad for a $12,000 new car.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
If it had gull wing doors it would be every 1980's TV show future car.... Funny thing is that it really is from the 80s.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

G-Mach posted:

Finally got the video of Ken Block being dumb and almost hitting spectators/marshals/photographers at the rally this weekend.
All of the amateur rally guys that I've talked to that have seen this can't believe he did what he did. This was one of the very few spectator areas in the whole rally as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t37sZuvDycI

Then, after that just down the road (less than a mile) he managed to flip his car what I was told seven times and destroyed it.

Rally has hard enough time in the USA as it is without this poo poo.

Sorry for bringing this up from way back, but seeing what he did, if on purpose is really poo poo but what baffles me as a Finn is that while you have set spectator areas, which we dont, that is really unsafe way of setting the area up with the safety zones, for me at least, having worked in Neste Oil Rally and multiple local rallies. In hairpins like that, spectators are usually not allowed into the inside tip or on the outside exit of the curve.

And a picture for the thread

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

CommieGIR posted:

That poor Audi :qq:
Likewise for the 944.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
924, I think. (fender doesn't look flared) Not as much of a loss.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

Those are loving cool, I don't even care.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Those look like what people from the 1950s thought wheels of the future would look like

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
My brother is looking for a sort-of beat-up, $2,000 or less truck for the upcoming winter so he can spare his other car the abuse. So he and I have been on the prowl for some trucks lately, and as we're passing by a nice little lot that's less than a mile away from my house, we spot a Toyota T100 in the back.

poo poo, a T100 is a nice truck! There's no price mentioned on it, but hell, let's take a look.

So as we approach the body has a few dings and nicks here and there, inspection due in January 2014, but no biggie for a cheap old truck, right? Then I stuck my head in the wheel well:

What the gently caress :stonk:

Then we realized the truck didn't have a price written on it for obvious reasons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ripoff posted:

My brother is looking for a sort-of beat-up, $2,000 or less truck for the upcoming winter so he can spare his other car the abuse. So he and I have been on the prowl for some trucks lately, and as we're passing by a nice little lot that's less than a mile away from my house, we spot a Toyota T100 in the back.

poo poo, a T100 is a nice truck! There's no price mentioned on it, but hell, let's take a look.

So as we approach the body has a few dings and nicks here and there, inspection due in January 2014, but no biggie for a cheap old truck, right? Then I stuck my head in the wheel well:

Then we realized the truck didn't have a price written on it for obvious reasons.

Free would be too expensive.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Ripoff posted:

Apt username for this truck at any price.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Holy poo poo. You're lucky those spring perches didn't snap off while you had your head under there.
You have to hope they took that in on trade to be nice (as well as make the owner feel less raped for taking out a 96 month note on a Sunbird) and it was headed to the yard Monday morning.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bugdrvr posted:

Holy poo poo. You're lucky those spring perches didn't snap off while you had your head under there.
You have to hope they took that in on trade to be nice (as well as make the owner feel less raped for taking out a 96 month note on a Sunbird) and it was headed to the yard Monday morning.

Yeah, I had the same idea. I was taking the picture and laughing about the screws until I realized that the spring perch they were haphazardly thrown into wasn't actually connected to the spring itself, then I realized that being under/around this thing was a really lovely idea.

All I can say is that I pray that they brought this thing to the lot on a flatbed as a trade-in, but I have a really, really bad feeling it drove there. :gonk:

That said, I am now feeling smug as all hell about my nonexistent welding skills, because I was actually able to lap weld things together without it looking like that frame "fix". Dude hit the Trifecta of gently caress between the nasty booger welds that don't even connect the two pieces of metal, the burn-through on the frame, and the machine screws thrown in there for good measure. How this thing managed to pass inspection last year is a mystery.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Toucan Sam posted:

Now try managing a garage that's main job is oil changes. Let's see how many times you can explain their Gm vehicle requires Dexos approved oil, cheapest oil change available is $30 plus tax, and getting the you shot my dog look.

Weird, I live in a small city and the oil changes here are all $30 plus for barebones mineral oil, and that's WITH a coupon.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, I had the same idea. I was taking the picture and laughing about the screws until I realized that the spring perch they were haphazardly thrown into wasn't actually connected to the spring itself, then I realized that being under/around this thing was a really lovely idea.

All I can say is that I pray that they brought this thing to the lot on a flatbed as a trade-in, but I have a really, really bad feeling it drove there. :gonk:

That said, I am now feeling smug as all hell about my nonexistent welding skills, because I was actually able to lap weld things together without it looking like that frame "fix". Dude hit the Trifecta of gently caress between the nasty booger welds that don't even connect the two pieces of metal, the burn-through on the frame, and the machine screws thrown in there for good measure. How this thing managed to pass inspection last year is a mystery.

Well there's no way in hell they would ever sell that thing so you can at least be glad it will never be on the road again, until the owner does the same to his new vehicle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't know what thread this belongs in:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

It belongs in the thread of the things of the car type that are of the good classification.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Somebody has flown on Kalula airlines.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

wallaka posted:

All except for the interior, it was terrible.

Back in 2002 I had an '01 Hyundai Elantra that I took in for a warranty repair (due to the door chime and dome light going off and on at random intervals like some weird disco party). I got a Cavalier as a rental and I couldn't believe how godawful it was inside compared to that Hyundai. The switchgear, the plastics, the seats, the overall design, all of it terrible. But at least it didn't give off random alarms and light shows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Delivery McGee posted:

My dad's work truck at one point was an F-250 that had a 351 with a blown rear main seal. Apparently the exhaust crossover passed under the exact point where the oil dripped out. It looked a lot like this:

I'm not exaggerating, if anything there was more smoke than in that picture.

Mine was also a 351, though it was a 351M instead of the more common Windsor.

Still had the same crossover pipe though. Whatever oil didn't burn on the exhaust wound up on the back bumper and tailgate. And the windshield of anyone stupid enough to get behind me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: Bug moisturizers.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Kill-9 posted:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I dunno.
I seem to recall a lot of lawsuits against priests on that subject...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

joat mon posted:

924, I think. (fender doesn't look flared) Not as much of a loss.
Oh, yeah. I was looking at this on my tablet and I wasn't wearing my glasses. You can see it's definitely a 924 from the shape of the front bumper.

Probably a 924S? They had Teledials. They also had the 2.5 engine from the 944, and also upgraded suspension and brakes. They were actually good cars, but were tarred with the same brush as the regular 924s which were admittedly a bit poor. My dad owned a 924 then a 944, and it's amazing how much better the 944 looks with it's flared arches, bigger front splitter and the rear wing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'll be going again this weekend, I can confirm if it's important?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

If you see a post-2002 Impreza saloon (bugeye, blobeye or hawkeye), I need the plastic trim that covers the inside of the boot lid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Find me an audi 20v head

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Can you find me a giant wad of cash? I don't care what car it comes out of.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

When did the art of negotiating fall into the sewers and disappear? I've had no less than 4 people call, text or email me about a car I have for sale and all of them basically resulted in this:

(Car is advertised for $3800)
Them: The price firm?
Me: Fairly. There's a little wiggle room with it.
Them: What would it take to come tow it off cash?
Me: What's your offer?
Them: Ur car just let me know.
Me: Well that's not how negotiations work. My asking price is listed at $3800. Your job is to counter offer.

(That's the actual conversation I just had via text a few minutes ago)

I learned how to negotiate a long time ago as a kid. I would be an idiot to throw out another number as it just gives them a lower number to counter against. Either they're smart enough to try and trip me up on that or they're dumb enough that they'd drop cash on whatever number I told them.

Sigh. I miss serious negotiating. Now it's like negotiating with elementary school kids.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Team140 posted:

When did the art of negotiating fall into the sewers and disappear? I've had no less than 4 people call, text or email me about a car I have for sale and all of them basically resulted in this:

(Car is advertised for $3800)
Them: The price firm?
Me: Fairly. There's a little wiggle room with it.
Them: What would it take to come tow it off cash?
Me: What's your offer?
Them: Ur car just let me know.
Me: Well that's not how negotiations work. My asking price is listed at $3800. Your job is to counter offer.

(That's the actual conversation I just had via text a few minutes ago)

I learned how to negotiate a long time ago as a kid. I would be an idiot to throw out another number as it just gives them a lower number to counter against. Either they're smart enough to try and trip me up on that or they're dumb enough that they'd drop cash on whatever number I told them.

Sigh. I miss serious negotiating. Now it's like negotiating with elementary school kids.

Yep, just had one of those on a car listed for $5000 OBO.

Them: Still available?
Me: Yes.
Them: How low would you go on price?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
It seems that a lot of younger people are not comfortable talking money. I see this when I'm selling anything on eBay/Craigslist. It definitely looks to be largely generational.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

It seems that a lot of younger people are not comfortable talking money. I see this when I'm selling anything on eBay/Craigslist. It definitely looks to be largely generational.

I am comfortable talking about money, I just know that I am bad with negotiations..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:corsair:

It's because you basically never have to haggle anymore. For anything. Cars and real-estate are the only two things I can really think of that anyone would be buying under normal circumstances which aren't just on a pricetag.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I always say, show up with cash, we will talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Michael Scott posted:

I am comfortable talking about money, I just know that I am bad with negotiations..

Well, that's at least one up on many of the people I've dealt with. Because people who aren't comfortable talking about money who are obviously interested in what you are selling are really easy to make some cash on.

Negotiating is all about posturing: figuring out who has the upper hand. And trying to make the other guy think you have it even if you don't.

Which brings us to the big issue with the example that was brought up: if you've already set a price there is never any reason you should set another one during a negotiation until you've been countered with a lower price than the one you've originally set. Anyone who knows the first thing about negotiating knows that. Team140 and Brigdh both obviously understand this.

Also, your counter should be educated. Don't offer me 50 cents on the dollar of my initial offer if my initial was anywhere close to being the ballpark. In either case (my offer being that far off or your counter being that far off) we're all just wasting time.