Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The hippie couple established they were inept at combat, saying they took half a clip to take down a walker, and implying they'd never tried to take down a walker with a sharp object before. That's why the woman died. Chances are she got surprised and bit and it doesn't really matter whether you summon help at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

etalian posted:

Carl is the chosen one.
Who are we to argue with the hat? The hat knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

poser posted:

Why do they not take more cars? Even if its a small crappy car they can use it for parts.

More cars means more gas.

And I kind of figure the need to repair your car becomes less of a thing in a world where when your car breaks down you can just hot wire a new one. Hell, in theory the prison should have an entire lot of them somewhere off camera. And we've seen them come across them any time they go to a new town, find a building, or go on a major road. A broken down car is only really an issue when they're on the road and get stuck like last episode. And even then the big issue wasn't the lack of a car it was the urgency of the sick people.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

The hippie couple established they were inept at combat, saying they took half a clip to take down a walker, and implying they'd never tried to take down a walker with a sharp object before. That's why the woman died. Chances are she got surprised and bit and it doesn't really matter whether you summon help at that point.

She got surprised, bit, died instantly before she could yell or shoot, her leg popped off like a crash test dummy, the zombies dragged her out to the middle of the road and despite being dead for a while she didn't turn.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

messagemode1 posted:

She got surprised, bit, died instantly before she could yell or shoot, her leg popped off like a crash test dummy, the zombies dragged her out to the middle of the road and despite being dead for a while she didn't turn.

It was a great slapstick scene, pity it had to be cut in favor of more *ChArAcTeR DeVeLoPmEnT*.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

messagemode1 posted:

It's a little contrived but not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a little contrived but not as bad as you're making it out to be.

It's also a pretty dumb thing to care about. They showed the severed leg to establish whose body it was. Why does it matter what exact series of events led to her death, or whether it made logical sense for her leg to be where it was? I swear some people watch TV with the express intent to pick apart inconsistencies, rather than enjoy the show for what it is.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I know I keep mentioning it but only because it's funny to me, not because it's a big deal.

I just like imagining what happened.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

messagemode1 posted:

I know I keep mentioning it but only because it's funny to me, not because it's a big deal.

I just like imagining what happened.

I thought it was funny. It's a great mental image. There'd even be a little popping noise, like the sound of a cork being pulled out of a bottle.

Maybe she's like a skink, and that's why the cut was so clean. She saw the zombies coming and shed her leg so that they'd forget about her and go for the still twitching leg. The tattoo was like the bright blue that skinks, in my area, have on their tails to distract predators. Unfortunately, she needed that leg to hobble away.

I think the reveal would have been funnier had it been the guy's arm though, whichever arm it was that was dislocated. But he didn't have a tattoo so viewers would have been confused as to whose arm it was.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 6, 2013

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Dr. Wright posted:

Why does it matter what exact series of events led to her death

I'd say it matters a little bit in this situation because they had an explicit plan for if anything went wrong. We're left wondering why the plan didn't work, but we aren't sure if we're supposed to be wondering that. The show didn't play it up as any kind of mystery, but the events are mysterious.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

boom boom boom posted:

It should have been the guy's severed arm holding the chick's severed leg.
It wouldn't make any sense, until you read the standalone graphic novel, The Walking Dead: Severed Love, which explains the entire backstory of the couple, and the surprising connection they have to one of the main characters!

:allears: So romantic!

Dr. Wright
Dec 26, 2005

Rubber Slug posted:

I'd say it matters a little bit in this situation because they had an explicit plan for if anything went wrong. We're left wondering why the plan didn't work, but we aren't sure if we're supposed to be wondering that. The show didn't play it up as any kind of mystery, but the events are mysterious.

My take on it is they were both completely incompetent, bumbling doofuses, which the show established. They were hiding for two days from one zombie. They said it took them 5-6 bullets to take down a single walker, and laughed at the very idea of using a melee weapon. Is it really that mysterious that they didn't follow the plan and got themselves killed?

I think the whole point is you know they're not going to be able to survive (plan or not), and that Carol's insistence that they be allowed to help scavenge is basically a death sentence.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Maybe she found a machete on their run and when attacked by the zombies, ended up chopping off her own leg while flailing at them?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

She was attacked and downed where she was, mysteriously enough, the first bite was in the exact spot the pressure point is to make her leg detatch cleanly and rocket off at a fence. It bounced off and ended up where Rick and Carol found it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Sekkira posted:

She was attacked and downed where she was, mysteriously enough, the first bite was in the exact spot the pressure point is to make her leg detatch cleanly and rocket off at a fence. It bounced off and ended up where Rick and Carol found it.

And the leg made this noise when it popped off

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope they run into a cult of unfathomably evil motherfuckers who all have compass tattoos.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Wright posted:

My take on it is they were both completely incompetent, bumbling doofuses, which the show established. They were hiding for two days from one zombie. They said it took them 5-6 bullets to take down a single walker, and laughed at the very idea of using a melee weapon. Is it really that mysterious that they didn't follow the plan and got themselves killed?

I think the whole point is you know they're not going to be able to survive (plan or not), and that Carol's insistence that they be allowed to help scavenge is basically a death sentence.

I loved the look on Carol's face when they admitted to their ammo wastage or said they avoiding knifing them too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was talking about Walking Dead today with a buddy of mine who pointed out that it's pretty piss poor planning to have looted no anti-biotics in the last few months of searching the area. Not a one, not one in the prison infirmary either? What the hell kind of prison doesn't have at least basic anti-biotics?

A vet, a doctor, an army medic and at least one survivalist in their crew and none of them thought, you know what, infection was one of the the biggest killers in war time before 1960, maybe I'll grab some penicillin just in case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BlindSite posted:

I was talking about Walking Dead today with a buddy of mine who pointed out that it's pretty piss poor planning to have looted no anti-biotics in the last few months of searching the area. Not a one, not one in the prison infirmary either? What the hell kind of prison doesn't have at least basic anti-biotics?

A vet, a doctor, an army medic and at least one survivalist in their crew and none of them thought, you know what, infection was one of the the biggest killers in war time before 1960, maybe I'll grab some penicillin just in case.

They said that they had cleaned out all the nearby places, which is why they had to go all the way to that hospital.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 7, 2014

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

In her hunger for survival she forgot what it means to be human~~

I think next week's is going to be nuts. I think they're all going to be nuts this season.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

moths posted:

I hope they run into a cult of unfathomably evil motherfuckers who all have compass tattoos.

I had thought there was going to be a tie in with the video game when I first saw them, but then the set up was just so over the top it was clear something was going to happen and they were going to die.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

TOOT BOOT posted:

How the gently caress did they live for like 2 years or whatever? Who knows!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

xxEightxx posted:

I had thought there was going to be a tie in with the video game when I first saw them, but then the set up was just so over the top it was clear something was going to happen and they were going to die.

There was a shot in the last episode where it looked like they were arriving at the motel from Season 1 of the game, and for a moment I thought it was going to be a nice little easter egg having our guys be passing through one of the same locations a year or so later.

THE PWNER posted:

Perhaps some type of remote camp where they got word of the initial outbreak and stayed safe by hiding.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 6, 2013

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had some terrible audio this episode, what was Daryl going to use the jasper for?

Mrs. Richards from A-block asked him to keep an eye out for jasper while they were on their run for use in their husband's (grave?) marker.

Jasper is supposedly a stone with great healing energy, which might be why he was so fixated on it at the end of the episode.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

I kinda want to see the group that managed to carry that dead weight for 2 years. Those people may actually be a boon to the prison group rather than a liability.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Questions about this week:
- The vet school was 55 miles away from the prison, yet (IIRC) Daryl/Mischonne were talking about it being about 7 hours to get back?
- Which direction did Rick drive that he didn't run into the horde?
- Was the horde a single episode thing?
- Why were the gas prices on the sign upside-down? :psyduck:
- They escaped by breaking a window and climbing onto the roof, and the walkers inside were stymied and could do no more than wave their arms out while Daryl repeatedly rubbed chests with medic guy?

Overall decent episode.
I am sharing Rick Hate.

Mooseontheloose posted:

They also highlight that loss when they find the girl being eaten. She shrugs and says tough luck to her while Rick is obviously effected by their WRONG decision to let them gather food.

"Sorry about the watch Rick. Was a nice watch."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Overall decent episode.
I am sharing Rick Hate.

It spelled "hell".

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

zoux posted:

It spelled "hell".

Eh... I was taking the time to try to figure out what gas prices were when the zom apoc occurred.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

- The vet school was 55 miles away from the prison, yet (IIRC) Daryl/Mischonne were talking about it being about 7 hours to get back?
- Which direction did Rick drive that he didn't run into the horde?
- Was the horde a single episode thing?
- They escaped by breaking a window and climbing onto the roof, and the walkers inside were stymied and could do no more than wave their arms out while Daryl repeatedly rubbed chests with medic guy?

Overall decent episode.
I am sharing Rick Hate.
I will try:
1) Zombies on the road and other obstacles can make it take longer than expected, although averaging about 8 mph does seem a bit low.
2) He may have drove in the other direction or the horde may have been lured off the road following Darryl et al
3) Possibly
4) It spelt "Hell"
5) zombies don't climb, it's why the fences work (although them waving through the window made me laugh a bit).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I had some terrible audio this episode, what was Daryl going to use the jasper for?

Yeah, I had issues as well. I thought he was picking up scat, licking it and saying he was going to use it as a magic marker or something. This bodes well for the new Bad Lipreading episode.

Svanja posted:

Just because Rick imagined it, doesn't make it true. Otherwise we'd have magical phones that can call dead people.
:colbert:

Personally, I really just don't want to accept she did it. I will be in denial for several episodes I think. She had become my favorite character.

I'm still in the kid-did-it camp.

No More Heroes posted:

Idk they were pulling themselves free from mud-ridden bogs last year and tearing open peoples abdomens. Somehow they seem a little weaker and decrepit this year.

Only when drama is required.
- Not when Carol is fixing a hose
- Absolutely when Mischonne needs to get back in the gates.

Surlaw posted:

"I bet the girl was faking her cough!!" is the silliest thing in a long time.

Seriously... well except that she is suddenly all better this episode after having spent time in the ward filled with people who have the raging illness. Yeah, pretty silly. :rolleyes:

Opening scene next episode: Glen and Herschel come out of the ward cured, and ask if anyone knows how a few of the sick people were shivved while waiting for Daryl's group to return. Cut to Rick: :doh:

ghouldaddy07 posted:

As much I like Carol, she is on the road to becoming Shane. Just like Shane her point of view would cause division among the group. With her not being a rage filled lunatic, she could become a far bigger threat to Ricks leadership.

To be honest, Shane > Rick. Part of me wishes Shane had been the one to come away from that confrontation. Although Lori would still be alive, so it would have THAT downside. In the current prison situation who would be more efficient and a better leader, Shane or Rick? Shane would probably been a better farmer as well.

gently caress Rick.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 6, 2013

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Fog Tripper posted:

To be honest, Shane > Rick. Part of me wishes Shane had been the one to come away from that confrontation. Although Lori would still be alive, so it would have THAT downside. In the current prison situation who would be more efficient and a better leader, Shane or Rick? Shane would probably been a better farmer as well.

gently caress Rick.

I hated the way they handled Shane's death in this show. They did a decent enough job showing that Shane was going psycho and how it was all tied to Rick being alive/Lori being pregnant but the way they made the death come off like Rick was in the wrong about it is awful.

It would have made a lot more of an impact if they'd done it they way they did it in the comics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

gently caress Rick.

Plus a Shane regime would mean even more gratuitous shirtless scenes like the famous water truck scene.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like that now apparently the people in quarantine are all better if the show isn't actively showing then barfing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Surlaw posted:

I like that now apparently the people in quarantine are all better if the show isn't actively showing then barfing.

What?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fog Tripper's post up there saying the kid was the real killer because she didn't look sick enough, ignoring that the last kid who died of this illness actually looked totally fine until shortly before his death and maybe her cough didn't sound real enough because she's a child actor rather than it being a plot tell.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

except that she is suddenly all better this episode
It looks like we will find out more about the quarantine zone next week, maybe we will find out if the girl is involved in some elaborate and needlessly risky plan. Here's a hint: She isn't.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The show constantly tries way too hard to make Rick look like an idiot, and it's sad that a lot of people eat it up.

Just this season so far, Tyreese was on a loving rampage, punching Rick in a blind rage. Rick just sat there and let Tyreese full on swing at him multiple times. Didn't defend himself whatsoever. Finally, Rick fights back, hits Tyreese a few times, and then everyone is like "Woah Rick, cool it bro!"

What the hell? Should Rick just let Tyreese curb stomp him because he's mourning?

Nobody else wants to lead, so they happily give the weight of the world to Rick, and just as happily dog him every time he slips. Shane and Carol had some pent up "we gotta do summmmmthing!" angst, and were becoming more and more of a threat to the whole group. A major part of the whole entire show, is that holding on to hope and helping each other is more important than ~just surviving~. Every person understands that except the survivalist rear end in a top hat types who will kill anyone or do whatever it takes to live another day.

Even in the face of death, people are still sacrificing and putting themselves in danger for each other. That's why the prison group is 'good', and everyone else is 'bad'. And everyone who starts doing crazy poo poo to survive becomes 'bad'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Baldbeard posted:

Just this season so far, Tyreese was on a loving rampage, punching Rick in a blind rage. Rick just sat there and let Tyreese full on swing at him multiple times. Didn't defend himself whatsoever. Finally, Rick fights back, hits Tyreese a few times, and then everyone is like "Woah Rick, cool it bro!"

What the hell? Should Rick just let Tyreese curb stomp him because he's mourning?

Are you for real?

:psyduck:

• Locked thread