Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A

Datasmurf posted:

Not here in Norway. Camera prices are high. And buying from over the seas costs way too much in shipping.

You might be able to order from some European store, the prices are way lower here (Finland specifically, but they seem to be the same in mainland Europe as well.) For example, an EOS 600D + 18-55 kit is around 470 EUR or less, which is 3850 NOK or thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
It's generally cheaper for me to order from keh.com or Hong Kong and pay for shipping to Australia then it is to pay local. Maybe there's somewhere reasonable in the UK to ship to the European folks?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Amok posted:

You might be able to order from some European store, the prices are way lower here (Finland specifically, but they seem to be the same in mainland Europe as well.) For example, an EOS 600D + 18-55 kit is around 470 EUR or less, which is 3850 NOK or thereabouts.

Probably won't be much cheaper when you factor in the shipping, 25% VAT on the cost of the item + shipping, and 130 NOK (if you're lucky) import fees

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wait you get VAT+duties on EU imports?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Norway isn't in the EU. Also - datasmurf - have your friend check the used market at foto.no - much kinder/more realistic prices there than on finn.no for example!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I know this, but I thought them being part of EFTA meant you wouldn't get buttfucked on duties. Oh well.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A

evil_bunnY posted:

I know this, but I thought them being part of EFTA meant you wouldn't get buttfucked on duties. Oh well.

Probably, but the duty/VAT regulations are a loving inscrutable mess.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Anything that crosses the border worth more than 200 NOK (1000 NOK if it's labeled as a gift) is subject to VAT (no real duties outside that for electronics, but, well, 25% VAT).

This leads to a hilarious price gap - if the item is worth 199 NOK, you pay, well, 199 NOK + shipping to get it home to you. However, if the item is worth 201 NOK, you pay 201 NOK + shipping + (25% of 201 NOK + shipping) + import fee. The import fee is 130 NOK for "simplified imports", but some shipping companies can really gently caress you on that by choosing the "slow" import, which can easily cost 500-1000 NOK on top (Example in Norwegian - short gist is that be bought an item worth 348 NOK and got 983 NOK in fees and VAT on top of that).

I bought the Chromecast recently, and because I had to use a resender so I could have an US address, and the CC cost 230 NOK or so, I had paid around 700 NOK before it was in my hands.

That was a short derail, but in that context, Norwegian prices aren't "that" high. Of course it's way cheaper if you visit an EU country and buy the item there ;)

EDIT: Typical formula for estimating the Norwegian price for an object is to take (US price in NOK) + (25% VAT) + (10% on top). When the dollar was around 8 NOK/USD (currently 6 NOK/USD) we typically just multiplied the US price by 10, so that's what I do without thinking still.

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 2, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Cheaper in the EU" just sounds so weird. Anyway, shouldn't it be possible to get a VAT-less price on the exporting side, or at least get it refunded? You're not really supposed to pay that poo poo twice. Also, in my experience Chinese/HK vendors can be quite flexible in how they value the goods, so that's another option.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I love my 50/1.8, but for many occasions 50mm is just too long on the crop body, so I'm looking for a cheapish "effectively normal length" lens. Canon has a 28/1.8 and a 28/2.8 IS in a similar price range, how do they compare? Which would you recommend for casual low-light/indoor shots, or as walk-around lens?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

plasmoduck posted:

I love my 50/1.8, but for many occasions 50mm is just too long on the crop body, so I'm looking for a cheapish "effectively normal length" lens. Canon has a 28/1.8 and a 28/2.8 IS in a similar price range, how do they compare? Which would you recommend for casual low-light/indoor shots, or as walk-around lens?

You mean that the teo 28mm lenses are in the same pricerange, not comparing with the price of your 50mm? I can't say for any of those two but with the crop sensor I would like to give a third option.

I believe you should get the Sigma 18-35 1.8 lens.

It weighs three times more, it is twice as long, the price is close to 50% more than the 28mm lenses and the built in flash on the camera will be less usefull. But it is beautiful and makes Canon feel like a cheap 3rd party lens.

erephus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

plasmoduck posted:

I cannot recommend the Sigma 30mm 1.4 highly enough for what you want
It offers the same Angle of View on a crop as a 50mm on a full frame (but it still retains the wide characteristics of a 30mm so prepare for that).

It does portraits and has great DOF:

James as Beast by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

Amy in Norway by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

And it's wide enough to do landscapes:

Otta Trainstation by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

Gjendesheim Park by Quantum Of Phallus, on Flickr

I bought the original model from the Buy/Sell thread right here in the Dorkroom, there's also a newer model which has a USB dock and is supposedly even better. Either one should do nicely.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Ah yes, I meant that the two 28mm lenses are in the same price range, I don't dream of getting anything near the value of the 50/1.8 anytime soon...

Oh thanks, the Sigma looks like a good option! More than what I was hoping and bulkier than I'd like for a walkaround, but while the zoom wasn't essential - it would basically make my kit lens obsolete which I planned to replace later anyway. I'll look into it.

[edit] Thanks, I'll look into the 30 1.4 as well.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 3, 2013

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I cannot recommend the Sigma 30mm 1.4 highly enough for what you want
It offers the same Angle of View on a crop as a 50mm on a full frame (but it still retains the wide characteristics of a 30mm so prepare for that).

Don't know why I forgot that one, the new Art model is even cheaper than the Canon 28mm lenses. (At least in Sweden.)

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

After looking around a bit, I think the 30/1.4 might be perfect. The size and price are pretty compelling, and costing only half of the 18-35/1.8 means I can save that for a super-wide angle! :D

That being said, the 18-35 got me way excited and I'm still tempted. drat.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 3, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I love my 30 1.4 as well, especially coming from the 50 1.8. Performs far better, and the focal length is very nice compared to trying to back into walls every time you are shooting inside. Focus isn't even comparable it's so much better. It stinks Canon doesn't offer the crop primes that Nikon does, but at least the Sigma is pretty awesome if you can find it for a good price.

Now, if you want one do all walkaround lens, I don't own it but I've been trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on a Tamron 17-50 2.8. That will obsolete the kit lens with the wide angle, but also at 50mm at 2.8 I imagine makes a decent portrait lens. The 30 1.4 will definitely still find plenty of use, but it'll be nice to replace both the kit and 50 with one. The Sigma 18-35 sounds pretty awesome, but I'd take losing basically a stop to be able to use it at 50mm for portraits. With my 30mm getting headshots makes you pretty close in, would like to back off to make them more comfortable (wife said "Are you taking a picture of my eye?").

I got my 30 1.4 for about $300, Tamrons go used for about $300, could probably get both for what you'd pay for the 18-35.

Sidenote, my body tends to get pretty noisy even at ISO 800, being able to go down to 1.4 from 1.8/2 was a life saver a few days ago. Razor thin focus plane, but at least you can control that. Can't control a toddler running (blurring) everywhere. Usually won't go wide open if I can help it, just to help out hitting focus on things, but it's nice to have that option.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 3, 2013

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Nabbed a 30/1.4...scary fast! I found a deal for a new Art version which had a scratched box, but the lens should be new with 2yr warranty. Colour me excited :)

Realistally, the 18-35/1.4 would've been too bulky for me anyway, and maybe I won't ever get a "kit lens equivalent" zoom, since I'm not too fussed about covering the complete range with glass - I tend to crop a lot in post. Next thing to save for would be the 10-22mm!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2013

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So the new "Global Vision" USB dock etc. 30/1.4 crop specific? Please do let us know how it performs. I bought the 35 FF 1.4, but only use it on my 7D. I had wowed to only buy high quality FF glass as I wanted to go to FF eventually, but seeing the prices vs. offerings in that segment, I'm reevaluating.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also while the 30mm is a great standard-type lens, it is quite heavy. The Canon 40mm 2.8 is an exceptional walk-around lens on a crop or full frame and is that bit wider than the 50mm. It's very cheap second hand, I picked it up here for a bargain of less than €100 last year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You limp-wristed bastard!

For real tho, the 30mm f1.4 isn't that heavy. If you're hauling a DSLR body around, the weight isn't that much. Also, with all due respect to the 40mm, it may still be a little too tight and it only has f2.8.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

FistLips posted:

Norway isn't in the EU. Also - datasmurf - have your friend check the used market at foto.no - much kinder/more realistic prices there than on finn.no for example!

No, he haven't. I'd forgetting about the used market there. I'll tell him about it.

e: Found a nice deal on a 600D on foto.no costing a bit more than the 1100D he looked at on finn.
Hopefully he'll buy it.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

For real tho, the 30mm f1.4 isn't that heavy.

The original sigma 30mm is nearly as heavy as a 600D so it tends to feel front-heavy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A couple years ago, a buddy of mine left his Sigma 30mm 1.4 at my house one night. It was a lens I didn't own personally but was looking at, so I took it out on an UrbEx shoot I was doing the next day (with his permission) to test it out. It is really heavy. I had it on my T2i, and if I had rested it on a table it would have fallen over instantly, though that's true of a lot of lenses. I shot both landscapes and portrait shots with it, and I honestly wasn't very impressed at all. The light was good and I tried messing with every setting I could think of, but I just couldn't get any truly great shots out of it. Switched to my 50 1.8 and had no problems whatsoever.

So that experience turned me off from buying that lens. Maybe I wasn't shooting the right kind of subjects or maybe I didn't have my settings adjusted just right, but it definitely didn't feel like a walkaround lens to me like my 50 1.8 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 do. With those, I can take shots of just about anything and have them come out looking nice. Seemed to me like the Sigma 30 1.4 was either not adequate enough or too specialized a lens to justify dropping the cash on one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The original sigma 30mm is nearly as heavy as a 600D so it tends to feel front-heavy.
I had a 30mm on my 550D, I don't see what's so drat heavy about that setup. Or front-heavy for that matter. It's not like it's a huge barrel that shifts CoG considerably.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Have it on a T3i and I kinda prefer it to be honest, to me it just feels more solid. Definitely heavier than the 50 1.8, but I wouldn't call it heavy at all.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

You should get to know some soviet M42 lenses if you think the original Sigma 30/1.4 is in any way heavy. Gives you perspective.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm just saying it'll feel heavy compared to the Canon 28mm lenses is all.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

I'm just saying it'll feel heavy compared to the Canon 28mm lenses is all.

Such is the feel of proper construction materials.

(I really, really prefer Sigma 30/1.4 over the Canon 28/2.8 IS)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I'd also recommend the 40mm on a crop, especially if you're ever lamenting not bringing a proper camera with you as it fits quite nicely in a laptop bag on a 550d.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love the pancake 40 on my 60D, that's a small enough combination that I can carry it around in my bag along with my wallet, keys, etc. should I desire. I haven't even picked up my thrifty fifty since picking the pancake up, too. Kind of crazy how it got relegated immediately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Canon's apparently looking into SLT, but with electronically controlled transmittance/reflectance?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/patent-a-pellicle-mirror-by-canon/

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Combat Pretzel posted:

Canon's apparently looking into SLT, but with electronically controlled transmittance/reflectance?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/patent-a-pellicle-mirror-by-canon/

All these patents are pretty misleading to read about, because Canon is presumably constantly going down failed design paths and experimenting anyway. That being said according to their patents if they actually end up using a Fovenon sensor and making is better at high ISO, that'd be super cool.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IanTheM posted:

All these patents are pretty misleading to read about, because Canon is presumably constantly going down failed design paths and experimenting anyway.
Keep in mind that you're going to see a lot more red herring patents now. The US just switched from a first to invent to a first to file system, so companies are gonna file on a bunch of poo poo they might not end up using just to be safe. In the past they could just show that they invented it first, even if someone else beat them to the patent.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask. Are these batteries legit? Are they worth a poo poo?

Or should I go and get the "proper" ones off of ebay?

Never saw a reply, figured I'd try again.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Keep in mind that you're going to see a lot more red herring patents now. The US just switched from a first to invent to a first to file system, so companies are gonna file on a bunch of poo poo they might not end up using just to be safe. In the past they could just show that they invented it first, even if someone else beat them to the patent.

Woha, that's a terrible change that only favours large companies. Wonder who lobbied them into it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gothmog1065 posted:

I browse on mobile and don't follow links that much, so a description would get you more answers. After looking, I didn't see a brand, so I have no knowledge of this company. Sorry.

Edit: do they give the capacity anywhere? If not, stay away.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Wasabis are cheaper on Amazon and they're real.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sterlingtek.com batteries are beyond solid and way better value/performance than standard brand batteries and you can also find them on amazon.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Erwin posted:

Wasabis are cheaper on Amazon and they're real.
Just seconding this -- I've never had a problem with a Wasabi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I browse on mobile and don't follow links that much, so a description would get you more answers. After looking, I didn't see a brand, so I have no knowledge of this company. Sorry.

Edit: do they give the capacity anywhere? If not, stay away.

I didn't even think of that, here's the description:

Every moment of your life is captured with the help of our lithium ion digital camera battery. You cannot beat these quality batteries when it comes to preserving good times with family and friends. Find the right battery for your Canon digital camera right here.
High Quality Cells
Rechargeable and eco-friendly
Affordably priced
No Memory Effect

Specifications

Weight: 2.22225 oz.
Chemistry: Li-Ion
Brand: Aftermarket
Voltage: 7.4
mAh: 780

I'll look into the Wasabi's as well, thanks!

e: Looks like the Wasabi batteries have twice the capacity (1400 vs 780) and are even cheaper. Going with those, thanks for the recommendation.

Another edit:

On the back of this, what type of lens would be better for doing a photo shoot, it being kids with Santa. Basically where my wife works nobody is doing any photos with Santa, except one place where you bring your own camera and crap. She's doing one with our camera (Rebel XSi), and we still have the basic 15-45 zoom lens. Now I know people locally that use Cannon and have lenses we could acquire. I'd like the pictures to look nice (We'll be using a tripod, etc). It'll be well lit so no flashes needed. Do you think that lens would be sufficient or should I get a hold of something different?

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 8, 2013