Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah thats what ive been doing stolen 2 bless casters so far and killed a noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LordLeckie posted:

Im playing EA Arco atm and not having a super combatant god as the pretender for my team is hurting me really hard, if you come up against any sort of actually decent troops like W9 bless ermor/tien chi/vanheim like me then you struggle to really put out anything at all that can match them without heavy mage support.

Wind Riders i have found to be equivalent to throwing giant sacks of gold at the enemy they do little to nothing.

Try using heavy Mage support.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just tested. A party of 9 wind riders with a fire bless can take down most indie provinces without casualties.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

LordLeckie posted:

Im playing EA Arco atm and not having a super combatant god as the pretender for my team is hurting me really hard, if you come up against any sort of actually decent troops like W9 bless ermor/tien chi/vanheim like me then you struggle to really put out anything at all that can match them without heavy mage support.

Wind Riders i have found to be equivalent to throwing giant sacks of gold at the enemy they do little to nothing.

Pretty sure you can trample them all.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Zauper posted:

Pretty sure you can trample them all.

Chariot archers now suffer pretty big casualties with the second shape changes. They are also useless against giants and dragons.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've did some more experimentation with starting with Alteration as LA Pythium and a Theurg with a Serpent Ring and a B9N9 hydra can kill most indies assuming that the mage actually has the presence of mind to target the hydra and not himself with the buffs which is my biggest stumbling block now.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Can someone recommend me a strong midgame nation (any age) to play around with? When I say midgame, I guess I'm looking for a nation who can get some aggressive thugs or spellcasters going earlier than other nations, even if it means cutting into research and long term prospects.

This is just for single player messing around because I want to try mixing it up from my usual "kill one neighbor, turtle up until I research X-9 and unleash doom upon the earth." In particular I feel like I never make great use of combat spellcasters and the evocation tree, so maybe a strong magic nation would be in order? Or any nation who can spam midrange summons to good effect, maybe something like a vampire rush?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Try Niefelheim. Skratti wolf form is thug-mania and non-wolf skratti and niefel jarls are falling frost battlecasters (or possibly freezing mist depending on randoms).

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
MA Shinuyama. Their Dai-Bakemono are excellent mid-game battle casters, and iirc you can also recruit Dai-Oni who are good thugs. Maybe they are summons?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dai Oni are summonable, not recruitable, and cost a fortune. (55 death gems IIRC.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, its been a while since I played them. I just remember being able to kick MA Ermor's undead horse loving rotting rear end with a mixture of Daibakemono and summoned Dai-Oni; it was my first 'win' (in that everyone quit but me). It helps that the very high death and fire paths are great undead killers. :black101:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Alright, I'm a brand spankin' new newbie to this game. Only Dom3 that is, I received it as a gift on Steam a few days ago. Since then this game has been like crack for me. Of course though since I've only been playing for a few days against the AI I've yet to win a single game, still learning the tricks and trades to this beast, and I have some questions that maybe some of you vets won't mind answering.

Probably my most successful playthrough that's still going on is MA Abysia, mostly because of just their troops' sheer strength and pretty strong blood/fire mages, but I might just be overexcited to use something other than the loving slug Agarthas. Is there anything I need to look out for come lategame, any weaknesses that this race might have?

Also, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to raise a mage's magic paths without the use of empowerment. I keep reading things about different items to use to avoid this, but the only magical items my pretender/smiths/mages can craft are stuff like trampling boots or sharp weapons or rings that resist the cold, not really anything that boosts magic paths. Should I just put more research into construction for more advanced objects? Or is it my pretender I'm using that limits this?

Oh, and how might I enslave enemy units, if possible with my race? Do I need a special unit for this, I'm guessing? If any of these questions are answerable by reading the manual then I apologize, I can't really find anything. Also the manual's huge. And scary.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dai Oni are summonable, not recruitable, and cost a fortune. (55 death gems IIRC.)

45 or so but they're still Conjuration 8 so by that point you've got far better things to spend them on unless you dont feel like playing the tart lottery.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the manual is altogether too big and also wrong in places. Just learn by doing.

In no particular order, forging "boosters" requires research into Construction, and is almost always more cost-effective than Empowerment.

Abysia is great against the AI, against other players you might have some trouble against people who artifically age the world, including your old-rear end mages and expensive troops (in Dominions 3, though, you're pretty safe in MA), and you might have problems against people who increase the unrest in your forts so you have trouble producing troops.

You have good battle magic paths, and high enough Astral and Blood that you can move into doing other stuff too. Sounds like your pretender has some Water and Earth magic, which cover the main gaps nicely.

Enslaving enemy units requires magic like Charm or Hellbind Heart on the battlefield. There are a few units that can do it with a 'weapon' called Enslave Mind (such as EA R'lyeh's Mind Lords), where it's done using the Fire (x) command. You can also use Succubi from the Blood tree to Seduce as a 'strategic' order, but that's in no way a given. It does have the advantage of taking them as a Commander rather than normal unit who has to be 'restored' through an expensive Thaumaturgy spell called Gift of Reason, though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

MONKET posted:

Also, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to raise a mage's magic paths without the use of empowerment. I keep reading things about different items to use to avoid this, but the only magical items my pretender/smiths/mages can craft are stuff like trampling boots or sharp weapons or rings that resist the cold, not really anything that boosts magic paths. Should I just put more research into construction for more advanced objects? Or is it my pretender I'm using that limits this?

Oh, and how might I enslave enemy units, if possible with my race? Do I need a special unit for this, I'm guessing? If any of these questions are answerable by reading the manual then I apologize, I can't really find anything. Also the manual's huge. And scary.

Yes, you need to go down the construction tree. Most of the power boosters are in Construction 2 and 4, with extremely powerful ones at 8. What you are able to build from the list is determined by your mage's magic skills. Someone who doesn't have Earth can't build Earth Boots, for example. There are lists in the OP that go over the requirements in Contruction level and paths needed for each item.

Enslavement is only possible with Astral magic, and it requires a caster (or communion) with 8/9 astral. I don't remember which tree, maybe thaumaturgy? Beaten (and proven wrong) like a militia going up against a Tart.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
There's a list of path boosters here

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MONKET posted:

Alright, I'm a brand spankin' new newbie to this game. Only Dom3 that is, I received it as a gift on Steam a few days ago. Since then this game has been like crack for me. Of course though since I've only been playing for a few days against the AI I've yet to win a single game, still learning the tricks and trades to this beast, and I have some questions that maybe some of you vets won't mind answering.

Probably my most successful playthrough that's still going on is MA Abysia, mostly because of just their troops' sheer strength and pretty strong blood/fire mages, but I might just be overexcited to use something other than the loving slug Agarthas. Is there anything I need to look out for come lategame, any weaknesses that this race might have?

Read the old LPs and khisanth's current LP. Also, hop on IRC and ask folks a ton of questions.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Since default site rarity is relatively lower in Dom4 compared to Dom3, will more of our games have them set to higher settings?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Since default site rarity is relatively lower in Dom4 compared to Dom3, will more of our games have them set to higher settings?

Is it really? I don't notice any shortage compared with 3 and typically find at least one of the unique mage sites in every EA game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah the manual is altogether too big and also wrong in places. Just learn by doing.

In no particular order, forging "boosters" requires research into Construction, and is almost always more cost-effective than Empowerment.

Abysia is great against the AI, against other players you might have some trouble against people who artifically age the world, including your old-rear end mages and expensive troops (in Dominions 3, though, you're pretty safe in MA), and you might have problems against people who increase the unrest in your forts so you have trouble producing troops.

You have good battle magic paths, and high enough Astral and Blood that you can move into doing other stuff too. Sounds like your pretender has some Water and Earth magic, which cover the main gaps nicely.

Enslaving enemy units requires magic like Charm or Hellbind Heart on the battlefield. There are a few units that can do it with a 'weapon' called Enslave Mind (such as EA R'lyeh's Mind Lords), where it's done using the Fire (x) command. You can also use Succubi from the Blood tree to Seduce as a 'strategic' order, but that's in no way a given. It does have the advantage of taking them as a Commander rather than normal unit who has to be 'restored' through an expensive Thaumaturgy spell called Gift of Reason, though.

Keep in mind that you can boost a mage's casting path by 1 for one spell by consuming a gem. A mage however can only consume as many gems as their magic path is. So a F3 Anathema Dragon could cast Phoenix Power to raise himself to F4 then consume a gem to raise himself to F5 to cast Heat From Hell (2 gems so 2+1) but not Fire Storm (5+1). So you would need a booster to pull of non-communion Fire Storm.

Also, unless something has changed, there is only one communion per side per battle. This means that blood sabbath and astral communion all tie in together if you wanted to use that synergy. One master sacrificing a slave to Reinvigorate the communion for example or using a Demonbred as your large fire battlefield caster.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Alright, thanks a bunch for the help guys. Everything's a lot clearer now, will hang around IRC more for sure. I love this game and its hundreds of blood-boiling spells so much :unsmigghh:

Decrepus posted:

Keep in mind that you can boost a mage's casting path by 1 for one spell by consuming a gem. A mage however can only consume as many gems as their magic path is. So a F3 Anathema Dragon could cast Phoenix Power to raise himself to F4 then consume a gem to raise himself to F5 to cast Heat From Hell (2 gems so 2+1) but not Fire Storm (5+1). So you would need a booster to pull of non-communion Fire Storm.

Also, unless something has changed, there is only one communion per side per battle. This means that blood sabbath and astral communion all tie in together if you wanted to use that synergy. One master sacrificing a slave to Reinvigorate the communion for example or using a Demonbred as your large fire battlefield caster.

How do you consume a gem? Simply by giving to them and putting it in their inventory and then ordering them to cast a ritual spell?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TheresNoThyme posted:

Can someone recommend me a strong midgame nation (any age) to play around with? When I say midgame, I guess I'm looking for a nation who can get some aggressive thugs or spellcasters going earlier than other nations, even if it means cutting into research and long term prospects.

This is just for single player messing around because I want to try mixing it up from my usual "kill one neighbor, turtle up until I research X-9 and unleash doom upon the earth." In particular I feel like I never make great use of combat spellcasters and the evocation tree, so maybe a strong magic nation would be in order? Or any nation who can spam midrange summons to good effect, maybe something like a vampire rush?

Vanheim and TNN/Eriu. Vanjarls and Sidhe Lords are, in my opinion, the best thugs there are. Give them a brand, some reinvigoration, and a vine shield/shield of gleaming gold, script them to cast mistform and mirror image, and one can solo most indies/PD.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MONKET posted:

Alright, thanks a bunch for the help guys. Everything's a lot clearer now, will hang around IRC more for sure. I love this game and its hundreds of blood-boiling spells so much :unsmigghh:

How do you consume a gem? Simply by giving to them and putting it in their inventory and then ordering them to cast a ritual spell?
Ritual spells you cast out of your global pool, battlefield spells which need gems require them to be in the hands of that one specific mage (you can't swap between them in-battle).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MONKET posted:

Yeah they'll burn the gems automatically if they have them and you scripted the spell. Make sure they have the box checked to conserve gems or they will burn them doing stupid crap if they have the chance.

An extra gem can also be used to reduce fatigue, so Heat From Hell could consume 4 if you had it but I'm not sure if there is a point since casting a huge spell and passing out is pretty much the cool thing to do.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm trying to figure out expansion for Tir. I usually send out some Tuatha or Sidhe warriors along with a Sidhe Champion for leadership. With the research changes, it seems to be a bit harder to build equipment on the Sidhe Lords early on, so should I still try to make Sidhe Lord thugs a thing in the early midgame when I have tons of hard to kill troops anyways? I think they might do fine with just shockwave, mistform, and ghost wolves.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 6, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Yeah they'll burn the gems automatically if they have them and you scripted the spell. Make sure they have the box checked to conserve gems or they will burn them doing stupid crap if they have the chance.
With the box checked, they'll only do stupid poo poo 50% of the time!

Best to just have a scout or something shadow the army with the spares. Mages with extra gems are like trailer trash lottery winners, it's only a matter of time until they blow the lot on a trip to Vegas.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Using gems for general battlefield use is something the AI does that regular players should at least consider doing more often. Sure it can be expensive, but being able to blast out twice as many spells because you're at half fatigue can well be worth a couple of gems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

MONKET posted:

Gems can only be used to boost in this way for battle spells, not rituals.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barono posted:

Using gems for general battlefield use is something the AI does that regular players should at least consider doing more often. Sure it can be expensive, but being able to blast out twice as many spells because you're at half fatigue can well be worth a couple of gems.

It's something that the good players do -all- the time, it's just really annoying to micro-manage. The new AI option to manage gem spending in combat would have been nice if it had half a brain at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And the moment you try to rely on it some poo poo for brains decides the fight is too small for him to burn a gem casting the vital buff you ordered him to cast and everything goes to hell fast.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

dis astranagant posted:

And the moment you try to rely on it some poo poo for brains decides the fight is too small for him to burn a gem casting the vital buff you ordered him to cast and everything goes to hell fast.

Wow, yes, this is really annoying! Hopefully Dom5 will include a second check box, "DO AS YOU ARE SCRIPTED, IT'S A TEMPORARY GEM FFS!"

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Got the game and signed up for the Goon Gaming Service, since losing against humans is more fun than winning against the AI. :v:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
MA Agartha stuff!

Kristoffer.Osterman posted:

There has been a change of start province, but that is compensated with a one time event that gives ongoing games a new site.
Halls of the Oracles looses their gem income and you get a roots of the earth extra.
Part of the reason for the change is that roots of the earth now is mandatory for the barathrus and rhuax pacts.
EA will get a similar fix with the Womb of the Earth added.

The new site will wait until after hosting to appear, so don't panic if you don't have it when you inspect your new turn.

Apart from that you should only get improvements.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Hey folks. I applied to brainwinkle using the same name... just verifying here.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

amuayse posted:

MA Agartha stuff!

So Agartha is going to lose some gem income in exchange for a Barathrus/Rhuax Pact generation site? Eh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Seems to suggest that they keep the same gem income, and the 'Pact' national spells can only be cast in provinces that have The Roots of the Earth, which is a fairly common E site - I often end up with 3 or 4 by midgame if I've been searching thoroughly.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Before, Agartha was terrible. Now it's also inconsistent, and we've given it even worse mechanics than the Hinnom descendants in terms of national summon finickiness. Fixed."

:negative:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I have hopes that it'll be better than that. That is supposedly the only 'nerf' in a update to buff the whole nation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Agartha has such cool backstory what with all of that guarding the Seal in the deepest, darkest cave at the bottom of the world. With the Seal breaking who knows what kind of cool poo poo you could add to the nation. Hopefully its Lovecraftian as poo poo because I always got that vibe from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
I also love the Agarthian backstory but find them painful to play. Used them in two multiplayer games in Dom 3 (EA) and...ouch. Just ouch. Both times I pretty much just said "gently caress it" and resorted to summoning vast piles of earth-based duders. Won't win the game, but it makes it really hard to siege the cap when every turn the defenders numbers seem to double.
I've since tried them in SP Dom 4 (EA) with equally pathetic results. I can't hold onto anything since the PD consists of earthworms given armor and weapons. Even tried doing a heavy bless on their giants, since hey, giants rule! Man, it was just sad.
Unrelated, do units with recuperation ever regrow arms? Had a Queen of Water, holding the Chalice, sit armless for dozens of turns with no result.

• Locked thread