Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'd come to that realization a long time ago, but I've also come to the realization that I was a bigger rear end than I should have been to recruiters, because I don't get the same amount of calls I used to. It's just frustrating, man. I took off work early for a phone interview once and never even got called. The recruiter called back the next day to reschedule, and when I couldn't make the appointment, I got the same treatment. At least that time, the recruiter's manager called back with a sincere apology.

I used to go to a .NET user group in Nashville. It was sponsored by Microsoft, I think, they always had free food and gave away free products. I got a free copy of Vista that way, actually. But iirc they stopped having them. There weren't really any people my age there but the friends I was with, so I didn't really meet too many people, but it might not be a bad idea to just go and ask about jobs. I don't suppose there are any websites that help find this kind of thing? Something more focused than Google, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
http://www.meetup.com has some decent results for my area, I don't know about Nashville

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/2013-developer-salary-survey/240163580?pgno=1
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6678869

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Uziel posted:

http://www.meetup.com has some decent results for my area, I don't know about Nashville

Speaking of which, they're hiring in New York and I'll be looking for a new job in a few months!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good idea about the average salary for iOS developers in San Francisco? I've heard mixed numbers, anywhere from 80-125k. I'm hoping people here have some anecdotal evidence as I'm trying to decide on a job.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

unpurposed posted:

Does anyone have a good idea about the average salary for iOS developers in San Francisco? I've heard mixed numbers, anywhere from 80-125k. I'm hoping people here have some anecdotal evidence as I'm trying to decide on a job.

My friend working at Apple on AppleTV (it's iOS based) is paid 120k. He's been at Apple for 4 years and change + two summer internships.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

unpurposed posted:

$80k is the bare minimum for what I've seen in NYC. Most are around $100k, even "Junior" level iOS/Android developers. The only CS area I've seen with comparable starting/higher starting salaries is algo trading jobs. While NYC is obviously different in terms of demand and salary I'd expect SF to be higher.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

unpurposed posted:

I've heard mixed numbers, anywhere from 80-125k.

Sounds about right for entry-experienced?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Apple's salary range is known to be lower than average across the larger companies in the Bay Area.

$80-$125K sounds right, but it's all dependent on your work experience.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Seeing this stuff is starting to worry me, to be honest. This can't possibly be sustainable, is it? We're not going to see a bubble popping?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Seeing this stuff is starting to worry me, to be honest. This can't possibly be sustainable, is it? We're not going to see a bubble popping?

I don't think so. Companies are realizing that 1 good developer is worth many more lovely developers. The bar to get a job in the first place is getting higher, and salaries are raising to match that.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Brannock posted:

Are "Job Bubbles" a thing? I am not an economist/whatever so I can't think of any examples of a real world "Job Bubble".

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Tres Burritos posted:

Are "Job Bubbles" a thing? I am not an economist/whatever so I can't think of any examples of a real world "Job Bubble".

Sort of. Look at pharma jobs nowish, or programmer jobs just after the late 90s tech bubble. Basically when a bunch of companies fold or lay people off en masse, it floods the market with people with impressive (looking) resumes and deflates salaries and makes it harder for people starting out in the field to get hired.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Brannock posted:

I don't think these kinds of salary are sustainable in the long run, but I also don't think we're going to see a severe decline anytime soon. My prediction is that eventually supply will catch up with demand and the average salaries will drop to more normal levels that you might see for, say, an accountant. So they'll still be good, just not obscenely so.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Sort of. Look at pharma jobs nowish, or programmer jobs just after the late 90s tech bubble. Basically when a bunch of companies fold or lay people off en masse, it floods the market with people with impressive (looking) resumes and deflates salaries and makes it harder for people starting out in the field to get hired.
I was under the impression that the web bubble popping's impact on programming jobs was generally much smaller than most people are led to believe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it is posted:

sex parties

:raise:

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Just had a 30 minute interview that I think went pretty bad.

The technical questions asked were:

1. What do you think the steps are in a compiler?
Knew how it worked beforehand.
2. Give some examples about how a compiler might optimize code.
Knew how it worked beforehand.
3. How do you think valgrind works? What are some negative aspects of this

Never used valgrind before.
Said it had to keep track of mallocs, didn't know how.
They told me that it does this by using valgrinds custom implementation of malloc.

4. In what cases could Java be faster than C? Give an example

Never used Java before.
They had to give me some hints but I eventually got the answer:
C can only do optimizations at compile time. Java can do optimizations at runtime.
For example if we had user input determine the value of a variable, C couldn't optimize based on that value. (I used random() instead of user input)

5. What does ((n & (n-1)) == 0) do?
Said it evaluates to true or zero if its an even number, ran out of time so he had to tell me that it was actually if it was a power of 2 or zero.

Bleh, atleast it's good preparation for upcoming interviews.

How do you guys handle interview questions where you draw a blank?

Rello fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 6, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cicero posted:

I don't think these kinds of salary are sustainable in the long run, but I also don't think we're going to see a severe decline anytime soon. My prediction is that eventually supply will catch up with demand and the average salaries will drop to more normal levels that you might see for, say, an accountant. So they'll still be good, just not obscenely so.

I was under the impression that the web bubble popping's impact on programming jobs was generally much smaller than most people are led to believe.

I mostly agree with you, I was just throwing examples out there without being specific about magnitude. Incidentally, engineering salaries have been flat and haven't kept up with either GDP or productivity growth for about 40 years now, so I don't think these salary levels are unsustainable (unless the ninety years of salary growth seen from 1880 to 1970 don't count as 'sustainable') but I think lobbying and astroturfing, collusion and some market forces will cause them to level off regardless.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I really still hold out some hope that unionization or just leverage through professional organizations might actually happen again instead of everything going to hell and the USA ending up even shittier for the people who actually do the work.

If only for ergonomics, productivity and professional guidelines and standards this would be a great idea and a win for everyone, but meh FYGM.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I can't imagine any unionization specific to programmers ever happening, there's too much competition within the industry. Top level engineers already get to negotiate salary and benefits. I could see something more broad, like maybe an IT megaunion, but I'm not sure the programmers would want to take part.

I think unions will probably see a resurgence in popularity sometime over the next 20 years, though. A large portion of people have been convinced that unions are out to bleed workers dry, but eventually classic cynicism will kick in and they'll go back to seeing corporations as evil overlords. There's a broadway musical out now about unionization, called Newsies. The soundtrack raises my spirits.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't mean to whine but is anyone else having trouble getting in anywhere? Applying cold to listings isn't working for me at all. I've been doing C# for just over 2 years so I have a little experience at least, and I'm still working. I'm trying to network more and it's kind of helping but it's pretty limiting. Does applying to random places where you don't have connections only work if you have a lot of experience?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

HondaCivet posted:

I don't mean to whine but is anyone else having trouble getting in anywhere? Applying cold to listings isn't working for me at all. I've been doing C# for just over 2 years so I have a little experience at least, and I'm still working. I'm trying to network more and it's kind of helping but it's pretty limiting. Does applying to random places where you don't have connections only work if you have a lot of experience?

Or if they are desperate, I had some good luck at http://careers.stackoverflow.com/

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rello posted:

Just had a 30 minute interview that I think went pretty bad.

The technical questions asked were:

<stuff>

How do you guys handle interview questions where you draw a blank?
It's fine to say "I can't give you the straight answer up front" if it's one of those where there's a one sentence answer, as long as you follow with "but let me think through how it might work" and then start going through how you'd approach it. And in the case where you need more specifics (like "what does Valgrind do?") go ahead and ask those and proceed from there.

Other than #5 in your examples, though they're kind of "you have to know the tool/stack" to really answer the questions and there's not a TON of reasoning to be done about how to approach finding an answer.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Other than #5 in your examples, though they're kind of "you have to know the tool/stack" to really answer the questions and there's not a TON of reasoning to be done about how to approach finding an answer.

They were actually hoping to ask me questions about tools I haven't used and see me reason for the answer. When I told them I haven't used Valgrind/Java their reaction was "Great!", but when I got stuck at figuring out how Valgrind might keep track of mallocs they seemed a bit disappointed.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

HondaCivet posted:

It might be that your resume sucks, given that it's the common denominator between your applications and the lack of responses. Feel free to post it here and/or in the Resume thread in BFC.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sarcophallus posted:

It might be that your resume sucks, given that it's the common denominator between your applications and the lack of responses. Feel free to post it here and/or in the Resume thread in BFC.

I've gotten good feedback on it but I will try to remember to post it tonight or something.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

HondaCivet posted:

The standard advice continues to apply. Put code on Github, contribute on Stack Overflow. Give potential employers some idea that you know what you're talking about.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HondaCivet posted:

Talk to recruiters.

The human factor matters. The key thing is to land, and ace, interviews. If your resume (i.e. a 1-page advertising circular) isn't landing you the meetings you need, it's time to step it up and use more expensive, higher-hassle methods of advertising.

That is to say, if your resume doesn't get you interviews, you need to be open to burning time and effort on conversations with recruiters.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Talk to recruiters.

The human factor matters. The key thing is to land, and ace, interviews. If your resume (i.e. a 1-page advertising circular) isn't landing you the meetings you need, it's time to step it up and use more expensive, higher-hassle methods of advertising.

That is to say, if your resume doesn't get you interviews, you need to be open to burning time and effort on conversations with recruiters.

Do recruiters even deal with people with as little experience as me? I had one literally tell me that he couldn't help me unless I stayed at my job for a few more years.

I'm guessing resumes don't work unless you've worked somewhere cool? I've only worked at a power company.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

HondaCivet posted:

I have no experience or connections, and I've landed 23 technical phone screens/interviews/take-homes in the past 2 months since I began applying to development jobs, and that's mostly in a medium-sized US city with a not-that-hot tech community. I have a few projects on GitHub and links on my resume/cover letter to the hosted projects. After the interview is when they refuse to hire me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Do recruiters even deal with people with as little experience as me? I had one literally tell me that he couldn't help me unless I stayed at my job for a few more years.

I'm guessing resumes don't work unless you've worked somewhere cool? I've only worked at a power company.
Your work history is so boring I fell asleep halfway through your post.

I need to stop reading GBS 2.1.

edit: Are you only applying to places in your local area? I know the big names at least are in a bidding war for talent. I think they're generally willing to phone interview anyone who sounds halfway competent.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Recruiters will literally put you on their shitlist if you try and talk to them and aren't at least a Level 6 Software Developer

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Talk to recruiters.

Recruiters got me hired and learning fast as poo poo at the job I'm at now in very short time with nothing but an internship and a really crappy job at the time.

Watch out if you use multiple recruiters though - you might get double submitted, which is kind of bad. I had an agency do that to me without telling me, and I ended up looking like a moron because of it, so be ready to tell people to actually mind their p's and q's if you have to.

Also, of course, watch out for being massively lowballed. If you're getting an offer they're not going to boot you if you dare negotiate, and if they did, you don't want to be there anyway.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Getting your I-9 paperwork done as a remote hire can be a huge pain in the rear end due to conflicting state notary laws and such. Not incredibly relevant to programming, but I'm feeling very frustrated right now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bonds0097 posted:

Getting your I-9 paperwork done as a remote hire can be a huge pain in the rear end due to conflicting state notary laws and such. Not incredibly relevant to programming, but I'm feeling very frustrated right now.

What do you need notarized? I have worked remote for two different jobs and nobody has required anything notarized for the I-9 stuff. They just seemed perfectly happy accepting a scan or fax of my drivers license and passport for documentation. My current job is remote and they just wanted a scan of the documents and then used a third party service to have me fill out and sign the I-9 online.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Strong Sauce posted:

Recruiters will literally put you on their shitlist if you try and talk to them and aren't at least a Level 6 Software Developer

Oh no, are there some repeatable quests I can do to level up faster? :ohdear:

Yeah I've only been applying locally. I guess I assumed that being local would increase my appeal but maybe it doesn't matter that much if I'm willing to move? I was starting to look around Seattle since it's pretty big and close but if my experience isn't compelling then I'm not sure how much that would help.

I'll post up my resume tonight, maybe you guys can see the problem.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

What do you need notarized? I have worked remote for two different jobs and nobody has required anything notarized for the I-9 stuff. They just seemed perfectly happy accepting a scan or fax of my drivers license and passport for documentation. My current job is remote and they just wanted a scan of the documents and then used a third party service to have me fill out and sign the I-9 online.

This is my third remote job and the first time I've had trouble. Basically they want a notary to sign the I-9 and then an additional form which basically self-certifies their signature (which a notary can't do).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah I've only been applying locally. I guess I assumed that being local would increase my appeal but maybe it doesn't matter that much if I'm willing to move?
When you're discussing a 6 figure salary, spending a few hundred to fly a candidate out is pocket change. If your personal and family situations allow, you ought to be searching a broad geographic area.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you are willing to move then you should be applying for jobs in places you are willing to move to.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Are there recruiters willing to work with out of state applicants with no work experience? Like, could I talk to a recruiter in Cali, and one in Seattle, and one in NYC for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

Are there recruiters willing to work with out of state applicants with no work experience? Like, could I talk to a recruiter in Cali, and one in Seattle, and one in NYC for example?

Location doesn't matter unless they explicitly say so. Just apply. If you're unsure of your abilities but really good at bullshitting your resume, you can still apply but you might get caught pretty easily during the interview process.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 7, 2013