Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Mescal posted:

A long time ago I read about some examples of people sending weird things through the mail. Either unusual objects or letters addressed to "John, in like the eastern part of Montana." Or otherwise minimal in how they're addressed. Can anybody link me to writeups of things like this?

Bill Bryson talks about the latter in "I'm A Stranger Here Myself" which is a collection of his articles from a newspaper. Might be a starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Mescal posted:

A long time ago I read about some examples of people sending weird things through the mail. Either unusual objects or letters addressed to "John, in like the eastern part of Montana." Or otherwise minimal in how they're addressed. Can anybody link me to writeups of things like this?

Here's a thing, "Postal Experiments". My memory insists most of this article came from somewhere else, but I may be wrong.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I remember reading about this too, they did things like "that big green house where Ed used to live", or puzzles for the address. Their rate of delivery was quite impressive too. Sorry, but I can't remember anything more specific than that.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The now-defunct TechTV had a contest like that -- people sent in plastic lawn flamingos and all sorts of other stuff, with missing/incorrect address information, just to see what would actually arrive.

The resiliency of the USPS was actually really impressive

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BobKnob posted:

Is that something British people would do on a first date or something?

Neurophonic posted:

Punting is also the operation of moving a small canal boat with a stick.

Yes. But only if they are in a film with Colin Firth.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with GBS at the moment?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Robin Sparkles posted:

Where I'm from, punting is kicking a girl in between her legs.
That's more specifically a "oval office punt", no? General punting is just a type of kick. Like if you kick a ball really far.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

VagueRant posted:

That's more specifically a "oval office punt", no? General punting is just a type of kick. Like if you kick a ball really far.

It could also be referring to 'taking a punt' or a gamble.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Squish posted:

That's not really a small question, and you'd be better served reading the last few pages of the forums question thread and asking there if you can't find more information.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Squish posted:

It got upgraded to 2.1. :justpost:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've got some questions for you Americans. In America, what kind of songs (Christmas Carols?) are usually played around Christmas time? Is there like a common list? Also, is a group of people singing carols to strangers an actual thing?

You have Saturday morning cartoons, yes? Does that mean there's no school on Saturday? Or maybe it starts later? Also, are there Sunday morning cartoons?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

I've got some questions for you Americans. In America, what kind of songs (Christmas Carols?) are usually played around Christmas time? Is there like a common list? Also, is a group of people singing carols to strangers an actual thing?
This is wholly accurate. And yeah, caroling is a thing.

toanoradian posted:

You have Saturday morning cartoons, yes? Does that mean there's no school on Saturday? Or maybe it starts later? Also, are there Sunday morning cartoons?
There is no school on Saturday or Sunday. Saturday morning is a bloc of time typically reserved for cartoons by the networks, though I don't know if that's still a thing these days (I know it was when I was a kid).

Where the hell do you live that you have school on Saturdays?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Groups actually walk up to people's doors and sing like in movies/commercials? I'm in the bible belt "keep the christ in christmas/gently caress you if you say happy holidays" and have never seen this.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
French students can have classes on Saturday mornings. It depends on the school and which grade you're in. Some times it will only be once every two weeks. There's no school on Wednesday afternoons though. And holidays last way longer: 2 weeks for Halloween for example.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Groups actually walk up to people's doors and sing like in movies/commercials? I'm in the bible belt "keep the christ in christmas/gently caress you if you say happy holidays" and have never seen this.

Happens all the time, depending on where you are. I usually see a handful of carolers every year... last year we had two separate groups show up on our doorstep on Christmas eve alone.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Thanatosian posted:

Where the hell do you live that you have school on Saturdays?

Indonesia. We have up to grade 12 (except for private schools) 6 days of school every week. In elementary the hours per day of schooling start small (three hours) on grade 1 and go up to full days on grade 6. On grade 6-12 there's full 6 days of school, excluding the 'extra study sessions' for students in 6, 9 and 12th grade. On Saturday evenings we have boy/girl scouts session, learning semaphore/knots/morse code and such. To be fair, there are two 15-minute breaks every day. Also, on Fridays, for elementary to middle school, we can come home early after the Friday prayer at noon. Also also, for Ramadan the holidays are a month long, up to 40 days long in Islamic schools. Though in those you may have like a three-days session of staying on the school building, learning about Islam.

I'm not familiar with the concept of boy scouts 'badges' that you attach to your sash, though. The 'badges' I know are metallic ones pinned to the hat, and they basically tell you that you're a scout.

There's a flag-raising ceremony in American schools, yeah? Where you raise the country's flag, sing its anthem, then listen to the principal's speech, maybe have a salute and listen to the opening of your constitution? Is there a 'flag-raising' club? As in, a club that deals with the intricacies and rules of folding, unfolding a flag, attaching the ropes to them, the proper way to hold a rope and the rate at which you should pull and let the flag up, in time with the national anthem sung by the choir?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Indonesia. We have up to grade 12 (except for private schools) 6 days of school every week. In elementary the hours per day of schooling start small (three hours) on grade 1 and go up to full days on grade 6. On grade 6-12 there's full 6 days of school, excluding the 'extra study sessions' for students in 6, 9 and 12th grade. On Saturday evenings we have boy/girl scouts session, learning semaphore/knots/morse code and such. To be fair, there are two 15-minute breaks every day. Also, on Fridays, for elementary to middle school, we can come home early after the Friday prayer at noon. Also also, for Ramadan the holidays are a month long, up to 40 days long in Islamic schools. Though in those you may have like a three-days session of staying on the school building, learning about Islam.

I'm not familiar with the concept of boy scouts 'badges' that you attach to your sash, though. The 'badges' I know are metallic ones pinned to the hat, and they basically tell you that you're a scout.

There's a flag-raising ceremony in American schools, yeah? Where you raise the country's flag, sing its anthem, then listen to the principal's speech, maybe have a salute and listen to the opening of your constitution? Is there a 'flag-raising' club? As in, a club that deals with the intricacies and rules of folding, unfolding a flag, attaching the ropes to them, the proper way to hold a rope and the rate at which you should pull and let the flag up, in time with the national anthem sung by the choir?

In my Catholic schools (kindergarten through finishing high school, or age 5 to 18) we had announcements, a prayer, and said the Pledge of Allegiance every day. Nothing about the Preamble or flag raising or flag club.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

toanoradian posted:

Kinda to not really. We universally do the Pledge of Allegiance (usually broadcast over the school intercom, accompanied by some announcements) at the start of the day, and each classroom has a little flag to do it to. My elementary school had a flag outside, though, but there wasn't much ceremony to it. The school had a system of student hall monitors, and every morning and afternoon a few students (four I think?) from the group would go outside and raise and lower the flag according to the proper protocols (never let it touch the ground, and fold it into a triangle, but that's it). It was just them doing it all on their own, no other ceremony to it. ROTC (being military) probably did the same at my first high school with much more formality, but I can't speak to junior high or my second high school.

Edit:

Thanatosian posted:

This is wholly accurate. And yeah, caroling is a thing.

You forgot all the Manheim Steamroller :colbert:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

You forgot all the Manheim Steamroller :colbert:

and TSO

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kedo posted:

Happens all the time, depending on where you are. I usually see a handful of carolers every year... last year we had two separate groups show up on our doorstep on Christmas eve alone.

In college towns it's unbearable. So many goddamned carolers from the various choirs, often decked out in "Dickensian" garb.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

On the topic of Christmas, what do you guys think of 23andme kits for Christmas gifts?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

In my experience, it's mostly yuppies and theater people, so it's unsurprising that you don't have a ton of it in the Bible Belt.

DNova posted:

On the topic of Christmas, what do you guys think of 23andme kits for Christmas gifts?
Personally, I would love that as a Christmas gift, but I think most people would find it a bit morbid.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Kinda to not really. We universally do the Pledge of Allegiance (usually broadcast over the school intercom, accompanied by some announcements) at the start of the day, and each classroom has a little flag to do it to. My elementary school had a flag outside, though, but there wasn't much ceremony to it. The school had a system of student hall monitors, and every morning and afternoon a few students (four I think?) from the group would go outside and raise and lower the flag according to the proper protocols (never let it touch the ground, and fold it into a triangle, but that's it). It was just them doing it all on their own, no other ceremony to it. ROTC (being military) probably did the same at my first high school with much more formality, but I can't speak to junior high or my second high school.
This varies from school to school. We didn't even do the pledge of allegiance at my high school.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

DNova posted:

Strange as it is to me, many people do not want to know their genetic predisposition for illness, even if it is something with 100% lethality (like rare genetic mutations). Since it isn't something that usually comes up, it might be somewhat awkward to give this to people with that disposition. I would say that it would be appropriate only if someone has specifically said something about how cool that sort of thing is; otherwise it could be problematic for some of your recipients.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Douche4Sale posted:

Strange as it is to me, many people do not want to know their genetic predisposition for illness, even if it is something with 100% lethality (like rare genetic mutations). Since it isn't something that usually comes up, it might be somewhat awkward to give this to people with that disposition. I would say that it would be appropriate only if someone has specifically said something about how cool that sort of thing is; otherwise it could be problematic for some of your recipients.

Yeah, it's kind of touchy for some people. I already know I have a terrible genetic condition that could silently take me at any moment so I personally think it would be cool. I've come to terms with my potential fate but I have talked to a lot of people who see it as a Pandora's box.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a very large PDF document I need to convert to TIFF using group 4 compression. The issue is that parts of this document are in color.

I don't care about how the color portions look when I'm done, I just need free/cheap software that can take a PDF with renderable text and convert it to a group 4 TIFF. FGI has not thus far been helpful, as for whatever reason, the free converters I have been able to find have not worked (some of them won't do group 4 compression, some of them simply don't work on this file (probably because of the renderable text)).

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I have a very large PDF document I need to convert to TIFF using group 4 compression. The issue is that parts of this document are in color.

I don't care about how the color portions look when I'm done, I just need free/cheap software that can take a PDF with renderable text and convert it to a group 4 TIFF. FGI has not thus far been helpful, as for whatever reason, the free converters I have been able to find have not worked (some of them won't do group 4 compression, some of them simply don't work on this file (probably because of the renderable text)).

Have you tried imagemagick?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know where I can buy this shirt? Google is not showing me any love.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone know where I can buy this shirt? Google is not showing me any love.

E:it was called "ice mozz" and it appears to be discontinued and Dec 2012 was last mention of the shirt (staying sold out)

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 6, 2013

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Is there any way to see more than just the first page of a hidden/closed subforum?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Viperix posted:

Is there any way to see more than just the first page of a hidden/closed subforum?

You're probably looking at one where most of the posts have been archived, so you'll need the Archives upgrade for that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've read a few things about roughly predicting weather with the clouds, like in a book once or in this instructable.

But I'd really like to read about some of the reasons why, preferably in fairly short form. Like for example,

Instructables posted:

Altostratus are grey and/or blue clouds that cover the whole sky. They tend to indicate a storm some time in the very near future since they usually precede inclimate weather.

I'd really like to read a paragraph for each cloud that says something like "they indicate a storm in the near future, because as a warm and cold front mixes, it happens high up first and that forms heavy high clouds like altostratus, but the lower part of the front is sure to come soon and form storm clouds." I totally made that explanation up, but something like that.
I know it's a pretty specific ask, but if there are any meteorology nerds here, please recommend me something to read that explains this, cause I can't find one.

Alternately, is there still a meteorology/weather thread?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kidhash posted:

Have you tried imagemagick?
I am looking at it now, but is the fact that I have zero programming experience going to hamper my ability to use it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Squish posted:

The short, sure to annoy all parties version:
GBS over the years had become a hyper politically correct zone where jokes could often be considered bad form. It was the domain of serious-as-gently caress social justice warriors. It was pretty much intolerable unless one was a member of said social justice warrior coalition.
Admins remembered that this was a comedy website and so said stop reporting every single thing that gives you your bad feels or w/e. (Rule #4 in the new gbs rules, and really the most important one w/r/t the changes)

In a week or two the s/n ratio will improve and it'll be a legit interesting place to post again and only the de jure joke of the forums, instead of the de facto one.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Two unrelated questions:

1. I got a lot of shared files in Drive from work that I no longer need to access, but others might. How can I remove them without deleting them? Or since they were shared WITH me, will they simply be gone from my Drive folder when I delete them? (i hate clutter)

2. Engineers, why are roads built kind of with an upside down arc? I figure it's for weight distribution and maybe to allow rainfall to easily roll into the gutters? Here in LA some roads have so many lanes that if you're on the farthest right lane, you're basically at a 45 degree angle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

2. Engineers, why are roads built kind of with an upside down arc? I figure it's for weight distribution and maybe to allow rainfall to easily roll into the gutters? Here in LA some roads have so many lanes that if you're on the farthest right lane, you're basically at a 45 degree angle.
Not an engineer, but it's called "crowning," and yes, it's primarily for water.

http://youtu.be/tBqDhbqnLfs

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kedo posted:

Are you supposed to give them something?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Money for a charity normally, they rarely demand food now. I used to live in a cul de sac whose version of caroling was to slowly drive a pick-up truck around the streets, hauling a cavorting santa and an amateur-grade stereo which played "I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday" far too loud as elves went door to door with buckets asking for spare change.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On TV you see families having pancakes for breakfast as like a regular thing (except that they always are in too much of a rush and just run out without eating anything and the mother is very disappointed that they never eat breakfast together as a family any more). Is that actually a common thing in America, to cook pancakes for breakfast all the time? Or does it only happen on TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yes that is really stupid and it happens from all different countries. I think the obvious answer is it's much harder to act while eating and also the food was probably cooked an hour ago and is gross. It also means if they have to do more than one take they don't need more of it.